How are your older kids doing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-22-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a 4yo and an almost 2yo (boys).

My 4yo remembers me being pregnant with DS2, so he is nothing short of excited (everytime I go to an appointment, he asks why the midwife did not take the baby out!) and he always talks to and sings to and prays for the baby, and gets really excited when I buy stuff for the baby.

My 2yo is mostly clueless, I think..he thinks there is a baby in his belly, and he kisses my belly...but, that's about it...he has been REALLY clingy though - he wants ALL my attention these days...so I'm thinking maybe he senses something.... he also keeps saying he is a baby and he acts like a baby.

Anyway, just curious how old your LO's are, and how they are reacting..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 06-22-2011, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My 7 year old is really excited, she always says "I can't wait to hug Blobby!!" and asks to look at the week-to-week/how big is Blobby now. My 9 year old doesn't seem as excited, but he likes to get into the boy/girl debates.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#3 of 13 Old 06-22-2011, 08:07 PM

DD is 2.5, will be 3 by the time #2 arrives. She knows there's a baby in mommy's belly and that mommy's belly will get really big before the baby comes out, but she doesn't really understand anything past that. We watched an episode of Dora where Dora's mom is having a baby and Dora is singing about being a big sister. I thought it might help her kind of figure out what that means exactly. Of course, Dora's mommy has twins, a boy and a girl, so now DD is convinced that there is a girl baby AND a boy baby inside me. I hope she won't be too disappointed when only one baby comes out. We do plan on having her at the birth and I've shown her some birth videos on YouTube, which she actually really loves. She knows what a vagina is and that that baby will come out of mommy's vagina but again, I don't know if she really grasps the concept fully.

Wife to DH stillheart.gif 08/09 and SAHM to DD 09/08 and DS 11/11

Surprise! Expecting #3 Nov. 2013!
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36 yikes2.gif **40

#4 of 13 Old 06-23-2011, 12:19 AM

Cool, Mummoth - my dd is 9 and step-dd is 7 so our kids are all the same ages! I'm due with this one Dec 29. Will your children be attending the birth?

My girls are very excited and taking it all quite well. I can't imagine my dd being very OK with having a younger sibling as when she was littler - she needed a LOT. But all of a sudden - here's this incredibly  reasonable, polite, sweet 9 year old person! Are you at all daunted by taking on the baby/toddler years again? I am a bit - though I have a very helpful wonderful partner this time around. 

#5 of 13 Old 06-23-2011, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My older girls are very excited.  They're 7 & 5 - will be 8 & 6 when the new babe is born.  They still remember 2yo dd's birth.  My 2yo is having a different reaction than the others ever have.  When I read Baby on the Way, she identifies with the newborn rather than the older siblings.  She says, "I born.  Me born!" and if I explain that there will be another baby she gets frustrated with me.  I have watched a few water birth videos with her and she is interested but not excited the way her sisters were. 

I think that her role as baby in the family is different because her sisters are 5  & 3 years older.  She loves babies.  We'll just have to see how this plays out ... I will do my best to prepare her.

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#6 of 13 Old 06-23-2011, 11:30 AM

Caitlin (my daughters name, even spelled the same way!)~ DS was 2 1/2 when DD was born and he understood what was going to happen. It's a good age, because they understand well enough, but not TOO well... it wasn't a big deal to him at all. His reaction was literally "A baby! Time for cake!!" because I had bought a Dairy Queen cake and put it in the freezer for her birthday. I even had a 0 candle (he blew it out for her) He was more excited about singing happy birthday and having cake than his sister!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillary77 View Post

Cool, Mummoth - my dd is 9 and step-dd is 7 so our kids are all the same ages! I'm due with this one Dec 29. Will your children be attending the birth?

My girls are very excited and taking it all quite well. I can't imagine my dd being very OK with having a younger sibling as when she was littler - she needed a LOT. But all of a sudden - here's this incredibly  reasonable, polite, sweet 9 year old person! Are you at all daunted by taking on the baby/toddler years again? I am a bit - though I have a very helpful wonderful partner this time around. 

My kids will be in the house somewhere, but it's up to them if they want to be in the room or not. My mom asked me "Aren't you worried seeing that might traumatize Caitlin? What if she never has kids because of it?" LOL! I just said "Nah, she'll be fine!" but I can't imagine why mom would think that! I can't think of a time in my life where I thought "Going into this blind sure would have been easier!" but I can think of lots of times I thought "If only I knew it'd be like this, I wouldn't have worried about it!" 

I am totally freaked by the baby/toddler years all over again!! But it's the same for me, SO is a great dad and I'm going to have a ton more help. I could even handle it without much practical help, I think... I remember with XH, I used to think "If he'd just play with them for half an hour, I wouldn't complain." SO will be enthusiastic about all the little milestones and things... this is my first baby that I actually get to share.

Benny~ that is so cute! Do you know anyone who is pregnant right now? She might understand better if she knows a 2 year old that has a new sibling. Sometimes there's just no explaining though... my DD was upset when her cousin had a baby sister. She couldn't understand why this kid, who is younger than her, gets to be a BIG sister, and she was still a LITTLE sister. She was MAD about that one...

#7 of 13 Old 06-23-2011, 11:32 AM

Oh, and hillary... if you were born in 77, we're the same age, too!

#8 of 13 Old 06-23-2011, 01:25 PM

Hello, I am new here!!!:)

I am 12 wks 4 days pregnant with our 2nd child! Our son (8) is so so so so excited! He kisses my belly all the time! He got to see the baby twice now, 1st was to see how far along I was and second was today to check for some other things! He was just in awe of a little baby growing in Mommy's belly! He is so sweet! I have had some morning sickness, just once a morning and he comes in and rubs my back and gets me water!

I feel so extremely lucky to have such a caring son! He's going to be such a sweet big brother!

He hopes its a boy but tells me "It really doesn't matter Mom, I am just happy I am getting a a sibling" awwwww!!!

Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

#9 of 13 Old 06-25-2011, 09:43 AM

My girls, who are 8, 5, and 3, and crazy excited.  The older two are worried they will somehow miss the birth, and dd2 is also worried that "they" (I'm assuming she means a doctor, or maybe the midwife) will do something to put the baby in danger.  She loves to watch whatever birth shows are on cable, but she gets very upset when they "do" things to the mom or baby...IVs, pit drips, epidurals, etc.  So I've been redirecting her to youtube to watch a collection of homebirths with my 3yo, who love love loves to see babies being born.  Dd3 reminds me every night when I put her to bed that I need to feed the baby boob milk :)  All in all, they are very much enjoying the whole process -- they chat about names, whether it would be better to have a boy or girl, and they love to play "having a baby."    

#10 of 13 Old 06-26-2011, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My boys are also 4 and almost 2.. my 4yo understands, and he also remembers when his little brother was born. My 2yo doesn't really get it yet either. It's sort of a different dynamic though, because this one is not with their father, my x-h, so he has been trying to wrap his head around that. He asked me yesterday if his baby "sister" (we don't really know the sex yet) can come to his grandma's (where his father lives) with him.

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#11 of 13 Old 06-26-2011, 05:56 PM

Yes, Mummoth - born in '77!

Very cool - and when is your due date?

I'd say the biggest difference with this pregnancy is the number of people I will be sharing baby with! My partner is a very involved, engaged Daddy :) and the two girls 9 & 7 are also very actively interested in the whole process....we're a family of type A's. I'm sure that will present it's challenges but I'm very much looking forward to it - I was very isolated when my daughter was an infant - new town and her Dad really couldn't connect (with either of us). I adored her and we were a great little twosome but it would have felt so wonderful to share the experience!

#12 of 13 Old 06-26-2011, 06:01 PM

My due date is December 11th, but it'd be the first time I make it to the due date if it's born that day. My kids were born at 38 & 39 weeks. It will be awesome to be able to share the experience. My mom's friend had a baby brother who was much younger than the rest of them, and she says they all just adored him.

#13 of 13 Old 06-27-2011, 08:32 AM

Neither of my kids (7 and 2) seem to care a whit, but we've also been playing the whole pregnancy thing down quite a bit. It's just my personality, and the previous losses - I'm personally not too involved either, to be honest. I think the 7YO will get more excited as I get bigger. He really enjoyed singing to his sister when she was inside, and when she was born, she calmed down to ONLY his voice singing Twinkle Twinkle. It was pretty sweet.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page