Generally sore in my abdominal area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-30-2011, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's not sharp pain, there's no blood, it doesn't feel like cramps, but holy cow do I ache!! I thought maybe it was dehydration, as I know that I have a tendency not to drink enough in general, but the past two days I've had lots of extra water in addition to my other normal beverages (decaf and OJ in the am, tea or lemonade with lunch, milk with a snack and sparkling something or other with dinner), and still, I am sore. I also wonder if it's gas pains, but I don't know. Today I resorted to a pair of "control panties" - a pair that's never been overly tight and still isn't, just firmer support than my regular bikini undies, I don't have a belly band - and the support is helping some, but still... owie! Doesn't help that I've been trying to get the house ready for my sister and mom to come stay for a few days, so I've been doing more laundry and cleaning than usual the past couple of days. It'll be great to spend some time with them, and really nice to have their help getting some stuff done around here that I've been procrastinating about since I moved in last summer (like, what to do with sheets and towels when you have the Worlds Stupidest Linen Closet?)

So, as I typed this, I am thinking that the answer will be to take it easy a bit more and to keep drinking lots of water... any other ideas? I can take a Tylenol if it's really awful, right? I haven't had trouble sleeping really, but I can imagine that if it gets worse I might.

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2011, 11:18 AM

I get that too, especially when I either vomit too much (sorry TMI) or do too much during the day.  I look like a 90 year old by the end of the day if I've cleaned a lot.  Mine isn't constant, though so I haven't felt the need to take Tylenol or anything.  I think this is a period of a lot of growth (16-24 weeks), so maybe that's what is going on.  

Hope it gets better for you!! 

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

Old 06-30-2011, 07:47 PM

I think Wendiz is right-- it's mostly growth... this is my first so I don't have anything to compare to, but it really just feels like it's growing too fast-- not skin stretching pain... but just like my belly is almost too big... I hope it calms down, because I can't see it being fun is the pain/discomfort increases in proportion to the belly size... I haven't felt the need to take painkillers or anything, but it does affect my mood, I feel grouchy and tired of dealing with it. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 06-30-2011, 08:04 PM

I had that a few weeks ago-  but since this is my fifth pregnancy- I suppose that's not a shock. It felt like I'd done about 300 situps and my whole abdomen was just sore and achy. The only thing I've really found to help is time and making sure to strengthen your abs and back-  I find swimming is the ideal pregnancy exercise, and it's pretty hard to 'overdo'.  With each stroke you will stretch and tone those muscles gently and it is also soothing to remove the effect of weight-bearing exercise.  If you aren't up to truly exercising, simply floating can help to make things feel better. :)

On the upside, similar exercises postpartum can help to repair and tone stretched abdominal muscles.

If you want specific stroke/exercise ideas I can help you with those, but for now, you might just want to find a body of water and float about until the ache begins to fade. 

Old 07-01-2011, 07:59 PM

I'm 16 weeks, I felt like that the past couple weeks, and this week my belly has kind of "popped" my belly button is sticking out and my lungs etc feel squished...I feel huge (though I don't look it yet). My belly is rock hard (and I was overweight when I started this pregnancy by at least 30 pounds). So anyway, I think the pain was from everything stretching...it doesn't hurt as much now, but, I can't breathe!

Old 07-02-2011, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have been having some gas pains this time around more than usual.

I had some awful lower abdominal pains during my first pregnancy.  I don't remember how far along I was, but I really freaked out about it in the middle of the night and made my DP drive me to the emergency room to check myself out.  Turned out to be round ligament pains. 

I haven't felt them with my other pregnancies. 

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
Old 07-02-2011, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the "oh yeah, thats all normal" reassurance. I feel like thats what I need most often these days as a first timer. I did end up calling my midwife, and she said, oh yeah, thats normal as long as it feels like a muscular sensation, like a used or super stretched muscle. Any deeper pain or pain combined with other symptoms is not. Hot water in the shower felt amazing, I imagine a pool would be awesome. She said that Tylenol probably would not do much, and she was right. She thought chiropractic care might be helpful, and I might have tried it if I were already established with someone and it were not this weekend. She also suggested

We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

Old 07-02-2011, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, got interupted. She also suggested St Johns Wort a few times a day. And a heating pad has been great today took!

User Tag List