July Chat Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-26-2011, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraBella View Post

I'm finding out what we're having TODAY!

I'm also going to go over my birth plan with my OB.

This is my last week of summer school too.. So exciting!

Yay!!  How exciting!  So you are in Utah?  We were just there a few weeks ago (we are in Idaho) and I went to Lagoon for the first time ever.  My ds loved it!!  We plan on going every year now.  Lagoon is the perfect sized amusement park.  I also got to get in my Ikea fix for the summer.  :)

insidevoice - I can completely empathize with you.  Normally, I can put up with people and how they treat me, but not when I'm pregnant.  In fact, I have told my dad and step-mom (who haven't been out to see us in FOUR years!) that I am done trying to have a relationship with them.  In a year or so when all the hormones wear off, I might change my mind on that but right now I am so tired of having hope that they will be the grandparents/parents I have always wanted them to be.  Fortunately, I have a wonderful relationship with all of my half-siblings and aunt on that side.  

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendizbaby View Post

Yay!!  How exciting!  So you are in Utah?  We were just there a few weeks ago (we are in Idaho) and I went to Lagoon for the first time ever.  My ds loved it!!  We plan on going every year now.  Lagoon is the perfect sized amusement park.  I also got to get in my Ikea fix for the summer.  :)

Yes! I used to live in Farmington, just down the street from Lagoon :) Now I am more north, near *******, ID. Where in ID are you? I lived there when I was a teenager and lived in Shoshone and Boise (but went to school in Shoshone, Hailey, Twin Falls, and Gooding).

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
Old 07-26-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:

Yes! I used to live in Farmington, just down the street from Lagoon :) Now I am more north, near *******, ID. Where in ID are you? I lived there when I was a teenager and lived in Shoshone and Boise (but went to school in Shoshone, Hailey, Twin Falls, and Gooding).

I live in Meridian....which is pretty much Boise now.  You were all over!  Where in Boise did you live?  I have to ask....we stayed in Bountiful this last trip and I didn't really like it that much.  Is Layton better?  It looked like it had more restaurants.  

So......what are you having??? :)

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

Old 07-26-2011, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I live in Meridian....which is pretty much Boise now.  You were all over!  Where in Boise did you live?  I have to ask....we stayed in Bountiful this last trip and I didn't really like it that much.  Is Layton better?  It looked like it had more restaurants.  

So......what are you having??? :)

I don't remember the exact area.. but it was in-between downtown and Meridian.. somewhere, lol. Maybe a little North of the Mall? Off Cole? It's been sooo long (8-9 years?)!

I think both Layton and Bountiful are just sprawl, mostly. Farmington doesn't really have anywhere to stay besides camping at Lagoon, but it's very nice there otherwise. I really like the downtown SLC area the most, but its a good 15-20 min drive to Lagoon from there.

Oh.. and WE ARE HAVING OUR THIRD BOY! ELLIOT WILFORD is his name :)

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
Old 07-27-2011, 10:52 AM

My gosh- we have a whole bunch of boys coming along. :)  How exciting!

My three year old is a boy, and when I found out we were having a boy I was taken aback.  I had NO IDEA how to parent a boy.   Turns out, he does all the fun stuff I always wished his older sister wanted to do with me and is the super-cuddliest of my kids.  I curl up at night for a bedtime story with all the kids, but he's the one who holds my hand the whole time, snuggles up and gives tons of kisses.

We don't know yet what this babe will be, and while I admit I would LOVE to have a girl to 'even out' the kids, if it's another boy I'll be happy as well- simply because my little guys are adorable imps who make me smile so many times a day- at the moment, the three year old is stomping across the floor wearing one of my sandals and one of his sister's boots- just to see the difference in sound when he stomps- oops- now he's on to my flip flops! They are ll so much fun (mos days) that we simply want to celebrate our family. 

Old 07-27-2011, 03:33 PM

Yep....I love boys!  I'm sad that I won't ever have a girl, but I really do love having boys.  

SierraBella- I love the name Elliot.  I mentioned it to my husband and it doesn't "stand out" for him.  That's the 5th name he hasn't wanted...... :(

Old 07-27-2011, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yep....I love boys!  I'm sad that I won't ever have a girl, but I really do love having boys.  

SierraBella- I love the name Elliot.  I mentioned it to my husband and it doesn't "stand out" for him.  That's the 5th name he hasn't wanted...... :(

Thanks! My older boys are Oliver (2) and Sebastian (4). I'm out of boys names after this! #4 better be a girl, or he's getting a girl name, lol!

What names are on your list?

Old 07-27-2011, 05:16 PM

I was told a cool family name today! Evidently some guy (not sure who exactly..) was named Eleven, but they called him Levi ;)

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

Old 07-27-2011, 06:50 PM

My boy names: Ethan, Ian, Oliver, Elliot, Ashton, Riley.  Our first son's name is Simon and I thought we would stick with a British (sort of) theme.  No reason why...I guess I just like those names better.  

Since we're on names (can you ever get enough of names??), my girl names were: Olivia, Amelia, Sophia, Addelyn.

SierraBella...does everyone end up calling your Oliver, Oli?  That might bother me if I named my son Oliver, but I'm really wanting to push for that name.  My husband has not liked any of these names, by the way.  Which is so funny because he doesn't care about ANY decision I make regarding us, but this name thing seems to be something he is reallllly picky about!!

Old 07-27-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:

I have family in *******, Idaho :) Been there once, and coming from Ohio, I guess I didn't know what the boondocks were until then. :)

We are leaving tomorrow for our trip to Washington, I'm nervous and excited, and pray that I don't kill my husband, he's being a turd.

Melissa-Mama to Allyson carrot.gif 1-22-07 and Katelyn homebirth.jpg 5-14-09 and Paul 1-2-12 my 10 lb 6oz. homebirthed baby boy.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:23 PM

My oldest's name is Riley :) We really like it..

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

Old 07-27-2011, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

DH is on his way home from his moms! I'm hoping he'll stop at Clinton, where there's an SCA event going on... he knows a few people who will be there. He'd arrive there around midnight... if he decides to push through, he'll get home around... ugh, I shouldn't have looked at google maps... 4:30AM. He slept until 11 this morning, but I HATE when he does all nighters on the road!

We're going to start on Blobby's room this week, I want the dresser and change table put in there so I have something to sort clothes and blankets and things into.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My boy names: Ethan, Ian, Oliver, Elliot, Ashton, Riley.  Our first son's name is Simon and I thought we would stick with a British (sort of) theme.  No reason why...I guess I just like those names better.  

Since we're on names (can you ever get enough of names??), my girl names were: Olivia, Amelia, Sophia, Addelyn.

SierraBella...does everyone end up calling your Oliver, Oli?  That might bother me if I named my son Oliver, but I'm really wanting to push for that name.  My husband has not liked any of these names, by the way.  Which is so funny because he doesn't care about ANY decision I make regarding us, but this name thing seems to be something he is reallllly picky about!!

I love Ethan and Ian (and of course Oliver and Elliot, since I have both of those!)! And Simon is such a cool name! I also like Olivia, Amelia, and Sophia.. so much. I couldn't use Olivia or Sophia, personally, because of the popularity, so if I had a choose it would be Amelia (in fact Oliver would have been Amelia if he was a girl!).

We do call Oliver, Ollie. I like it though. It's a cute, uncommon nickname. We call my oldest, Sebastian, Sebby.. so Sebby and Ollie sound cute together too. We're going to call Elliot, Eli (Ee-Lie), most likely. I love their names in their full forms, but it everyone, including myself, just ends up shortening them anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammamo View Post

I have family in *******, Idaho :) Been there once, and coming from Ohio, I guess I didn't know what the boondocks were until then. :)

Oh yeah! Much of Idaho is Boondocks, lol. I actually live in Logan, UT which is 30 mins south of *******, and a very beautiful college city. :)

Old 07-28-2011, 11:29 AM

This was the week i finally was sure i felt the baby moving around, and its beating me up!  tomorrow is my 20 week mark, definatley starting to feel the pressure of acquiring and making everything i want to before the munchkin arrives!  i started making lists and they are numerous and long.  we arent even doing a nursery or anything but as a first time cloth diapering mom im empty handed.  i also love cooking and plan on stocking my freezer with many things heres my freezer list so far

10 loaves bannana bread (yum)

5 apple pecan bread

5 zuchinni bread

10 loaves regular bread

3 or four trays pumpkin muffins

maybe a soda bread or two

soups include

dahl

chili and cornbread

split pea

im canning crab chicken noodle 16 bean and minestrone (home canned soups are the best)

casserole dishes

polenta and mexican beans

lasagana with quorn fake meat sauce

green bean casserole

big huge bag of stuffing

and a cooked and seperated turkey (xmas babies call for advanced food making ) maybe ill double thanksgivings recipies and have an easy doublle)

10 savory pies

10 unsweetened sweet potato pies (so good we eat them in a day and they are like a meal)

5 apple

3 pumpkin

peach pies with home grown and home canned peaches

probably a few more extras thrown in (i love making pies)

odds and ends to be canned

apple sauce

homemade cranberry sauce

all my tomatoes and beets

oh and PErogies!

ANy other suggestions?

i feel like i may be going over board but takeout is disgusting and my dp eats a lot of food quickly

i swear my other lists are minimalist : D and will post later when i have them in front of me (im food obssesed so ive memorized my food list) hhahah

on another note! I finally found my dream midwife and am so excited now!!! was feeling very stressed about bouncing around with no one i really liked and running out of time to develop a relationship!

heartbeat.gifMomma to baby boy Ember.babyf.gifborn at home 12/22/11.  Madly loving his daddy Thimble guitar.gif since 6/26/09. 

Old 07-28-2011, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Rustydaisies: Wow! Do you have a big freezer for all that? I've intended to do a freezer stash with both my other births and it never happened, lol. I am REALLY going to try to this time! Here is what I want:

Lentil loaves

Lasagna

Casseroles

And I will likely stock up on Amy's TV dinners as well. I don't really know what else to make... gluten free vegetarian, that's about it! Maybe some GF black bean burgers?

Old 07-28-2011, 12:11 PM

My mom called me up months ago, before she knew we were pregnant, and said she wanted to do a round of "the big cook", which is basically freezer cooking. I got super excited, and we talked my sister and cousin into it--- and now everyone keeps coming up with excuses to put it off. I'm so excited to do it though, and can't wait to have a freezer full of easy meals. I suck at cooking, DHd oes the most of it, but since I'm going to be the one home (mat leave here is a year) I feel like I should be able to do most of it!

I love the idea of doing up a bunch of breads. I love banana bread, and there's no reason we couldn't do up a ton of it and freeze. 

In other food notes, I found a recipe last night for "pregnancy friendly cookie dough" that is meant to be eaten raw. My gosh it's wonderful. I've got a bowl of it in my fridge right now. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 07-28-2011, 12:18 PM

ive got a huge standing freezer thats completely empty, oh also i was going to pre assemble some meat and or bean crock pot meals and freeze so they just have to be thrown in the crock in the morning.  maybe ill start a new thread as a freezer stocking recipie thread.  ill post all my recipies, almost all can be vegan/ vegetarian and im sure with minor experimentation gluten free (except for the holiday foods those are full of butter, cream and cheese)  i dont u se white sugar when i bake i make all my fruit pies sweet in other ways, i usually dont use agave or honey or maple syrup either, so they are nutritious and filling same with the breads maybe alittle syrup here and there with things like pumpkin which can be really bitter.  this is one of the parts im super excited about, as well as making cut elittle wool diaper covers etc : )

heartbeat.gifMomma to baby boy Ember.babyf.gifborn at home 12/22/11.  Madly loving his daddy Thimble guitar.gif since 6/26/09. 

Old 07-28-2011, 12:46 PM

Oh my- the ambition here is overwhelming. bigeyes.gif

I'm SOOO not at the planning for after stage yet. I find that I don't really want big meals after I deliver- I just want things that are easy to snack on all the time.  I'll probably toss together a couple freezer meals if I have a chance, but beyond that it will be a matter of whatever appeals at any given moment.  Takeout will not be taboo. :P  DH is going to take a week or so off, after that I should be on top of things just fine again. 

My current consideration is what furniture I want to have in the playroom. I'm not too worried about the tiny baby- that tends to take care of itself.  Making sure the older kids are occupied and happy is my greater concern. 

Old 07-28-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustydaisies View Post

ive got a huge standing freezer thats completely empty, oh also i was going to pre assemble some meat and or bean crock pot meals and freeze so they just have to be thrown in the crock in the morning.  maybe ill start a new thread as a freezer stocking recipie thread.  ill post all my recipies, almost all can be vegan/ vegetarian and im sure with minor experimentation gluten free (except for the holiday foods those are full of butter, cream and cheese)  i dont u se white sugar when i bake i make all my fruit pies sweet in other ways, i usually dont use agave or honey or maple syrup either, so they are nutritious and filling same with the breads maybe alittle syrup here and there with things like pumpkin which can be really bitter.  this is one of the parts im super excited about, as well as making cut elittle wool diaper covers etc : )

Yes!  Let's start a thread on that!

I actually haven't started thinking about after either.  I'm obsessing over where to buy a decent quality but not crazy expensive dresser for the baby's room that I can also use as a changing table.  Double drawer dressers are so expensive.  

I digress.....what I have thought of making so far:

-About 8 loaves of zucchini bread from all of the zucchini my MIL gives me in the fall

-I'm already stocking up on soup as I make it.  I lay it out flat in ziploc bags, so I can fit it all in my freezer.

-regular bread for the freezer as I make it

-breakfast muffins.  something healthy and yum.  

-pasta dishes like lasagna or a penne casserole 

That's it so far.  We don't have an extra freezer, so I'm limited.  I also LOVE to cook and bake, but barely have the energy to do one dish.  I'm hoping I get back all of my energy for Fall when I bake the most.  Can't wait for October/November to get here!!!

Old 07-28-2011, 02:44 PM

now if only i could get my oven to work ha!  defiantely time for a new one it works for four days the mysteriously stops working im going through oven food withdrawal.  eat.gif

Old 07-28-2011, 03:12 PM

Different subject - 

I listened to an interview today on NPR (my preggo brain cannot remember which show it was), with this lady that has a podcast interviewing people about the first months of their life with their newborns.  When I'm going through something, I always like to watch or listen to other people going through the same thing.  Just makes it more bearable, I guess.  Anyway, the podcast's name is The Longest Shortest Time and I just found it in the iTunes podcast store.  It's free and it looks like there are about 10 episodes.  I listened to a clip of one and it was really good.  I also plan on watching Up All Night this Fall season on NBC.  If you haven't seen the previews it's about two parents with a newborn and their struggles.  It's a comedy with Christina Applegate.  I'm sure I'll be on the couch a lot those first few months, so I need to find stuff to keep me entertained.  :)

Old 07-28-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:

I'm obsessing over where to buy a decent quality but not crazy expensive dresser for the baby's room that I can also use as a changing table.  Double drawer dressers are so expensive.  

Check Craigslist!

Old 07-28-2011, 04:32 PM

Jesusfollower, I usually do buy used and fix them up (one of my favorite pastimes), but I'm feeling sort of lazy about this piece of furniture. Unless I can find exactly what I'm looking for. But I agree, I could probably get a more quality piece if I bought used and fixed it up.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:37 PM

I love reading this busy thread! I need to post here more often. ;)

Hubby is naming our baby. I wanted Emmett, he is choosing Eli Paul. I like it and am happy with it. 

Also, I am SO inspired by the cooking and freezer stocking ideas here. We have 3 freezers and I am going to clean them out this afternoon or tomorrow. Then I will know what I have and what I need to buy and make. We are blessed to belong to a community who cooks and delivers meals for mamas and their families every time we have new babies. I can count on 10 meals from those friends.

I have the dresser ready for baby. It is out in our living room and full of odds and ends now, but I will clean it out this week and start putting jammies, blankets, diapers, etc into it. I am totally nesting! I painted my kids' entire bedroom yesterday and have been shopping for maternity clothes. This is the best part of pregnancy!

Still not feeling much movement, do not like that, but praying for the best for this little one.

I am totally looking forward to fall! I LOVE October and November.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:54 PM

I need some advice on how to freeze stuff! We need a thread!

Old 07-28-2011, 08:43 PM

im trying to squash my nesting urge into making lists for now, my dp lost a baby at 7 months 8 years ago in an old relationship, so i think aquring things is on a back burner he seems to get upset about it and doesnt want anything until 8 months.  im trying to explain that i cant aquire everything in a month at good prices, feeling frusterated

Old 07-28-2011, 09:09 PM

See if you can get the Dream Dinners cookbook out of your local library/inter library loan. Even if you don't like the recipes, the suggestions for how to package, freeze and cook later were really helpful to me. I've been able to put together some non-DD favorite recipes to freeze using their tips. (Plus I liked some of the recipes... bonus!) Basically, I freeze stuff mostly prepared (may need to combine stuff from a few bags/containers later, but all the prep is done and everything to make the recipe is already in the bag/container), write the cooking instructions on whatever I've frozen the stuff in, and then it's ready to go when it's thawed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post

I need some advice on how to freeze stuff! We need a thread!

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

Old 07-29-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:

That's it so far.  We don't have an extra freezer, so I'm limited.  I also LOVE to cook and bake, but barely have the energy to do one dish.  I'm hoping I get back all of my energy for Fall when I bake the most.  Can't wait for October/November to get here!!!

this is me, I hope I can get some baking done this fall, Ive gone through most of what I have in the freezer and our cow wont be ready until march or so

Melissa-Mama to Allyson carrot.gif 1-22-07 and Katelyn homebirth.jpg 5-14-09 and Paul 1-2-12 my 10 lb 6oz. homebirthed baby boy.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustydaisies View Post

im trying to squash my nesting urge into making lists for now, my dp lost a baby at 7 months 8 years ago in an old relationship, so i think aquring things is on a back burner he seems to get upset about it and doesnt want anything until 8 months.  im trying to explain that i cant aquire everything in a month at good prices, feeling frusterated

Because I am so high risk, and because we are moving before the baby arrives, I will be packing most of the 'getting' into a month or two.  It isn't too bad when you remember that you don't need a LOT of stuff off the bat, and if you set aside the money in advance. I got myself a prepaid Visa- I transfer a certain amount to it each month so I will have it when I do go baby shopping. I can access it if I need to, but having it on the card makes it less likely to be spent than having it in an account or as cash. It also lets me feel like I am doing something. 

Old 07-29-2011, 05:34 PM

oh my gosh. I just read through this thread and you all are making me tired!!!! lol

We just moved into a bigger house to share with my SIL and her kids...thankfully we did this now and not 2 weeks before my due date like last time, because the house needs even more work than we thought it would. The electricity wasn't on until we moved in, so we had nothing but the previous tenant's word to go on that everything worked. Well.....the AC doesn't work and it's 107 some days outside. My SIL has a unit in her room and we got one for our room, but it's like dying a slow death trying to function in the rest of the house. The poor kids are all going stir crazy because nothing is unpacked/put away (because it's too hot inside or out to do anything but lay on the couch and eat popsicles). I'm shooting for a box a day but even that seems to be a stretch on top of keeping up with the housework and the kiddos.

So there is lots of work in my future, but I don't think it includes a freezer stash! lol.

By the way, speaking of names, does anyone have any really good Hispanic baby names? Boy or girl, since we don't know the gender? I picked Maricela for a girl and Jairo for a boy, and SO hates them both. :( I just can't find a single boy name that we both like. And I'd really like to find an "A" name if it's a girl, since the family already has an Alexia, Alena, Alisa, and Ariel, and I think it would be cute, but I'm stumped on that too. Help?! 

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

User Tag List