Possible sciatica pain...help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-03-2011, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am having amazing pain in my butt.  It happens whenever I stand for long periods or am moving around a lot.  The pain is horrible.  I'm pretty sure it's my sciatica.  We're packing up our place and I did about 3-4 hours of packing yesterday and I ended up limping around because the pain was so bad.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  Does anyone know what can be done to help?

Married to my love.  Expecting #1, EDD:12/23!  Hoping for a waterbirth.jpg at a birth center.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 07-03-2011, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I had it with my daughter and was prescribed massage :) They have tables with a  little hole in the middle for your baby bump to poke through!

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#3 of 14 Old 07-03-2011, 03:52 PM

That stinks!  Massage, maybe PT and a chiro that treats pregnant women can all help.  Make sure you are sleeping with a pillow or two between your knees/ankles so that your leg is about hip height to aid in spinal alignment.  I find a warm bath helps me.  Also avoid sitting on a hard chair and try standing with one leg resting on a stool if it feels good to round your spine.  Cat/cow stretches, unless they hurt, are good for me too. 

Jane: mama to 3 angels and The Champ(11/08) and Baby Z appearing in December

#4 of 14 Old 07-04-2011, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Sleeping with a pillow between my legs is the only way I sleep now.  Otherwise my back hurts big time.  After standing at work for 7 hours yesterday I was limping around.  All I wanted to do was lay or sit when I got home.  I tried a shower, but the water hitting it didn't make it feel good.  I thought about a bath, but I thought it would hurt to sit on the hard surface.  Maybe I'll suck it up and try a bath today.  Putting my legs up or laying on the opposite side of the pain helps.  I'll definitely try those stretches.  As for massage, I think I might be able to handle a massage prescription!  

Married to my love.  Expecting #1, EDD:12/23!  Hoping for a waterbirth.jpg at a birth center.

#5 of 14 Old 07-04-2011, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My prenatal massage worked wonders for sciatica pain.  The relief was temporary, but still worth it.

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#6 of 14 Old 07-04-2011, 08:23 PM

try sleeping on your left side with a pillow between your legs.  i haven’t had sciatic pain (yet?) with this pregnancy, but with my last one it was so severe i was considering physical therapy.  thankfully, simply adjusting the way i slept did the trick!

mama to four
eliza jane 7.07 :: henry cale 8.07 :: naomi penn 7.09 :: simon otto 12.11

#7 of 14 Old 07-06-2011, 10:03 PM

I have the same thing and my chiropractor thinks it is piriformis syndrome which is a type of sciatica.  He recommended focus massage to the area and some stretches.  I have found that sleeping with a pillow between my legs helps but it is still present especially after a long day at work.

mama to dust.gifdd 8/09 and slingtwin.gif dd + ds 11/11

#8 of 14 Old 07-09-2011, 04:59 PM

I had it horribly like you do, I even moved when I was like 22 weeks. My lower back/butt hurt so bad by about 24 weeks that I could not walk. My doc sent me to physical therapy(which was a 45 minutes massage with heat before and cold after) and then the therapist would rotate my legs and hips and stuff. I had it every other week until 38 weeks!!! Luckily I had good insurance then and it was paid for.

Student Mother  and Wife hang.gif 29 married to DH 31 jammin.gif since 03 Zoe Elizabeth Jane 4.75 energy.gif and Jace Aaron Edward 12/12/11 babyboy.gif

#9 of 14 Old 08-16-2011, 03:17 AM

I suffered a ruptured disk a few years back that led to major sciatic pain. As a last ditch effort before scheduling back surgery I went to an acupuncturist. The results were amazing. A year of PT, chiro, massages and eventually epidural cortisone injections had not given me more than minimal relief, but after six sessions with a great acupuncturist I was 90% better. I've had annual follow-up sessions for the last three years when I've had minor flare-ups and just scheduled a series of treatments starting this coming Thursday (my first sessions while pregnant--my sciatic is acting up a bit and I want to nip it in the bud). I used to be a total needle skeptic, but now I cannot say enough good things about acupuncture for pain relief! I talked to an OB here (I'm home in Hawaii for the summer) and she was all for it--even said she's had women who brought in their acupuncturist to the delivery room for pain management during labor!
#10 of 14 Old 08-16-2011, 04:58 AM

That's miserable! I've had it with a few of mine and chiro has been a lifesaver. Now I make a point of going every week once I hit the third trimester. Lots of other great suggestions here. I hope you feel better very soon!

#11 of 14 Old 08-16-2011, 05:12 PM

This may sound overly simplistic, but I've found that hanging out on my hands and knees for a couple of minutes when my sciatica is acting up, relieves it. I may have to repeat a few times on days it is bad, but I think in my case it helps the baby and the uterus come forward off whatever other nerve/muscle bundles they are sitting on, causing me to irritate the sciatic nerve. 

#12 of 14 Old 08-16-2011, 10:24 PM

I have had great results from both acupuncture and chiropractic (not even at the same time) for my pregnancy sciatica.

Semi-crunchy mama to DD (7/06) and DS (8/08), and thrilled to be 
belly.gif due around mid-December 2011, and planning another h20homebirth.gif
#13 of 14 Old 09-29-2011, 08:42 PM

I had some results from both massage and chiropractic, but found that I needed to ice it a lot as well. This website had some good easy ideas.

http://backpainandpregnancy.blogspot.com/2008/11/sciatica-real-pain-in-backside.html

#14 of 14 Old 10-01-2011, 01:28 PM

My Midwife suggested extra B-complex...worked pretty well for me :)

Kyla Rae (5yr)   Casey IV (3 yr) h20homebirth.gif  Hazel (6weeks) h20homebirth.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page