It's a bit early.. but what are you wearing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 07-14-2011, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

during your birth?

I'm super excited.. I just want to work to make my hospital birth as home birthy as possible.. and meaningful.. so I asked my mom to make me a wrap skirt to wear during early labor, going to the hospital, etc.. I just feel like it will be so empowering to have something my mom made because she won't be able to be there.. let alone I feel like it's awesome to buck the system of wearing  a big frumpy gown ;)

So here's the pattern I found.. http://deepwaterjournal.blogspot.com/2009/03/miracle-wrap-skirt-pattern-and.html not sure what kind of material I'm going to go after, but I'm thinking I'll pair it with a tank top.. (and obviously a coat since it's december ;)

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#2 of 21 Old 07-14-2011, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'll probably wear my favourite comfy pajamas. I still have the big old grubby t-shirt that I wore when I had my other kids.  But I've since stripped my hair in it a few times, and painted in it few times... it's covered in blotches and has a lot more holes in it than when I had my other two!

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#3 of 21 Old 07-14-2011, 08:12 PM

A comfy bathing suit top, and I'd like to have some sort of wrap top- either a sweater, or I might have my mother in law make me a shawl type thing. If not I'll probably get it from the thrift store. 

For bottoms, I think a short flowy skirt, and I'd also like to have a pair of really comfy loose cotton pants. 

Basically-- absolutely not a hospital gown... but since we'll be at the house, and then transferring to the hospital hopefully close to transition, I want to be able to put on and peel off layers as needed. And I know I'm the type who even when I'm hot, I like to be covered... so the house will probably be cold. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#4 of 21 Old 07-14-2011, 08:13 PM

Hospital gowns, I'm sure.   Not a fashion statement, but I also don't have to wash them and have no qualms about changing them a million times. 

As far as during- I will either be hiding in a shower or tub, or having a c-section (probable)  so I don't care about clothes at that time. 

Immediately AFTER though, I'll be in blue jeans and a comfortable (but fitted!) top so I can enjoy having a waist again. (I tend to truly go back to 'normal' within about 2 hours.  I still have weight to LOSE, and toning to do, but within a couple hours I don't look like I have ever been pregnant. After DD was born at 5 am, I walked into the nursery at about 6am with her so the pediatrician could examine her and he asked if her mom was sleeping. :P)  If i do have the c-section, my jeans my be out the window in favor of yoga pants for a couple weeks. 

#5 of 21 Old 07-14-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidevoice View Post

Hospital gowns, I'm sure.   Not a fashion statement, but I also don't have to wash them and have no qualms about changing them a million times. 

That's my philosophy too.  I'll probably have a tank top or sports bra or something (that may or may not last) with the hospital gown over top.  I'm planning on spending lots of time in the shower/tub as well so it sounds nice to have something flimsy and easy and not-mine to throw back on in between sessions.

However, that wrap skirt is ridiculously cute!  Can your mom make one for me too please?  :)

#6 of 21 Old 07-15-2011, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

You know, I can't remember what I wore for any of my births.  Probably a nursing bra of some sort and a hospital gown.  The only thing I remember is that birth was a messy, messy affair and I was glad to not be wearing any of my own clothes.  

And after birth, I wore the gown and those funny, stretching underpants the hospital gives you and a sweater of my own.  I love those ridiculous panties from the hospital.  There is something so wonderfully familiar about them now.  I know I'll put them on and sigh with the satisfaction of being all done, being a new mama again and being ready to go home and start our life with our new babe.  

I love the idea of having a hand made item to wear from a loved one.  That is really special and wonderful way to connect with someone who can't be there.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#7 of 21 Old 07-15-2011, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Not something I really think about...with my two previous births I ended up totally naked before it got messy.

DS1 2/08, DD 1/10, DS2 12/11...#4 EDD 10/24 

Home schooling, home birthing, breastfeeding, bed sharing family!

#8 of 21 Old 07-15-2011, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've always worn a maternity bathing suit top - tankini style.  Usually shorts/pajamas on the bottom until I get in the tub. 

My first birth was at the hospital, and for some reason I was not allowed to wear a top while I was in the garden tub.  I am a modest person and random hospital staff was in and out of  the room - I draped a towel across my chest for the majority of my labor.  Also, it was very cold at the hospital and once dipped in the warm water the towels provided some warmth. 

That is my big warning to mothers who have hospital births during winter:  bring some warm items like a button/zipper-up sweater!!

My DP bought adorable matching nursing gown & pajamas for baby & me to wear once we were out of the water last time around.  The nursing gown was not frumpy at all.  It had a v-neck and a cute froggy print.  This time around, I think I'll go for something more like this:

Motherhood Maternity nursing gown

and this:  Motherhood Maternity nursing pajamas

ETA:  another link

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#9 of 21 Old 07-15-2011, 08:58 AM

Glad to I'm not the only one who plans to wear lots. I'm sure around the house I'll end up in not much clothes, but I want the option of covering in the hospital. 

I have these for afterwards too, that I was given when I still worked at the store:

baby001.jpg

Even though I'm pretty sure the outfits won't fit baby yet, the jammies are very comfy, both tops are nursing, and I like that they are a dark red to kind of hide any leakage if I do have any. One of the pairs I've almost worn through the pants already (I wore them for quite a while before deciding to put into storage for real baby time), so I'll probably wear those pants, in case they stain and I have to throw them out. 

BennyPai likes this.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#10 of 21 Old 07-15-2011, 09:08 AM

Jeninejessica, cute outfits!  heartbeat.gif This is one of the fun parts for me - planning details around the birth. 

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#11 of 21 Old 07-15-2011, 09:17 AM

I'm finding it fun, but moreso, it's helping me to feel more in control of my hospital birth. Like it's now something I'm participating in and planning, rather than something that I'm being forced into, you know? I've got lists upon lists on the computer for things to bring, or ideas for birth plans, and foods to have for in the house later, etc etc... I probably won't end up completing half the lists, but in the meantime, it's good to be focused on something positive. :)

The baby outfits will probably fit better at Christmas (I'm due Dec1), so I'm totally gonna pull a "I'm a new mom and can wear whatever I want", and wear PJ's to all the family gatherings. lol

BennyPai likes this.

#12 of 21 Old 07-16-2011, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

I'm finding it fun, but moreso, it's helping me to feel more in control of my hospital birth. Like it's now something I'm participating in and planning, rather than something that I'm being forced into, you know? I've got lists upon lists on the computer for things to bring, or ideas for birth plans, and foods to have for in the house later, etc etc... I probably won't end up completing half the lists, but in the meantime, it's good to be focused on something positive. :)

I love this!  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#13 of 21 Old 07-16-2011, 09:16 AM

NEKKID!  There is no way in hell you will get me to cover my breasts or anything else. My children are placed on my bare chest at .5 seconds old and I'm not about to deal with removing a bathing suit to do so. Anyone offended by my nudity (or my husbands) can take themselves outta the house and quite frankly outta my life.

#14 of 21 Old 07-17-2011, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

OH yeah, I may end up naked at some point.. but I know during actual labor I will want to have clothes on.. just something I *know*

I'm tempted though, to cut the bottom out of a  bathing suit I have (it's sort of like a retro swim dress..) so that my nether region is assessible but not exposed ;)

We'll see!

Jessica -- I totally agree!!! I want this to be on MY terms, and I feel like the more I plan for things that arne't necessarily hospital norm the better I'll feel. I'm def going for the homebirth in a hospital feel :)

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#15 of 21 Old 07-17-2011, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarena View Post

NEKKID!  There is no way in hell you will get me to cover my breasts or anything else. My children are placed on my bare chest at .5 seconds old and I'm not about to deal with removing a bathing suit to do so. Anyone offended by my nudity (or my husbands) can take themselves outta the house and quite frankly outta my life.

Just curious, is your husband going to be naked for your birth as well?

#16 of 21 Old 07-17-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post

Just curious, is your husband going to be naked for your birth as well?

yup, he gets in and out of the tub with me a million times, it is not practical for him to be clothed. He wants/needs to focus on me, not  trying not to let swim shorts drip everywhere or changing clothing 600 times and having a stash of water appropriate clothing ready. He was unclothed for the last two births with the knowledge and support of my midwives. Also, we believe that giving birth is primal, just like the creating of him or her :)

mamaecho likes this.
#17 of 21 Old 07-17-2011, 10:22 PM

As for access etc (cutting the bottom of the bathing suit out) I was thinking of checking the after summer sales for one of those little bathing suit-skirts. That way it's nice and short and out of the way, but I still feel like my bum is covered. I know most people say they prefer being naked, but I can't see it for myself. Anyways, it's easier to plan for clothes and then take it all off, right?

#18 of 21 Old 07-18-2011, 08:14 AM

I pretty much imagine the clothes will eventually come off.  Maybe just a robe for when I'm not in the tub.  To start probably a nightgown.  I don't know if I'll want pj pants on or not.  I doubt the husband is getting naked with me.  

Married to my love.  Expecting #1, EDD:12/23!  Hoping for a waterbirth.jpg at a birth center.

#19 of 21 Old 07-28-2011, 12:36 AM

Well, in early labor there is no way I'd ever be at the hospital unless there was a medical reason!  For the actual birth, I like to wear what I always wear-- a combo nursing bra/camisole and a gown if there is even time to put one on-- maybe.

AFTER the birth is when I want my own clothes.  It is such a difference to be in the hospital in your own clothes!  I bring comfy ones like black sweatpants (make sure you change your pads a LOT-- just saying) and my own shirts.  I feel so much better in them than worrying about that darn gown showing too much!  And they are so hard to nurse in . . .

So extremely sweet about the skirt.  I love that it will be a reminder of her for you.  A great reason alone to wear it!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#20 of 21 Old 07-28-2011, 07:14 AM

With my first I was naked up until my hospital transfer- then wore the hospital gown.

My second I was either naked or wearing a wrap/sarong the whole time.(birth center)

This one I will be in the hospital, probably naked in the tub. Then they'll likely make me wear the gown while giving birth.

I need to get some nursing gowns for the hospital stay.

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#21 of 21 Old 07-28-2011, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so excited, I found a swim skirt in my drawer, so one less thing we have to buy :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page