What have you purchased for the baby so far? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 07-27-2011, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My friend (who does not have a car) said it makes no sense to keep buying cheap strollers when they break, are hard to use, etc.  Better to invest more money into something that is worth it.  Some strollers out there are $ just for the name, but if you find a good quality one, why not?  There is so little you actually "need" to buy for a baby, and if you need this-- go ahead!  You could get one used and save some $, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

But secretly, I am doing lots of on-line browsing of high-end, fancy strollers.  I walk so much and have always had cheapy strollers.  I had the chance to use a really good one and it was heaven, like butter.  I loved it.  And now I have stroller envy.  

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#32 of 36 Old 07-27-2011, 11:00 AM

So far I haven't bought anything. My DS is only 14 months so we pretty much just did the whole baby shopping thing. If this baby is another boy (we find out tomorrow!) we have everything we need. If its a girl then we'll get some girly clothes:) My DS was born in May and this baby will be a winter baby so we'll need more long sleeved and footed sleepers, but other than that we don't "need" anything. I think by this time with DS I already had almost everything plus a nursery set up. This time I just don't feel the pressure to "get ready:)"

#33 of 36 Old 07-27-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius View Post

My friend (who does not have a car) said it makes no sense to keep buying cheap strollers when they break, are hard to use, etc.  Better to invest more money into something that is worth it.  Some strollers out there are $ just for the name, but if you find a good quality one, why not?  There is so little you actually "need" to buy for a baby, and if you need this-- go ahead!  You could get one used and save some $, too.

Agreed! We only have one car, and DH will likely be using it most of the time for work, so I'm hoping to get by on the bus/walking. The grocery store is about a 15 minute walk from us if I speed walk, so I'm hoping to do a lot of small walking trips for that. Also just being able to spend our days outside exploring, which I know I'm more likely to do if I have a stroller that is easy to use and pushes well. Also the buses near our house aren't very crowded, so I want something I can get on the bus and go to the zoo for the day, or the library etc. I know I wont want to do that with most of the travel system strollers I've used. 

(Can you tell I'm still trying to justify the cost to myself a bit? lol)

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#34 of 36 Old 07-29-2011, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Oh yes, I think I may have mentally justified the expensive stroller.  A friend just passed on a lovely infant car seat, a convertible toddle seat and loads of clothes.  I literally have no big ticket items to buy.  And we just moved home from Europe where I walked and walked and walked.  It was so good for me.  I was in better shape, lost weight and was happier.   I think the mental boost from being outside everyday and moving my body might just be the best justification of them all. 

I have been spending a lot of time at stollermama.com watching their videos.  They do a nice job of showing the strollers, collapsing them and showing all the different configurations. 

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#35 of 36 Old 07-29-2011, 07:23 AM

I stopped at the Salvation Army thrift store the other day, and bought an adorable little red fleece sleeper type outfit with a pointed "elf" hood, decorated with a couple of sweet, white, embroidered snowflakes on it. The cuffs on both the arms and legs fold over, so you can have hands and feet in or out. Perfect for a little Dec/Jan baby!! And good for either a girl or a boy, which is good because we don't know yet which we're having.

I too have most of our big ticket items coming from friends. We'll get a crib ourselves, because it's expected and I don't feel like fighting that fight, and who knows - I've heard of babes who don't like co-sleeping and sleep better in their own space. We'll play it by ear and go with what gets everyone in the family the most sleep.

I do want to hit up a local baby gear consignment shop and get one of those blankets with a toy arch above it. I want to take it apart and make my own, and I need the arch pieces. I hate the material the store bought ones are made of, and want to make the blanket part of flannel with bamboo or wool batting between the layers. Then I'll cover the arches with a complementary fabric.

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#36 of 36 Old 07-29-2011, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremamaheather View Post

I do want to hit up a local baby gear consignment shop and get one of those blankets with a toy arch above it. I want to take it apart and make my own, and I need the arch pieces. I hate the material the store bought ones are made of, and want to make the blanket part of flannel with bamboo or wool batting between the layers. Then I'll cover the arches with a complementary fabric.

That's a great idea!   We were given one of those blankets and I hated the cheap polyester fabric.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page