What have you purchased for the baby so far? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 07-20-2011, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I bought a few sleepers at a used store. All in yellows and greens. Soft, comfy ones. My babes live in jammies for the first year or so.

I also got a brand new bucket car seat for this little one at the same store. Never used and made in 2009.

We just found out today that we are having a boy, so I might buy a few blue things. ;)

What about you gals?

#2 of 36 Old 07-20-2011, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Have we already had a thread on this topic? LOL!

#3 of 36 Old 07-20-2011, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't know if there is another thread on this topic..

I haven't bought a single thing for this baby! I think as soon as we find out the sex we'll start getting stuff. I have a bucket seat that is good until Dec 2012, and I think all I need is NB diapers and NB-9m clothes- if it's a boy (I have some clothes from about 9m+ but all boy clothes). Baby sleeps with us, and I still have receiving blankets. What more do I need? (really I am asking because I've totally not thought about any thing we need, besides some NB clothes)

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#4 of 36 Old 07-20-2011, 10:37 PM

We have not bought much...a few organic footed pajamas, and a few things here & there from the thrift store. We are waiting to find out gender (Next Monday the 25th!) and then I will know if I am going to be reusing some of my daughter's baby clothing, or needing to get a few less feminine outfits (although I am much more of a purple/green person vs. pink/blue). I have learned though that less is more where baby stuff is concerned! Seems to multiply itself around the house when baby comes...

#5 of 36 Old 07-21-2011, 07:54 AM

I haven't even been shopping to look!  I knitted a hat for a friend's baby that ended up too small so I might keep it for myself.  And another friend dropped off a box of those soft books and blocks.  Those are my baby supplies so far.  I have relatives visiting in about a month, so I expect we'll be getting some gifts from them and to do a little shopping then.  

#6 of 36 Old 07-21-2011, 08:51 AM

Too much!  Or I shouldn't say I have purchased, so much as "amassed". We've collected stuff over the years, and we've been given a tons of stuff, both in the past and recently. I have:

-all the clothing we will need birth to 9months for boy or girl. 

-high chair

-bouncy chair (not at my house yet, but someone told me they're bringing it over)

-car seat

-almost a full set of OS diapers, and some newborn (using mostly sposies first few weeks)

-bottles

-two breast pumps, and the promise of a medela PIS after my SIL is done with hers

-three soothers

-more blankets than I'll ever need

-bathtub and bath seat

-toys, stuffies

-baby bag to leave packed in the car (and probably used an existing backpack as our actual diaper bag)

-hats, booties, mitts

-a car seat cover (and we dont even have a bucket seat)

I'm sure there's more, but mostly it's just a matter of sorting through it and figuring out what we need, and what we'll be passing along as well!

I think since finding out we were pregnant the only things we have purchased were a few diapers, the car seat... and yeah I think that was it. Anything else was donated or bought long ago. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#7 of 36 Old 07-21-2011, 09:46 AM

I haven't bought anything yet.  In fact, I'm still giving away baby stuff left right and center since none of the stuff here is moving with us. 

I'll start pointing DH at a couple things over the next  couple months but beyond that- meh.  I will probably do a lot of our baby stuff as Christmas gifts.  

I will pack up some of my wraps and carriers and ship them off soon to the new house.  

I haven't decided if I want to go with cloth or disposables in terms of diapers- probably cloth, but not until we are situated and I take a good look at storage situations. 

Once we know the gender (though my babies NEVER EVER EVER cooperate in that regard) we'll worry about clothes and decor a little more- we cosleep, but I do want a crib or pack and play (probably a crib this time around) for naps and beginning the evening.  I suspect that we will cosleep a little less with this one than I have previously, but maybe not.  I'm feeling overwhelmed by the thought now, but I know I won't want to put down a tiny baby when I see it. 

#8 of 36 Old 07-21-2011, 10:51 AM

I have a 2.5 year old and a 17 month old so I pretty much have everything I need. I've bought a pack of NB disposies (for 2 weeks afterward I'm allowing all 3 to be in disposables for sanity's sake) and there really isn't anything else I'll buy for the BABY. I've been steadily working on my labor/home birth needs each paycheck.

#9 of 36 Old 07-21-2011, 12:46 PM

Nothing. :-) I almost bought a GN newborn outfit, but decided I should probably at least look at what I have before I do that- besides, it wasn't on sale that much. I've bought two maternity dresses and two t-shirts for me, though. Does that count? I'm going to need nursing bras (or at least bigger ones, I've never loved nursing bras) and all the stuff for my homebirth when I get closer.

I need to inventory my NB stash, but might just want till baby is here to order since I'll want a few girly covers if I have a girl. (I CD'd the boys, but not my DD) I'm guessing I might order some more prefolds and all my snappis broke, so I'll need a few of those. I love prefolds for infants, but really don't use them much once they are over 12-18 months.

If baby is a girl I'll eventually need clothes since I only kept some special things from DD since we were done having kids. :-P All my boy stuff is at my SILs since she had a boy 9 months after I had my DS2, plus I'm sure she'll pass on stuff she got for him so I should be pretty set for a boy for quite some time. Of coarse, I think it's a girl and I'm looking forard to "needing" some things.

I'll be using the car seat that DS2 is about to outgrow (Combi Coccoro) for baby and I have enough other seats to switch around that I won't need any for a year or two at least. I still have my Phil and Teds stroller, Beco, MT, and slings...the slings are...somewhere. Hmmmmm. I still have my mini pack and play that I mostly use as a bed rail and a bouncy seat. There is a swing and mini-swing at Target that I love (the farm one), but neither of the boys liked them, so I think I'll just watch for one on CL after I have baby if I want one.

Yeah, this baby isn't getting much, but they don't really care anyway as long as they have lots of milk and cuddles!

CPST, LLL and Mom to a 9yr old animal lovin' girl, 6yr old wild man,  4 yr old cuddle bug and 1 year old "little brother."

Now we are growing the family with chickens, ducks, and dairy goats.

#10 of 36 Old 07-21-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarena View Post

I have a 2.5 year old and a 17 month old so I pretty much have everything I need. I've bought a pack of NB disposies (for 2 weeks afterward I'm allowing all 3 to be in disposables for sanity's sake) and there really isn't anything else I'll buy for the BABY. I've been steadily working on my labor/home birth needs each paycheck.

Oh good, I'm not the only one here with truly stairstep spacing for my kids.  I have a newly three year old and a 22 month old now as well as my nine year old. 

#11 of 36 Old 07-21-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidevoice View Post

Oh good, I'm not the only one here with truly stairstep spacing for my kids.  I have a newly three year old and a 22 month old now as well as my nine year old. 

I can make you feel even better! I have an older one too! 8.5 to be exact! Too funny!

#12 of 36 Old 07-21-2011, 06:04 PM

-Bassenet

-CDs

-Sit and stand stroller

-Bucket seat with 2 bases and a skeleton

-Bouncy seat

We still have a few things, and have a few things we still need...mostly for feeding (breast and bottle because I work and tend to have supply/pumping issues) and clothes...we having nothing for under 9 or 12mos in either sex..I have some toddler girl clothes my SIL just gave me and toddler boy clothes I had not yet given away from DS2....this baby was a surprise blessing ;-)

#13 of 36 Old 07-21-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarena View Post

I can make you feel even better! I have an older one too! 8.5 to be exact! Too funny!

My family thinks we are insane.  Honestly, we knew we wanted another and I am at a point where I don't want to be going down this path all over once we are out of the toddler phase. I liked the big gap with my kids for ME, but I like the smaller gap better for the kids.  In the long run, what are a few years of sleep deprivation? 

#14 of 36 Old 07-21-2011, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

We have:

09/03

03/05

11/07

08/09

and 

12/11 ;).

Three older girls and baby will make our second boy in two years. I feel so blessed!!

And I am ready to be done!

Have all the wraps, Ergos, clothes, toys, etc we'll ever need!

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidevoice View Post

My family thinks we are insane.  Honestly, we knew we wanted another and I am at a point where I don't want to be going down this path all over once we are out of the toddler phase. I liked the big gap with my kids for ME, but I like the smaller gap better for the kids.  In the long run, what are a few years of sleep deprivation? 

#15 of 36 Old 07-22-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Williams View Post

We have:

09/03

03/05

11/07

08/09

and 

12/11 ;).

Three older girls and baby will make our second boy in two years. I feel so blessed!!

And I am ready to be done!

Have all the wraps, Ergos, clothes, toys, etc we'll ever need!

Oh my gosh!  I'm tired just thinking about it!

That makes my 11/01  7/08 and 9/09 seem shockingly easy. I did discover though that it actually got somewhat easier with #3 as it seems to fall into a rhythm (for us) other than on those odd days where NOTHING goes right at all. 

#16 of 36 Old 07-22-2011, 02:25 PM

Lullaby CDs

Cute little soft soled shoes with a pirate theme (for DH's amusement)

One book

We just found out we're having a girl today, so I'm ready to bring on some girl inspired shopping/thrifting.

#17 of 36 Old 07-22-2011, 03:09 PM

Congratulations Amanda!  Boy was what you were hoping, right?

I have purchased....nothing.  I am still in the don't-want-to-jinx-myself-by-buying-anything phase.  I am starting to get over that though because I did pull out some diapers and clothes to start seeing what he have and what we need, and think about stripping diapers, etc.  I was shocked by how terrible DS's clothes looked...old yellow spit up stains everywhere and they weren't there when I packed them.  So far oxiclean and sun are doing the trick though! 

#18 of 36 Old 07-22-2011, 03:25 PM

Well, I went shopping today- in our barn. (We don't have an attic.) I brought in three bins of baby stuff and pulled out all the stuff for under 3 months and ran it through the washer. Put one bin full of stuff back out there. I'm glad I did, because it reminded me that I do have plenty for the first week or two, so once I add a special  "new"  newborn outfit (I always do that) and people give gifts I should be set for at least a few weeks. I'm usually plenty ready to make a short shopping trip after 2-4 days at home anyway if I want a few more things. Shopping has now been averted. DH will be thrilled.

CPST, LLL and Mom to a 9yr old animal lovin' girl, 6yr old wild man,  4 yr old cuddle bug and 1 year old "little brother."

Now we are growing the family with chickens, ducks, and dairy goats.

#19 of 36 Old 07-22-2011, 03:48 PM

Yeah, that was a big step for us, was realizing we really didn't need to buy any clothes- at all-. I don't have to shop until at least 9 months. Maybe more once I go through the clothes again. My SIL has said all her boy clothes, she will just pass on to us as her son outgrows them, and he's only 6 months ahead of this baby. Since boy stuff is more GN than girls, I think we should be set til a year either way, if it's a girl, his still will fill in the gaps, and if it's a boy-- well it was the exact wardrobe she used for him, so obviously it's enough!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#20 of 36 Old 07-23-2011, 08:45 AM

I bought a new pricey diaper bag... That's it so far.  I have a 2yr old girl and I saved most of her newborn stuff (though we had borrowed the infant car seat)  Of course as we are having twins I will have to invest in a few things: I plan to get 2 infant seats, a double snap and go, and an original size (big) co-sleeper.  Hopefully we can pick up these necessities and a few extras like additional bouncy seats at yard sales and craigs list.  For the newborn stage I figure I just need some extra onesies and sleepers though since unisex clothing is so hard to find we will have to get some boy clothes at some point.

In addition I need to get my daughter a toddler bed (and ideally transition her to it this fall) and potty training supplies.

Oh, and our dishwasher hasn't worked for 2 years - no biggie with one child but I really need this replaced if we adding 2 new additions.

I'm hoping to get some nice fun stuff as gifts but I'm not counting on it as I don't plan on having an organized baby shower.

Plus saving for maternity leave (no paid leave unfortunately)

blah

isn't shopping supposed to fun?

mama to dust.gifdd 8/09 and slingtwin.gif dd + ds 11/11

#21 of 36 Old 07-23-2011, 09:07 AM

I haven't purchased anything for the baby after it is born.  I have knitted a hat from yarn I had on hand, and may start a sweater soon.  I guess I feel like I am tempting fate if I buy too much stuff, or prepare too much in any way.  It isn't rational, but there it is.

#22 of 36 Old 07-24-2011, 08:58 AM

I know that as soon as my IL's find out the sex, they're going to buy a bunch of baby clothes- esp if its a girl. My ex took all my baby carriers when he moved out and won't give them back.. all I have is a Baby Bjorn, which I don't really like. I want my Moby Wrap and pouch sling! I think if he really doesn't give them back to me, I can probably find a couple to borrow from friends who are done having babies or in-between having babies. All I REALLY need are a couple convertible carseats.. one for baby to grow into and one for DS2, whose seat is nearing expiration.

We find out what we're having on Tuesday.. maybe I will celebrate by stopping at the thrift store and buying a couple outfits.

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#23 of 36 Old 07-24-2011, 12:33 PM

I haven't bought anything aside from fabric and yarn so far. Does that count?

But I was just inspired to photograph the growing stash of things I'm making. It looks so wonderful all piled up together:

baby things.jpg

2 dozen flat diapers, 2 cotton muslin gowns, 5 gowns made from DH's old shirts, 6 snap-bottom undershirts made from DH's old shirts, 2 knitted rompers, 1 knitted cardigan, 1 knitted shawl-collar sweater, 1 knitted hug-me-tight, 2 hats, 1 sewn flannel jacket, 1 pair baby moc-a-soc booties, 7 knitted diaper soakers.

Anyone else want to share photos of adorable baby things?

Maker-mama, joyously loving my boy, Winter Rhys, born 12/2011, and our twins, Wren and Forest, born 4/2014.
#24 of 36 Old 07-24-2011, 01:40 PM

Oh I'm jealous! I've been making things for 'baby' since high school, but nothing looks anything near like what you have. Blankets are the only thing that seem to turn out the right dimensions! lol. 

I've got tons and tons of photos of baby stuff, but none all that exciting to look at. 

Stash of blankets made by me:

107_9896.JPG

Stack of diapers definately not made by me:

IMGP0552.JPG

I've expanded to the diapers since then, but haven't taken a new photo.

#25 of 36 Old 07-24-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azadehhast View Post

I haven't bought anything aside from fabric and yarn so far. Does that count?

But I was just inspired to photograph the growing stash of things I'm making. It looks so wonderful all piled up together:

baby things.jpg

2 dozen flat diapers, 2 cotton muslin gowns, 5 gowns made from DH's old shirts, 6 snap-bottom undershirts made from DH's old shirts, 2 knitted rompers, 1 knitted cardigan, 1 knitted shawl-collar sweater, 1 knitted hug-me-tight, 2 hats, 1 sewn flannel jacket, 1 pair baby moc-a-soc booties, 7 knitted diaper soakers.

Anyone else want to share photos of adorable baby things?

That is amazing! I soo sooo wish I was crafty!

#26 of 36 Old 07-26-2011, 06:38 AM

We've bought nothing.  Even though we have given away a lot, I am not sure we need anything else.  Maybe a carseat-- need to check the expiration of the one we have.  Probably a few new sleepers since we gave all of those away.  I think that's all we need though.  I have the carriers I like (saving those to give to the kids someday), cloth diapers-- what else do I need?

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#27 of 36 Old 07-26-2011, 11:43 AM

Marshalls and TJMaxx have good sales now,,,I got some carters sets 3$ each, it will be good next spring,,,,sleeping gowns 2 for 5$,,,but thats it I got, leaving shopping for the last months, now looking for travel system, its a big head ache,,,I like Saunter Luxe Travel System - Rose Hill
(SAFETY 1ST) but can't find any reviews,,,

,,,it was worth to wait for two years,,,
#28 of 36 Old 07-26-2011, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Haven't bought anything, but keep getting offers of used gear.  I think we will be pretty set after friends are done cleaning out their closets and attics.  I might need some cloth diapers, but am waiting to see if anyone has any to pass on.  I seem to be the last of my friends who will be pregnant, so we are getting loads of hand-me-downs.  

But secretly, I am doing lots of on-line browsing of high-end, fancy strollers.  I walk so much and have always had cheapy strollers.  I had the chance to use a really good one and it was heaven, like butter.  I loved it.  And now I have stroller envy.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#29 of 36 Old 07-26-2011, 09:53 PM

We bought our first things for baby today, since we found out we're HAVING A BOY (our 3rd!)!! I had gotten rid of most everything NB related, so we picked up a cute little PJs with guitars, and a plaid shirt (because DF loves plaid shirts!). I don't expect we'll buy much more, as I am pretty sure his mother has been waiting to go crazy with baby-shopping since this is her first grandbaby!

#30 of 36 Old 07-26-2011, 10:13 PM

Ruthie-- I am a total penny pincher, and I too have convinced myself into a crazy priced jogging stroller. I used one with a family I was babysitting for, and fell in love. I'm justifying it by the amount of things we've gotten passed down for free or found very cheap. I'm entitled to a few splurges, non? lol. I'm also trying to use it to entice myself to be much more active next summer. I figure the babe will be perfect stroller age for me to start in the spring and get back in shape, going for walks and adventures every day. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page