Work? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-21-2011, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Who is still working? I have worked my full to part time shift as a waitress for almost two years now, and have found the non-stop, on my feet all day, waiting on people, & exposure to food/smells very difficult so far this pregnancy! (Think diner...eggs, meat, potatoes, burgers, etc) Some days I have to be there at 5:30am, not pleasant. Don't get me wrong, this is a job I LOVED prior to pregnancy.  I am due to stop working on September 2nd (and I am counting the days!) but I am worried about being a stay at home mom again and the financial drawbacks that has... My daughter goes and plays at my sister's house while I am working, so it isn't as if childcare is a cost I pay right now. I am so grateful that she has had a family member be able to be with her since I went back to work almost two years ago. My fiance will be making just enough to cover our basic expenses and I know we will be fed & clothed with a roof over our heads, but I would like to eventually make some money from home while I stay home with our children. Just kind of curious who is still working?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 07-21-2011, 04:12 PM

Still working, and the plan is to work as close until my due dtae as possible (Dec1). I work the front desk at a busy hotel, so I'm also on my feet and walking all day. I'm finding myself slowing down, but I also know there's not enough to occupy me at home right now. We slow down at work in November, so hopefully that will nicely coincide with when I want to stop. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#3 of 14 Old 07-21-2011, 05:58 PM

Still working, my biggest challenge is having to talk up and down stairs a lot. My office is on the ground level floor, the administrative (including my boss) office are upstairs, and the mechanical room I have to use fairly often is down stairs...plus I spend a lot of time on a pool deck which is slick and its hot there and in my office! Still...I just started by job a couple weeks ago and will have hardly any paid leave and no FMLA or anything, so I am planning to work right up until baby is born and go back pretty quick after (probably 2-3 weeks after depending when he/she makes his/her appearance - I work at a religious university with lots of holidays so if I am lucky baby will come near one of our breaks). I actually worked while in (early) labor with DS1 lol...I was so afraid of waisting a day and not actually being in labor...

#4 of 14 Old 07-22-2011, 05:08 AM

I am still working, although it is only about 20 hours a week.  I am having lots of trouble with lower back/sciatica pain and so by the end of my shift, since I have to stand, I can barely stand anymore sometimes.  The doctor says this pain may not go away while I'm pregnant.  I am only going to work for another month and then we're moving.  So, I'm going to suffer through since I don't really work too much.  I'm not sure if I'm going to work when we move.  It depends on how we feel about our financial situation once we get settled.  I might find another part time position, maybe one that doesn't require so much standing.  

Married to my love.  Expecting #1, EDD:12/23!  Hoping for a waterbirth.jpg at a birth center.

#5 of 14 Old 07-22-2011, 10:27 AM

I'm actually just starting work in a couple weeks! Before we moved, I worked at a maternity consignment store and I loved it. The owner was very flexible and I could bring my DD to work with me so we didn't have to worry about childcare. I would always come home form work feeling like I had helped someone because we always had women in the store who had questions about nursing or cloth diapers(we also sold nursing bras, cloth diapers and accessories and we're an authorized Medela retailer). I had to quit when we moved, but then by pure coincidence, the owner had an opportunity to open another store in the town I'm currently living in so starting August 2nd, I'll be managing her new store for her! I can go on maternity leave whenever I feel like it and I can go back to work whenever I feel like it(within reason, of course) and I can bring my new little one to work with me so I don't have to worry about pumping or childcare or anything like that. DD will be 3 in September so we're looking at starting her in daycare/pre-school.

Wife to DH stillheart.gif 08/09 and SAHM to DD 09/08 and DS 11/11

Surprise! Expecting #3 Nov. 2013!
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36 yikes2.gif **40

#6 of 14 Old 07-23-2011, 06:53 AM

Me.  I'm the breadwinner.  I'll be working until I'm due, at least--but I do draw the line at 41 weeks.  ;)  I work 32hrs/wk, and am on my feet quite a bit, working in clinic and at the hospital.  I'm still feeling good, a little backachey when I'm on my feet for a long stretch.  We'll see how it goes! 

#7 of 14 Old 07-25-2011, 07:42 PM

I'm the main breadwinner, too, and may be the SOLE breadwinner after this little one arrives, so I'm hoping to work as long as I can.  I originally thought I'd for sure make it to the end of the semester (I'm a high school teacher), but after the first week of school (our new school year started last week), I'm beginning to think that that was a bit of insanity talking.  I'm so exhausted already!

I guess we'll see...with my first I worked until he was born (37 weeks), with my 2nd I went out on disability at 37 weeks and he was born at 39 1/2 weeks.  If I work until the last day of the semester, I'll be 39w2d...yikes

#8 of 14 Old 07-25-2011, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Well, I get summers off because I do after school care for a kid whose mom works for he school board, but in September I'll be starting again. I'll have 2 kids to watch as well as my own. I'm not planning on taking time off of work, I have to get my own kids from school anyway!

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#9 of 14 Old 07-26-2011, 06:35 AM

Me, but I work part-time, and from home.  I started the job 2 months before #4 was born and even brought my laptop to work in the hospital, haha!

A standing kind of job is different-- I used to be a KG teacher, and stopped 1 week before my first was born.  I was also going to school at night during that time.  It was a lot, but there was no one I was going to stop any earlier. 

If you are worried about the $, keep an open mind-- you never know what jobs you will find.  I have had three since staying at home, and all jobs I did not have to have childcare for.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#10 of 14 Old 07-26-2011, 06:54 AM

I work FT from home running my own business. I haven't decided when to shut things down before this baby, because I want to stay open as long as possible there before Christmas, you know? I'll probably cut back after Thanksgiving and close up entirely in mid December. (I'm not due until the end of the month.)
#11 of 14 Old 07-27-2011, 04:19 PM

Wow! That sounds the most perfect situation ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin0919 View Post

I'm actually just starting work in a couple weeks! Before we moved, I worked at a maternity consignment store and I loved it. The owner was very flexible and I could bring my DD to work with me so we didn't have to worry about childcare. I would always come home form work feeling like I had helped someone because we always had women in the store who had questions about nursing or cloth diapers(we also sold nursing bras, cloth diapers and accessories and we're an authorized Medela retailer). I had to quit when we moved, but then by pure coincidence, the owner had an opportunity to open another store in the town I'm currently living in so starting August 2nd, I'll be managing her new store for her! I can go on maternity leave whenever I feel like it and I can go back to work whenever I feel like it(within reason, of course) and I can bring my new little one to work with me so I don't have to worry about pumping or childcare or anything like that. DD will be 3 in September so we're looking at starting her in daycare/pre-school.

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#12 of 14 Old 08-01-2011, 08:30 PM

I'm still flying super full time and unfortunately at my airline its either all or nothing....So I'm really trying to work this full month and see how far I can get into September...my midwife leaves it up to me mainly for when I "give in"....but I just worked three very busy flights up and down the east coast on four hours sleep and after about twelve hours of that every bone in my body begins to hurt, and the tips of my toes to my ankles just are throbbing. Ew. 

I'm really having trouble with my stomach muscles after about ten or so hours they begin to "give in" and standing up straight becomes quite painful. I think I'm going to get a maternity support belt thingy ASAP.

Me and DH and DD (2) and expecting #2 11/27!!!!! thumb.gif
#13 of 14 Old 08-02-2011, 08:38 AM

This is the first time I haven't worked during a pregnancy- the last time I had to do a huge physical test for a recertification at 7 months (hint, amniotic fluid is bouyant, if you want to dive for something, it's kind of like doing so with a baloon attached to your stomach...)

Most of my work now is freelance or contract though, so I just fit it in as I can.  I plan to actually take about 6 months completely off starting in Oct/Nov, depending on how I am feeling. 

#14 of 14 Old 08-03-2011, 08:03 PM

I work part time retail. My goal date has always been to get through black Friday. I don't know that i am going to make it though. It's dh's busy time of the year and thanks to a new federal labor law he his hourly and eligible for overtime. It may not even be worth it for me to work into the busy season (he is also retail). If he is leaving on time or early so i can work for $8 an hour on a day he could otherwise get overtime at over three times that, then it isn't even worth it.

I don't plan to work once the baby is born, but would like the option, so I have to figure out the best way to keep me on the books without working. I suppose i can take disability or something and FMLA for 16 weeks after baby is born. By then, it won't be busy and perhaps I can talk them into only working as needed, one or two shifts a quarter or something.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page