Am I the Only One Gaining a Pound a Week? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 09-10-2011, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidevoice View Post

I figure that by March/April I'll be ready to get on with getting in shape again.  I'm actually thinking already about what approach I want to take to get back into shape... I'm giving myself from then until next Christmas to truly get there though... 

I would love to hold each other accountable. I have been shocked this weekend when I look in the mirror and when I've seen recent photos. Baby and I are HUGE!

Maybe we can start a new thread in the Fitness forum in March or so. ;)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 59 Old 09-10-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Williams View Post

I would love to hold each other accountable. I have been shocked this weekend when I look in the mirror and when I've seen recent photos. Baby and I are HUGE!

Maybe we can start a new thread in the Fitness forum in March or so. ;)

Great idea!!

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#33 of 59 Old 09-10-2011, 04:58 PM

I do the Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds video. Not to lose wieght right now ofcourse, but to keep myself moving!

I rode my bicycle for a long time, but I am way too clumsy to do that now. LOL!

Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

#34 of 59 Old 09-10-2011, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Be sure to post a link to that thread when it's started!  Accountability is a powerful tool.  smile.gif

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#35 of 59 Old 09-14-2011, 08:39 AM

I started out very heavy compared to normal.  Have spent the past couple of years with a lot of extra weight and not much interested in doing anything about it. I think in part it was because we were on the fence about having another baby.  At 27 weeks, I've gained about 5lbs, but I started out at 182 lbs.  And now, on modified bed rest, I'm sure that is going to go way way up.  Last time on full bed rest I think I gained about 20 lbs in a month! And I GAINED another 10 lbs after my first was born.  But, after this baby is born, I am done being heavy.  It's not working for me anymore, I don't feel like myself.  So somewhere around March I am going to start kicking some serious butt.  I want to be able to go rock climbing with DH again without feeling like I have cinder blocks tied to my ass! 

Mother to one wonderful 5 year old son and another on the way, caretaker of dogs, cats, chickens and worms. EDD 12/11/2011

#36 of 59 Old 09-14-2011, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPai View Post

Be sure to post a link to that thread when it's started!  Accountability is a powerful tool.  smile.gif

I know there is a "Postpartum Weight Loss" thread in the Fitness forum. We can post there when the time comes, I guess.

I actually started counting calories yesterday. I am hoping to stick to 1900 a day, which should be plenty! I am so over this baby fat already. 

#37 of 59 Old 09-16-2011, 03:56 PM

Underweight to begin with but at 26 weeks I had gained 40 pounds. I gain 45-50 with each pregnancy

#38 of 59 Old 09-17-2011, 07:56 AM

I just gained 6lb in the last 4 weeks.  MWs are comfortable with it.  I usually don't worry about weight gain, but at this rate I will absolutely be past the 200 mark by December.  greensad.gif  I'm working on getting used to the idea, but also developing a plan to add more activity into my routine.

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#39 of 59 Old 09-20-2011, 10:54 AM

It is really great to hear how everyone has their own patterns for weight gain and it is all in healthy ranges.

My normal weight is typically quite stable: 5' 9.5'', 160 which gives me about a 23.5 (normal) BMI. I went into this pregnancy at 165 due to several months of hormone shots/fertility treatments. I was totally expecting to crack 200, my mom put on a huge amount of weight when she was pregnant. But I'm now 28 weeks and the needle's been stuck at 176 for the last 4 weeks, so either 11 pounds up or 16 pounds up depending on how you count.

I'd think I need to optimally gain a little more since I'm quite tall, but it's actually not easy! As the belly gets bigger I've been dealing with every possible stomach / digestion issue, which gets worse as I strive to eat more protein, fiber, and iron. TMI: Basically every day I have to choose between do I want to take my iron & protein supplements, or go to the bathroom? I was taking the liquid Floradix which was fine, no problems, but I measured low on iron at my last appointment so they told me to add another pill.  I get heartburn if I eat as much as I used to! Plus I'm still working out pretty much every day either at the gym or yoga or at home with videos. I guess I will see how the baby measures up at my next appointment. The belly is definitely growing even if the rest of my body isn't and I know she will take what she needs. 

Those of you who have been pregnant before did you put on a lot of weight after 28 weeks?

#40 of 59 Old 09-20-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primipara View Post

Those of you who have been pregnant before did you put on a lot of weight after 28 weeks?

I put on 9 pounds between 28 and 35 weeks which was when I delivered my son. 

#41 of 59 Old 09-20-2011, 12:38 PM

Can we change the title of this thread to "Am I the only one gaining two or three pounds a week?" ;)

#42 of 59 Old 09-20-2011, 01:50 PM

I tend to gain between 35 - 40lb.  I had hyperemesis during my second pregnancy - lost 10lb and wound up 25 ahead of where I started, which is on track with my typical gain.  The last 4lb I lost was during the third trimester, and I still ended up with my heaviest baby after that pregnancy (10lb2oz).

I expect to gain at least 30lb this time around.   I'm hoping the videos and walking I've started will keep it manageable and help my body prepare for labor.

#43 of 59 Old 10-09-2011, 10:30 PM

I was gaining about a pound a week and was feeling okay about it but last checkup I had gained 6 pounds in 2 weeks!  So at 29 weeks I had gained 29 pounds already.  I started out a  little heavier than usual and I am feeling big...!  I was a little annoyed at my doctor who said I should try a rice and banana diet and use a treadmill.  I was like uh-no.  I'd starve and I hate treadmills, I feel like a hamster, I'm good.  I miss my midwife who weighed me only once in a while. 

#44 of 59 Old 10-10-2011, 06:10 AM

I've gained a pound a week in every pregnancy. This time, I started out with a bolus gain, bolus loss, and then a pound a week since, so I'm only up about 23-ish pounds in 29 weeks, whereas the other two kids, at 29 weeks I"d have already been up about 33 pounds. 

I eat nutrient-dense, healthy foods. My blood sugars are fantastic. My blood pressure is fine. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that "This is how my body does this" and so be it. 

Jenrose, Mama to DD1, born 1993, DD2, born 2005, and DS1, Jan. 2012. Babywearing, cosleeping, homebirthing mom with fibromyalgia and hashimotos.  DD2 has a rare chromosome disorder. 

#45 of 59 Old 10-10-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorysmom View Post

I was gaining about a pound a week and was feeling okay about it but last checkup I had gained 6 pounds in 2 weeks!  So at 29 weeks I had gained 29 pounds already.  I started out a  little heavier than usual and I am feeling big...!  I was a little annoyed at my doctor who said I should try a rice and banana diet and use a treadmill.  I was like uh-no.  I'd starve and I hate treadmills, I feel like a hamster, I'm good.  I miss my midwife who weighed me only once in a while. 

Are you serious???  Wow....I can't believe your doctor would say that!  I've gained 43 pounds already and I'm just WAITING for my doctor to say something so that I can explain my weight gain (being sick for 20 weeks, etc).  It's almost like I can't wait for him to challenge me.  :)  But he says nothing...says I'm doing great.  Guess I'm lucky for that.  Your doctor is brave to say that to a pregnant woman!  :)

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#46 of 59 Old 10-10-2011, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, my, I would have let that Dr. have a piece of my mind!

Sorry you had to deal with that! soapbox.gif

Quote:

#47 of 59 Old 10-10-2011, 11:26 PM

As of 28 weeks I was up 45 pounds. I sincerely hope I even out soon like I did with my others! I typically even out around now and only put on another 5 pounds or so. But this pregnancy has been so different...

#48 of 59 Old 10-11-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:

Your doctor is nuts.  Rice and bananas?  Talk about a diet to constipate you not to mention totally lacking in nutrients.  If it makes you feel any better, I had gained 29 lbs by 29 weeks with my first and I had no problem at all losing it post partum.  I wasn't even trying...was actually obsessed with getting probably twice as many calories as I needed because I was worried about breastfeeding. 

So my weight now at 32 weeks is 35 pounds up.  I think I had been 35 pounds up by like 28 weeks but now I can't remember anymore.  I lost weight initially on this terrible hospital diet and now am slowly gaining with people bringing me dinner to the hospital every day. 

#49 of 59 Old 10-11-2011, 09:02 AM

Yeah, what possible argument could be made for eating rice and bananas?  Who would think that was a good idea???

Well, I've caught up a lot in the weight department.  29 weeks and 15-16 lbs.  I weigh more than my husband.  -.-

#50 of 59 Old 10-11-2011, 11:43 AM

I'm freaking out about my weight gain. My DH keeps telling me not to worry, it's all belly, I'll lose it when I'm nursing (he's the most awesome, supportive husband ever!). I'm not so worried about that as having a huge baby. My mom usually gained 20-25 lb with her babies, and I'm already up to 160. I'm not sure exactly what I weighed when I got pregnant, but it was somewhere around 130, so... Yeah. Like a 30 lb. gain already, and I'm 28 weeks. Seriously, do people really only gain 20-25 lbs? How?

But I'm telling myself it's just a number, I'm not fat (I'm really not), and a bigger baby might be less fun to push out, but it'll be healthy. Right?

#51 of 59 Old 10-11-2011, 03:32 PM

I've heard some women say that bigger babies can sometimes be easier to push out actually, I guess because there's something "more" to push against? 

I've been trying to avoid my weight gain. I am one of those women who really thought I could magically stay around 25lbs. So not happening. I started out at a good weight to begin with, so I thought that was reasonable. But I did fantastic until about 22 weeks? And then since then it feel like I've been gaining like crazy. I'll be 33 weeks on Thursday, and I think I'm up 35lbs. I think if I continue on the path I've been going, it will end up being about 50lbs total. That's just... insane to me. And yet, it still really looks like mostly belly. I do notice it in my thighs and bum, but not really anywhere else. And ironically, based on fundal height, I'm actually two weeks behind. Like I said, crazy. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#52 of 59 Old 10-12-2011, 12:53 PM

Weight gain and babies weight aren't necc connected.

#1 50+lb gain 7-2

#2 45ish 8-7

#3 40 9lb

#4 I'm at 45 already and she's only 3lbs!

#53 of 59 Old 10-12-2011, 01:42 PM

My past three pregnancies I gained almost exactly 35 lbs each time. With #2 I tried to gain less (like 30?) and my body just likes to gain 35, so I don't fight it now. My kids were all different weights (7.1, 7.11, 6.7) and born between 38.5 and 39.5 weeks. I usually don't gain much the last month and have even lost some weeks. I think I'm up around 30# now, so I'm about on track for normal since I'm 31 weeks and probably will go to around 38 weeks and the gain should start slowing. I never have a problem losing it all by time baby is 12 months, but I'm usually close by 6-9 months with no strict excersize- I am very active in general- and just eating my normal diet.

I will say I think I *looked* bettter pregnant with the boys. I think I gained weight everywhere with my DD, and more in just my tummy with the boys. LOL.

CPST, LLL and Mom to a 9yr old animal lovin' girl, 6yr old wild man,  4 yr old cuddle bug and 1 year old "little brother."

Now we are growing the family with chickens, ducks, and dairy goats.

#54 of 59 Old 10-12-2011, 02:09 PM

My kids have been everywhere from 6lbs to almost 9lbs..... 

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with my weight gain or loss.  My heaviest baby turned into a TEENY baby/toddler/preschooler, and is now heading towards an average weight preteen.

My lightest baby turned into a BIG baby/toddler, and is just slimming down a little now as he enters the preschooler phase. 

As for me, I'm still below my PP weight. However, I am decidedly less toned than I like to be, and I have converted a fair amount of muscle mass to squish.  Ah well, with three kids under four, I won't be sitting still long enough for it to last long!

#55 of 59 Old 10-15-2011, 08:31 AM

I avoided the scale for 5 weeks, because those big numbers are kinda scary...but I just got on, and it still says 150 pounds. That makes me quite happy. :) So, at 31 weeks, I'm up 25 pounds from PPreg, which means baby is growing quite healthfully, I'm not getting excessively heavy, and I still have some room to make it to the end. Yay!

Maker-mama, joyously loving my boy, Winter Rhys, born 12/2011, and our twins, Wren and Forest, born 4/2014.
#56 of 59 Old 10-15-2011, 10:03 AM

I haven't gained more then a pound or 2 during the 3rd trimester.  I actually may have lost a pound or two during the past month.  My Ob isn't concerned at this point as the babies appear to be growing well on ultrasound and I am not too concerned as I met my 24 lbs by 24 wk goal and got up to a total of +35 lbs.  I figure I really should be putting on some weight now  though as the babies are clearly getting bigger weekly.  I just haven't been hungry or I am just too tired to prepare any food for myself.  Plus I picked up a stomach bug the past few days so I've been nauseated and I've had to go to the bathroom after eat anything solid.  Not pleasant.  Really the only thing I am really interested in is crushed ice.  I actually made a trip to the A-plus gas station just to get crushed ice for my iced water!  Too bad ice doesn't have any nutritional value.

I lost a lot of muscle tone during this pregnancy so I will be interested in the weight loss / fitness thread after I deliver.  Hopefully some of you that have multiple young kids can give me suggestions for working out with so many babies to take care of!

mama to dust.gifdd 8/09 and slingtwin.gif dd + ds 11/11

#57 of 59 Old 10-15-2011, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb76 View Post

I haven't gained more then a pound or 2 during the 3rd trimester.  I actually may have lost a pound or two during the past month.  My Ob isn't concerned at this point as the babies appear to be growing well on ultrasound and I am not too concerned as I met my 24 lbs by 24 wk goal and got up to a total of +35 lbs.  I figure I really should be putting on some weight now  though as the babies are clearly getting bigger weekly.  I just haven't been hungry or I am just too tired to prepare any food for myself.  Plus I picked up a stomach bug the past few days so I've been nauseated and I've had to go to the bathroom after eat anything solid.  Not pleasant.  Really the only thing I am really interested in is crushed ice.  I actually made a trip to the A-plus gas station just to get crushed ice for my iced water!  Too bad ice doesn't have any nutritional value.

I lost a lot of muscle tone during this pregnancy so I will be interested in the weight loss / fitness thread after I deliver.  Hopefully some of you that have multiple young kids can give me suggestions for working out with so many babies to take care of!

I was shocked when I read that you went to a yoga class the other day! And your photos in the belly thread are absolutely amazing! I think you look great, although I do totally understand about the lost muscle tone. I think we'll have an awesome support system here for the weight loss, tone up group... I know I plan to be very involved!!

#58 of 59 Old 10-15-2011, 04:48 PM

lol, thanks, but I completely paid for my busy day on thursday.  I felt like I had been beat up all over my belly on Thursday night and most of Friday (both from the inside and outside).  However the yoga class itself is wonderful and makes me feel like a normal person - I wish I could go more often.  Swimming also is really nice though the whole process of changing into and out of a swim suit is a real pain.  I'm really looking forward to being more active again - my daily walks with my daughter have turned into daily drives to the coffee shop and playground which is a shame because the weather is finally so nice here.

mama to dust.gifdd 8/09 and slingtwin.gif dd + ds 11/11

#59 of 59 Old 10-19-2011, 01:23 PM

Just checked in on this thread.  Yeah I thought the rice and banana comment from the doc was a little wierd too, but now that I look back I think it may have been due to my comment about indigestion and trying to find out what was triggering it and then adding food a little at a time.  I was a little sensitive about the weight gain and may have been taking her personally.  This last visit I gained 4 more pounds in 2 weeks.  She didn't make any comments, thank God.  And I have been trying to stay away from sweets and empty calories and have been walking 3-5 days a week and doing a gentle yoga class twice a week....  I was very annoyed at the four pounds!  Now I am up 33 pounds in 31 weeks.  I usually gain 35-40 so I guess I will probably be about 5 pounds over at this rate, not too bad.  But I started out 10 pounds heavier and grr. I'm catching up to my partner whose been working out and looks great, I'm a little jealous!  lol!!   Last preg I was vegan and this one I am eating meat so there is a big difference in my diet.  Plus I was nursing in the beginning of several previous pregnancies.  So it makes sense to gain a few more pounds.  But I really don't want to worry about it.  I always manage to lose most of it within a year or two.  I'm just gonna have to let it go and relax into the beautiful voluptuous self that I am!!!  lol  

Happy pregnancies ladies!!  Eat well it will be over soon!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page