Am I the Only One Gaining a Pound a Week? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 59 Old 07-28-2011, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A bit of a spin off of the body image thread. ;)

I cannot believe how huge I have gotten. Yes, I eat whatever I want, whenever I want to, but STILL!

I hate that I am so chubby already and I still have five months to go! I KNOW this is what I do during pregnancy, but it never gets easier...thanks for listening to me pout.

#2 of 59 Old 07-29-2011, 12:30 AM

hmm....if by 'a week' you mean 4-5 days, then yes, I'm gaining a pound a week.smile.gif  So, no, you're not the only one.

#3 of 59 Old 07-29-2011, 09:38 AM

Three previous pregnancies had be gaining 40-50 pound - almost all of it by 6 months and then I stopped. So I wouldn't worry just yet, you might stop next week!

#4 of 59 Old 07-29-2011, 12:38 PM

Not the only one!!  I've gained over a pound/ week since finding out I was pregnant.  I'm up 30 pounds already.  That's the total amount I gained with my first pregnancy.  

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#5 of 59 Old 07-29-2011, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Phew! Thanks, gals. I feel much better. ;)

#6 of 59 Old 07-29-2011, 02:24 PM

Add me to the gaining *at least* a pound each week club.  With my son, in a two week span I gained 8 pounds.  The nurse at the doctor's office looked at me like I should be ashamed or something.  I mean really...we only do this a limited number of times in life, so I refuse to be stressed out about it.  I've given up wine, coffee, deli meat, and going to bed past 930, so I think I deserve to eat whatever else I want. 

#7 of 59 Old 07-29-2011, 04:03 PM

I haven't gained a ton of weight, been quite pleased with the numbers actually-- but add me to embarassed in the dr's office. Every time I lift my shirt so she can palpate and check the HB, I literally SEE her eyes widen. The first visit, she did an impromptu ultrasound because she thought it was twins. I went home feeling horrified that I was so huge the dr assumed it was multiples. 

I guess my stomach muscles just aren't quite holding it in as well as I would have hoped. lol. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#8 of 59 Old 08-01-2011, 02:36 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Yep, I seem to be in the 1 pound a week category too -- 18 pounds, 18 weeks.  Funny, I don't feel too big.  I can still put my jeans on and mostly button them up.  My weight gain is all belly and boobs right now.  I see my Dr. for the first time today, so we'll see what she has to say.   But for now, I am eating well, feeling good and am not sweating the weight gain.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#9 of 59 Old 08-01-2011, 11:20 AM

I don't have a scale at home, so I get the "surprise" at my midwife appointments each month. When you only weigh once a month, it's a little scary! LOL

#10 of 59 Old 08-01-2011, 01:09 PM

I had gained over a lb a week at my 16 wk visit I was up 19lbs.  I have since lost a little and am back to a 15lb weight gain at 19 wks, but I'm not worried.  If the lb a week continues that is only like a 40 lb total weight gain and that is really normal!

#11 of 59 Old 09-06-2011, 03:34 PM

bumpity bump!

I am curious what everyone else is gaining.  I'm just about 27 weeks and am up 33 pounds.  I started out right on the border of underweight/normal weight according to those charts and know there is a good chance I'll have a preterm baby so was kind of going wild not worrying about my weight at all, but when I hopped on the scale this week I was a little shocked.  I am trying to remind myself that downing a half gallon of icecream every three days is not reallllly the kind of pregnancy weight I should be gaining, but now that I have been doing this for a few months, its a little harder to stop.  So make me feel better mamas...some of you have to be gaining a lot too, right ;)?   

#12 of 59 Old 09-06-2011, 03:53 PM

I am 23 weeks pregnant and have gained 15 lbs. So I am not sure if this is too much or OK. lol!

Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

#13 of 59 Old 09-06-2011, 05:05 PM

I'm kind of on the opposite end.  I'm 24 weeks and have gained 5-7 lbs (some days I weigh more than others).  I started off a healthy weight (5' 8", 138 lbs).  I'm not starving myself and I'm not super active.  I eat healthy foods though - so ice cream after dinner would be unusual for me - and I do exercise and go for hikes and stuff, but I'm not a fitness freak.  ... but if I stretch my weight to 7 lbs and I have 16 weeks left, that puts me at 23 lbs at the end.  I guess that's good?  OB was ok with my 3 lb weight-gain at 20 weeks.  Baby was on track.  I look healthy.

#14 of 59 Old 09-06-2011, 06:32 PM

LAst week I was up about 18lbs from my first prenatal visit (I think I may have lost some prior to that)...I gained 4 in weeks since my last visit. I gained 65ish with DS1 and 45ish with DS2...so I imagine I will gain a fair amount with this one too...I just hope I lose it quickly. :-P

ETA- I'm between 25-26wks

#15 of 59 Old 09-06-2011, 06:37 PM

Well I'll make you feel better, Toddlermama!  :)  I'm actually up 40 pounds.  Yes....FORTY.  My weight gain is pretty normal now, but the first few months were crazy because I had to eat constantly to not puke.  I was actually 10 pounds under my normal weight when I got pregnant, so I'm telling myself that I've only gained 30.  Ha.  

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#16 of 59 Old 09-06-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendizbaby View Post

Well I'll make you feel better, Toddlermama!  :)  I'm actually up 40 pounds.  Yes....FORTY.  My weight gain is pretty normal now, but the first few months were crazy because I had to eat constantly to not puke.  I was actually 10 pounds under my normal weight when I got pregnant, so I'm telling myself that I've only gained 30.  Ha.  

I'm doing the same thing - I lost 10 right before I got pregnant also (probably why I got pregnant lol....I had been fine off BC and not consistantly using protection for months lol and then all of the sudden when I didn't even think I was ovulating.....I also concieved DS2 after losing weight)

#17 of 59 Old 09-06-2011, 08:00 PM

I was very worried about mine for about a week, when I looked at my log book and realized that between about 21 and 25 weeks I think it was, I had gained about 10-- which is... well more than a pound a week! But since then I've stayed pretty steady, maybe gained a pound (and yes, still eating regularly, lol) in the last almost two weeks. So I think it's just that I'm gaining in spurts, which looks scary. 

I'm 27.5w and up about 25lbs. Which isn't bad, but I had really wanted to stay in the 25-30 range, since I know I'll be pretty sedentary after birth and don't want to be gaining fat weight. I started at 5'4 and 117lbs. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#18 of 59 Old 09-06-2011, 08:21 PM

Anyone here who started out a little overweight???

Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

#19 of 59 Old 09-07-2011, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroMama View Post

Anyone here who started out a little overweight???

ME!!!! I started out 30 pounds above my "normal" weight, and I would say about 50 pounds above where I would like to be. I'm usually in the 150-160 range, and I would like to be between 130-140, I was around 186 at my first prenatal, but, I had just lost about 10 pounds. I'm 5'6 - I stay pretty active though so even to get back to 150 would be pretty good I think..I really just want to get somewhat toned again!

#20 of 59 Old 09-07-2011, 07:33 AM

Normal weight for me is 140-160 and I was at 198! I was actually losing weight before I knew I was pregnant and then BOOM I found out I was pregnant hahaha! I am really active though too. But I'll worry about losing weight when the baby is born!

I actually had an easier time losing when my DS was born, because not only was I nursing/pumping I had like no time to eat hahahah!!

#21 of 59 Old 09-07-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Phew!  Another mama like me!  I did the same thing...I was not as sick as you were but constantly ate with the morning sickness or I would feel worse.  I am not liking my new double chin and just realized there is way more surface area when I am trying to shave my legs too, lol!  Hopefully the weight will come off easily for both of us.  Did you have an easy time with your first?  I did more or less, but am gaining more quickly so hopefully it will still come off quickly this time. 

#22 of 59 Old 09-07-2011, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was overweight when I got pregnant.  I don't typically worry about my weight gain during pregnancy, but this time it's making me nervous.  At the beginning of this pregnancy, I was about 10lb heavier that the beginning of the last, and 20lb heavier than when I started my first two pregnancies.  My hips - which feel more like haunches to me at this point - are fleshier.  My arms are the most obvious point of weight gain - right where my triceps ought to be.

I *know* I can get fit after this pregnancy, though!  Walking and pilates brought me from a size 14 to a size 6 in a couple of months.  I've done it before and I can do it again!  Not only did the pilates help with my size, it helped with my back pain.  I just borrowed a prenatal pilates video and I'm going to try it as soon as I drop off my daughters tomorrow morning.  It might not help with weight gain, but it should at least help my body feel better.

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#23 of 59 Old 09-07-2011, 04:15 PM

Since this it the last baby for us, I'm not even worrying about getting back in shape at this point.  I'll start moving towards that goal when the baby is here and I can get back to being active as usual again. 

Several babies in a row has done a number on my body, but I see time to focus on myself on the horizon.  

There is so much pressure for women to be back to 'normal' after a pregnancy, and it's really quite silly.  They need to be able to relax and enjoy the new baby for a bit, and when they are ready, they will usually move back to health as they spend some time doing things for themselves- walking, swimming, hiking... 

EuroMama likes this.
#24 of 59 Old 09-08-2011, 05:58 AM

insidevoice:  yeahthat.gif  The baby moon is very special in our family, and I'm fortunate to have no pressure to return to work, etc.  I always wait a few months before I do anything intense.  I think it's great that we're having a winter baby this time.  It'll be all the more easy to relax and snuggle in with our new babe during the post-partum period.luxlove.gif

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#25 of 59 Old 09-08-2011, 07:52 AM

I was thinking the same in terms of timing- I know that by spring I'll be more interested in being out and about but that first couple months is SO important to really enjoy and just revel in the new dynamic of the family. I had to return to work a couple days after my last baby (though he did go with me...) and it was simply challenging to keep plodding along.  It also contributed to a horrible challenge with PPD because I never did take care of myself and heal from the pregnancy and birth. 

#26 of 59 Old 09-08-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post

Phew!  Another mama like me!  I did the same thing...I was not as sick as you were but constantly ate with the morning sickness or I would feel worse.  I am not liking my new double chin and just realized there is way more surface area when I am trying to shave my legs too, lol!  Hopefully the weight will come off easily for both of us.  Did you have an easy time with your first?  I did more or less, but am gaining more quickly so hopefully it will still come off quickly this time. 

I hope it comes off easily.  I have my 20 year reunion 8 months after!  :)  It did come off pretty easily with my first.  I didn't try...just breastfed and I lost all of it and then some in a year.  This time, I'm going to walk as much as I can and do the Jillian Michael's video 30 Day Shred.  It's only a 20 minute/day workout, so I think I'll be able to squeeze it in sometime.  We'll see.....I had high ambitions of being super healthy and in shape during this pregnancy......then the morning sickness kicked in.  

#27 of 59 Old 09-08-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:

I hope it comes off easily.  I have my 20 year reunion 8 months after!  :)  It did come off pretty easily with my first.  I didn't try...just breastfed and I lost all of it and then some in a year.  This time, I'm going to walk as much as I can and do the Jillian Michael's video 30 Day Shred.  It's only a 20 minute/day workout, so I think I'll be able to squeeze it in sometime.  We'll see.....I had high ambitions of being super healthy and in shape during this pregnancy......then the morning sickness kicked in.  

I'm glad someone else cares about losing it lol...my BFF's wedding is June 2, 2012, so I want to look awesome by then :-) I also really need to exercise to keep my PPD at bay, so it is not just physical health/appearence but mental health. I lost easily after DS1, but, not with DS2...however I did not nurse DS2 very long and I was on BC and taking domperidone, so I think all those factors may have impacted my ability to lose wieght - I'm hoping it is a little easier this time...of course I am so much older now lol...not sure that is going to help!

#28 of 59 Old 09-09-2011, 08:14 AM

I'll definitely want to lose most of this weight by summer, but that still leaves me plenty of time for a relaxing baby moon.  love.gif

#29 of 59 Old 09-09-2011, 09:10 AM

I figure that by March/April I'll be ready to get on with getting in shape again.  I'm actually thinking already about what approach I want to take to get back into shape... I'm giving myself from then until next Christmas to truly get there though... 

#30 of 59 Old 09-09-2011, 03:32 PM

I am sure I won't be up for working out at all for the first 3-6 months.  I only worry about sleep in the beginning,  but when I do, I want to start walking and swimming and just trying to build my strength back.  I feel really weak having been on bed rest/limited activity for so long.  I don't tend to lose any weight when I work out at all, but I do want to get my strength and energy back.  Hopefully that will be easy for all of us :). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page