I need nutrient dense food ideas. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 07-28-2011, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm great at keeping the kids munching on stuff that will fill them up and keep them going.  On the other hand, I haven't had much appetite at all lately and when I do eat, it tends to be pretty low calorie stuff that appeals (fresh raw veggies, fruit, etc and so on.)

I cook with olive oil and butter- so when I can talk myself into cooked  food I sneak extras in that way, but I'm just not being drawn to those foods for myself at all. 

I made the kids pizzas tonight with homemade dough and a yummy assortment of toppings, but I can't bring myself to eat any because it just isn't appealing.  I had a few cucumber slices and felt full. 

Charting my caloric intake has been interesting- I do have good days where I'm getting almost 1000 calories, but a lot of other days I am getting somewhere between 300 and 500.  I'm not worried about the baby developing appropriately as there are plenty of reserves to draw from and I tend to have a similar pattern when I am pregnant- I have to fight to get food in.  The babies are always fine- those squishy hips and curves doing just what they were meant to as they ensure enough nourishment for baby.  However, if I don't ramp it up soon, I will struggle with low supply when I am breastfeeding.  I am down about 30 lbs at this point. 

So, suggestions for all those interesting nutrient filled foods I haven't thought of yet?  Smoothies are hit or miss- I try to get them in, but they don't always sit well with me. This time of year I like colder foods with minimal prep.  I do use full fat dairy, olive oil, and occasional nut butters.  Also, I try to keep hard boiled eggs handy as they are a quick/easy addition to a salad or whatever. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 07-28-2011, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

So far today I have had copious quantities of water, a few cucumber slices, one slice of toast with butter, and a handful of blueberries.  It's now 7 pm and I feel full. 

#3 of 19 Old 07-28-2011, 06:23 PM

I've been feeling like this too...funny because I posted something not long ago about be super super hungry...but lately I have been practically forcing myself to eat...I went 9 hours yesterday without eating and still had to force food into myself...I know its bad..but, its so hard when nothing is appealing and I don't feel hungry....I have some reserves too though lol so maybe it is not horrible...but, I'm sure it is messing my metabolism up somehow. I have just been going with fruits and veggies mainly too...I figure eating something even something less filling is better than nothing! I have been trying to drink milk once a day too..I hate it, but, I figure thats at least a little more protein...I need to pick up some soy, I like that with cereal...and a nice whole grain cereal might help some....nuts are always good...I don't have any on hand right now, but, its nice because you can just eat a couple and it is jam packed with protein/fat. I've been eating salad with a little cheese or chicken or cottage cheese on it (actually not recently, but, I am going to have to start this again!)

#4 of 19 Old 07-28-2011, 07:00 PM

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum from you gals. ;)

I eat at least 2200-2500 calories daily and love every meal, LOL!

I eat these things almost daily:

scrambled eggs with sharp cheddar

whole wheat sourdough toast with butter

whole raw milk, sometimes with "organic" chocolate syrup from Trader Joe's

cheeseburgers from In N Out

full fat cottage cheese

pink lady apples with cheese or peanut butter

mixed nuts

lara or luna bars, although I definitely think the lara bars are more healthy

roasted chicken

various pasta dishes

everything bagels!

and sweets occasionally. cinnamon rolls, cookies, ice cream etc. probably about three times a week

I hope some of these things sound appealing!

#5 of 19 Old 07-28-2011, 07:37 PM

I was the same way ladies, until this week (21 week)... now I'm starving! Maybe you will turn a corner? My problem now is I'm eating lots of naughty things, like baked apples with tons of butter and brown sugar and homemade whip cream ;)

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#6 of 19 Old 07-28-2011, 08:17 PM

I go back and forth - the past couple of weeks, I have wanted barely anything to eat, yesterday and today I was starving. I gravitate towards cold foods in the summertime too. Lately that's been stuff like smoothies, LOTS of cereal with milk and fruit, cuke and cheese sandwiches, hard boiled eggs, slices of cheese, cottage cheese with pineapple, and baby carrots with peanut butter has been a regular lately. I like apples with PB too, though I haven't had any recently.

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#7 of 19 Old 07-28-2011, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

I managed to drink a glass of milk and I am adding cottage cheese to the list- I think I can probably talk myself into that.  Lots of good ideas.  I won't have a chance to go grocery shopping  for a few days, so I will have lots of time to make a good list and try to plan. 

#8 of 19 Old 07-28-2011, 09:01 PM

I've have a really limited amount of foods that have sounded good.  Some regular staples are:

edemame, corn and tomato salad was good to me this evening (check recipe at finecooking.com)

I've been living off too much cereal so I get museli or high fiber something and 1% milk (usually do skim)

Cherries, blueberries.

kefir smoothie with flax or hemp protein

baked kale chips with olive oil and s/p

popcorn (with butter :)

black beans plain or in a quesadilla with spinach or with rice--add egg sometimes too

synders sourdough pretzels--tho not so much anymore

Jane: mama to 3 angels and The Champ(11/08) and Baby Z appearing in December

#9 of 19 Old 07-29-2011, 07:06 AM

If cottage cheese sounds like something you could talk yourself into, maybe yogurt too? Greek yogurt is higher in protein than regular yogurt is, so that might be a good option for you.

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#10 of 19 Old 07-29-2011, 09:22 AM

I am pretty sick of my staples of dairy, eggs and steak but I'm still trying to stay up on my protein.

I find it is really hard because I just don't feel like preparing any thing. 

I eat a lot of avocados and I'm thinking of making a big batch of cold bean salad...  I made a really simple chick pea salad a few weeks ago that lasted me a few days (my husband had no interest in it).

I've read suggestions for "super milk" for added protein - mixing dry milk with regular milk for added protein boost but I haven't tried it yet.

Keep the ideas coming.

mama to dust.gifdd 8/09 and slingtwin.gif dd + ds 11/11

#11 of 19 Old 07-29-2011, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Oh, I'm happy to see I'm not alone in not wanting to eat! I've been feeling this way for the last month at least. There is a certain very stressful and traumatic ongoing difficulty in my life now, and I think that brought it on, but basically, I'm forcing myself to eat a couple times per day, and nothing tastes good, and everything I think about eating sounds so boring and gross. Ugh. The only things I want to eat are a bit of meat, once a week or so, and milk, which I don't drink much of, because it's so so expensive. I think I'm managing to get 800 to 1000 calories a day, but I'm just forcing it down. And,

HEY BODY, it's SUMMER! This kind of good food only lasts for a few months, and then it's back to the starchy boringness of winter. You could, you know, try to enjoy it!

But now that I see others of us are feeling this way, maybe it's just a natural part of pregnancy. I'm still up 15 pounds, and baby is swimming fiercely, so I suppose it's ok.

Maker-mama, joyously loving my boy, Winter Rhys, born 12/2011, and our twins, Wren and Forest, born 4/2014.
#12 of 19 Old 07-29-2011, 04:28 PM

Spinach dip!

lol. It's high calorie, and you can swoop in and have a few bites, then come back later when you're feeling it again. And the spinach is good for you too. 

What about just following the same tactics as the kids? I worked in several daycares for a few years, and it surprised me how much easier it was to eat things when they are portioned out for the toddlers. Hand me a hunk of cheese and I'll probably go 'meh', but if you take the same one and cut it into tiny cube bite size pieces, I'll grab them here and there and snack all day. Same with things like a bagel- spread some cream cheese or peanut butter on it, cut it into about 16 pieces, and then just grab a bite or two as you go through your day. It's amazing how much it adds up. 

Also- chocolate covered almonds. Mmmmm. I got hooked on them with morning sickness, and they're still a staple. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#13 of 19 Old 08-02-2011, 07:10 AM

I get extra calories with loads of nutrients by making smoothies. I use frozen strawberries, peaches and blueberries as well as a fresh banana. I then add two tablespoons of rice protein (has 12 g protein per tbsp), some local honey (for seasonal allergies), powdered greens and reds (from Trader Joe's) and almond milk. I share it with the kids and we all love it. I haven't been feeling particularly hungry either, but I also snack a lot during the day. My favorite snack is a trail mix from Trader's that has all kinds of nuts and dried cranberries. Good luck with your pregnancy!

Karen, belly.gifmarried to Dave surf.gif since 2006 and mother to DD, age 5 dust.gif, DS, age 2 joy.gifand DD, age 12 weeks babygirl.gif.

#14 of 19 Old 08-02-2011, 11:49 AM

these ladies have had great ideas :) i'm also having the raw veg/fresh fruit is the only thing that is appealing. I have been doing smoothies with whole fat yogurt so that helps...I'm more concerned about protein levels than calories, to be honest, and none of the high protein foods are appetizing to me. I love the idea of chocolate covered almonds though!! Keep the ideas coming!

#15 of 19 Old 08-02-2011, 01:30 PM

ive been eating green beans with swiss chard onions and garlic cherries and goat cheese with a vinegerette yum

heartbeat.gifMomma to baby boy Ember.babyf.gifborn at home 12/22/11.  Madly loving his daddy Thimble guitar.gif since 6/26/09. 

#16 of 19 Old 08-04-2011, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Just went shopping and stocked the fridge with all sorts of goodies.   I'm working on it anyway. :)

I also managed to avoid buying anything processed-  yay!

My three year old has been put on a diet that keeps him away from any preservatives or excessive salts, that also has to be pretty high in nutrition- so I figure we'll just do it as a family.  We usually eat healthy foods, but now we have to be really aware to be supportive for him, and in the process, I need to take better care of myself. 

#17 of 19 Old 08-09-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Williams View Post

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum from you gals. ;)

I eat at least 2200-2500 calories daily and love every meal, LOL!

I eat these things almost daily:

scrambled eggs with sharp cheddar

whole wheat sourdough toast with butter

whole raw milk, sometimes with "organic" chocolate syrup from Trader Joe's

cheeseburgers from In N Out

full fat cottage cheese

pink lady apples with cheese or peanut butter

mixed nuts

lara or luna bars, although I definitely think the lara bars are more healthy

roasted chicken

various pasta dishes

everything bagels!

and sweets occasionally. cinnamon rolls, cookies, ice cream etc. probably about three times a week

I hope some of these things sound appealing!

That all sounds soooo yummy and pretty much what i have been eating :)

#18 of 19 Old 08-10-2011, 01:24 PM

LOL. Are you gaining a pound a week like I am. ;)

Lots of fat = healthy baby! Love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody View Post

That all sounds soooo yummy and pretty much what i have been eating :)

#19 of 19 Old 08-10-2011, 04:00 PM

I always seem to have a bunch of homemade hummus in the fridge.  I have a huge food processor, so I make a few cans at a time.  I add flax oil for omega 3s and sun dried tomatoes and garlic in the olive oil (YUM).  I either eat it with tortilla chips or naan and sharp cheddar cheese.  I can't eat meat when pregnant (makes me puke), so it's a great protein rich snack.  If I don't make that I always end up eating those veggie corn dogs which are baaaaaaaaaaaad.  Bolt.gif

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page