Freezer meals and canning ideas for preganancy/Postpartum RECIPE Swap! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 56 Old 09-21-2011, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflyblue View Post

I wish I had a bigger freezer so I could make up a bunch of stuff ahead of time.  I'm limited to three or four meals, tops, though. :)

I just made some twice baked potatoes with the Pioneer Woman's recipe tonight and wow are they good, and she says in the book that they freeze well.  But IMHO you can halve the butter, or even quarter it, without hurting things much.  That recipe is here

We don't have a big freezer either.  I just pour stuff into a gallon freezer bag and then lay it flat in the freezer.  I have about 5 meals stacked on top of each other that way (and I always make liquidy stuff to save space).  

I LOVE Pioneer Woman (I've been following her website for about 5 years). My favorite recipes on her site are the baked beans, cinnamon rolls and lemon pasta.  YUM!

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#32 of 56 Old 09-21-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPai View Post

Czarena - I hope to make a similar post after this weekend.  As long as MIL's old freezer works when we plug it in, we'll be bringing it home Sunday.  :)

YAY! All fingers and toes crossed for ya!

#33 of 56 Old 09-22-2011, 06:06 AM

My favorite time saver is to buy a couple pounds of hamburg or ground turkey at a time, ground and brown it up, and put it back in the freezer in pound packages so that I can make a quick chili or spaghetti (or DH can make hamburg helper) I'll probably do about 5 pounds for after the baby is born. I'm hoping to have the energy eventually to get a bunch of stuff in the freezer by then, but we'll see. If I don't, IDK what I'm going to do!!

Melissa-Mama to Allyson carrot.gif 1-22-07 and Katelyn homebirth.jpg 5-14-09 and Paul 1-2-12 my 10 lb 6oz. homebirthed baby boy.

#34 of 56 Old 09-25-2011, 04:28 PM

I'm trying this tonight for the first time- it smells really good! I put potatoes in with it as well, just because we have some that are on their last legs. I tried one, and it was good, so hopefully the chicken will be as well. 

Saucy Chicken- from the big cook cookbook

It's nice because it only took literally two minutes to prepare, and then it's meant to be prepared several at a time, dump into freezer bags and store. If we like this one, I"ll probably make up 4 or 5 for the freezer. 

Also reminds me I need to check for upright freezers as well again. We've got a great chest freezer, but I think an upright would be so much more convenient to be able to organize and keep track of what we have. But since we already have one... I can't buy unless I find a great deal used somewhere.

***ETA- recipe was really good, chicken cooked perfectly... it was a little too sweet though. I think I'd decrease the brown sugar, increase the worcestshire and add some pepper. But I'll definately make it again! 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#35 of 56 Old 09-27-2011, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yum, jeninejessica!  We couldn't pick up the freezer last weekend because our truck is having mechanical issues.  greensad.gif  Next trip, I guess...

However, that doesn't stop me from sampling all of these recipes in the meantime!yummy.gif

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#36 of 56 Old 09-27-2011, 11:06 AM

jeninejessica, I downloaded that recipe for use later - it sounds delicious!! I"m SO frustrated by our construction right now - whole space is gutted, and we're just WAITING. Waiting for the plumber. Waiting for the siding folks. Waiting for the cabinets. Waiting for the flooring installers. Waiting for the drywall installers. I just want to scream... because I want to be cooking/stocking the freezer before I get huge and achy and exhausted.

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#37 of 56 Old 09-28-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremamaheather View Post

jeninejessica, I downloaded that recipe for use later - it sounds delicious!! I"m SO frustrated by our construction right now - whole space is gutted, and we're just WAITING. Waiting for the plumber. Waiting for the siding folks. Waiting for the cabinets. Waiting for the flooring installers. Waiting for the drywall installers. I just want to scream... because I want to be cooking/stocking the freezer before I get huge and achy and exhausted.

WHAT?!? you aren't already Huge, achy, and exhausted? I know I am...and I totally feel you on the construction. I don't even want to do much deep cleaning because I know that there's going to be a coating of drywall dust on everything. *sighs*

Melissa-Mama to Allyson carrot.gif 1-22-07 and Katelyn homebirth.jpg 5-14-09 and Paul 1-2-12 my 10 lb 6oz. homebirthed baby boy.

#38 of 56 Old 09-28-2011, 02:08 PM

LOL I have my huge, achy and exhausted days, for sure. I just anticipate that there may be more and more of them in the future. I haven't done any deep cleaning either... there is crap EVERYWHERE in this house. Furniture is in the wrong rooms, everything from the kitchen is in the dining room, baby stuff is piling up in the guest room, the cat's box and food are in there too because she can't go into the kitchen to go down to the basement... it's a nightmare here. I have a lot of patience with disruption normally, but I am fast running out. Fast. The contractor estimates that we'll still be done by the end of Oct (at least with the kitchen stuff... we'll still have the moving the laundry area and replacing the dining room ceiling stuff to deal with, but please Lord, let that be faster and easier if not less dusty).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammamo View Post

WHAT?!? you aren't already Huge, achy, and exhausted? I know I am...and I totally feel you on the construction. I don't even want to do much deep cleaning because I know that there's going to be a coating of drywall dust on everything. *sighs* 

We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#39 of 56 Old 09-28-2011, 03:51 PM

Not EXACTLY freezer meals, although you could probably prep some of the ingredients for lots of the meals, freeze, then cook in the crockpot when you're ready, but have you all discovered the Facebook group "Crock Pot Girls" and now website www.crockpotgirls.com? Some of the recipes sound so good!! Lots of them call for cream of whatever soup, which I'm going with for now as I'm stoveless (kitchenless) but I tend to skip those recipes or make healthier substitutions when I have normal facilities available to me. Here are a couple I'm jonesing for:

Overnight Oatmeal: http://crockpotgirls.com/recipes/breakfast/overnight-crockpot-oatmeal/#comment-13276

Burgundy Brisket: http://crockpotgirls.com/recipes/main-dishes/beef/burgundy-brisket/

Chicken and Stuffing: http://crockpotgirls.com/recipes/main-dishes/chicken/crock-pot-chicken-and-stuffing/

The recipe seems to be missing on that one, but I had it from Facebook - layer baby carrots, cut red potatoes and chicken breasts in the crock pot, mix a can of cream of chicken soup with a can of milk and pour it over the top, mix up stuffing according to the package directions but use only half the water called for and put on top. Cook on high 4 hours or low 8 hours. It was good comfort food one day - I love stuffing!

#40 of 56 Old 09-29-2011, 04:39 AM

I tested out the freezer friendliness of these granola bars and they turned out great.  Lots of oats to increase BM production too.  :)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chewy-granola-bars/detail.aspx

I did have to add more moisture when mixing like many of the commenters said, as they were a little dry and not sticking together at first

#41 of 56 Old 10-02-2011, 07:42 PM

Just an FYI - the current issue of EveryDay with Rachel Ray has a section of budget meals that also freeze well, and instructions on freezing/reheating them.  If you don't want to buy the magazine, you can copy the recipes at the library (if your library carries it).  I tried the turkey tetrezzini last night, and it was yummy.  Only I used chicken instead of turkey.

#42 of 56 Old 10-03-2011, 06:25 AM

I came home from work saturday and emptied my chest freezer to defrost it :) Also, last week made my first freezer addition, pumpkin bread...it was amazing...the recipe that I have makes 3 mini loaves and 2 reg ones

#43 of 56 Old 10-03-2011, 06:00 PM

I thought our freezer was huge, but my husband just informed me it's getting full!  Yikes!  Well, I've been making extra supper for quite a few meals, and then freezing half for after the baby's born.  This is the season for soups/ stews, so there's going to be lots of those in our freezer.

I'm definitely going to try the black bean chili recipe sometime soon too.

Here's a good recipe for carrot tomato soup, we've been able to use up a lot of the garden tomatoes with it.  Again, we eat half, and freeze half for another time.  I plan to add the cream/ basil when I reheat it:

http://www.soulemama.com/soulemama/2010/08/our-carrot-tomato-soup.html

#44 of 56 Old 10-06-2011, 07:04 AM

There's a Pies a la Mode in Falmouth on the Cape, and when DH and I were visiting my grandmother there for her birthday we stopped to see what pot pies they have to offer. We got two of these:

The "Gobbler": Homemade stuffing and cranberry sauce are layered with oven roasted turkey, gravy, carrots and carmelized onions. The finishing touch is a topping of homemade corn bread.

We ate the first one last night, and I'm TOTALLY going to try to re-create that yumminess!! It was SO good! This would be super easy to do with Thanksgiving leftovers too. It was turkey, gravy, carrots and onions, then stuffing, then cranberry sauce, then corn bread - they didn't cook the corn bread ahead of time, so it was just corn bread batter spooned over the top of the filled baking pan. We bought it frozen, and prepared it from frozen last night - 375 for 75-90 minutes. It think the cooking from thawed directions were 350 for 60-75 minutes? I wasn't paying enough attention, and maybe it only happened because I baked it in a toaster oven, but the corn bread got a bit over done. I wished I had covered it with tin foil part way through. Might not happen in a normal oven though, with the heating elements further away.

#45 of 56 Old 10-06-2011, 09:40 PM

I was on a baking spree yesterday! 

I know these won't last in the freezer, but I am hoping to make them all again in a month or so.

I made:

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies 

This YUMMY Slab Apple Pie

http://lifeasmom.com/2009/11/slab-apple-pie-perfect-for-fall-perfect.html

and these Orange Muffins. (I took these to the hospital when I had DS two years ago and want to take them again this time, so delicious!)

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/orange_mini-muf/

#46 of 56 Old 10-07-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremamaheather View Post

Someone in the Jan DDC found this website too: http://onceamonthmom.com

It is great! It's a once a month cooking menu with recipes. There's a tradtional food menu, a whole foods menu, a gluten/dairy free menu, diet menu, vegetarian menu and a baby food menu. Very cool! I saw a couple of dinner recipes I'd like to try, and also a cream cheese stuffed pumpkin muffin recipe that looks TO DIE FOR. Yum. http://onceamonthmom.com/pumpkin-cream-cheese-muffins/ And some pistachio chai muffins too... I might have to add some of those to the freezer stash!

So I tried the onceamonthmom menu (Sept whole foods) and was really disappointed.  I think the biggest problem was in a lot of the recipes the spices were just multiplied for multiple portions and while that is fine for the zucchini muffins it does not work for spicier dishes: a tsp of cayenne pepper completely overwhelmed the mac and cheese and I think the chili will be too hot as well (and I like spicy food).  I like the idea of having instructions with the best order to cook every thing but otherwise I think I will stick to making recipes I know will work frozen or following "dream dinners" cookbook - I will have to go through this thread to find some more suggestions as well.

mama to dust.gifdd 8/09 and slingtwin.gif dd + ds 11/11

#47 of 56 Old 10-13-2011, 09:40 AM

Since last posting, I've made some yummy pumpkin bread from here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/downeast-maine-pumpkin-bread/detail.aspx, baked ziti: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-ziti-i/detail.aspx and chocolate zucchini bread: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-zucchini-bread-i/detail.aspx.

I think I'm going to slow down on the cooking now.  My pregnancy brain isn't as sharp as I'd like it to be and I keep messing up the recipes.  Not to mention that making anything totally wipes me out for the day.

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#48 of 56 Old 10-13-2011, 02:14 PM

I made the chewy granola bars from the bottom of page 2, and they turned out pretty good. I used peanut butter and regular chocolate chips. I did find the bars were a bit crumbly... and a tad 'boring'. I'm going to make another batch, but add in about a 1/2 cup of peanut butter into them as well. Also, I found that the recipe made much more than a 9X13-- so when we baked them, I really think they should have been thinner. 

But still yummy! We left out the ones that crumbled, and DH and I ate about the equivilent of probably 3 bars each since yesterday, just walking by and grabbing a handful of "mix". 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#49 of 56 Old 10-14-2011, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Williams View Post

This YUMMY Slab Apple Pie

http://lifeasmom.com/2009/11/slab-apple-pie-perfect-for-fall-perfect.html

I made this on a whim last night and it was terrific.  Sweet and delicious.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#50 of 56 Old 10-14-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

I made this on a whim last night and it was terrific.  Sweet and delicious.  

Very sweet! I think I even cut the sugar in half in either the apple part or the crumb topping part.

I still have some in the freezer. I eat a big piece every day. I think I'll have some now, LOL!

#51 of 56 Old 10-14-2011, 02:23 PM

Now I'm craving apple pie!  innocent.gif I'll have to try this.

Speaking of apples...off topic...but is anyone LOVING apples right now?  I bought a bunch of honey crisp and they were gone within a few days.  YUM.

#52 of 56 Old 10-14-2011, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Williams View Post

Very sweet! I think I even cut the sugar in half in either the apple part or the crumb topping part.

I still have some in the freezer. I eat a big piece every day. I think I'll have some now, LOL!

I normally do that too, but somehow just spaced it this time.  My kids were thrilled.  They called it 'real dessert'.  If I made it again, I would cut the sugar, but then it wouldn't be as good.  

I had some for breakfast this morning.  Best breakfast ever.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#53 of 56 Old 10-14-2011, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

I normally do that too, but somehow just spaced it this time.  My kids were thrilled.  They called it 'real dessert'.  If I made it again, I would cut the sugar, but then it wouldn't be as good.  

I had some for breakfast this morning.  Best breakfast ever.  

wendiz- LOVE APPLES could live on them suddenly as well

So i am a huge  huge fan of pie, in fact i bake way too many pies : ) but i too have been on the apple pie bandwagon, i like to get a mix of 8-9 sweet apples, peeled, a tsp of lemon juice, a tsp of vanilla 2 1/2 tbs packed brown sugar, aprox 2 handfulls of all purpose flour

1/2 tsp cinnamin and nutmeg, and 1/4 cup butter,   coat apples in lemon sugar spices vanilla and flour , pack into pie, and then cut pieces of b utter over the top and lay top crust over crimp edges bake 400 for 20 min then put foil on top and bake another 10 - 15 def sweet enough especially with a scoop of ice cream or homemade whipped cream : ) or even vanilla yogurt yum

heartbeat.gifMomma to baby boy Ember.babyf.gifborn at home 12/22/11.  Madly loving his daddy Thimble guitar.gif since 6/26/09. 

#54 of 56 Old 10-17-2011, 02:51 PM

http://www.mennonitegirlscancook.ca/2011/10/pumpkin-roll.html

FAB Pumpkin rolls that are supposed to freeze well - but you only need 1/2 the icing recipe - or just make the pumpkin cookies off the same site and ice those!

I"ve been canning pears and pumpkin stuff, now to do apples - I have apples to do - 25lbs

#55 of 56 Old 10-18-2011, 07:58 AM

Vegetarian Lasagna- Just tried this for the first time, and it was super easy, and has a reputation for freezing well.

1 bag of veggie "ground beef" (I like morning star farms, and more importantly Non-Veggies often say they can't tell the difference between it and real meat) or (real meat if you are inclined-but I'm not familiar with cooking process, lots of ideas on-line)

whatever extra veggies you have around (Currently had a ton of peppers and onions)

2 cloves of garlic

1 large jar of tomato sauce, plus any extra tomatoes you might have around too taste (I added 20 little grape tomatoes cut in half)

Dried Parsley

8-10oz of Lasagna noodles

3 cups of Cottage Cheese or Ricotta

3 Eggs

1 ball of thinly sliced mozzarella

1/2 cup of grated parmesan

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees if eating right away otherwise use for cooking later, Put pot of water on to boil for pasta-add 2tbs of olive oil to prevent noodles from sticking together

1. In large skillet grill veggies/garlic/onions in oil till softened/browned.

2. Add tomato sauce/tomatoes

3. Add veggie "ground beef", simmer

4. Add pasta to water, cook only till softened but still firm (will finish cooking in oven), drain and set aside

In bowl beat three eggs and add to mix of cottage cheese (or ricotta), 2-3 tbs of dried parsley, and parmesan

Take a large, deep backing pan and line with foil if going straight to freezer.

Lay out pasta so it covers the bottom of pan, spread sauce/protein mixture, layer of soft cheese, layer of mozzarella, layer of pasta, repeat process till reach top of pan or run out of ingredients. Reserve enough so that you are finishing with a layer of pasta, thin layer of sauce and sprinkle coating of parmesan on top.

Either place cooled pan well covered in freezer till firm-then retrieve your pan, and leave foil wrapped solid lasagna in freezer till ready to use. To heat, simply transfer to pan and bake in the oven when ready to eat. Cook till all is hot, mozzarella melted.

If cooking non-frozen, takes about 20min till bubbly.

#56 of 56 Old 10-18-2011, 11:33 AM

a variation on the above lasagna, I use zuchinni, onion, spinach, broc, etc  instead of fake meat

(This is FYI, not judgement - fake meats are a highly processed food, contain GMO's and soy has been linked to thyroid issues and early puberty - just things to consider/research)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page