Cloth Diaper Stash? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 10-14-2011, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am eager to get on the cloth diaper wagon and hoping those of you have btdt could answer.

I thought the one-size AIO were a good idea so I threw a few on my registry to get us started. However, I recently was reading that they can't be put in the dryer or it will reduce the absorption. We don't use fabric softener, so I already know about that. How does just drying them efficiently cause problems?

Which lead me to want to look into prefolds-BUT how do I prepare before the babe is here in terms of covers and wool longies etc... since they seem to all be sized by measurements etc, and we don't have her out in the world to exactly measure and what not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 52 Old 10-14-2011, 04:02 PM

I haven't btdt, this is all based on research. I believe you can put AIOs in the dryer, it's just that they take quite a while. I'm currently air drying some AIO's, and they've taken two solid days, they weren't dry last night, so I'll see if they are now-- but it definitely would be annoying if I needed them right away. I think next time I'll throw them in the dryer. 

Have you thought about pockets? They're still easier than the prefolds and covers, but more of the ease and convenience of the AIO. And they dry so much faster too. I like that with the ones I have (and most of them), if you want, you can just lay the insert on top instead of stuffing it, if you're in a hurry.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#33 of 52 Old 10-14-2011, 05:43 PM

I put most things in the dryer, but, since they are on their 3rd (or more if I purchased used) child now I am going to air dry...I want to make sure they last!

I have a few AIOs and I HATE them...because they take so long to dry, even in the dryer...pockets are pretty much the same when it comes down to it but they dry fast!

Another thing to consider....depending on the size/shape of your baby, one size diapers may not fit properly right away...mine did not fit them until 6mos or so (my babies to grow fairly slowly though and are long and lean).

#34 of 52 Old 10-14-2011, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayachel View Post

I am eager to get on the cloth diaper wagon and hoping those of you have btdt could answer.

I thought the one-size AIO were a good idea so I threw a few on my registry to get us started. However, I recently was reading that they can't be put in the dryer or it will reduce the absorption. We don't use fabric softener, so I already know about that. How does just drying them efficiently cause problems?

Which lead me to want to look into prefolds-BUT how do I prepare before the babe is here in terms of covers and wool longies etc... since they seem to all be sized by measurements etc, and we don't have her out in the world to exactly measure and what not.

Prefolds are really easy... If you buy them new you do have to wash/dry a few times before use. Then some good covers (I like Thirsties and Bummis) or wool longies (you will need lanolin for those). Green Mountain Diapers (GMD) has all sizes. Newborn, infant, etc. You can make prefolds custom fit with a snappi (instead of pins).. just as long as they're not too big or too small. Did that make any sense? 

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#35 of 52 Old 10-17-2011, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the responses. I am not tied to the AIO concept, good to hear that they can be put in the dryer through a few rounds as needed. Received a bunch of previously loved prefolds in newborn size this weekend from a friend so looks like I'll get a chance to experiment some.

#36 of 52 Old 10-18-2011, 07:57 PM

I just started to go through my clothes and diapers stash tonight:)  It's got me all excited to use them again!!   I think I have lots of covers, we've always used AMP and Applecheeks.  A friend also gave me some homemade NB diapers, which should come in really handy.  Another friend has my stash of wool, and is going to make me some wool covers (fingers crossed!)  

With my second, I didn't use disposables at all.  I was worried about stains and mechonium but it really wasn't a problem (and I didn't use any of my favorites either).  The only time he wore disposables was when he was in the hospital for a few days at 2 mos.  He refused to wear diapers after 22 mos (not always for the best!), but I wonder if that made a difference.

I have never put my covers in the dryer either, b/c I was worried that it would shorten their life.

Since I haven' t been dealing with diapers at all for almost a year-- since February, and found out I was pregnant in March:)  What would you ladies recommend for stripping/ cleaning the diapers for the new babe?  I can't really remember what I should do to get them ready again.  Do any of you ladies use EC with your kids at all?

@ jenninejessica- I wouldn't bother personally with a wet pail for diapers.  I didn't really know much about cloth with my first and that's what we did.  I later found out that if you have a large wet bag, you can leave your diapers with pee and breast fed poo for a couple of days between washings.  That makes things so much easier!

#37 of 52 Old 10-18-2011, 09:03 PM

Thanks Lisa! That's what I'm leaning towards. We've got the large wetbag upstairs that says it holds 3-4 days of diapers, but it's going to be hanging on the closet door, so I don't want it to be too full. That's why I figure every day or so I'll transfer everything in it to the downstairs pail, and then every 2-3 days I'll wash, depending on how often I need more diapers! lol. 

It's so nice to see someone else who is using AMP! That's what most of my stash is, along with FB, since AMP are made in my city. I'm really really hoping I like them as much as I think I will, since it would be so convenient to have her right here. I don't suppose you happen to remember anything about the fit on a newborn? I've got both smalls and OS. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#38 of 52 Old 10-23-2011, 02:13 PM

@ jeninejessica- That's great that AMP are in your city, that sure makes it convenient!  I always had good luck with mine, so hopefully you will too.  The smalls will definitely work on a newborn, a little big at first, but usable for sure.  I've never tried their OS (or any OS for that matter), so I couldn't really say.  AMP was actually the first diaper we put on my second son after he was born, and we had no trouble:)

#39 of 52 Old 11-05-2011, 08:01 PM

Yay!  My stash increased significantly today!

Still not totally sure what I have, but it's something like

24 prefolds (not NB)

8 NB covers of various types

8 large and XL covers of various types

4 AIO

8 liners

4 longies, 4 wool soakers

And I just had a friend offer her newborn prefolds and covers so I should be good to go for quite a while!  Score!

#40 of 52 Old 11-05-2011, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I found a diaper service yesterday where they have prefold and contour diapers, gently used for $2.50 & $3.50. They only offer new sometimes, but it's a dollar more per diaper when they do. So I'll be adding a bunch of them to my 12 baby kicks. Nothing has come into my moms store at all for months.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#41 of 52 Old 11-06-2011, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

I found a new box of diapers yesterday that had lots of snappis. a few wipes, and some small diapers. I still need some covers though. I only have one thirsties small cover. I'm hoping to have some friends donate some to me, otherwise, I won't have anything until at least Jan. when we get the bulk of our money.

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#42 of 52 Old 11-08-2011, 08:02 AM

If I am not too lazy I will use prefolds, Bummis SWW, and also Dappis nylon covers w/ a Snappi.  I love nylon covers, esp. when they are younger.  Wool is too hard at this age, IMO (leaks), snaps are too much . . .the nylon covers are so soft and leave no marks.  They are also TRIM. The downside is when it's a really messy diaper, but it's not too bad, esp. since they are so cheap.  Easy to get a bunch of them and just launder.

Once we are done with the infant size toddlers, I use them as rags/towels, so no waste.

Later on I have Fuzzi Bunz, prefolds, wool covers, fleece covers, and fitteds.  I got some Flip covers that I use with hemp prefolds with my toddler-- I do like those covers a lot.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#43 of 52 Old 11-08-2011, 08:41 AM

I was a Fuzzi Bunz "hostess" back during the brief time they did home sales so I have nearly 20 ( or more) of each regular size, plus a few x-small, x-lrg and petites. The mediums have seen years of use through my two older boys, but hopefully they will hold up for one more kiddo. Add me to the sposies for the first couple of weeks club too. I'm planning on spending that time in bed cuddling my baby, not doing laundry.
#44 of 52 Old 11-08-2011, 09:12 AM

How many snappis are needed? Do they really work?

#45 of 52 Old 11-08-2011, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummoth View Post

If you're using prefolds or contours that don't have snaps or velcro, you need snappies. They are SOOOO much better than pins. They work great. I'd say get at least 3-4 if you are using all/mostly prefolds/covers.

#46 of 52 Old 11-08-2011, 10:49 AM

Thanks! And they come in different sizes, too... the woman at the diaper place can probably advise on that. I'll be buying some prefolds and contours this week... I don't know what I'll like & they're cheap anyway so I'm getting lots. Prefolds would make good burp cloths if they don't work out as diapers... and mom says they make really good lint-free rags for washing windows & mirrors... they won't go to waste at any rate. I was thinking DH would be really afraid of pins... even I am a little & I've already had 2 kids!

#47 of 52 Old 11-08-2011, 11:13 AM

Anyone used cloth wipes before? If one is hoping to use only cloth wipes, how many should she collect?

Maker-mama, joyously loving my boy, Winter Rhys, born 12/2011, and our twins, Wren and Forest, born 4/2014.
#48 of 52 Old 11-08-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azadehhast View Post

Anyone used cloth wipes before? If one is hoping to use only cloth wipes, how many should she collect?

A lot if you're planning on CDing your newborn.  I want to say DS pooped literally 8-10 times a day as a newborn, each requiring probably two wipes on average.  So that is around 20 wipes a day and we washed diapers every other day so maybe 40.  With an older baby, I was probably using closer to 10/day.  My only advice is don't buy or make flannel wipes.  Ewww. Tried making them and they stuck and didn't work well at all.  We ended up using very thin terry cloth Gerber washcloths which were great. 

#49 of 52 Old 11-08-2011, 12:11 PM

We used baby wash cloths as well for cloth wipes and they worked great. For some reason, everyone who gave us a gift for DD decided we needed a towel/washcloth set so we got a TON of baby washcloths.

I think DH wants me to have a heart attack or something. He just sent me a text that said, "One month", as in my due date is exactly one month from today! Holy crap, I am soooooo not ready! I was planning on making fitteds from pre-folds for this baby and I have one finished. ONE. DIAPER. Luckily, a friend of ours had offered to give us pre-folds that her mom used for her so I just sent her a message asking for her mom's address so I can pick them up sometime this week. I just hope they're in good enough shape for me to sew them into fitteds. If not, at least I have a bunch of free burp rags coming to me. A friend of mine had 4 Thirsties covers that she's going to send me as well so we might get one or two more covers but if these pre-folds work out(and if there are enough of them), we should be set as far as diapering.

Okay, now that I've typed all that out, I feel a lot less panicked.

Wife to DH stillheart.gif 08/09 and SAHM to DD 09/08 and DS 11/11

Surprise! Expecting #3 Nov. 2013!
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36 yikes2.gif **40

#50 of 52 Old 11-08-2011, 01:30 PM

I would never use cloth without them.  I have tried a million kinds of dipes-- prefolds are the best (though I like others, too) and would never use pins.  Tried, but loved Snappis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummoth View Post

#51 of 52 Old 11-09-2011, 10:33 AM

One more thing-- Snappis don't work on hemp.  I know they say they do-- I've tried different types of hemp-- but they really don't.  (IME.) 

The terry works for awhile, but eventually stops.  Snappis are GREAT for cotton.

#52 of 52 Old 11-09-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post

A lot if you're planning on CDing your newborn.  I want to say DS pooped literally 8-10 times a day as a newborn, each requiring probably two wipes on average.  So that is around 20 wipes a day and we washed diapers every other day so maybe 40.  With an older baby, I was probably using closer to 10/day.  My only advice is don't buy or make flannel wipes.  Ewww. Tried making them and they stuck and didn't work well at all.  We ended up using very thin terry cloth Gerber washcloths which were great. 

Perfect, thank you!

Maker-mama, joyously loving my boy, Winter Rhys, born 12/2011, and our twins, Wren and Forest, born 4/2014.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page