Cloth Diaper Stash? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 52 Old 07-30-2011, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What CDs are you planning on using for your babies?

I found about 20 NB prefolds and 2 fitteds that were in a box that I was planning to sell. I know I have another box somewhere, but I have to look to see what else I have left from my last baby.. So, I think I will only need covers and snappies.

What will you be using?

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#2 of 52 Old 07-30-2011, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I bought a dozen Babykicks OS organic fitteds, and 3 Bummis covers... that's all I have so far, but my mom will probably get a random assortment of cloth diapers at her second hand store... they come in looking brand new sometimes! 

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#3 of 52 Old 07-30-2011, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So far I'm severely lacking.. I have two flip covers, prefolds that I'm getting from a friend, and about four kushies all in ones that probably need to be stripped. I will be honest though, I'm not planning on starting cloth until about a month in.. I just know I'll be too insane from having the baby, Christmas, and all that.

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#4 of 52 Old 07-30-2011, 08:56 PM

I will also be using sposies for a bit at first...people always give them to me, plus some from the hospital and whatever free samples I get...I like them for the meconium and then even the first month or so when they need changed CONSTANTLY lol...sounds horrible, but, I get more sleep if they are in sposies and I can wait 2 wets or so before changing!

That said, I have tons of NB PFs, a handful of NB covers, and XS AIOs/pockets...I have enough, but, I plan to buy a few more with some store credit I have at a local consignment shop that sell used CD's once I find out the gender..I just want some more fun ones lol. Once baby is 6mos or so I have a TON of BumGenious and other pockets and will probably mostly use pockets, but, I also have a TON of regular and toddler PF's and some covers and some fitteds also...so I am really set once baby is big enough to fit one size/small CDs...I have skinny babies, so I can only use NB for a long time - my 2yo still fits small CDs lol...he is 26lbs, but, he is long so everything else is too wide in the legs.

#5 of 52 Old 07-30-2011, 10:10 PM

I'm a first timer, so we'll see what works, but I definately have in mind what I --think-- I like most. I have mostly small and OS Fuzzibunz and AMP pocket diapers, (about 20 total) plus we bought a ton of microfibre cloths to use as extra inserts, since the AMP are also very easy to use with the insert laid flat inside, instead of stuffed (more like a prefold and cover). I also have about 10 kushies AIO's that are in pretty sad shape, but will work in a pinch. We'll pick up more to fill out our stash once I've confirmed what we like. I'm hoping to stick with the AMP's, and they're made locally, so I can run to the store and pick some up without ordering. 

Then for the newborn/xs stage I have four new kushies AIO's, three fitteds, and I picked up a set of 10 bummis prefolds and two covers. I won't buy any more newborn size diapers, like someone else said, I'm taking full advantage of all the samples that we can get, and then I'll probably buy a costco sized box of newborn diapers. Once those run out, hopefully baby will be closer to the OS and small diapers. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#6 of 52 Old 07-31-2011, 03:12 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I am still deciding what to get.  I was hoping to see some hand me down diapers, but most of my friends who cloth diapered have all ready passed theirs on.  I won't buy anything yet though.  Cloth diapers seem to just show up every once in a while. 

If I was to buy anything it will be Bummis Super Lite covers with prefolds.  Though the Bummis Super Brites are also nice.  I have used Bummis before and really liked them, so will probably just stick with what I know.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#7 of 52 Old 07-31-2011, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Oh, and I do sposies for the first week or two as well.  Those first few days are messy and exhausted, so I take advantage of those free and convenient diapers.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#8 of 52 Old 07-31-2011, 08:32 AM

We were crazy broke when dd3 was born (she got receiving blanket and dish towel flats and a couple recycled soakers for the first few months) so I'm starting pretty well from scratch for this little one.  My plan is to have a dozen infant prefolds, 2 dozen smalls, and a dozen nb/sm fitteds for overnight.  For covers, I'm planning 4 sm bummies super brites and 4-5 pairs of longies, and maybe a few wool wraps/soakers if I come across any good deals.  I'm working on finishing up a set of 4 sleep sacks as well.  I feel pretty confident mostly bypassing the newborn sizes in favor of smalls as my girls were all 10+ pounds by 4wks.

#9 of 52 Old 07-31-2011, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

We are crazy broke for this baby... luckily I have some leftovers from DS2. I don't think I have any NB, just smalls and some meds.

I will probably do sposies for meconium too.. whatever they give us at the hossy and we might buy a pack. I imagine we might be given some also.

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#10 of 52 Old 08-01-2011, 03:22 PM

I had forgotten about meconium but was planning on doing sposies for probably a solid month anyhow.  After that, I have mostly swaddlebees one size pockets, bumgenius cotton all-in-ones, and a couple motherease.  I have not missed stuffing pockets but am kind of excited to get the diapers out and strip them and everything again. 

#11 of 52 Old 08-01-2011, 06:51 PM

I forgot about stripping the dipes...thanks for mentioning that! I know they haven't been done in a while - DS2 did not tollerate cloth very well so we mostly used sposies with him so I don't think they have been stripped since DS1 was an infant.

#12 of 52 Old 08-02-2011, 08:01 AM

We're doing a combo of pre-loved (so far we have 7 fitteds, 7 covers - bummis & sustainable babyish wool knit, 6 pockets - blueberry minkie (TO DIE FOR), happy heiny, baby kanga....the fitteds and covers are size small, the pockets are one size fits all) and new (probably get a couple of dozen good prefolds and couple of snappis to fasten them) and see how we do with that. I think seven covers should do us, but if we need a couple more, we'll get those as needed. Depending on how we like the various types/combos, we'll decide what to do when it's time to get mediums. I found some one size covers that come with a snap in liner at a local natural parenting store, so that might be what we go with for bigger sizes, if we like prefolds and covers. Oh! I also have a bunch of Fuzzibuns, size medium I think.

The assorted smalls and the one sizes came from one friend de-stashing, the Fuzzi's came from another friend de-stashing, and whatever we buy will come from greenmountaindiapers.com and/or that local store. For newborn size, we'll use disposables the first week or so (however long a bag or two of 'sposies lasts us) and then there is a stash of newborn sized (assorted types) cloth diapers that circulates amongst my cloth diapering buds.

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#13 of 52 Old 08-04-2011, 12:43 PM

Since DS is potty-learning right now (he's almost 2), hopefully we'll have his (about 10) Sunbaby diaps available when this one arrives.  And I just ordered 10 custom-made gender-neutral cloth diapers from a fb friend who makes them.  So baby should have about 20 (including some snazzy Cleveland Browns diaps, astrology diaps, etc lol). 

Kaiti, in heartbeat.gif with Shane, astrological mama to spitdrink.gif Sophie *12.27.05*, praying.gif Maya *09.25.07*, sleepytime.gif Phoenix *08.23.09* & 3rdtri.gif due *12.04.11*  Having a hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg lotbirth.gif after 3 cesareans!

#14 of 52 Old 08-04-2011, 04:18 PM

We're going for fitteds with covers, maybe some pre-folds in there as well. I really like GMD Workhorse diapers. I've heard nothing but good things about them and the price is most definitely right! The store I'm managing just opened this week and we had a Hutterite woman(there's a colony just outside the town I'm in) come in and ask about selling some homemade diapers. She said they weren't used and she had about 40 and she said she would bring some in for us to look at, but she left before I could get any more details. I hope she comes back soon because if she's selling something I'm interested in, I might just buy up her stash.

Wife to DH stillheart.gif 08/09 and SAHM to DD 09/08 and DS 11/11

Surprise! Expecting #3 Nov. 2013!
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36 yikes2.gif **40

#15 of 52 Old 08-04-2011, 05:51 PM

I just bought a dozen size small AIOs from Cotton Babies clearance section.  Today I also picked up 6 XS from where I work.  I'll use the XS AIOs for 3am diaper changes, and prefolds and NB covers in the begining when baby is growing fast but too small for most everything else.  After that stage, I'll use the small AIOs and OS AIOs that I have already.   :)

It's exciting to be able to buy some PINK diapers after 5 years of primary colors.  ;)

#16 of 52 Old 08-05-2011, 02:43 PM

My mom just informed me that she has a big stash of cloth diapers for me! Some used, some new, but all free. smile.gif They're prefolds, and she has a bunch of covers in different sizes, brands, and conditions, as well. I'll probably have to buy a few covers to "fill in the gaps," but how nice to not have to buy all new! Especially since DH and I are moving across the country in a few weeks and money will be tight.

#17 of 52 Old 08-05-2011, 10:44 PM

Fantastic!  My MIL is an expert deal finder, and a few years ago she picked up about a dozen AIO's from a local thrift store for $9.99 total. They went to my SIL's place, who then didn't end up cloth diapering... and were supposed to come to us "next time she found them". A few months ago they moved, and she informed us that they are lost forever, and she thinks she may have donated them to charity. I was so soo disappointed. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#18 of 52 Old 08-06-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigellas View Post

I just bought a dozen size small AIOs from Cotton Babies clearance section.  Today I also picked up 6 XS from where I work.  I'll use the XS AIOs for 3am diaper changes, and prefolds and NB covers in the begining when baby is growing fast but too small for most everything else.  After that stage, I'll use the small AIOs and OS AIOs that I have already.   :)

It's exciting to be able to buy some PINK diapers after 5 years of primary colors.  ;)

HaHa I have a bunch of store credit at a local store that sells new and used cloth diapers and I have been holding onto it until i found out the gender, now that I found it is a girl I am so excited to start buying girly diapers! I mean flames and dinosaurs and blue is ok...I'm sure she will wear thsoe too...but she is getting some pink and some girly prints! LOL!

#19 of 52 Old 08-07-2011, 05:28 AM

We have prefolds and covers and AIOs left over from DD, and I'm making some fitteds to have for around the house. Right now DD goes coverless in a fitted around the house and it's perfect. I'm also making up some wool covers and dyeing them with some leftover wool interlock I have. I think we're set, I just need to buy fabric since I'm also making a layette too.
#20 of 52 Old 08-07-2011, 06:34 AM

We have about 12 kissaluvs and some newborn prefolds and covers and then a lot of regular size prefolds and a few bumgenius all in ones.  We ended up using a diaper service when dd was about 6 mo to 1 yr but ended up using sposies once she started daycare (they wouldn't do cloth diapers there).

Not sure how I am going to handle twins.  There is a newborn diaper rental service that I might use (that doesn't do laundry pickup - they just rent out the diapers) or I might find a diaper pick up service.  I really like the kissaluvs for the newborn stage but I don't want to invest in more diapers as I think we are done after these 2.

mama to dust.gifdd 8/09 and slingtwin.gif dd + ds 11/11

#21 of 52 Old 08-07-2011, 07:28 AM

Do you have anyone somewhat nearby that would loan them to you? Even buying used, Kissaluvs seem to pop up quite often.... you could probably buy them, and then sell them again in a ffew months and not be out all the much money at all, especially compared to what you would have spent in sposies. 

#22 of 52 Old 08-07-2011, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

I talked to a friend of mine the other day (the one who got me started with CD when we had our #1 DC), and she said she has a bunch of CDs she can send me that she isn't using anymore. I have no idea what they are, but knowing her they are awesome!

#23 of 52 Old 08-07-2011, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

Do you have anyone somewhat nearby that would loan them to you? Even buying used, Kissaluvs seem to pop up quite often.... you could probably buy them, and then sell them again in a ffew months and not be out all the much money at all, especially compared to what you would have spent in sposies. 

I've sold them on diaperswappers.com after using them (and I've bought many used from there too)

#24 of 52 Old 08-07-2011, 04:52 PM

I think we're going to use sposies for a couple months, then I'm going to invest in a new set of AIOs when I get my tax return.  I may get some new prefolds or fitteds to use around the house, but this is baby #4 and I just plain don't WANT to have to deal with anything for the first few weeks this time.  

My three year old just had a big setback with potty learning, and he can't use cloth (the only one I have who can't.. doesn't matter the wash routine, the material- ANYTHING- nothing is workable for him.  He'll be back to potty learned by Dec though (he's developed diabetes insipidus,  as a result, he's peeing *constantly* so what was easy for him, is now hard again.)  My almost 2 yo is about to start pl- and I suspect he'll just be finishing up when this baby is born.  We may have a  little setback, but it will be quickly overcome.  he's my 'easy' baby and seems to do everything without a hitch... so far. 

#25 of 52 Old 08-08-2011, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

My 4 year old is just barely totally potty learned (minus a few accidents here and there). But I will also have another one in diapers. The newborn will be the only one in CDs though. Mostly because my 2yr old's poop and a NB's poop are totally different. I don't mind using cloth when I don't have to spray off poop in the toliet before washing. But I really don't want to deal with it for my older one.

#26 of 52 Old 10-12-2011, 06:48 PM

I'm reviving this thread instead of starting a new one. 

How is everyone's stashes looking? Mine hasn't changed much, but I DID go pick up detergent today, so I'm washing my first load of diapers. Squeee! The only thing, is that I got gun shy just as I was putting them in the wash-- the microfibre inserts we bought are really just microfibre shop towels- and they are blue and yellow. DH already pre-stripped them for me right after we bought them, so they've already been washed a few times, but I'm still nervous about the color staining the white insides of my pocket dipes... so I threw in all the Fuzzi bunz (which are a bit dingy inside already), and all the inserts, and then I'm going to wash the AMP diapers (with the crystal clean white interiors) separate... just until I've confirmed that the blue/yellow won't run anymore. 

Anyways, this is our current stash-- I'm feeling good about it. We plan to use sposies for the first bit, in combination with the days worth of preemie/newborn prefolds I have, until the smalls and OS start to fit. Several people have told me the AMP OS really do fit from 7lbs, so I'm crossing my fingers!

7 small pocket AMP (6-18lb)

8 OS pocket AMP (7-35lb)

7 small FB (7-18lb)

4 nb/small no name fitteds (too wide for bummis covers, so I don’t have covers for them…)

4 medium FB (15-30lb)

4 NB kooshies (4-10lb)

2 preemie (4-9lb) bummis superbrite WW

10 organic cotton preemie inserts

11 inserts (microfiber and other)

5 gauzey inserts (newborn only)

24 microfibre cloth/inserts

So she'll have two covers, about 10 pf's and 4 AIO's for the newborn stage (with sposies). Then once she moves into the small and OS, it will bump her up to 22 pockets/covers (the AMP's are technically AI2's), and about 35 inserts. She'll outgrow the smalls around 18lbs... and then we'll have to reevaluate our stash, since that brings us down to 12 covers/pockets, with the same 35 inserts. I guess it'll depend on how much we like using the AMPs as covers with the insert laid on top, as opposed to stuffed. 

I just need to get MIL to pick up fabric for some stay dry liners (since the microfibre can't go against baby's skin if we use them to lay on top). I bought the lg wetbag today to hang in the room, and then we got a pail for downstairs a few days ago. I figure we'll use the upstairs wetbag, and once a day or so, I will transfer those into the downstairs pail. Haven't decided if we'll do dry or wet pail down there. And then wash every 2-3 days. I should probably also get a wetbag for the diaperbag, just to hold 1-2 diapers I guess. 

*headspin* I'm so excited though!

#27 of 52 Old 10-12-2011, 07:02 PM

I'm actually going to be making my own fitteds from pre-folds and buying some covers. The store I work at sells Indian pre-folds and Rump-a-rooz covers so we'll just buy them there since I can get them at cost(employee discount!). The pre-folds are normally $3 each, but I get them at $1.50. I made two diapers from newborn size pre-folds and gave them to a friend to try on her baby. I wanted to make sure they worked well before I made a bunch of them for the baby and she said they worked great! DH gets paid this week so I might pick up some more pre-folds and get started making my stash. The tutorial I found is really simple and doesn't take long once you get the hang of it. Plus, it doesn't require removing any part of the diaper so I get the good absorbency of the pre-fold, just in a nice fitted diaper instead. We'll probably have some plain pre-folds on hand as well for emergencies and burp cloths. We'll probably use the newborn pre-folds as doublers once baby grows into the premium size. We might get some AIO's like Fuzzibunz or Rump-a-rooz(also at my store, so yay discount!) for babysitters and stuff and we'll probably have some sposies on hand just in case.

#28 of 52 Old 10-13-2011, 08:33 AM

I purchased 18 newborn DSQ fitteds from greenmountaindiapers.com  They are super cute and should last 6-10 weeks depending on baby size.  I have 3 wool covers in small and a few other covers that should work.  I have usually used disposables for the first few weeks til baby fits into small fuzzibunz of which I share an inventory with my sisters.  So I have about 1 1/2 dozen of those and 2 dozen small prefolds for the next stage.  Along with a few dozen wipes and a wipes warmer i picked up second hand.  I still need diaper pail, liner and changing table/ dresser and pad, and lots of good detergent.  And I need to lanolize my wool covers.  I did buy a disana wool cover that is super cute, although I have never used this kind so it will be a new experience.  The other wool covers are bumpy (imse vimse) velcro style, which I have used a lot and really like.  

#29 of 52 Old 10-13-2011, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

I have:

2 dozen infant prefolds

1 small thirsties cover

2 NB fitteds

1 NB AIO pocket

1 small swim diaper (who knows if he'll actually use it, but I had it already)

1 small pocket

1 snappi

I have several med diapers in all sorts, but I haven't really got through them yet, they are just hanging out in a box.

I need:

3-4 small covers

3-4 snappies

a few more small AIOs for going out

Wetbag

Wipes/warmer

I'll use sposies until he grows into the the smalls.

#30 of 52 Old 10-13-2011, 05:34 PM

I might get some GMD Workhorse diapers in newborn size as well, we'll see how many I can churn out before the little one arrives.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page