CONFESSIONS! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-13-2011, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone have any juicy confessions?   I have a few as I sit here and drink a coke. I'm not usually a soda drinker but today it just tastes really good.  I drink coffee every morning, I ate 7 blueberry muffins yesterday, and I drink a half a glass of wine every week. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2011, 01:06 PM

Nothing particularly interesting. A  half a beer once in a blue moon, and I'm not slowing down as much as I probably 'should' but I don't obsess too much if I can help it. 

Old 08-13-2011, 01:45 PM

Haha...yeah, a little beer...I had a martini in a shot glass too...I was craving it o.O But I've had hardly any caffeine and haven't smoked or eaten any of the other "bad" things (except a pie made with raw eggs...not the whole pie!) so I don't worry about it.

in love with and married to my best friend ♥ snuggling my baby girl Ari Grace, 12-4-11

Old 08-13-2011, 01:53 PM

I find the 'no alcohol EVER' rule to be one of the most overused things ever.  Most people have the common sense not to drink any substantial amount when pregnant, and there are, in fact, many midwives who advocate a small glass of wine or a little beer on occasion- particularly when someone has an irritable uterus.  

There is a HUGE difference between that and drinking daily/excessively and the kneejerk 'omg you will hurt the baby!!' thing just annoys me. 

Old 08-13-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidevoice View Post

I find the 'no alcohol EVER' rule to be one of the most overused things ever.  Most people have the common sense not to drink any substantial amount when pregnant, and there are, in fact, many midwives who advocate a small glass of wine or a little beer on occasion- particularly when someone has an irritable uterus.  

There is a HUGE difference between that and drinking daily/excessively and the kneejerk 'omg you will hurt the baby!!' thing just annoys me. 

Yeah exactly...which is why we figured it's ok. Even smoking isn't horrible in moderation. The book I was reading the other day talked about the health detriments of 10 cigarettes a day. I was feeling guilty for smoking 1 a day before I found out I was pregnant...but no more xD

in love with and married to my best friend ♥ snuggling my baby girl Ari Grace, 12-4-11

Old 08-13-2011, 02:09 PM

I'm drinking a diet coke right now.  During my pregnancy with dd I completely cut out diet soda but had an occasional glass of wine (once or twice a week) and went out for sushi fairly regularly.

I have no interest in wine during this pregnancy but I am having a lot more trouble avoiding caffeine and diet soda.

mama to dust.gifdd 8/09 and slingtwin.gif dd + ds 11/11

Old 08-13-2011, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Oh boy... I had a sip of wine on my wedding day (I'd have had more if it tasted good) Occasionally I have sandwich meat... it's an easy no-cook dinner... I NEED to be lazy sometimes, and the kids like picnics! Soft cheese... it didn't occur to me until last week that cream cheese is soft. Coffee, I cut back from a pot a day to 1 - 2 mugs. We're going to a water park with a bunch of big slides soon, and if they have a pregnancy warning, I might ignore it once or twice... I'm a big chicken, I don't think anything I'd be willing to go down would *really* be a danger to the baby.... besides, I went 4X4ing when I was pregnant with DS and that didn't rattle him out. They have a lot more rules than even 10 years ago!

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:25 PM

Oh goodness- water parks- I had to redo my WSI and lifeguarding certifications when I was pregnant last time.  That included a leap from an elevated chair which was SUBSTANTIALLY  more impact than any water park would have.  

I suspect that a lot of the rules are there to protect people/businesses from litigation when people fail to listen to the limitations of their own bodies. 

Old 08-13-2011, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I drink 2 cups of coffee in the morning. I've had a beer or 2 a week sometimes... wine gives me heartburn these days. Is s-e-x taboo? there's lots of that! Smoking... eh.. that's the hardest one for me. I'll confess I've had a few here and there, and really don't feel that guilty about it since Its rare (its my stress releiver and my ex and I have been battling custody in court, so....... bag.gif)

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
Old 08-13-2011, 02:51 PM

I completely ignore the soft cheese warning as long as 1) the cheese is pasteurized and 2) it isn't sitting out in a deli buffet etc.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:52 PM

I don't drink coffee ever, (it gives me the shakes), but I have a glass of pop almost every day and shoot dirty looks at anyone who tells me I can't. I haven't had alcohol, but only because I only like really girly drinks like belinis and margaritas-- and don't have the nerve to order them while I'm out. 

I eat sandwich meat whenever I feel like it, and no I don't feel guilty. 

I'm eating entirely too much sugar, but balancing it with more fruits and veggies, so in my brain that cancels out. *nods*. lol

Oh-- and I go in our hot tub almost every day. It's turned down to 98 degrees, so really it's bath temperature, but it's by far my biggest vice. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 08-13-2011, 02:58 PM

oooh I'd love to get in the hot tub.  The one at my gym is too hot.  I am going on vacation the beginning of Sept and the house has a hot tub.  I plan to turn it down a bit and soak the entire week.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:03 PM

It's one of those only times each day when my whole body feels in balance. It's just soooo soothing. I normally don't even turn the jets on, I just bring a book and float for half hour or so. It's easier than filling the bathtub each day! 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 08-13-2011, 05:20 PM

I've had a half of a glass of wine a couple times.. I shower in way too hot of water.. and I'm being super fly lazy.

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

Old 08-13-2011, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

I eat sandwich meat whenever I feel like it, and no I don't feel guilty. 

I'm eating entirely too much sugar, but balancing it with more fruits and veggies, so in my brain that cancels out. *nods*. lol

Ditto these!

I'm not making myself eat more just because I "should" (or "can" - apparently I'm supposed to eat a carton of ice cream every night with the justification "I'm pregnant"?) Since I ate pretty sparingly pre-pregnancy (just my natural rhythm), this means I'm still not eating a LOT - although I do go through periods of eating a surprising amount, like, DH-gives-me-big-eyes surprising amount... I just eat when I'm hungry and I don't when I'm not, but you'd be surprised how many people nag me to eat more. >.< I'm 24 weeks and up about 13lbs, I'm gaining just fine! (But yeah, my sweet tooth has gone wild... I never really had one before!)

I am, however, taking full advantage of the pregnancy excuse to nap whenever possible. =D

Just a homegrown heretic hopelessly in love with her amazing DH, 2.5 year old Eli, and now expecting a new arrival April 2015.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh, yay, this thread makes me happy! I'm totally in agreement about the alcohol thing--it's so silly to think a sip or a glassfull is a disaster. Until a few weeks ago, alcohol and coffee (and chocolate--boo!) made me sick, but now that that's passed, I drink a cup or so of coffee most days, and I've had a beer a week. Ooo, a cold, dark beer in a warm day is such bliss!

I can't believe how many things there are now that you're not supposed to do or eat--it's a little crazy, and it feels...unnecessary to me. I don't follow any of the food prohibitions, except I avoid tuna and big fish sushi. I just eat when and what I like, and it serves me and my extra 15 pounds just fine!

The one thing I'm not so good about is exercise. I cycle for an hour a few times per week, and walk a good amount, but that's just how I get around, since I don't drive. But my arms are getting a bit loosie-goosie, and my knees bow in a lot now (but I blame that on the expanded hips). I could do better, but I've decided not to feel guilty about anything.

Maker-mama, joyously loving my boy, Winter Rhys, born 12/2011, and our twins, Wren and Forest, born 4/2014.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:25 PM

I eat whatever I want, whenever I want. Including but not limited to the dark beer I had on my anniversary because I had been craving it for 3 days - and i don't drink beer! I figured my body needed something in it. I drink Dr. Pepper daily because my add brain needs it to accomplish anything. 

Did you know in France they won't look at you funny if you order wine at 9 months pregnant but will REFUSE to serve you salad!? They believe that the risk of disease in raw veggies is too high. I discovered this while researching to confirm that occasional drinking while pregnant is no danger. (There are very few studies on occasional to moderate - many for daily drinking) There is actually one study that says children  under 5 I think it was whose mothers drank 1-2 drinks per week while pregnant had fewer emotional and behavioral issues.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:08 PM

Let's see...

I drink coffee 1-2 times per day, I eat lunch meat when I want to (I'm not a big fan so it is pretty rare - but, I certainly don't worry over it), I eat soft cheeses, I have drank an occasional half glass of wine, I don't take prenatal vitimins (and I lie about this every time I visit the midwife lol), I take too hot of showers, I'm sure any of us who have other kids are guilty of this...but I definately lift and carry way more than I should, I am sure there is way more....

Old 08-14-2011, 08:41 PM

ooooh, I have too many of those types of confessions to share ;) but I will say that my 2nd trimester jumpstarted a nasty caffeine addiction. I made peanut butter cookies today and ate at least 10! For some reason I crave sushi and beer while pregnant and have given in to both in moderation. I also eat way more fast food than I should :( 

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
Old 08-15-2011, 09:18 AM

i drink a latte every morning, forget to take my floradix often, and consumed that dear old weed 3 times.

heartbeat.gifMomma to baby boy Ember.babyf.gifborn at home 12/22/11.  Madly loving his daddy Thimble guitar.gif since 6/26/09. 

Old 08-15-2011, 10:15 AM

I read in one of my "mommy" books that cream cheese is actually ok!

Last night I had smoked salmon and a dessert that had Guinness in it :D I forget to take my vitamins too...I don't eat enough (the heat makes me not hungry) and I don't exercise (just getting over some NASTY back pain).

Old 08-15-2011, 12:12 PM

Smoked salmon is 'bad' now, too? Well, you can add me to that list too, then!

Old 08-15-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummoth View Post

Smoked salmon is 'bad' now, too? Well, you can add me to that list too, then!

yep, because it's not cooked with super high heat. 

Mind you, while I don't care for it, I happily feed it to my kids without a second thought- it's a favorite around here. 

Old 08-15-2011, 01:33 PM

I LOVE smoked salmon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-15-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidevoice View Post

yep, because it's not cooked with super high heat. 

Mind you, while I don't care for it, I happily feed it to my kids without a second thought- it's a favorite around here. 

Thanks for the explanation. Maybe I haven't heard this one because I'm so close to the ocean... our fish is probably as fresh as you can get without catching it yourself. Maybe it's not because I'm OLD!!

Old 08-15-2011, 05:51 PM

I have cut down on coffee from one pot to about two cups a day. What I do is, half caffeine free, half caffinated coffee. I also have a coke zero during the day!

If I went completely caffeine free, I'd be stressed. Coffee in the morning relaxes me. lol!

Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

Old 08-16-2011, 06:28 PM

This thread is hilarious. Didn't kick the caffeine habit. Made a go of it, but decided my blood pressure was way to low. (Running in the 80's/50's) and I was just dragging and seeing spots every day. So now I have my once a day, much enjoyed highly caffeinated tea and drink lots of water (or try to) the rest of the day to compensate. I also eat sushi whenever I feel like it, avoiding the fish high in mercury or BPA. Haven't had alcohol but will be traveling next week and expect to have some wine then. 

Old 08-17-2011, 11:34 AM

Oh man. I drink a cup or 2 of coffee on morning when I work early (M-wed usually), have a light beer every few days, eat sushi, lunch meats, and soft cheeses if I feel like it. Lift too much weight, shower and bathe in too hot of water, and probably a few more things I'm forgetting. This pregnancy I haven't been craving desserts so I have been eating pretty healthy and lots of whole foods... hopefully that buys me a few points?

Old 08-17-2011, 11:56 AM

I get a kick out of reading this.  I do know that it is important to  be aware and wise about what I am putting into my body, but if we were in as much danger from a soft cheese or some sushi as some would have us believe, humans would have died out LONG ago. 

Old 08-17-2011, 12:14 PM

Just remembered another one: I clean my cat box.

User Tag List