Co-sleeping! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 08-16-2011, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone else planning on co-sleeping with their baby???

I don't see the point of buying a brand new crib knowing the baby will never use it. My DS NEVER used it.

I may get a bassinet, or a plan pen, if I need a minute to go pee by myself etc.

I just don't see the need to buy a $200 crib that is never going to be used.

Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 40 Old 08-16-2011, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We're co-sleeping. I have a pack n play from my older 2, and that will be set up in the bedroom for when we need it (bed alone time wink1.gif)

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#3 of 40 Old 08-16-2011, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

We are pretty much starting from the beginning, we do have a crib in the store room from our first son but that one's been through so many moves, and no screws haha! So I think I'll get a pack n play too if we need some "time" together ;). They are cheaper anyways.

This pregnancy I am all for "easy" I am not even stressing over the fact that we have nothing yet. We will get it. We have a friend who knows someone who is selling brand new baby clothes never worn for 10 bucks a garbage bag. I think i'll do that too.

Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

#4 of 40 Old 08-16-2011, 10:09 AM

I will cosleep- some- this time.  I have with my other kids, and I'm finally at a space where I really want my body/bed/kid-free space carved out sometimes for my own well being. 

Right now, I am still cosleeping with my three year old and two year old and um- I'm pretty much DONE.  Love them dearly, but they need to sleep in their own space now because Mom has absolutely NO time to herself and it's taking a toll on her sanity. dizzy.gif Over the next little while they will be um- encouraged- into their own space, particularly after we move and they have their own Really Cool Room!

The baby will certainly be invited to cosleep while nursing, but I plan to aim to have a crib set up for napping and for starting the night as often as possible.  I would like him/her in their own space (mostly completely) by the time they are about a year old. 

I know- it's not as 'attached' as I once was, and I may well feel differently then, but right NOW, I am actively planning to create a little more space for me as myself, and not just me as 'Mooooooooooommmmmmm!' I tend to struggle with PPD, and part of that for me has included a need to recognize that doing things for myself doesn't always mean I am not meeting the kids' needs.  There has to  be compromise or Mom is a really cranky, no-fun kind of Mom.  

#5 of 40 Old 08-16-2011, 11:11 AM

We're planning to cosleep as well, just adding baby to the already somewhat chaotic mix in the bed now. Our two silly cats cuddle at our feet and baby will cuddle at our chests. Definitely not buying a crib, or even a pack and play, but I have a great wicker laundry basket I'll use as a bassinet when Little Do needs his/her own space. When baby is big enough to be squirmy and annoying in bed with us, I'll just make up a little palette on the floor next to us, so it'll be close. Then we'll just do what seems right at the time.

Maker-mama, joyously loving my boy, Winter Rhys, born 12/2011, and our twins, Wren and Forest, born 4/2014.
#6 of 40 Old 08-16-2011, 11:28 AM

We're planning to co-sleep. I co-slept with DD until she was 6 months old and needed more of her own space to sleep in, so we started putting her in her crib at the beginning of the night and then she'd wake up around 4 am and come into bed with us for the rest of the night. She started sleeping through the night in her crib at 8 months. This time around, we're looking at getting a co-sleeper simply because our bed is only a full and it can get cramped with me, DH and a baby in there. Plus, DD usually still comes into our room in the morning and snuggles for about half an hour. DD is currently sleeping in the crib, which has been converted to a toddler bed. We figure once we move this spring, we'll get DD a twin bed and then the crib will be available for when we decide to move the next LO out of our bed.

Wife to DH stillheart.gif 08/09 and SAHM to DD 09/08 and DS 11/11

Surprise! Expecting #3 Nov. 2013!
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36 yikes2.gif **40

#7 of 40 Old 08-16-2011, 11:47 AM

I'm planning on cosleeping for a while...mainly because I'm sick of getting up in the middle of the night! Lol But most likely as s/he gets older, and sleeps through the night more, I'll phase that out. I really like my space and alone time with my husband!!

in love with and married to my best friend ♥ snuggling my baby girl Ari Grace, 12-4-11

#8 of 40 Old 08-16-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLamb View Post

I'm planning on cosleeping for a while...mainly because I'm sick of getting up in the middle of the night! Lol But most likely as s/he gets older, and sleeps through the night more, I'll phase that out. I really like my space and alone time with my husband!!

This is pretty much me.  I don't want to get up every 2 hours in our cold house and stumble across to the other room so co-sleeping makes sense to begin with, but I'm not a bed-sharer.  No pets, no kids.  (in general - occasional snuggling is a-ok)

#9 of 40 Old 08-16-2011, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I might do something like I did with DD, which could most accurately be described as musical beds. We have a crib that I got for free and called and got new parts for, a pack and play, and a futon set up in Blobby's room. I think the only time I'd be comfortable having the baby in bed with both of us will be in the morning when I won't really sleep anyway... I've been elbowed too many times to trust DH next to a newborn! In the futon, I'll be able to nurse the baby and then scootch away for a bit of space, but still have him/her within arm's reach. the pack and play can be right next to our bed, and the crib will be in Blobby's room... DH or I might even crash in the futon if we get the baby into the crib, it's good for them to be able to hear you breathing... though it'll be able to hear DH's snoring from the other room sometimes! For now, I'm just trying to keep my options open. As DH would say "No plan survives contact with the enemy!"

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#10 of 40 Old 08-16-2011, 02:05 PM

I have a queen, king and twin covering my room from wall to wall. 8yo, 2yo, 1yo, hubs and me. We are just scooting everyone over a bit to make a safe zone for the newb between myself and hubby. None of mine have ever slept in a crib, though I did I as I thought I should and had one for my first.

#11 of 40 Old 08-16-2011, 03:26 PM

We have a crib set up sort of like a side car to the bed, like a cosleeper but bigger (and free because we've had it since Ry was born)..

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#12 of 40 Old 08-16-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
The baby will certainly be invited to cosleep while nursing, but I plan to aim to have a crib set up for napping and for starting the night as often as possible.  I would like him/her in their own space (mostly completely) by the time they are about a year old. 

This is probably the most similiar to what we are planning. We are in a queen, and it already feels squished, but i oh so love the feeling of waking up beside a baby. But-- I also know that DH is too heavy a sleeper for it to be a full time thing. Spacewise we'll all be miserable. OUr bedroom is right next door to the nursery (tiny house), and for the first few months, we're setting up a pack and play right beside our bed-- so I'll hopefully put baby to bed in there, get up nurse, snuggle a bit, put baby back, rinse and repeat until morning when DH gets up and the baby will probably come into bed with me until I wake up for good. 

I have a feeling once the baby is bigger it'll be a more common thing for a few months, but not in the tiny stage. And naps/night starts will hopefully always be in the crib (unless mama is napping too!) We also have an 8lb puppy to contend with as well, and he's currently being trained to sleep on his bed on the floor, as I'm not getting any sleep with both him and DH in the bed. Fine if it's only one of them, and puppy snuggles are almost as good as baby snuggles, but it's just not worth my sanity. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#13 of 40 Old 08-16-2011, 06:07 PM

We'll co-sleep, but I am leaning against bed sharing for the most part this time.  I am sure it will happen sometimes, but I literally spent the first 15 months of DS's life walking around in a total fog from sleep deprivation and I don't want to deal with that again with a three year old too.  So, my plan is to read up on No Cry Sleep Solution and right from the start not do the same things that seemed to perpetuate DS being a horrible sleeper.  I'm also thinking I'll cut dairy out right when this baby is born because that also contributed.  I'm really on the fence and I have a feeling once baby arrives I am going to feel guilty not bed sharing, but I am going to try to remember all the reasons I wished I hadn't when DS was 7 months old and waking up every 20 minutes all night long. 

#14 of 40 Old 08-16-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post

We'll co-sleep, but I am leaning against bed sharing for the most part this time.  I am sure it will happen sometimes, but I literally spent the first 15 months of DS's life walking around in a total fog from sleep deprivation and I don't want to deal with that again with a three year old too.  So, my plan is to read up on No Cry Sleep Solution and right from the start not do the same things that seemed to perpetuate DS being a horrible sleeper.  I'm also thinking I'll cut dairy out right when this baby is born because that also contributed.  I'm really on the fence and I have a feeling once baby arrives I am going to feel guilty not bed sharing, but I am going to try to remember all the reasons I wished I hadn't when DS was 7 months old and waking up every 20 minutes all night long. 

Indeed- I love cosleeping with a teeny baby- but I've been doing it and it really has NOT helped my little guys learn to sleep well.  I need refuel time. 

Oh and the 6-15 month 15-20 minute wake ups nearly KILLED me with my youngest.  It was awful.  I will do anything I can to avoid a repeat. 

#15 of 40 Old 08-16-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidevoice View Post

Indeed- I love cosleeping with a teeny baby- but I've been doing it and it really has NOT helped my little guys learn to sleep well.  I need refuel time. 

Oh and the 6-15 month 15-20 minute wake ups nearly KILLED me with my youngest.  It was awful.  I will do anything I can to avoid a repeat. 

So awful!  Especially when I was foolishly telling myself "it will be better by 6 months, 9 months, 12 months" and so on and then still being up all night!  Yes, I definitely do not want a repeat.  I am definitely going to keep this in mind when I am laying in bed with teeny baby thinking how easy it is to nurse to sleep. 

#16 of 40 Old 08-16-2011, 06:19 PM

We are planning to co-sleep/bed share along with the space factor of a queen size bed, and no room for larger in our tiny place. A few people have told me about the Fisher Price RockN Play and that it can be used sort of like a bassinet so planning to place that next to the bed for in between when we want the bed to ourselves. Also plan on having a pak and play (not in the bedroom, just around for when I need to put her down to sleep some place I don't have to worry about her rolling off a bed. I think that between the two, we won't really need a crib till she is at least 6 months. I have heard positive things about the book Happy Babies, Healthy Sleep Habits by Marc Weissbleuth.

#17 of 40 Old 08-16-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayachel View Post

I have heard positive things about the book Happy Babies, Healthy Sleep Habits by Marc Weissbleuth.

You might want to reconsider this.  Even our pediatrician who is super mainstream told me she thought Weissbleuth's methods were "cruel."  Her words.  He pretty much advocates crying it out, and I am not certain of this, but I think at a pretty early age compared to other CIO advocates.  CIO works because baby learns that he/she cannot trust her caregiver to come comfort her when she is upset, so she quits trying.  Weissbluth refers to it as "extinction" I think.  I don't think it is a good thing for a baby to have the one method of communication that he or she has available to them extinguished.  You might want to look into No Cry Sleep Solution if you are looking for a more natural/attachment parenting focus.  I really liked the book and it did help a lot with my son.  I just wish I had it earlier, and with this baby will definitely start right away. 

#18 of 40 Old 08-16-2011, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the advice AP, I haven't read it yet, but was told that he advocated for whatever level of co-sleeping or separate rooms altogether the parents were at, so I assumed it would be a bit more organic than straight up CIO. Have you had a chance to read it? Also totally agree that CIO/self-soothing etc is not appropriate within the first few months developmentally. I'm projecting for into the future when we do want baby to have her own room. 

#19 of 40 Old 08-16-2011, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I believe that sleeping through the night is a myth! *I* usually wake up at some point for a drink or a pee or to adjust the blankets. My DD is 7 years old and still needs a hug at some point during the night about half the time... the difference between her and a baby being, she can come to my bed, get her hug, and go tuck herself back in if I don't want to get up! I'm drifting off again within 5 minutes. I found that I felt back to normal when I could sleep for a 4 hour stretch once during the night, and I counted that as sleeping through for my babies. DS is 9, and he doesn't need me in the night anymore, except he sleep walks! One night, he went into his sister's room, and DH followed him in and woke him just as he was dropping trow to pee in her lego box!!

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#20 of 40 Old 08-16-2011, 06:53 PM

My youngest is about to turn two, and he tends to wake a couple times a night still. He's slowly making the shift though to sleeping in longer blocks, and lately- it's my getting up to pee that's waking him. 

He doesn't wake all the way anymore though- he stirs and resettles quickly.

My three year old is down for the count once he falls asleep.  

My daughter made that shift somewhere between two and three as well. 

Now, DH works nights most of the time, so once the baby is here, I will have him handling say 3-4 am on until I get up for the day.  I think that will make a big difference- just knowing that I *will* get a block of sleep. 

#21 of 40 Old 08-16-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarena View Post

I have a queen, king and twin covering my room from wall to wall. 8yo, 2yo, 1yo, hubs and me. We are just scooting everyone over a bit to make a safe zone for the newb between myself and hubby. None of mine have ever slept in a crib, though I did I as I thought I should and had one for my first.

This sounds lovely, and it's probably what we'll end up with. We've got two full size mattresses, stacked on top of one another now, but eventually we'll spread them out and have lots more room.

Any problems with getting all the little ones to sleep with this set up and differing bed times? Any special difficulties caused by everyone being in one room, something I should look out for?

Maker-mama, joyously loving my boy, Winter Rhys, born 12/2011, and our twins, Wren and Forest, born 4/2014.
#22 of 40 Old 08-16-2011, 08:47 PM

We'll co-sleep and I'm debating selling the crib I have for this babe because it is taking up so much room.  I have a double bed in the baby's room that will get used the most.  I honestly don't understand how mom's get up to feed throughout the night when you can just turn and stick it in your baby's mouth right next to you.  :)  I am such a lazy nighttime parenter.  

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#23 of 40 Old 08-16-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azadehhast View Post

This sounds lovely, and it's probably what we'll end up with. We've got two full size mattresses, stacked on top of one another now, but eventually we'll spread them out and have lots more room.

Any problems with getting all the little ones to sleep with this set up and differing bed times? Any special difficulties caused by everyone being in one room, something I should look out for?

This is largely how things go in our house right now, though my nine year old sleeps  on  twin on one side of the room while the 3 yr old, 2yr old and I share the king. 

Bedtime has largely been pushed back too late for the little guys lately because they got off their schedule when the days got long, so we have all been going to bed at about the same time. (Bad Mommy!  Bad!) We curl up, and I read a couple chapters in a book  then we all go to sleep. 

I can't manage separate bedtimes with this setup lately though they HAD been on a great schedule until about June with one sleeping in the bedroom at about seven and the youngest in the PnP in the kitchen at about the same time.  Both little guys have also taken to sleeping ON me and really squished against me which, while cute with a tiny baby, is LESS cute when they are big and the kicks are painful. 

I would LOVE this setup if my kids actually slept without me having to be in the room physically attached to them.  I actually find that I've enjoyed DD having snuck in and staying there most nights though she's been in her own room for years. 

The only real downside to this (for me) is that I feel like I have absolutely no downtime to myself and no kid free space.  It's kind of making me crazy.  I want to be able to get up before the kids in the morning to get things started, but they are up as soon as I move.  I like the arrangement for sleeping space and having them nearby, but it takes a toll on me as a person.

#24 of 40 Old 08-17-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendizbaby View Post

We'll co-sleep and I'm debating selling the crib I have for this babe because it is taking up so much room.  I have a double bed in the baby's room that will get used the most.  I honestly don't understand how mom's get up to feed throughout the night when you can just turn and stick it in your baby's mouth right next to you.  :)  I am such a lazy nighttime parenter.  

Me too. I hate waking up and getting out of bed in the middle of the night! My older 2 still wake up in the middle of the night at times and I really, really don't like it! It is so much easier when you can just put the boob in its mouth and go back to sleep!

My older 2 co-slept, and started sleeping in their own beds around 18 months. They both will, still, wake up in the middle of the night on occasion, and sometimes they will come into my room, but its pretty rare for the most part any more.

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#25 of 40 Old 08-17-2011, 01:09 PM

Funny thing....I kicked my 5 yr old out of our bed a few months ago because I was afraid he would kick me in the stomach. However, my husband went with him (he LOVES cuddling with our son), so now I've had a king-sized bed all to myself!! :) I'm enjoying it while I can.....

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#26 of 40 Old 08-18-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azadehhast View Post

The two toddlers go to sleep about the same time and the 8yo knows to be extra quiet coming in

#27 of 40 Old 08-18-2011, 04:56 PM

My question for those who co-sleep for years and stuff...umm, like, when do you have any time with your husband??

in love with and married to my best friend ♥ snuggling my baby girl Ari Grace, 12-4-11

#28 of 40 Old 08-18-2011, 05:27 PM

Obviously this is my first so I don't have first hand experience, but the answer that more experienced parents (of several kiddos winky.gif ) have given me is that they are creative with finding space to spend time together. If the kid(s) are in the bed, then perhaps they have their together time on the couch, in the shower, in the kitchen... ummmm... blush.gif etc.

Quote:

My question for those who co-sleep for years and stuff...umm, like, when do you have any time with your husband??

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#29 of 40 Old 08-18-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarena View Post

The two toddlers go to sleep about the same time and the 8yo knows to be extra quiet coming in

I HAVE to know how you manage to get them to sleep.  Mine are in a sleep-free phase and it's driving me nuts.  I curled up last night reading to them and they were absolutely frantic.

#30 of 40 Old 08-18-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:

Um, I guess you don't relegate yourself to the bedroom. At least we didn't.  However, this is LESS DOABLE when there is a much older child in the home.  

This is also why we plan to have a designated guest bedroom... shy.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page