Flu Shots!? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 09-02-2011, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

#32 of 39 Old 09-02-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshinesInAZ View Post

Wasn't the flu shot with the H1N1 banned from Australia??

So, to clarify, the seasonal flu shot always contains a seasonal H1N1 strain, an H3N2 strain, and a B-type.  Swine flu is also an H1N1 strain.  In 2009, that strain was provided as a separate shot.  Last year they just stuck it in the seasonal shot (in the US, I don't know anything about Australia).  Does that make sense?

The flu shot they suspended in Australia is the seasonal shot made by Fluvax and they've only suspended it for children under 5, while strongly urging children 6-10 to get a shot from an alternative company.  Adults can get the vaccine from any of the 3 companies that are making the vax.  The Fluvax suspension will continue into 2011, but the Australian gov't. is still recommending the seasonal shot for all age groups - just from a different source.  They suspended the Fluvax version because a surprising number of children developed fevers and fever-induced convulsions after getting the shot.  The expected incidence rate is 0.1%.  Children given Fluvax had an incidence rate of 1%.

The pattern of the reactions is kind of interesting and I could totally geek out talking about it.  But I'll refrain.  :)   I feel like I'm coming off as a vaccine-apologist in this thread.  I'm not trying to talk anybody into getting a flu shot.  I'm just ridiculously interested in public health and diseases.  

EuroMama likes this.
#33 of 39 Old 09-02-2011, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

The year they gave the separate H1N1 shot... that was the only time I was really scared by a vaccination. It's all anecdotal stuff, like the woman who came into the clinic with her face swollen shut while DH was waiting for an appointment. I came very close to pulling the kids out of school, not because of the virus, but because the teachers were talking about it so much that they were stressing out about it. DD was washing her hands at least a dozen times, just between noon and 7:30! DS wasn't as diligent about that, but he had bad dreams about us getting sick and dying. 

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#34 of 39 Old 09-02-2011, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

I remember that year! They were scaring the kids at school, hand sanitizers everywhere etc etc etc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummoth View Post

The year they gave the separate H1N1 shot... that was the only time I was really scared by a vaccination. It's all anecdotal stuff, like the woman who came into the clinic with her face swollen shut while DH was waiting for an appointment. I came very close to pulling the kids out of school, not because of the virus, but because the teachers were talking about it so much that they were stressing out about it. DD was washing her hands at least a dozen times, just between noon and 7:30! DS wasn't as diligent about that, but he had bad dreams about us getting sick and dying. 

Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

#35 of 39 Old 09-03-2011, 07:36 AM

http://organichealthadviser.com/archives/polysorbate-80-in-swine-flu-vaccines-infertility-in-humans

This is about H1N1 SPECIFICALLY and a certain brand. Take it how you want to. Some will trust the source, some will not.

Bokonon likes this.
#36 of 39 Old 09-08-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote: CWILL

Also, only the nasal spray uses a (attenuated) live virus (but no thimerosal).  The shot uses a killed virus (and may or may not have thimerosal - if you request a single-shot, you can avoid it).  I'm not sure if they offer one or the other in particular for pregnant women...

Pregnant women are only supposed to receive the killed virus because it is not possible for it to cause infection, in many places (in NYC) OB/Midwifery offices primarily provide thimerosal free shots in my experience. Anyone who is immunocompromised (pregnant ladies included) are not supposed to receive the nasal spray (attenuated) virus because there is a slight risk of it causing you to come down with the virus. 

I've gotten it the past few years, because it was for the most part required for work. I live in a large city, take public transportation etc...so tend to believe I'm more likely come in contact with it, and quite frankly I don't want the flu. Particularly H1N1 was hard hitting on pregnant women. I witnessed otherwise healthy, young pregnant women go into respiratory failure and be put in intensive care units at my hospital as a result of it. The last I knew, they did not know what it was affecting pregnant women differently then flu viruses from other years. All that being said, I'm not sure that is the one still going around. 

#37 of 39 Old 09-15-2011, 07:06 PM

I will not be having a flu shot, but not because I am particularly anti-vaccine.  I never had one until this January, when I was pregnant (miscarried at 10 weeks; completely unrelated to flu shot as it was 5 weeks later). I had a slight reaction to the shot (hives and itching), and so my doctor thinks it would be better not to have one when this flu season rolls around, in case I have a more severe reaction.  I don't know what it is that is in the shot that made me react.  Everyone keeps asking if I'm allergic to eggs, which I am not.

#38 of 39 Old 09-16-2011, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I am tempted to get them this year.  Big kids are in school for the first time ever, ds is in daycare, dh is traveling extensively over the next few months (lots of recirculated airplane air), and I am an older mom.  

We all got the flu last year while traveling internationally and it was awful -- the kids were sick for weeks, my dd lost so much weight she was skeletal, my dh and I laid in bed day after day shaking with fever and chills -- just an awful, lost month of illness for us.  And we are normally robust, healthy people.  All it took was one virus and it knocked us out.  

So, I think for our family, I am leaning towards getting them.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#39 of 39 Old 09-17-2011, 05:36 AM

I got my flu shot this week.  I'll request my family who will be around my newborn get both the flu vaccine and Tdap.  I work in healthcare so I get exposed to everything...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page