Fundal Height - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 09-13-2011, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone else measuring wonky for FH?  I'm at 43 this week (I've been over all along) but... 43!!  That's just silly for so early on.  No wonder I have no appetite- there's no room for digestion!

#2 of 19 Old 09-13-2011, 11:22 AM

43!?!  Does the tape even go that high?  Maybe you'll start growing out now!  Your abs are too strong.  :)

I was sure I was going to measure over.  I can't fit any food in my stomach and my ribs are so sore all the time.  But I was exactly right at my prenatal appointment on Friday.  I have a fairly long torso so I don't really understand why everything feels so cramped or why my ribs feel like they need to be involved.  I should have plenty of room.

#3 of 19 Old 09-13-2011, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

I do finally have a little 'outward' growth- just not much yet.  I'm only 5'1" so you'd think it would be harder to accommodate by now. :D  Apparently though- after a few times through, there is no muscle tone left- everything sank down into my pelvis.  I was unaware that one could have pregnant hips before this.

My measurements will be high because of the size of the uterus itself, but I didn't see them getting insanely high just yet. 

#4 of 19 Old 09-13-2011, 11:44 AM

At my last appt I was measuring one week ahead. I've got an appt on Thursday, so we'll see how it goes. I haven't paid enough attention to trust my own measurements are starting/ending at the right places to measure myself. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#5 of 19 Old 09-13-2011, 01:44 PM

I'm also 5'1" and measuring about 3 weeks ahead.  DS was big and this baby has been measuring big on ultrasound.  Plus I have no abdominal strength whatsoever.  But not 43...are you getting pretty uncomfortable?  I'm having a ton of rib pain on my right side which I never had with DS.

#6 of 19 Old 09-13-2011, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

I'm getting mildly uncomfortable if I wear the wrong clothes, but for the most part I am doing well.  If I weren't losing weight as I gain uterus I would be more uncomfortable though.  

As it is though, I am still easily able to stretch and bend with relative ease (for example- sitting on the floor with my legs stretched out and grabbing the bottoms of my feet- I can easily bring my nose to my knees still.)  I'm uncomfortable breathing sometimes, but unless one of the kids is climbing on me, it isn't TOO terrible yet. 

I do worry a bit (as does my OB) that I will run out of 'stretch' in the uterus though and will be at real risk of premature delivery, but I can't control that- so I just have to hope for the best.

#7 of 19 Old 09-13-2011, 01:54 PM

You are tough insidevoice.  I need to be more like that.  Everyone who sees me comments I look like I'm ready to pop and quite frankly I feel like I am too.  Some other DDC had a mama pole dancing right around her due date.  And I am complaining that shaving my legs in a major chore.  I can't wait to get back to my normal happy self. 

Did you have a PT birth before?  I can't remember.

#8 of 19 Old 09-13-2011, 02:06 PM

I'll get measured again tomorrow at my appointment, but I feel like I'm measuring ahead too. I think the top of my uterus is half way between my belly button and the bottom of my breastbone right now. The baby's size measured right on (to the day even) at our 20 week-ish ultrasound, so the current theory is that the baby is growing up into my torso rather than out. I'm not "showing" much at all yet.

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#9 of 19 Old 09-13-2011, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

I had a PPROM in a previous pregnancy, but we managed not to deliver him until I was term.  This time though, I have much more advanced and involved scarring throughout the uterus, and I can already feel the shift closer to what usually happens at about 38/40 weeks in terms of cervical change and the pinching sensations as the baby moves down. 

I am still planning/expecting to go term, but I have a much greater awareness that things don't always go as planned. Luckily, I don't (or haven't previously) ever developed an effective labor pattern without intervention/induction- so that may work to my advantage this time. 

#10 of 19 Old 09-13-2011, 08:23 PM

I'm measuring 4 weeks ahead but just had my late u/s and she's measuring EXACTLY the same date as the early u/s... 4th baby, guess my uterus is stretchy!

#11 of 19 Old 09-14-2011, 09:23 AM

I think I must have a super short torso, because by landmark measurement, I've used up all my space! By the tape measure, I'm numerically right on track. 28wks and have already been "told" I'm having twins by a stranger. 

#12 of 19 Old 09-14-2011, 09:38 AM

So where can I find a chart or something that tells what the measurements should be each week?

We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#13 of 19 Old 09-14-2011, 10:34 AM

I think it starts at about 14 weeks or something, but generally I believe your measurement from pubic bone to fundus is supposed to match the number of weeks you are- ie at my 25 week appt I was measuring 26 weeks (or cms).  I'm just never confident that I've definitively found the right landmarks. I think my fundus is still only about 2in above my belly button... and I've got about 4in before it hits my breastbone. I think I have a long torso. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#14 of 19 Old 09-14-2011, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Generally at about 20 weeks it will be about where your belly button is. That is also when it will start being used as a measurement.  It is "supposed to" roughly equate to the # of weeks going forward, though a few cm here and there aren't really a big deal. 

#15 of 19 Old 09-14-2011, 03:18 PM

Thanks!

The measurement today was 29, and I'm 25 weeks. My midwife said she thought perhaps the (newly discovered at my ultrasound) fibroids are what caused the measuring ahead.

#16 of 19 Old 09-14-2011, 09:11 PM

My fundus has been measuring about 4 weeks ahead.  I am 5'0 and this is my fifth pregnancy.  Doc thought twins or earlier date, ultrasound said 1 good sized baby with the due date I had thought.  I guess the uterus just stretches faster with the more pregnancies.  That and being short and not the tightest muscles anymore.  : )

#17 of 19 Old 09-15-2011, 11:12 AM

Also if you haven't emptied your bladder first, or had a bm in a few days it can make the uterus sit higher up by a good couple of inches.

#18 of 19 Old 09-20-2011, 05:57 AM

I don't even let them measure... I'm fat to begin with, my belly button headed south a long time ago, and there's no way they're going to get an "accurate" measurement when this little guy flops from transverse to head down to breech all in the same day. 

Then again, they could drive a mack truck through my pelvis and have room to spare, so as long as there's not another craniosynostosis, I can't bring myself to even worry about "big baby". 

Jenrose, Mama to DD1, born 1993, DD2, born 2005, and DS1, Jan. 2012. Babywearing, cosleeping, homebirthing mom with fibromyalgia and hashimotos.  DD2 has a rare chromosome disorder. 

#19 of 19 Old 09-20-2011, 07:49 AM

I measured right on track!!

Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page