Childbirth classes - how necessary are they? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 09-15-2011, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My sister took a natural childbirth class with her first, and found it useful.  I would also like a natural birth, if possible, but I live 1 1/2 hrs from where the weekly class will be (not enough demand at the hospital I am giving birth at to have their own) and on top of that, it's on a night that doesn't really work well with my schedule.

When I brought up the whole idea of a childbirth class to my DH, he didn't like the idea, because of the inconvenience and gas money, but mostly the inconvenience.  If it was a one-day thing, I might be able to get him to go.  But we have two kids (adopted - this will be my first birth experience) and so the whole driving late at night on a school night thing  means that I will be going to classes alone if I go, because DH would need to watch the kids.  And I don't know that I feel like it, honestly - I'll be tired, I'll hurt because my ribs hurt when I ride in the car, etc.

I definitely planned to read books in addition to going to the childbirth class, anyway.  Reading is how I deal with/prepare for things.  My question is, do you think reading would be an adequate substitute for the class discussions and such?  What else can I do to prepare?

#2 of 19 Old 09-15-2011, 09:43 AM

The thing I found most helpful at prenatal classes was getting a whole bunch of ideas for coping with the contractions, and learning the stages of labour. I was able to tell myself it was early because I haven't felt X or Y yet, until I was left with "This has GOT to be transition!" and it was. 

There are private prenatal classes available here, the person comes to your home. Maybe there's something in your area, sometimes doulas offer them.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#3 of 19 Old 09-15-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflyblue View Post

My question is, do you think reading would be an adequate substitute for the class discussions and such?  What else can I do to prepare?

Yes.  We signed up for a class, stayed for an hour and were both so bored, we left and never went back.  DH and I are both not into classroom learning.  I rented some videos from the library, and read books and felt very prepared.  I called DH in to watch the important parts of the DVDs.

#4 of 19 Old 09-15-2011, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummoth View Post

The thing I found most helpful at prenatal classes was getting a whole bunch of ideas for coping with the contractions, and learning the stages of labour. I was able to tell myself it was early because I haven't felt X or Y yet, until I was left with "This has GOT to be transition!" and it was. 

There are private prenatal classes available here, the person comes to your home. Maybe there's something in your area, sometimes doulas offer them.

The coping stuff is why I wanted to go - my sister said that was what she found most useful, besides just knowing what to expect.  I'm hoping I can find good books with the same info?  I'm going to the library tomorrow, so we will see what they have.

Seeing as the nearest doula is also in the city where the childbirth classes are going to be, I'm guessing that's a no-go.  I did talk to her once about being my doula, but she is not taking any clients in Dec. 

#5 of 19 Old 09-15-2011, 12:32 PM

My midwife (finally found one that will most likely work!) said she doesn't really recommend childbirth classes, and all of my other mother-friends said the same thing. They all said as long as you keep yourself informed, read everything you get your hands on, you'll be fine.

My midwife also recommended hypno-tapes during labor, which I still want to look into. Evidently they are soothing tapes of affirmation and relaxation that really help things.

in love with and married to my best friend ♥ snuggling my baby girl Ari Grace, 12-4-11

#6 of 19 Old 09-15-2011, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

AveryLamb - did she recommend any particular hypno-tapes?  I was looking at some MP3's on Amazon, but there aren't a lot, and they seem to get pretty mixed reviews.  I would love to find something to play on my MP3 player that might help.

#7 of 19 Old 09-15-2011, 07:48 PM

Hmm, she didn't. Next time I talk to her I'll try to remember to ask!

in love with and married to my best friend ♥ snuggling my baby girl Ari Grace, 12-4-11

#8 of 19 Old 09-16-2011, 11:57 AM

I took one with my first, and it really didn't help. I took hypnobirthing with #2, and that was awesome. This time I am just listening to the hypnobirthing CDs in my sleep.

I think you will be fine if you read, watch some videos, and I very much recommend the hypnobirthing CDs.  Women have been having babies without taking a class for it, forever.

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#9 of 19 Old 09-16-2011, 12:34 PM

Where did you find your hypnobirthing CD's? Who were they by and stuff?

#10 of 19 Old 09-16-2011, 01:35 PM

I recommend hypnoBABIES. Those that have done both are pretty unanimous that babies is better than birthing.

#11 of 19 Old 09-16-2011, 02:00 PM

OK, thanks!

#12 of 19 Old 09-16-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarena View Post

I recommend hypnoBABIES. Those that have done both are pretty unanimous that babies is better than birthing.

I've not done both, just hypnobirthing. What is the difference? Is it worth it to make the switch? hypnoBIRTH was amazing for me.

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#13 of 19 Old 09-16-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLamb View Post

Where did you find your hypnobirthing CD's? Who were they by and stuff?

The CDs come with the book, and you can get it on amazon, or wherever :)

#14 of 19 Old 09-17-2011, 05:45 AM

My birth class was amazing last time, but  it was taught by Penny Simkin and she is amazing.  Best thing about it was my partner and I being on the same page and having a plan for how we could support me through labor.  We had an intense all day labor at home and I don't think it would have been nearly as successful if we hadn't spent the time preparing for it.  That being said, without a great instructor around, I can see how reading the same info as your labor support person and working through it together to discuss techniques that might work for you could be a good substitute.  I recommend "The Birth Partner" by Penny Simkin.

#15 of 19 Old 09-17-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephck View Post

My birth class was amazing last time, but  it was taught by Penny Simkin and she is amazing.  Best thing about it was my partner and I being on the same page and having a plan for how we could support me through labor.  We had an intense all day labor at home and I don't think it would have been nearly as successful if we hadn't spent the time preparing for it.  That being said, without a great instructor around, I can see how reading the same info as your labor support person and working through it together to discuss techniques that might work for you could be a good substitute.  I recommend "The Birth Partner" by Penny Simkin.

Well, if Penny Simkin was teaching the class, I'd go no matter what, lol! That's pretty awesome!

#16 of 19 Old 09-17-2011, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Ha ha, yeah, if I had a class led by Penny Simkin, maybe it would be worth all the trouble to go. :)

#17 of 19 Old 09-19-2011, 01:19 PM

About the hypnobirth vs babies. From my understanding, birthing is more reliant on your partner than babies is. Babies has cues that your partner can use to help you, but it is more internal. I haven't read or studied birthing though - that is only what I've been told by those that took both.

I got mine off craigslist for $50, it's 150 new off the website.

It's not much work  - 30-60 minutes a day of sitting in a comfy chair and listening to the track  or as you go to sleep at night if you can't find time anywhere else. and then they want you to listen to the affirmations daily (as you go to sleep if you were able to do your practice earlier) - I did it for a week and stopped. They were truly all things that I already believe in my core and the line "I prepare for my birth every day" was making my ocd self worse hehe. But I can see immense value in the affirmations for many many women!

It's 5 weeks and then you go into "maintenance" until your birth. So they prefer you to start before 32weeks.

There is a few pages to read a week and a partner book for them to understand what the process is and what their role is.

#18 of 19 Old 09-19-2011, 01:49 PM

Alright, so I'm confused...I guess I didn't know they were two separate things! Which is better, or it just preference?

#19 of 19 Old 09-19-2011, 02:06 PM

Avery- I've never done babies, but from what Czarena describes, it sounds a lot like birthing.  Every night, I listen to a verbal guidance into relaxation and what can be considered deep meditation (I always fall asleep at this point).  In addition to that, I have about a 15-20 minute guidance into affirmations.  That's my homework for the next few months until I give birth.  :)

During the class, my husband learned from my feedback what he can do to help me find my level of relaxation.  Massage and putting his hand on my shoulder help me to assess how tense I actually am.  I also was able to tell him what felt good and didn't in the massage department. 

I am having a hospital birth, so the actual going to class was great because the lady teaching us gave us tons of tips for birthing in the hospital and educated us on what is going on with our bodies.  She told us things like how to adjust the bed so that you can comfortably squat, which nurses are great for hypnobirthing so that you can request them, etc. etc. 

Hope that helps!

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page