Cramps & contractions at 29 weeks... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-26-2011, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know that I'll have more answers in a few hours, but I'm freaking out just a wee bit right now...

I've been having lots of Braxton-Hicks contractions for the last couple of days, more than usual, and starting last night some period-like cramping under my belly button and around the sides. I know the signs of pre-term labor, checked them again just to make sure, then drank some water and laid down for twelve hours hoping that they would stop...

But this morning the cramps were still there, nothing too intense, but definitely noticeable and more persistent, joined by the kind of backache I haven't felt since the last time I had my period. The contractions happen every time I get up out of bed or move around. My midwife told me to take a warm bath and stay in bed for the rest of the day, and I'm going to see her at 2:30 to see if the cramping has caused any cervical changes.

My cousin delivered right around this time in her pregnancy (I'm 29 weeks today), and I can't help but think of all that she went through with her little one in the NICU for months and how small he was when I went to visit him at the hospital. He's now a rambunctious and healthy four-year-old, but I can't stop thinking about those first few months for them...

And then conversely, I think that I'm totally overreacting and with all the pain I've been in throughout pregnancy, this is probably nothing. But it doesn't FEEL like nothing. I guess I just can't tell the difference between woman's intuition and irrational anxiety...::sigh::

#2 of 10 Old 09-26-2011, 09:24 AM

I don't think you have irrational anxiety at all.  Yesterday, I had one BIG contraction with cramping and what felt like some wetness coming out (sorry if TMI) and I freaked out a bit.  Thankfully, it went away within a few minutes and the wetness must have been my imagination.  This is the time where things COULD happen (as far as delivering), but you don't want them to quite yet, so I say anxiety away and do what you need to do to keep those contractions from getting more intense!  :) 

I hope you find out that everything is okay today...keep us updated!  

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#3 of 10 Old 09-26-2011, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I agree with wendizbaby, you don't sound irrational. And even if you were, we ALL freak-out once in awhile. It's better to be safe than sorry, and it sounds like your midwife is taking you seriously so that's really good. I hope you get good news!

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#4 of 10 Old 09-26-2011, 11:01 AM

Two weeks ago, I started contracting every 3 min @ 27 weeks. I was sent to the hospital and they confirmed yes it was "true" contractions. Oddly enough it seems to have been caused by slight amount of bacteria in my urine causing contractions. They gave me a one dose antibiotic, Stadol and Phengran to calm the uterus. After receiving the medication contractions completely stopped in about 2 hours.

The next week started again and ended up that baby was breech and was using my cervix as a trampoline. Luckily no cervix change. Dr did recommend a maternity support belt to help left the baby up off my cervix. It has been a life saver. Not very comfortable while sitting ( i usually take it off) but when shopping or house work I can tell a huge difference.

Hopefully what is going on with you is just as simple. I empathize how terrifying it is. When they confirmed it was contractions I just knew my little man was coming way to soon. Thank God he still tucked away in his safe spot.

~Summer~ Married DH Chris Mom to DS  Brendan (12/91)  Jenna DD (6/97) and Ava DD(10/08)  and adding #4 12/2   stork-boy.gif

#5 of 10 Old 09-26-2011, 11:20 AM

I too am glad your midwife is taking your concerns seriously, and hope that everything settles down for you soon!!

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#6 of 10 Old 09-26-2011, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

All is well - had my first internal exam of the whole pregnancy! But everything was as it should be, and my midwife was super supportive and took me totally seriously. She said I did everything right, which I'm going to take as a win, since it happens pretty infrequently. :) 

She recommended that I stay off my feet for a few days, and said that if the cramping gets worse to call her. Probably just growing pains, or tired muscles, or some other strange pregnancy happening. 

Thanks for the words of support, definitely helped me feel a little less crazy. 

#7 of 10 Old 09-26-2011, 06:39 PM

thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by raezang View Post

All is well - had my first internal exam of the whole pregnancy! But everything was as it should be, and my midwife was super supportive and took me totally seriously. She said I did everything right, which I'm going to take as a win, since it happens pretty infrequently. :) 

She recommended that I stay off my feet for a few days, and said that if the cramping gets worse to call her. Probably just growing pains, or tired muscles, or some other strange pregnancy happening. 

Thanks for the words of support, definitely helped me feel a little less crazy. 

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#8 of 10 Old 09-26-2011, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Good news, I'm glad you got some peace of mind, and I hope you're feeling better soon.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#9 of 10 Old 09-27-2011, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

hug.gif

I'm glad the visit with your midwife went well, Raezang.heartbeat.gif

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#10 of 10 Old 09-27-2011, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

What a terrific update.  Such good news.    orngbiggrin.gif

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page