Mothering Forum banner

What are you getting done/ what do you have yet to do - The List Thread

4K views 57 replies 20 participants last post by  aeterna 
#1 ·
I thought we should start a list thread to keep track of what we need to get done before the babe arrives and also praise ourselves for what we've gotten done. I've got so much in my head floating around that I need to keep track of.

What I've gotten done:

- painted the baby's room (finished that today!!).

- ordered his dresser/ changing table - will arrive in 2 weeks

- cleaned out his closet and threw all the newborn clothes in the crib to be washed

What I need to do:

-buy a carseat and a stroller

-buy some long-sleaved onesies and outdoor bodysuits

-buy a warm blanket for travel

-buy new sheets for the double bed in his room

-buy a bath

-buy infant insert for ergo carrier

-buy some nursing bras

-buy some cheap pjs for when I'm birthing at the hospital

-buy a noise maker for his room

-buy new parts for breast pump

-buy washclothes for wipes

-buy Christmas presents

See less See more
#2 ·
I was thinking about posting a thread like this yesterday but was too tired...great idea!

What I have done:

-Aquired dresser (this actually went to me, mine to DS2, and his dresser/changer combo to baby)

-Bought a few clothes/blankets/diapers

-Purchased bucket carseat

-Purchased sit and stand stroller

What I have to do:

-Aquire the rest of baby's wardrobe (I *think* a co-worker is giving me most to all of this in the next week or two)

-Wash/put away clothes/diapers

-Buy carseat cover

-Buy replacement parts for breast pump and SNS

-Find covers for bassenet and swing

-Buy birth/post partum supplies and pack hospital bag

-Tour hospital

-Buy new frame for futon (need a place for DH's step dad to sleep because he may likely be coming with MIL after baby is born)

-Complete my maternity leave paperwork

-Buy a small chest freezer for my liquid gold (hoping to get a big stash, because I tend to start out with great supply, it jsut dwindles quickly once I go back to work - so this way she can get breastmilk as long as possible - 6mos exclusively is my goal and indefinately after solids/formula is introduced, longer than 6mos exclusively would be awesome!) ;-)

-Buy/make moby wrap style carrier

-Buy batteries for swing

-Buy infant wash clothes for wipes

-Buy infant tylenol/organic baby care items (we can't afford to do much organic, but, newborns get it - I just feel horribly about putting chemicals on their little bodies so soon after birth)

I think that's about it...I am sure something must be missing though lol looking forward to reading more lists that you all have for ideas...

#3 ·
I've not prepared much..

Stuff I have/done:

Toured hospital (although I still really want a homebirth)

Bought a few NB clothes (I am expecting a large donation from a friend, I just need to pick it up)

Pulled out NB prefolds and the few fitteds I had

Already had the infant seat- cleaned it and put it in an easily accessible location

Have: Breastpump, Changing table, pack n' play..

Stuff I need/need to-do:

Buy a van, 7-seater SUV or wide car

Pack a bag for hospital

Get NB/Infant covers/snappis + wipes

Pick up clothes (from above)

Put the Pack n' Play up in my bedroom

Locate a sling (I actually have several slings, but my ex-h took them when he moved out and refuses to give them back)

#4 ·
OOooh food for my OCD brain!

We've been doing pretty good. We have some major things that I've kind of resigned myself are not happening prior to baby (we wanted to have our whole basement finished... it is sooo not happening), but most of the things we need to do are done.

Completed:

-Wrote list of must haves before baby is born (see below...)

-bought crib, chose fabric for crib blanket, which MIL is making.

-bought pack and play for sleep area first few weeks

-pulled out and organized all the clothing, sorted by sizes.

-pulled out diapers, decided to stick with current stash, and supplement with sposies until the OS fit.

-confirmed usage of bucket seat and bouncer chair from friends

-went through list- we definately have all the clothing/blankets/big stuff etc we need

-bought ultrasound gel for doppler, and chux pads for laboring at home

-just ordered two more bras for use as nursing bras

-set up the p&p we bought used, and bought one piece it was missing

Need to Do:

-find fabric for crib sheet and pack and play sheet and make, and purchase mattress

-pick up the bucket seat and bouncer chair, along with getting my wrap back (its with the chair)

-wash all clothing and all diapers, put clothing back into closet

-Find system for diapers.

-sterilize pumps and bottles

-Empty out baby's room of crap...

-Buy rocker

-Get a pack of newborn sposies (waiting until closer to the date, since I'm sure someone will buy some for us, and I don't want too many)

-Maybe do a hospital tour

-Meet with doula so DH can meet her

-update birth plan, and write a JIC c-section plan

-finish paperwork for work

-Freezer stash!!

-buy diaper soap

-buy depends and put together labor box for home

-pack hospital bag

-choose name...

I think that's most of it. What's left other than that is just the 'make it look pretty' parts. We really have most of what we need. But the baby's room is a disaster right now, so nothing has been really set up or organized.

Pictures of progress!

Organizing all the hand me downs

IMGP1805.JPG

Closet organizer was set up already, and we did a test run, but need to take all the non-baby things out of the closet so I can also add in all the diapers, the blankets, the bath care type stuff, etc. But you can see the bag of yellow/blue cloths for diaper inserts, next to it is fleece for if I ever get around to sewing some more clothes (it's hard to find motivation when you have so many clothes already), toys that won't be used for a few months... The next shelf down with the two black bins are 3M onesies, and an empty one (for now), next down are preemie and 0-3M onesies, and then a bin of preemie and 0-3M pants. Hanging are all the same size sleepers/buntings, sweaters, and t-shirts. It's midleading though, because even though they're hung, some of them have tags on them still, and they all need to be washed.

IMGP1923.jpg

In the bottom (along with other misc crap...) you can see the blue and yellow bag that has the pump in it, the blue box is stuffed with diapers, under that is the pack and play... To the left of the closet with the hangers sticking out of it is the baby's laundry bin. lol.

But this is what the other side of the room looks like... The paint color will be staying the same, as well as the blinds, but I think we're probably going to have to find some black out shades as well. Basically though, the stack on the far right hand side is non-baby (it's mostly toys, as well as holiday decor), but almost all the other bins are baby clothes, sorted by size, a box of blankets, the convertible car seat, etc.

IMGP1922.jpg

Like I said... lol. We have pretty much everything, it's just a matter of being able to organize and finish preparing it!

#5 ·
Oooh...I love this - you all are reminding me of other things! I need to also buy nursing bras and sterlize pump parts, then sometime between now and when baby is a couple weeks old sterlize bottles (and buy nipple etc - I am not going to get too into this until I find out what bottle/nipple combo she can/will take...this was easy with DS1 but really a nightmare with DS2 - at least I lhave lots of options to try now and all I really need to buy is the nipples lol), also need to buy a couple pumping bras and a screen and blind to conceal me pumping at work since I have a window to a crowded area and I have a couple men (including a preist lol) and others walking through my office on a regular basis because another person has an office with no access except through mine. I am also thinking I may try a different diaper storage system as well...going to a big rummage sale in a couple weeks and will probably buy a couple things to help with that and see what works best...

#6 ·
OMG, JenineJessica, you have SO much baby clothes! Love the pics.

I like the lists, because I've kind of been looking around thinking....what else could I possibly do? We're not doing a nursery, and anyway, we're moving in April, so it would be pointless, so the to-do tasks are really about gathering things.

I have:

Made (sewn and knitted) baby's 0-6 month wardrobe, plus a few larger things. Waiting on the rest so we can know baby's gender.

Procured a wicker chest and lots of little baskets to store baby's clothes in

Made 36 diapers.

Made plenty of soakers.

Made cloth post-partum pads

Made a cushion for the moses basket

I need to:

Make a few more diapers.

Lanolinize the soakers

Make some nursing pads

Get at least 2 more nursing bras

Make 2 sets of cozy pajamas that open easily in front.

Collect birthing supplies: herbals, collect all the towels in one place, find a shower curtain,

Get 2 more birthy books

Freeze some meals (waiting until we're 1 month out, though, is it's fresh-ish)

Collect the last few things I want that we don't get as gifts

Finish gifts for my aunties who are organizing the mama blessing party (ok, and start them too)

Plan and make Christmas gifts for DH, MIL, FIL, and my parents

Yes, ok, I do still have a lot to do!

#7 ·
LOL I know! And almost all of it is hand me downs. That's what happens when you have five nieces, and everyone else is done having kids. lol.

Ooooh Christmas gifts. I need to add that on.

Have you read Heart and Hands? That's my favorite informational book. I've read it twice and plan on taking it out from the library around 38 weeks again, even though we're planning on heading to the hospital (ugh) I like the idea of having it onhand just in case.

#8 ·
ooooh....pics are great!!!

Thanks for the reminder on Christmas gifts and wash clothes for wipes....I added those to my list. This year, I'm getting pretty much everyone except the kids gift cards to their favorite stores. I don't think I'll have the energy to put in to thinking up really great/creative gifts this year. I already ordered a few things for my ds1 and I'll probably get something little for this babe. I'm sure he won't mind if he doesn't get a ton this year. :)

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendizbaby View Post

ooooh....pics are great!!!

Thanks for the reminder on Christmas gifts and wash clothes for wipes....I added those to my list. This year, I'm getting pretty much everyone except the kids gift cards to their favorite stores. I don't think I'll have the energy to put in to thinking up really great/creative gifts this year. I already ordered a few things for my ds1 and I'll probably get something little for this babe. I'm sure he won't mind if he doesn't get a ton this year. :)
I'm trying to get DH on board for just purchasing 1 big family gift (I'm thinking a Wii) and stockings (from Santa) and I am sure I will happen across a few other things...but, I don't want to make a huge deal...we never spend a lot, but, since we thrift shop sometimes it can still be a project! I suppose I will have to buy a nice gift for each of my neices and nephews because its a tradition that someone dresses like Santa and delivers their gifts on Christmas Eve...it all sounds kind of overwhelming now lol I better get started!

#10 ·
A lot of my stuff isn't super baby- related other than I need to do it before baby is here or it won't happen. I guess that's reality with #4. ;-)

To do:

Locate brocade ringsling. I must have loaned it to someone and forgot. I just have to remember who. Eek!

Get and inventory NB CDs from SIL, I should have enough, but I need to check

Clean out my top drawer and dresser for diaper changing area.

Make or buy changing pad cover, mine is, um, well used by two boys and totally clashes with our room

Make DDs AG doll bed sheets (I have fabric)

Get nursing pads, pptm pads, and a few things left on homebirth supply list

Finish Christmas shopping (Ha!) I've told everyone they are getting a baby for Christmas.

Paint kids bathroom with semi-gloss (flat paint+country living+3 kids= yuck!)

Go through 5 bins from barn that have stuff that can be stored inside/decluttered

Make 2010 Snapfish photo album (not that I've been procrastinating or anything...)

Put up the remaining pics and store the unused frames/deco stuff somewhere or get rid of it

Buy 1-2 nursing tanks. (Tried, I can't fine smalls anywhere! Grrrrr. I really don't want to order them)

To Do/Nov or later:

Set up mini Pack n Play

Get myself a haircut

Get some winter shirts (maybe pants) that will fit after baby (I know my xss won't be working for this winter and I dowsized everything I didn't love when we moved since we were "done."....sigh)

Done:

Clean out plastic drawers in the boys closet and put in my closet for baby clothes/blankets

Get DS2 a new new car seat since baby will need the Coccoro he's using (I was able to trade seats with a friend, so didn't have to buy. Yea!)

Clean double stroller (Phil and Teds)

Go through everything in the kids rooms/closets (prettty easy since we just moved in Feb)

Start freezer stash- one thing every two weeks is my goal (so far: home made split pea soup)

Buy two nursing bras for first month

#11 ·
10 weeks to go!!! I have alot to do. I've been waiting til I get closer but I guess I am now. lol

So I have already:

baby wardrobe

baby cloth diaper supply

pp nightgowns

Still need:

Van (this is our fourth child)

midwife

carseat

cradle

wool pad for bed

dresser or something that can double as a changing table

diaper pail

another pp bra and more nursing pads

homebirth supplies

Christmas presents for children

birthday presents for my daughter whose birthday is in dec.

pp supplies (moonpads and food, etc.)

sling

To do:

Finish school

find and purchase van

find birth attendant

organize house (this one will probably never be fully done, realisticially, lol)

organize baby stuff (lanolize wool)

I'm sure I can add more to this list but these are the main things. Whew a lot to do in two months. Not too worried though. Stuff is stuff. Probably midwife is most important. I have a lead and have a doc for backup but need to get secure with my attendant. Been putting it off cuz I don't want anyone too into my business, want laid back but competent midwife with no worries. Been through death, been through hospitol transfer, done it alone, done it with a midwife.... so what else is there?? BIRTH HAPPENS!!! Can't wait!

10/31

got the van last weekend!!! Woo hoo! had a small baby shower with my family. Received car seat, all the maternity and baby clothes, buntings and blankets and diapers I will need. Also got a diaper bag and nursing pads. Bought a cradle a few weeks ago. Got the diaper pail. Still need a little furniture, everything is in plastic tubs. Still need another bra in a larger size and still do not have a birth attendant~ not sure whats happening with this. I am having resistance on this end. Don't want to birth in the hospitol but have birth trauma still to work through related to my last baby being still at 36 weeks and I am at 33 weeks now. ~~ Hope to do childbirth classes next week. this is a new partner so it will be his first regular birth (we had the last baby together but was still two years ago). Guess I need to do some more journaling meditations talking and sorting out what is going on with me emotionally cuz I am held up somewhere.

Whew! And I have six weeks left of school and having a really hard time staying focused on it.

#12 ·
Yay, other people with lists! Dh is very much over hearing about mine
redface.gif

Done:

- set up crib...never used it for dd2 or dd3 but I've got that little intuitive twitch telling me this baby will be like dd1 and want his own sleeping space relatively early on

- nb/small clothes washed and put away

- diaper storage area constructed

- wraps clean and braided

- nb diapers and about half of a small stash washed and put away

- baby linens washed and put away

- knitted hats, sleep sacks and 2.5 pairs of longies

To do:

- decide on a name

- finish longies, and lanolize everything

- baby toiletries, meds, etc

- order wool wash and spray lanolin

- buy wipes and wash clothes

- exchange a few baby gifts for more seasonally appropriate stuff

- get a night light for my room

- need more nursing pads and a couple heavier-flow cloth pads for me

- keep stalking fsot boards to finish up the small diaper stash, plus 2-3 more covers

and then of course, finish holiiday prep and a couple household projects that need done befor ebaby gets here.

#13 ·
My nesting is out of control, I've started cleaning what I can, but it's hard with construction going on.

Need to do:

Finish family room (perhaps this week, if the carpet guy comes)

Move into family room

Paint and shampoo carpets in old living room

Move office into old living room

Practically gut old office/new nursery- set up nursery

Prepare birth kit, gather up birth supplies and put in bassinet

set up bassinet

Gather post partum items and place in bathroom

wash bottles/car seat/ and other baby stuff

Christmas shopping

DD1 January birthday presents

FMLA/Short term disablilty paperwork

prepare yard for winter

finish binder at work for $2/hr raise

OMG, let panic attack start

#14 ·
Oh my! You guys are amazing. I am am getting nothing done. I am too tired from being pregnant.

What I need to do:

buy nursing bras and pads

wash baby clothes

buy cloth diapers

finish Christmas shopping

pick up car seat from friend

What I would like to do:

order and set up bunk beds for the boys

paint dining room

paint hallway

clean up garden

order some kind of belly binding support for postpartum

#16 ·
It's been a good week for little bits of progress. Completed this week:

-Picked up one nursing bra, and got notice the other one is waiting at the store.

-bought diaper pail for downstairs

-bought large wetbag to hang in bedroom (will transfer once a day to pail downstairs)

-bought diaper detergent

-In the process of washing diapers

-Submitted paperwork for work-- last day November 12th!

-Looked up paperwork for mat leave payments-- can't start claim until the day I go off work.

-contacted doula- confirmed payment (none, isn't she awesome!) and in the process of setting up a 'date' for next week for her to meet DH and do mat photos.

-Wrote a preliminary c-section plan

-did some freezer stashing- 2 meatloafs, and 2 tins of 30 meatballs each, plus 2 dozen choc chip cookies, a dozen granola bars (mmm oatmeal to help with supply), and two dozen shortbread cookies.

-got quote for remote car starter- need to confirm and then book (Where we live it's not uncommon for it to get to -30 (-22f) for about two months straight in the winter.

-Started basement work! We should in theory be able to start framing tomorrow. DH thinks the framing should be done by about the end of next week. Then electrical. Then insulation has to go in, then drywall, mudding and taping. And then... *hyperventilates* we get to paint! Actually somewhere in there we need to order and install new windows too. But-- the point is-- this could actually happen before baby gets here! He's considering hiring someone to help him or do the drywall, or at least the mudding part of it, so that will speed things up. Insulation should only take a few days, same with paint. The big unknown will be the electrical I think... as well as installing the windows, which I think he's planning on doing himself.

#17 ·
What I have done:

-Aquired dresser (this actually went to me, mine to DS2, and his dresser/changer combo to baby)

-Aquire the rest of baby's wardrobe

-Wash/put away clothes

-Find/sterlize bottles/nipples/pump parts

What I have to do:

-Aquire the rest of baby's wardrobe (I *think* a co-worker is giving me most to all of this in the next week or two)

-Wash/put away clothes/diapers

-Buy carseat cover

-Tour hospital

-Buy new frame for futon (need a place for DH's step dad to sleep because he may likely be coming with MIL after baby is born)

-Buy a small chest freezer for my liquid gold (hoping to get a big stash, because I tend to start out with great supply, it jsut dwindles quickly once I go back to work - so this way she can get breastmilk as long as possible - 6mos exclusively is my goal and indefinately after solids/formula is introduced, longer than 6mos exclusively would be awesome!) ;-)

-Buy batteries for swing

-Buy infant tylenol/organic baby care items (we can't afford to do much organic, but, newborns get it - I just feel horribly about putting chemicals on their little bodies so soon after birth)

-Buy nursing bras

-Buy hands free pumping bras

-Buy screen and blind for office (to conceal pumping)

I accomplished some things! Looking forward to the rummage sale tomorrow, hopefully I can check a bunch more off by the end of the weekend!

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraBella View Post

I've not prepared much..

Stuff I have/done:

Toured hospital (although I still really want a homebirth)

Bought a few NB clothes (I am expecting a large donation from a friend, I just need to pick it up)

Pulled out NB prefolds and the few fitteds I had

Already had the infant seat- cleaned it and put it in an easily accessible location

Have: Breastpump, Changing table, pack n' play..

Stuff I need/need to-do:

Buy a van, 7-seater SUV or wide car

Pack a bag for hospital

Get NB/Infant covers/snappis + wipes

Pick up clothes (from above)

Put the Pack n' Play up in my bedroom

Locate a sling (I actually have several slings, but my ex-h took them when he moved out and refuses to give them back)
Well.. I can cross off "Buy a van" off my list :) We got a "new" van yesterday, yay!!!

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraBella View Post

Well.. I can cross off "Buy a van" off my list :) We got a "new" van yesterday, yay!!!
Awesome! What kind did you get? That's a big "to do"...nice to cross off your list!

So, I've gotten a few things done (see notes below):

What I've gotten done:

- painted the baby's room (finished that today!!).

- ordered his dresser/ changing table - will arrive in 2 weeks

- cleaned out his closet and threw all the newborn clothes in the crib to be washed

-bought swing

-bought blu ray player so that I can stream Netflix on those late nights :)

What I need to do:

-buy a car seat and a stroller

-buy some long-sleaved onesies and outdoor bodysuits

-buy a warm blanket for travel

-buy new sheets for the double bed in his room

-buy a bath

-buy infant insert for ergo carrier - I'm just going to use a blanket for this. Has anyone else done this before? I don't want to spend $25 on a piece of cloth.

-buy some nursing bras

-buy some cheap pjs for when I'm birthing at the hospital

-buy a noise maker for his room

-buy new parts for breast pump

-buy washclothes for wipes - I also bought the sensitive wipes just in case we have a huge mess :)

-buy Christmas presents - bought the big gifts...have a few more gift cards to buy for family

Adding more "to do's":

- nail clippers

-pack hospital bag

-buy seat covers for van

-buy new diaper changing pad for dresser

-buy diaper changing caddy to have downstairs

Seems like all I really need to do now is buy stuff. Normally, I would love that, but right now I don't have the energy for shopping nor the money. I usually work a little to pick up some extra money, but I'm too tired for that too. Booooo.

#20 ·
Quote:

Awesome! What kind did you get? That's a big "to do"...nice to cross off your list!
We got an 05 Chevy Uplander.. it's AWD, with DVD player and camping package :)

I'm a little nervous about not getting a toyota or honda, but we looked EVERYWHERE in our little city and could not find one in our price range at all (Well, we actually did find a Sienna in our price range but when we test drove it, it kept dying and made noises we weren't comfortable with).

#21 ·
Quote:

-buy infant insert for ergo carrier - I'm just going to use a blanket for this. Has anyone else done this before? I don't want to spend $25 on a piece of cloth.
Yep! That's exactly what I did. I swaddled the babe and then slipped him into the Ergo. It was easy and safe and saved me cash. I looked at the inserts again thinking that I might buy one this round, but I just can't justify it since I know a receiving blanket works just as well.

#22 ·
I get to cross something off my list. Made the long drive to IKEA yesterday, bought bunk beds, dh built them and we now have big boy beds! My 3 year old slept in his bunk all night (hooray!). This was big, since we need to move him out of our bed before the new baby comes.

Not sure what to focus on next. I am going to wait on buying bras till closer to due date. I am waiting on a friend to pass on her diapering hand me downs before I buy anything. It is a little soon to wash up the baby clothes and really, this one is pretty easy. I started holiday shopping. We are keeping it small, so not much to buy.

Looks like I need to finally tackle my dirty, finger smudged hallways and get painting. Nothing says nesting like a hugely pregnant woman with a paint brush.

What I need to do:

buy nursing bras and pads

wash baby clothes Done!

buy cloth diapers

finish Christmas shopping Making progress

pick up car seat from friend

What I would like to do:

order and set up bunk beds for the boys Done!

paint dining room Making progress

paint hallway

clean up garden Done!

order some kind of belly binding support for postpartum

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

Yep! That's exactly what I did. I swaddled the babe and then slipped him into the Ergo. It was easy and safe and saved me cash. I looked at the inserts again thinking that I might buy one this round, but I just can't justify it since I know a receiving blanket works just as well.
Good...I'm glad you got back to me on this because I was considering buying it again. Or maybe even buying a moby wrap. I had one with my first and I hated how long it took me to get it on. :) The Ergo was just so much easier, but he was about 1 when we bought it.

#24 ·
We are all accomplishing things!!! Yay!!! Ergo mamas....how do you feel secure that baby won't fall out? I tried just using a blanket for DS2 in the Ergo and did not feel safe...

What I have done:

-Aquire the rest of baby's wardrobe

-Wash/put away clothes

-Buy new frame for futon (need a place for DH's step dad to sleep because he may likely be coming with MIL after baby is born) - also a matching chair and matress, and we kept our old futon - YAY!!!

-Buy infant wash clothes for wipes - may need a few more, I'm not really sure lol

-Bought one nursing bra

- Bought a pack n play - was not on our list, but, was the right price!

-Bought sheets for pnp bassenet and crib

-picked up crib from SIL

-bought crib mattress

-Aquired another sling...didnt need it but it came with the clothes we were given hehe...I know it will come in handy plus it is pink hehe

What I have to do:

-Wash/put away clothes/diapers - Just need to put away diapers...all is clean now..

-Buy carseat cover

-Tour hospital

-Buy batteries for swing

-Buy nursing bras - bought one

-Buy hands free pumping bras

-Buy screen and blind for office (to conceal pumping)

Adding:

-Aquire crib/nursery set including mobile

-Aquire Christmas dress for baby

#26 ·
Need to do:

Finish family room (perhaps this week, if the carpet guy comes) done today

Move into family room tomorrow we are moving in!!

Paint and shampoo carpets in old living room

Move office into old living room

Practically gut old office/new nursery- set up nursery

Prepare birth kit, gather up birth supplies and put in bassinet

set up bassinet Gather post partum items and place in bathroom

wash bottles/car seat/ and other baby stuff

Christmas shopping- started!

DD1 January birthday presents

FMLA/Short term disablilty paperwork -given to Dr.

prepare yard for winter

finish binder at work for $2/hr raise (may wait until next year, it's optional and I'm not feeling it)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.