Frustrated!!! - have Thalassemia beta minor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-03-2011, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so frustrated right now, I just need to vent.

I was seeing an ob-gyn until 18 weeks...she turned out to be rude and condescending. So I found a midwife a couple weeks ago whom I liked, but she didn't take payment plans, the insurance only half covered her, and we'd have to come up with $1500 in 11 weeks...NOT happening. So we found another midwife whom I like even better, and tho the insurance doesn't cover her at all, she takes payment plans. Told her everything up-front. First appointment is supposed to be tonight...but now she says she wants to wait and do more research to see if I can have a homebirth while having Thal beta minor. So I googled it and apparently Thal beta minor patients can have homebirths (found a thread here on Mothering.com even), just that there *may* be a higher risk for hemorrhaging (which apparently was remedied by a shot of pitocin).

I'm just so frustrated because right now it seems NOTHING is working out for me. I also wanted a birthing center birth, and there's no birthing centers in OK.

I'm probably overreacting because I'll give her copies of my labs and she can research it for herself and it will probably be fine as long as we all are educated on the risks...I'm just so frustrated right now!! (plus running on 5 hrs of sleep, not a good idea for someone who is anemic.)

in love with and married to my best friend ♥ snuggling my baby girl Ari Grace, 12-4-11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 10-03-2011, 07:39 AM

So sorry for all the road blocks you keep running into!! Very frustrating! I hope everything works out ok with the new midwife, and you get to birth at home.

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#3 of 12 Old 10-03-2011, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

hug2.gif  I hope things can start to go more smoothly for you soon! 

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#4 of 12 Old 10-03-2011, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks y'all smile.gif I went to the OB I originally had to get copies of my chart...evidently I have so many pages that it cost $12 to copy it, and I don't even get it right away! So the midwife won't be able to look at it until sometime later this week.

Fortunately everything seems to be going fine in my pregnancy so far...haven't officially been "seen" or anything since July 28. Baby's moving fine tho, and at the consultation with this midwife she listened to her heartbeat which sounded great. So far, nothing to worry about besides the birth.

in love with and married to my best friend ♥ snuggling my baby girl Ari Grace, 12-4-11

#5 of 12 Old 10-06-2011, 08:00 AM

Just hopping in to say my sister also has Thalassemia Minor and has had two very healthy boys. She had two c-sections for unrelated reasons but I know her bleeding was not out of hand after the births.

She did get pretty anemic toward the end of her pregnancies - her Ob wanted her to take extra iron but it made her feel terrible...I would recommend Floradix for supplementation as it's much more easily absorbed. 

#6 of 12 Old 10-06-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Alright, thanks for the suggestion! Did the iron pills even make a difference on her iron levels?

#7 of 12 Old 10-06-2011, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Is Floradix an iron supplement, or what?

#8 of 12 Old 10-06-2011, 02:59 PM

Sorry to jump in here, but I've had some experience with Floradix:)

Floradix is a liquid iron supplement, and I think it works great.  I had low iron during my first pregnancy, and was feeling tired a lot this time around (my third).  So I decided to take Floradix proactively, and my iron has stayed in the normal range, although at the bottom.  I think without it, I would definitely have low iron.  It's supposed to absorb better into your system b/c it's liquid, and I've been told to take it with a glass of juice too, b/c calcium helps with absorption too.

Nettle tea is great for iron too:)

#9 of 12 Old 10-06-2011, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

I want to know if taking iron supplements actually helps Thal beta minor. From what I understand, people with Thal beta minor may or may not show symptoms of Thalassemia...but I do. I've read a lot of places NOT to take iron supplements because the iron just builds up in your organs.

#10 of 12 Old 10-07-2011, 10:36 AM

I guess it's relative to your particular case of Thalassemia minor. From what I know of my Ssiter's case, she throws off iron and has trouble absorbing it. She sees a hematologist and they give her these mega horse pills of iron. She had better luck absorbing the floradix, which is a whole food based liquid iron supplement. Her hemaglobin levels did get better on it in her later pregnancy, though I think they were always around 10-11 which is still low-ish.

#11 of 12 Old 10-07-2011, 10:39 AM

...and of course, you should check in with your doc about your particular case. Do you see a hematologist? It would be helpful to get an opinion from a health practitioner outside of the allopathic tradition too, I would think -  can't hurt to look at it from different angles. Good luck!

#12 of 12 Old 10-07-2011, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

The problem is we're dealing with a REALLY tight budget right now >< I really need a chiropracter as it is, but we can't afford one. (We were NOT planning to have kids for another few years...it was an accident!! lol)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page