Choosing people to come to the birth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 10-04-2011, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not entirely clear on the hospital rules yet, but, since DS2 was born a new hospital was built in my area (in replacement of the one I gave birth in, I have the same midwives but the hospital management is different) and it seems they are way more strict on all levels...including who and how many can attend a birth....with my first 2 anyone came in and out as they pleased (with my permission of course) but I didn't have it fully planned ahead of time and I think at one point I had at least 5 people in the room.

I have really long labors so I want lots of people to have the option of being in the room...the thing is, I think there is a max of 5 at a time and I also need someone to do childcare at my home...and it kind of seems unfair for one person to be singled out to miss the birth - but I have heard at least that I have to have the names of my birth attendents written in advance...

Here is my list of prospective attendents...

1) DH (obvious reasons haha)

2) Mom (already invited her, and she has a background as a doula/birth assistant - plus she is my mom haha)

3) Dad (he is absolutely amazing with his calming voice during labor - I think I *need* him from transition on lol...really, I can't think of anyone else that would help me more during that dificult part of birth!)

Then the ones I can't decide between...

4) 25yo sister (she came to my first 2 births and I am sure is expecting to come to this one...also I think she pretty well knows how to support me now)

5) 18yo sister (she takes great pics...I believe she was at DS1's birth and then out of town for DS2's birth)

6) 16yo sister (I don't have a particular reason to or not to choose her - but I feel kinda bad if I don't)

7) Brother's 21yo girlfriend (haha kinda weird, I know, but, she is a good friend and is really down to earth and "just do it" (the kind of person I need), and I think she might actually by a good person to have there...I don't think I would choose her over a sister though if it came to that)

8) My best friend (probably she will not even be in town, but, if baby is born late she might be...and she is like a sister to me and I think she would be devistated if I didn't invite her and she was in town - plus she can get me to do anything lol)

So yeah....big long list....the only ones confirmed to come are DH and Mom, but, Dad is a MUST...I just don't know how to pick from the rest if I have to!! I guess I am probably one of the very few that is struggling with how to limit when I want everyone...I tend to hear of people not wanting many people...I just loved having tons of people around during my other births (to be honest I am very much to myself during birth, but, it always seems like the right person steps in at the right time...plus the more people who are there to help my change positions etc was helpful because I get SOOOOO tired (intense labor for over 18 hours each time, after a couple days of regular contractions that I could not sleep through at home...I am expecting this one to be the same).

So how did you come up with your labor partners? If the decision was dificult, what impacted your decision?

#2 of 31 Old 10-04-2011, 07:26 PM

Less is more for me.  I really need some kind of control when I'm laboring and I feel really out of control when there are too many people around.  I can't get "in to" myself when others are in the room because I feel like I need to entertain them.  So ya....it'll just be me and my husband so that he can help me focus.  :)

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#3 of 31 Old 10-04-2011, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
dddc--crashing to say that I believe birth is not a spectator sport. I had just hubby and the CNM... and no one in the waiting room.
#4 of 31 Old 10-05-2011, 06:45 PM

Partners, kids, "doula" (she fixed my tailbone and wants to be there in case I need more body work at the time so we gave her the title doula haha), midwife.

working on a friend to come help with the toddlers if need be

all family is 2k miles away (thankfully)

I don't really care how many people it is - as long as it's no one with bad energy!

#5 of 31 Old 10-06-2011, 12:36 PM

Birth is not a group event for me so I can't imagine. I don't even announce going into labor. You'll find out about the baby when he or she arrives.

#6 of 31 Old 10-10-2011, 12:09 PM

As few as possible for me as well....

DH, midwife, 2 kids, someone to watch 2 kids (probably MIL, or step mom and dad, maybe all 3 of them) and I already invited a cousin of mine to come if she is still here for Christmas, she will be taking pictures and is interested in having homebirths herself if she ever gets pregnant. This would be the most people I've had at a birth before, and this is assuming that not all of them would be in the room....

dd1- DH, mom, midwife, and 2 nurses (hossy birth) everyone and their brother in waiting room

dd2- DH, midwife, MIL and DD1

eta- my mom was a total PITA to me when I was in labor, annoyed the heck out of me, I love her dearly and usually enjoy her company, but just couldn't handle her incessant talking to me when I was in labor. She sucked as a labor coach.

Melissa-Mama to Allyson carrot.gif 1-22-07 and Katelyn homebirth.jpg 5-14-09 and Paul 1-2-12 my 10 lb 6oz. homebirthed baby boy.

#7 of 31 Old 10-10-2011, 12:47 PM

With DD (Hospital birth) I had DH, my mom, Dr, nurses. (Family all lived out of town.)

With DS1 (Birth center) I had DH, my mom, DD (sleeping in other room, 3.5) Midwife, assistant

With DS2 (Homebirth) I had DH and the MW. DD was in the other room till right after he was born. I almost had DS there too since it went really fast and my SIL couldn't make it to pick him up, but some close friends that live 5 min away came and got him. I think I had DS2 before they even got home. LOL. He was 2 days from being 2 and I just didn't want DH to have to leave if he needed something. The assistant never made it, which was fine.

With this one: Hopefully DH, Midwife and DD, but it will depend if I want DD in there. I'm just playing it by ear. Maybe an assistant, but I'm more afraid that no one will make it in time than having too many people. My mom now lives 30 minutes away (instead of 20 hours like before) so hopefully she will make it to get the boys. If they are in the house or outside I'm okay as long as long as I don't have to worry about anything. I would be totally fine with SIL being there if it works out since we are close. I was going to have a friend come take pics, but she moved to Vegas. :-( I'm not one that wants a lot of people hanging around. Even when I'm sick unless I need something I just want to be left alone. Also, my last labor was so fast and only really painful for only 5 minutes before DS2 was born, so it's not like I needed much.

CPST, LLL and Mom to a 9yr old animal lovin' girl, 6yr old wild man,  4 yr old cuddle bug and 1 year old "little brother."

Now we are growing the family with chickens, ducks, and dairy goats.

#8 of 31 Old 10-10-2011, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Personally, I like a quiet, dark room to labor in with minimal people.  

If I had to choose more people, I would only choose those who are calm, quiet and make me feel good.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#9 of 31 Old 10-10-2011, 02:26 PM

I kind of like having a "party birth". With DD, I had DH, MIL, my dad and two doulas, plus a nurse and then of course the OB and a bunch more nurses at the end. We're doing it at home this time and we're having DH, DD, MIL( as DD's support person), the midwife, an RN who accompanies her and my doula.  If my dad isn't out of town or in court, he'll also be there and if his g/f is in town, she'll be there too(she's an RN and former LC). DH keeps jokingly inviting friends to the birth knowing they won't want to be there, but they always say, "I don't think Caitlin would want me there". My response is always, "I don't care if you come, but I'm going to be naked you have to be quiet."

I think this particular topic definitely depends on the person. Obviously, a lot of the ladies here like privacy and don't want a bunch of people watching them and I can understand that. I don't really know why I like having a lot of people, maybe the support, maybe because I turn into an attention whore when I'm in labor? Who knows.

As far as figuring out who you should have at your birth, I'd probably just invite people I wanted there and let them know ahead of time about the 5 person rule. Maybe they can all work out a system where they rotate every so often so everyone can be there for a bit. I probably wouldn't try to work it out myself though. You have enough to worry about without dealing with who gets to be at the birth and when.

Wife to DH stillheart.gif 08/09 and SAHM to DD 09/08 and DS 11/11

Surprise! Expecting #3 Nov. 2013!
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36 yikes2.gif **40

#10 of 31 Old 10-10-2011, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Caitlin- it did work out the last 2 times that people were in and out (except I think most of them were in the room for the actual delivery - which is amazing with DS2 because even though I had this long drug out labor once I finally got ready to push he was out super fast - could have been faster, but, I tried as hard as I could to hold back) I am hoping that will be ok this time too..I have heard the rules are much more stringent now though - I am going to ask at my appointment on Wednesday if there is anyway that I can keep it to 5 in the room, but, have more than 5 people on my list of acceptable people....so wierd...at the hospital they just let whoever come back lol (actually they let someone come back that I didn't want to come back and then DH had to gently ask them to leave lol)

#11 of 31 Old 10-12-2011, 07:49 PM

My plan right now is one of my best friends (and amazing photographer) another of my best friends (who is a doula and studying to become a midwife) and my wonderful DH. I'm pretty excited.

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#12 of 31 Old 10-13-2011, 06:12 AM

Birth is a time that we focus on our family:  DP, our kiddos, and myself.  Any friends/relatives we invite are expected to contribute on some level to easing the process.

At my first birth (hospital): I invited my doula.  DP was there, of course.  MIL was in the waiting room.  CNM breezed in once in a while to check on my progress.  LOTS of hospital staff in and out. 

I allowed MIL in  the room once breastfeeding was established and I had eaten, etc.  The 3 days we were waiting around in that room afterward, MIL spent taking care of

our cats and dog at our place.

Second birth (home):  DP and MW were present for the birth.  DD(22 mos), stepMIL, FIL, doula w/camera, and MW's asst. were present for labor and immediately following birth.  FIL provided

childcare.  stepMIL was officially on childcare/kitchen duty.  She even produced a menu and taped it on the wall of the birthing room.  eat.gif

Third birth (home):  DP, both 5yo DD and 3yo DD, MW, MW's asst., a friend filming for a documentary were all present for the birth.  During labor -- until just before pushing stage, my photographer

friend was present.  (She disappeared and returned just after the babe was born. - she was unclear on how much permission I had given and chose to give privacy during pushing).

Hanging out in my house/yard was also my MIL, FIL & stepMIL, who were helping with kiddos and providing food service to the household, including birth attendants and myself.

This time around we're still contemplating.  I'd like to have a doula and someone to help with childcare when our 3 girls are not in the birthing room.  It would be wonderful to have someone take care of things in the kitchen, too ... Since 2yo dd's birth, we've moved far from where we'd lived and established long-term friendships. 

I'm closer to my side of the family now, but pretty sure I don't want that chaos in our house during a birth.  Anyway, my family members are 2 hrs + away and notoriously late for everything.  MIL lives 3 hours away.  My labors tend to go 4.5 - 5 hours from beginning to end. DP has a stepsister in town, though.  Not sure how she feels about homebirth and she hasn't been around the kiddos much, but I plan to talk to her and see how she responds.

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#13 of 31 Old 10-13-2011, 12:06 PM

Personally, I would invite no one.  I am finding I even go away from DH, but he does drive me. :)

Why?

• No one knows what you are going through.  This is will be my 5th time giving birth, but there is no way I can really feel what it's like for anyone else, even though I've been through it before.
  • Your body needs to communicate with you.  If others are around you, asking questions, trying to help, etc., you can get distracted from what you really need.
  • You never know how things will go.  You need to be focused and thoughtful.
  • Labor should be done mostly at home.  There is no need to rush to the hospital just to deal with cx that would be better dealt with at home, unless there is some health issue. 

Birth, to me, is not a party.  It's not an event for others to view.  It's about the person in labor.  It's the ONE TIME in your life (other than your own birth and death) that it really is 100% about you.  It's not even about the baby at that point-- not until the baby is out!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#14 of 31 Old 10-13-2011, 05:53 PM

It's my first, so obviously I don't have any firsthand experience on the matter, but I cannot fathom that I will want anybody but DH there. Like... I'll have my midwife there, because I don't bloody well know what I'm doing and I want to be safe =P and I trust her to be unobtrusive and helpful. But knowing myself, and how I tend to deal with pain, intensely personal/emotional events, and circumstances requiring my focus and patience... I will probably want it to be dark and quiet and to be left the hell alone, LOL! 

I've had several people offer their help/attendance/participation and I have politely declined them all. Disappointing for them, I'm sure, but I don't want to have to worry about whether I am being nice/gracious/sufficiently entertaining (!) for the observers while I'm trying to tune in to what my body needs during that time. 

Just a grad student hopelessly in love with her amazing DH and wee baby Eli (12/06/11).

1394/2012 in 2012

#15 of 31 Old 10-13-2011, 06:08 PM

I don't know yet... the midwife and DH for sure... I'd like the kids and my mom here too. So far DH sounds like he thinks thats okay, but he might have a change of heart after the prenatal classes or while I'm in labour and I want to be okay with things changing. I'm a little worried about the kids because they're 7 and 9... if they'd rather go somewhere else with mom I want to be okay with that, too. I'm trying to keep an open mind, basically. Mom has said not to worry about her feelings, if DH wants it to be just us she understands, she feels lucky to have seen the other two born and shared the experience with me, and she'd be happy to be included again but "It's not about me!" I honestly can't imagine it without her.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#16 of 31 Old 10-13-2011, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius View Post

Personally, I would invite no one.  I am finding I even go away from DH, but he does drive me. :)

Why?

• No one knows what you are going through.  This is will be my 5th time giving birth, but there is no way I can really feel what it's like for anyone else, even though I've been through it before.
  • Your body needs to communicate with you.  If others are around you, asking questions, trying to help, etc., you can get distracted from what you really need.
  • You never know how things will go.  You need to be focused and thoughtful.
  • Labor should be done mostly at home.  There is no need to rush to the hospital just to deal with cx that would be better dealt with at home, unless there is some health issue. 

Birth, to me, is not a party.  It's not an event for others to view.  It's about the person in labor.  It's the ONE TIME in your life (other than your own birth and death) that it really is 100% about you.  It's not even about the baby at that point-- not until the baby is out!

I think I have to respectfully disagree...meaning, to each woman her own. :-)

I feel having people there really supports me, I have no issue blotting out my surroundings/getting distracted, I like being in the hospital because it is so much more comfortable than my house. Alos, support aside, I love sharing such a special experience with my family and friends...that said, I am the oldest of 8 and all 7 of my younger siblings were born at home and we were present along with other close friends of my mom...we still think back to those births as a family...so special!

BennyPai likes this.
#17 of 31 Old 10-14-2011, 03:59 AM

Every woman should consider her own personality and circumstances when deciding who to invite or not to invite.  Pay attention to your instincts and respect your own needs first.

My needs have been different at each birth.  I know that I need to have control over my environment and trust the people around me.  That has translated differently at each birth.  My first birth I just wanted DP and my doula.  Unfortunately, hospital staff was not optional.  At my next birth I needed to kick everyone, including the doula, out of the room except MW and DP in order to relax and push.  I was in yet another different place during my third birth, feeling at ease with my best friend photographing and another close friend making a video. 

Personally, I like to have my birthing space and bathroom private:  door closed and not to be opened without my permission.  Having older children, I can't imagine not having someone around to entertain/feed/answer questions for my children while I'm busy with labor.  My DP's role in birth is to focus on me, exclusively, so that person has to be someone else. 

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#18 of 31 Old 10-14-2011, 11:03 AM

Yes, we are definitely different!   For me, the hospital = being monitored which means I have to sit down and/or not move.  I do a million times better standing, walking, in the shower, etc. when I am in labor.  Can't imagine being still, chatting, etc. My births have been pretty fast, so I am focused the whole time. 

I am with you on the hospital after the birth . . .then it's like a hotel room for the baby and me, which are the only few days we get one-on-one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMomma83 View Post

I think I have to respectfully disagree...meaning, to each woman her own. :-)

I feel having people there really supports me, I have no issue blotting out my surroundings/getting distracted, I like being in the hospital because it is so much more comfortable than my house. Alos, support aside, I love sharing such a special experience with my family and friends...that said, I am the oldest of 8 and all 7 of my younger siblings were born at home and we were present along with other close friends of my mom...we still think back to those births as a family...so special!

#19 of 31 Old 10-14-2011, 12:08 PM

I'm actually really looking forward to having the toddlers with me. I think that having them there will help me stay away from the yelling and focus on the moaning. That's my biggest thing to remember - I'm a yeller

#20 of 31 Old 10-14-2011, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

I guess as far as hospital goes it kinda depends on the hospital though (and this is actually a new one for me this time, but I have the same practice...this hospital is a replacement of the one I birthed in before so hopefully things will be similar) I got monitored more with DS1 because of moconium in the water, but, with DS2 I don't think they ever hooked me up to the monitor except when I had an IV (my request...for some reason I can't drink enoiugh and can't eat at all in labor so after 2 days I am completly exhausted and for whatever reason that gets me back enough strength to finish...going to try harder to drink on my own this time and maybe even eat) in fact with DS2, they didn't even really use the hand held - they tried like twice and it wasn't coming through so they just kept asking if the baby was moving (he was) so they didn't try to monitor anymore after that...I walked around, I showered, I used a birthing ball, I used a rocking chair, I did hands and knees and squating with use of a bar and the bed/pillows and my support people (all at the suggestions of the nurse and midwife)...but I do not that is not really typical in a hospital setting from what I have heard....so I can see why someone would want to wait until the last minute if they had a different experience.

Czarena- I was thinking about allowing DS1 (4 1/2) to come in just before birth...he really wants to see his sister be born...DH is kinda concerned though that he may not be ready to see that (I think he would be totally fine).

#21 of 31 Old 10-14-2011, 10:47 PM

LilMomma - I was 3 years 11 months when I watched my sister enter the world, I barely remember it (most of my memories are of things like sleeping in a chair, etc) but have all sorts of special warm fuzzies knowing that I was there. And my sister at 27 still thinks it was totally awesome that I was there.

#22 of 31 Old 10-15-2011, 05:38 AM

On the subject of having other children around during labor/birth:

One of my favorite homebirth photos is of my 22mos. DD holding my hand while I was having a contraction.  She saw her father holding my hand and wanted to help out, too.  It was a great moment.  After the contraction, she leaned over the edge of the tub and gave me a sweet kiss.  happytears.gif

http://cdn.mothering.com/e/ee/ee901ede_Labor-1.jpg

APToddlerMama likes this.

#23 of 31 Old 10-15-2011, 05:28 PM

This is baby #8 for me and our 5th UC Homebirth.

My sister and best friend plan to be available to watch the other kids if labor takes place during the daytime hours (#7 arrived at 2am after a fast and furious 3 hr labor and everyone was asleep). Our place is big enough so Ive got room to escape and they will be well occupied and supervised. I tend to want no one around me at all, and dont mind if DH is/is not there. (He didnt make it home in time for #5) The more babies Ive had the more Ive come to really know myself and need my own space. The more I rely on myself the easier the labor and birth seem to go.  I will certainly appreciate all of the help available afterward tho!

SAHM Wiccan mama to 4boys, 3girls and 3 angels.
UC/UP/EBF/AP/CD/BW, Waterbirthing, Homeschooling, no circ, no vax.
Expecting #8 on Dec 6th, 2011

#24 of 31 Old 10-19-2011, 06:42 AM

I've heard some midwives say that you can add an hour to the birth for every person there besides the mother, as a rule of thumb. 

For my first, it wasn't quite that bad (hours, per se) but the number of people.... OY!

I had my parents. My partner. My two roommates (one taking pictures, the other a massage therapist in training), my kid sister (literally, she was 8) and a midwife. Oh, and somewhere between 10 and 14 hospital staff. It was a freakin' zoo.

For my second, through most of the labor my daughter was asleep or half asleep (age 11), my midwife was off knitting a hat, and my husband was half asleep on the bed while I labored. So I was mostly alone. I actually preferred it that way. 

This time, I'll have two midwives here, but not in the room most of the time. My husband if he's awake enough to be useful. My now-18 year old if she wants to be helpful. And possibly my six year old, but ONLY for the birth itself because with her cognitive issues I don't think she'll get it otherwise.

With my first labor, my mother and father were GREAT support, and very helpful, but that was a hospital birth, and they're comfortable with hospital birth. But I wouldn't have missed my roommates or my sister at all. I needed people more as a buffer between me and the staff than anything.

Realistically, every single person who is there needs to have a concrete reason for being there, a role to play, etc.

And sometimes the single best thing anyone can do for the mother in labor is to give her some quiet, dark space to get the right hormones going. 

Quote:

4) 25yo sister (she came to my first 2 births and I am sure is expecting to come to this one...also I think she pretty well knows how to support me now)

5) 18yo sister (she takes great pics...I believe she was at DS1's birth and then out of town for DS2's birth)

6) 16yo sister (I don't have a particular reason to or not to choose her - but I feel kinda bad if I don't)

7) Brother's 21yo girlfriend (haha kinda weird, I know, but, she is a good friend and is really down to earth and "just do it" (the kind of person I need), and I think she might actually by a good person to have there...I don't think I would choose her over a sister though if it came to that)

8) My best friend (probably she will not even be in town, but, if baby is born late she might be...and she is like a sister to me and I think she would be devistated if I didn't invite her and she was in town - plus she can get me to do anything lol)

Of all of these, the ONLY one that looks essential is the sister who takes great pictures, if that is important to you. The one thing I would NOT worry about is anyone feeling left out. It's not about them. Your job is not to take care of your family and friends and put on a show, but to birth your baby. I have seven people (including me) living on my property right now, all related by blood or marriage, and my parents live a half mile away. We see each other all the time. But my sister LIVES with me, and I'm having a homebirth, and I'm not inviting her, and she's fine with that. 

Jenrose, Mama to DD1, born 1993, DD2, born 2005, and DS1, Jan. 2012. Babywearing, cosleeping, homebirthing mom with fibromyalgia and hashimotos.  DD2 has a rare chromosome disorder. 

#25 of 31 Old 10-19-2011, 12:50 PM

Very interesting!  Would be neat to have a study done to see if there is any validity to that.  Would a doula count?  I wanted one for my 1st, but after that decided I wouldn't need one.

In secret, I would be fine with UC IF I could sew myself up afterward (I always tear . . .leftover from baby 1) and could guarantee no emergencies.  I would be totally happy doing this on my own.  I don't want to tempt Fate, though . . .still trying to figure out how I'll have someone to watch my other kids and someone else to drive me to the hospital, even if it's just to drop me off (cab?).  I don't think my DH would make it home on time.  Thankfully, all four babies have listened to me as to when they should be born.  Hoping this one will, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrose View Post

I've heard some midwives say that you can add an hour to the birth for every person there besides the mother, as a rule of thumb. 

#26 of 31 Old 10-19-2011, 01:17 PM

My two home births were shorter in hours than the number of people in my house ... Maybe it makes a difference how many are allowed in the birthing room versus at the residence.  I wouldn't want my birth to be any shorter than the usual 4.5-5 hours,  as the MW might not make it in time to assist...lol.gif

#27 of 31 Old 10-25-2011, 01:23 PM

With our first it was just my DH and my midwife (she came 4min before My DS arrived into the world, we didn't time contractions right) so it was very calm and quiet (well I wasn't quiet). But it was nice. My only regret is not having someone there to take pictures and to take care of the needs of my DH. So this time we are having my sister there to take pictures (quietly) and my bestest friend (to take care of anything that my DH needs) and my midwife.  i hope that it turns out well. Oh yes, I have enlisted my mom to take care of our DS and if need be to take him to her house just depending on how things are going with the birth.

We had a homebirth and we are planning a homebirth with this one, too.

And I agree that it really depends on the woman. Some like the intimacy of just their spouse and others like to have a crowd. Whatever makes the woman most comfortable and puts her at ease so that her labor progresses well.

#28 of 31 Old 10-25-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

lol I think I am the only one who wants a male present (with the exception of DHs/SOs)...funny thing is my dad is the one person I would pick if I could not have anyone else there...and the truth is I never even invited him to DS1's birth - he just came lol, but, it was so perfect and I was so glad he came to DS2's and I really hope he can make this one...at least from transition through birth...something about his calming/reassuring words/prayers...he's awesome (of course he has been by my mom's side for 7 home births lol so he certainly has experience!) Whats funny is normally there is no way I would want him to see my nekkid or anything lol...

Oh, so I did go to the hospital and they are pretty strict...so I am thinking I may just pick Dad, Mom, DH and just not even invite anyone else...if they are able to work a way to come than I would love to have them...but, I am not going to be the one to choose..

#29 of 31 Old 10-25-2011, 05:43 PM

I think I would like my dad here too :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMomma83 View Post

lol I think I am the only one who wants a male present (with the exception of DHs/SOs)...funny thing is my dad is the one person I would pick if I could not have anyone else there...and the truth is I never even invited him to DS1's birth - he just came lol, but, it was so perfect and I was so glad he came to DS2's and I really hope he can make this one...at least from transition through birth...something about his calming/reassuring words/prayers...he's awesome (of course he has been by my mom's side for 7 home births lol so he certainly has experience!) Whats funny is normally there is no way I would want him to see my nekkid or anything lol...

Oh, so I did go to the hospital and they are pretty strict...so I am thinking I may just pick Dad, Mom, DH and just not even invite anyone else...if they are able to work a way to come than I would love to have them...but, I am not going to be the one to choose..

Melissa-Mama to Allyson carrot.gif 1-22-07 and Katelyn homebirth.jpg 5-14-09 and Paul 1-2-12 my 10 lb 6oz. homebirthed baby boy.

#30 of 31 Old 10-26-2011, 09:26 PM

My dad was fantastic at my hospital birth. I think his comment when someone asked, "Doesn't it bother you to see her naked?" was "I changed her diapers."

Jenrose, Mama to DD1, born 1993, DD2, born 2005, and DS1, Jan. 2012. Babywearing, cosleeping, homebirthing mom with fibromyalgia and hashimotos.  DD2 has a rare chromosome disorder. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page