Anyone else sad that our pregnancies are almost over? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 10-08-2011, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Its kind of weird...I honestly am not a huge fan of being pregnant, and with my first 2 kids I was just SO GLAD when it was over...for some reason this time I am feeling a little sad that it will be over soon - I am really looking forward to meeting the baby, but, I guess because I don't expect to ever be pregnant again I just feel like I need to soak it all in and I am kind of wishing it would last a little longer (even though lots of parts of me are ready to be done too lol)...its jsut such an odd feeling...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 10-08-2011, 10:43 AM

I can't wait for it to be over!! lol I'm not a big fan of being pregnant either (and I didn't want to be in the first place). But I will miss the gentle bumps and kicks (she's not big enough yet to really hurt, just be uncomfortable sometimes).

in love with and married to my best friend ♥ snuggling my baby girl Ari Grace, 12-4-11

#3 of 19 Old 10-08-2011, 01:07 PM

Yes! I was so miserable with hyperemesis throughout the whole first half of the pregnancy and feel like it's only been since the end of the 2nd trimester-current that I've gotten to enjoy/focus on being pregnant. This is our first, but no idea at this point if it will be our one and only. It makes me feel like I should be doing more/wishing I had done more in terms of documenting through photos of the growing belly, and such.

Absolutely looking forward to having a little one, but also a bit terrified! I don't feel like I know the first thing about having a kid, whereas I've been pretty calm about the whole pregnancy/birth thing.

#4 of 19 Old 10-08-2011, 02:27 PM

I always envy people who feel that way.  Because I have been ready to be DONE for a while (since the first waves of nausea, really.)

I am excited about the person who will be a part of our family, but I have to admit that I kind of look forward to moving past the pregnant/newborn stage.  NB snuggles are wonderful, and I do cherish those, but I'm looking forward to watching my family grow as it will soon be complete. 

Off to a new stage in life!

#5 of 19 Old 10-08-2011, 03:24 PM

I am one who doesn't really enjoy being pregnant the majority of the time, and I am anxious to add this little boy to our family of girls....but like you, I am 99% sure this will be my last pregnancy so seeing the days count down to the edd is a little bittersweet.  It seems so strange to think that I'll never do this again and it makes me a little more hesitant to wish the time away.

#6 of 19 Old 10-08-2011, 08:26 PM

I'm one of those in the middle. I've been lucky all things considered with this pregnancy, but the hip pain/spd has been a lot for me to adjust to, especially while working a 40 hour a week job on my feet the whole time. I'm ready for the pain to end. 

That said, when I'm able to be home, off my feet, and relaxing and just enjoying the pregnancy,, and the flips and moves and rolls... it fills me with grins everyday, and as much as I'm excited for her to be here, I know I'm going to miss the belly, and miss having her inside, and a part of me. 

It does feel like it went really slow in the beginning, and then sped up a ton. I have (in theory!) less than 8 weeks left! That is insane. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#7 of 19 Old 10-08-2011, 10:47 PM

I think that for me some of it is the sheer amount of time I have been pregnant in my life.  I have 10 month pregnancies (in general) so after this pregnancy, it will be well over 4 years total having been pregnant.  

I probably will miss the kicks at some point, but a short torso makes for a painful third tri. 

#8 of 19 Old 10-08-2011, 11:14 PM

I have my moments.  I know once this is all over, I'll miss it and be sad that we are not as connected as we were...I'll also do the same when I stop breastfeeding, when this baby goes to school...it never ends.  :(  

I was actually relieved to hear a friend say the other day at just a month postpartum that she can hardly remember what it was like to be pregnant.  YAY!!  I'll forget all of the bad stuff and eventually tell people (like I did with my first), that my pregnancy was pretty good and that I loved having the little one in my belly. 

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#9 of 19 Old 10-09-2011, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendizbaby View Post

I have my moments.  I know once this is all over, I'll miss it and be sad that we are not as connected as we were...I'll also do the same when I stop breastfeeding, when this baby goes to school...it never ends.  :(  

I was actually relieved to hear a friend say the other day at just a month postpartum that she can hardly remember what it was like to be pregnant.  YAY!!  I'll forget all of the bad stuff and eventually tell people (like I did with my first), that my pregnancy was pretty good and that I loved having the little one in my belly. 

Aww haha I am even more sad now! (in a happy way...if that makes sense)...

weaning was really emotional...I'm still not over it lol its been about 18mos since I weaned (both kids at once)...neither was really ready though, so I think that made it harder - I'm hoping this one will get to nurse much longer; I weaned mine at 3 and 5mos (long story on that one) but out of the moms who extended nurse around here I know more than a handful that have nursed well over 3 years (several who nursed 5 or so years) so I am kind of hoping for that experience...I know weaning this one is going to be one of the hardest things ever when it comes time...I LOVE nursing (most of the time lol). Then next year I will have one in school...and you are right there is so many more firsts and lasts!

Insidevoice- at the same time I am truly looking forward to the next chapter in life - so many oppurtunities that will become possible when I don't have babies....

#10 of 19 Old 10-09-2011, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Oh no.  I love having kids, I love giving birth, I love my new babies, I love my growing children and all the wonderful energy and chaos and love and noise they bring into my house.  But I thoroughly dislike being pregnant. 

When that first, strong contraction hits me in a few weeks, I will do a happy dance all the way to delivery.  And I will have a HUGE smile on my face when I push this lovely baby out.  HUGE!  Because pregnancy feels like a horrible puking, aching marathon of discomfort. 

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#11 of 19 Old 10-09-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMomma83 View Post

Aww haha I am even more sad now! (in a happy way...if that makes sense)...

weaning was really emotional...I'm still not over it lol its been about 18mos since I weaned (both kids at once)...neither was really ready though, so I think that made it harder - I'm hoping this one will get to nurse much longer; I weaned mine at 3 and 5mos (long story on that one) but out of the moms who extended nurse around here I know more than a handful that have nursed well over 3 years (several who nursed 5 or so years) so I am kind of hoping for that experience...I know weaning this one is going to be one of the hardest things ever when it comes time...I LOVE nursing (most of the time lol). Then next year I will have one in school...and you are right there is so many more firsts and lasts!

Insidevoice- at the same time I am truly looking forward to the next chapter in life - so many oppurtunities that will become possible when I don't have babies....

I nursed for two years and I swear, my ds would have gone until he was 20.  It was heartbreaking, but I was having hormonal issues and I felt like it was time.  We did the slooooww wean, but I totally felt disconnected still.  It seems like parenting is all about letting your children go even when you don't want to.  :)

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#12 of 19 Old 10-09-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

Oh no.  I love having kids, I love giving birth, I love my new babies, I love my growing children and all the wonderful energy and chaos and love and noise they bring into my house.  But I thoroughly dislike being pregnant. 

When that first, strong contraction hits me in a few weeks, I will do a happy dance all the way to delivery.  And I will have a HUGE smile on my face when I push this lovely baby out.  HUGE!  Because pregnancy feels like a horrible puking, aching marathon of discomfort. 

This is probably the best description of where I am emotionally that I have ever seen.  

I am slowly making peace with not being a woman who loves pregnancy, but I just miss my normal energy levels and my normal mood stability, and just being able to be as present as I want with my kids. I don't like the toll on my family being pregnant takes- or the personal discomfort.  This is why the last child will be only two years after the previous child, and there were only 14 months between that and the second child.  I wanted to get through this stage.  

#13 of 19 Old 10-13-2011, 01:10 PM

Hmm-- I still feel like I have a long way to go.  I'm only almost 30 weeks now. 

Will I be glad to be done?  On one hand, yes, because I feel like the kids deserve to have me back (not that I will be so great for awhile anyway), but of course, I hate to think of these years just ending . . .so sad that this time, it will be our last newborn, then the last toddler, etc.  Pretty soon they will be moving out and on with life, and I'll wonder where the years went.  That's why I try not to wish time to pass quickly!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#14 of 19 Old 10-13-2011, 05:16 PM

I feel like I have a ways to go too, I'm 29 weeks now. But yes, I'll be sad when pregnancy is over. This is our first, and it's been such a magical experience, feeling this little being growing inside me. I really love it. I've been really lucky that I haven't had a difficult pregnancy, and don't think I don't stop to think and appreciate that! I so do!! My aches and pains are nothing compared to some of the difficulties I read about here, and I feel such empathy for women for whom that is their experience! Anyway, yes, sad that pregnancy is drawing to a close, nervous about labor and birth itself, and can't wait to meet little one! I'm a mish-mash :-)

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#15 of 19 Old 10-14-2011, 03:03 PM

Whew! I was beginning to think something was wrong with me until I read RuthieGirl's post.

I hate being pregnant. There is nothing enjoyable about it whatsoever, and as soon as the baby is out I am putting on some music and doing the samba.

I love babies and I love children, but I could do without pregnancy, it wouldn't make me sad at all.

#16 of 19 Old 10-19-2011, 09:16 AM

If I could skip straight to term labor and birth, I totally would. 

I think I was a whopping 8 weeks pregnant when I told my husband, "Even if I miscarry, this is the last one, period."

Five pregnancies. Two miscarriages. One child with a chromosome disorder and severe special needs, and my 18 year old. It took me a heck of a lot of work to get the point of even being willing to try.

I hate the toll it takes on my family...which is why there is almost a 12 year gap between 1 and 2, and will be nearly 7 years between 2 and 3.

Jenrose, Mama to DD1, born 1993, DD2, born 2005, and DS1, Jan. 2012. Babywearing, cosleeping, homebirthing mom with fibromyalgia and hashimotos.  DD2 has a rare chromosome disorder. 

#17 of 19 Old 10-19-2011, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

As much as I've hated almost every moment of this pregnancy, and been filled with worry, had to deal with tons of complications, etc., I think in a small way I will be sad.  99% of the time I am just convincing myself I can hang on one more day with all this horrible hospital bedrest, being separated from DS, etc., but there is a tiny piece of me that suddenly feels like once the pregnancy is over, a chapter in my life is over too.  This will almost undoubtedly be our last biological child because I just cannot see putting myself or my family through this ever again.  It makes me feel so old to be officially done birthing babies.  I love love love that newborn stage (though I'll probably start a postpartum/newborn sleep deprivation complaining thread which will make it seem like I don't love the stage at all ;)).  I guess I am mourning not getting to have a more carefree pregnancy too.  I am mourning the fact that despite not even putting on nail polish or drinking regular coffee, that I've ended up having to have all these hardcore medications to stop the preterm labor, and worrying about the implications of that, though I know it was the best thing to do. 

#18 of 19 Old 10-19-2011, 01:28 PM

I'm not sad, but I am trying to make an effort to enjoy the final weeks.  It's a pretty unique experience and I don't know that I will ever have it again.  It's had enjoyable moments, especially the end of the 1st trimester and beginning of the 2nd.  And now ... these are the last 10 weeks that DH and I will have to ourselves for a long time and I'm not quite ready to give that up.  

I do feel oddly beautiful, which is interesting because I've always found pregnant women to be pretty grotesque (I'm really not wired with maternal inclinations).  I always wondered why people would want belly shots or casts or why they would paint/henna their bellies.  Now it kind of makes sense.   It's awkward.  It's different.  Some days I'm incredibly frumpy and fat and unattractive.  But some days I feel incredibly sensual and curvy and beautiful.  

#19 of 19 Old 10-19-2011, 02:24 PM

You might try taking sort of a "boudoir" shot on the days when you feel good. I've never been into belly pics or anything (I post them at the urging of my friends lol), but I did do that the other day, and with some soft editing, it turned out really pretty. I just showed a few of my girl friends and my husband of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post
I do feel oddly beautiful, which is interesting because I've always found pregnant women to be pretty grotesque (I'm really not wired with maternal inclinations).  I always wondered why people would want belly shots or casts or why they would paint/henna their bellies.  Now it kind of makes sense.   It's awkward.  It's different.  Some days I'm incredibly frumpy and fat and unattractive.  But some days I feel incredibly sensual and curvy and beautiful.  

in love with and married to my best friend ♥ snuggling my baby girl Ari Grace, 12-4-11

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page