Baby moving/not moving... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-09-2011, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I haven't really felt my baby move today very much, not as much as what seems to be 'normal'...should I be worried?? I have GAD so I can get freaked out pretty easily. lol Usually she wakes up before I do, and is active when I wake up. This morning (I did sleep two hours past when I usually get up, if that makes a diff) when I got up she was still, and after a few minutes woke up and started moving. My time is probably all off...it just seems like normally she's really active, and I've only felt her the one time this morning.

I don't want to overreact, but I want to be aware if there is something wrong. I'm 28 weeks.

in love with and married to my best friend ♥ snuggling my baby girl Ari Grace, 12-4-11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2011, 02:51 PM

My baby has days where he is not kicking as much and seems to be relaxing. ;-)

Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

Old 10-09-2011, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Whew! Lol My husband keeps telling me to just relax...everything will be OK...that she's just sleepy today. I just watched a TV show the other day where the woman lost her baby at like 32 weeks so I'm trying not to freak.

in love with and married to my best friend ♥ snuggling my baby girl Ari Grace, 12-4-11

Old 10-09-2011, 03:37 PM

I trust my body enough to tell me when there is something seriously wrong. I try not to worry so much because that can't be good for the baby either.

Try to count the baby's kicks in an hour. They kick alot more than we sometimes realize.

But we also have to remember, our babies are going to have off days where they are less active.

Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

Old 10-09-2011, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

It must just be a not-very-active day for her. I feel her a little now and then...just not as much as normal. I've sort of freaked out before, because she'll be really active for like a week or two, then not very active for a day or two. I just read that I wasn't supposed to be worried until the third trimester lol

Old 10-09-2011, 04:00 PM

I don't usually post here... mainly lurk... but I'm due in December too, and I JUST went through this yesterday & the day before. I'm also 28 weeks, 29 tomorrow, so this post stuck out to me and I wanted to offer some reassurance, especially as a baby loss mom who tends to be super paranoid and every little thing!

Anyway... from 24-28 weeks my little guy was SO active. His seemed to have a very predictable schedule; awake for a half hour, asleep for a half hour. Really frequent, strong kicks that looked like he was going to bust through my belly! lol.gif Lots of poking at him and getting him to poke back. smile.gif Then 2 days ago he slowed WAY down. He seemed to be sleeping for like 3-4 hours at a time, and then when he was awake, I could only feel weak tapping like movement, no kicks or rolls. The only thing that kept me from calling right away was that when he was awake, I could still count 10 movements in a pretty short time... But it was definitely decreased for him... and much weaker... I tried to stay patient throughout the day because he's done stuff like this is the past, but not in the third trimester where it seems much more important to have the regular movement. Anyway, just as I was about ready to call my midwife, I felt him do a MAJOR turn, and he's been back to his regular self all last night and today. Awake a lot and kicking, punching, & squirming like crazy. PHEW! love.gif

Anyway, I'm thinking he was in a really weird position where I couldn't feel him as much, and/or going through a growth spurt and sleeping for longer stretches of time.

Movement is SO crazy!! So reassuring usually but also has the potential to be very worrisome!!!

P.S. My midwife's office has made it clear that I am perfectly ok to overreact, as it is always better to be safe than sorry! Don't hesitate to call someone if you need to know things are ok!

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

Old 10-09-2011, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, Vermillion! Makes me feel much better :) I probably would call someone, but I don't have an official midwife/dr right now. Speaking of that, I need to call the midwife (the one we were hoping to go with) again to remind her I have my lab results that she wanted to look over...

Old 10-09-2011, 06:12 PM

I'm 31 weeks and I've been having this for the last few weeks.  I think she's just running out of space so her movements aren't as big as they used to be.  :)  Definitely way less movement than I was used to.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:06 PM

I think as long as you can get baby to get reactive-- ie if you wake her up by poking or moving around (my baby girl moves a ton if I lean forward, I guess it makes her feel squished) and she will respond by kicking or stretching, moving, etc, then I wouldn't be worried. This little one definitely has her quiet moments, but I figure as long as she's still responding to outside stimuli, then really that tells me she's doing fine. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 10-09-2011, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mmkay! Normally she does move a lot when I'm leaning over! lol! She did move more thru the day...just not as much as "normal". Thanks :)

Old 10-09-2011, 11:13 PM

I think sometimes when I'm busier, I don't notice her move as much.  When I'm resting or not as active, I notice her movements a lot more.

It's also very reassuring to do kick counts.  Ideally, you should do them at roughly the same time each day.  I usually do them right after I put my other kids to bed, which is the one time each day when I always tend to sit down on the couch for a few minutes and relax.  She tends to be active then, too, so it works well, and offers reassurance, especially if I've had a busy day and haven't noticed or been in-tune with all her movements.

I will also sometimes poke at her to make sure I can get a reaction out of her if I haven't consciously felt her move for a while.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:29 PM

I always get a lot of extra movement if I drink a really cold glass of water. Next time you're worried about movement, give that a try.

Wife to DH stillheart.gif 08/09 and SAHM to DD 09/08 and DS 11/11

Surprise! Expecting #3 Nov. 2013!
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36 yikes2.gif **40

Old 10-10-2011, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think having days of lots of movement followed by little movement is pretty normal--at least it is for me. I notice that times of little movement follow a big belly growth spurt, and I think it's because everything has expanded, so baby has more room, and I feel those kicks less.

A suggestion, though, for if you're really worried about it, is to get a fetoscope. You can get one for around $14 on Amazon, and with that, you can listen to your baby whenever you want. Whenever I haven't felt anything for a long time, I get mine out and have a listen. Usually the pressure of the scope wakes baby up and gets it kicking, but even if not, I can hear that fast heartbeat beating away, and it's so nice and comforting.

Maker-mama, joyously loving my boy, Winter Rhys, born 12/2011, and our twins, Wren and Forest, born 4/2014.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks you all :) I remembered my aunt had given me one of those things you said (fetoscope?) so we did give a listen. It was sorta cool, at one point we heard both the baby's and my hearbeats overlapping! ^_^

User Tag List