Hospital birth & keeping placenta? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-11-2011, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Are any of you who are having hospital births planning to keep your placenta? I really want to (I want to get it encapsulated and consume that to hopefully avoid/manage PPD); but, I am kind of nervous about asking to take it home - I feel like its probably not allowed and I think it might be just about impossible to sneak it out...

Just wondering if anyone is planning to do this or has done this and how?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 10-11-2011, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think it depends on the hospital. It's a good idea to talk with your birth provider to see what your hospital's policy is.  From what I've read, some hospitals classify the placenta as "medical waste" while others offer the placenta to the mother and even refrigerate the placenta until you are discharged.  You may need to bring your own cooler to store the placenta if the hospital doesn't offer to refrigerate it, or just to transport the placenta home.

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#3 of 12 Old 10-12-2011, 08:52 AM

It's allowed. It's YOUR placenta. You grew it. Depending on the hospital, you might have to fight them for it but it's no different than people taking home wisdom teeth or tonsils(yes, people do that. My brother's mom kept his after they were removed and put them in his baby book. Ew.). I'd ask as soon as possible what the policy is and then go from there. If they say it's fine, then just make sure it's in your chart and that your doctor knows so someone doesn't get carried away and toss it before you can get ahold of it.

Wife to DH stillheart.gif 08/09 and SAHM to DD 09/08 and DS 11/11

Surprise! Expecting #3 Nov. 2013!
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36 yikes2.gif **40

#4 of 12 Old 10-12-2011, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

With my hospital birth they did not allow me to take it :(

I would talk to them and ask. Maybe ahead of time, you can claim it is a religious right to keep it, or something like that. I was a hospital transfer so I didn't have anything in place already.

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#5 of 12 Old 10-12-2011, 11:36 AM

I think it definitely depends on the hospital. I've heard of it being done here, but make sure you talk to your provider about it beforehand, and mention it as soon as you get to the hospital, and right again after the birth, otherwise it will be gone and you'll never see it again. My understanding, is that they still have to keep a piece of it for pathology (for what I'm not sure...) but that they should in most cases, be able to package up the remainder for you to take home (and yes, bring a cooler). Otherwise, as pp said, it's considered medical waste and they will dispose of it asap. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#6 of 12 Old 10-12-2011, 12:42 PM

I've taken four of them home! I just talked to my doc or midwife beforehand and they told me to bring a couple of large freezer bags :)  They packaged it discreetly and asked me to put it in my bag...lol. 

#7 of 12 Old 10-12-2011, 12:51 PM

make sure they don't treat it with anything - I've heard of them putting formaldehyde on it not realizing the mom intended to eat it.

#8 of 12 Old 10-12-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarena View Post

make sure they don't treat it with anything - I've heard of them putting formaldehyde on it not realizing the mom intended to eat it.

spitdrink.gif

It's nice of them for the thought... but I mean really, what do they think you're doing with it... keeping it on your living room mantle in a jar? 

Although... maybe better then them realizing what you actually want it for. 

((ps, what happened to the throwing up smiley?))

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#9 of 12 Old 10-12-2011, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

My mom always buried hers and planted something over it (she had home births) ;-) Yeah, that was my other concern though....I don't want it getting contaminated or anything...

#10 of 12 Old 10-12-2011, 08:43 PM

I was told by my midwife that I needed to contact the hospital ahead of time and claim religious reasoning... so we are meeting with a nurse coordinator to talk about our wishes.

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#11 of 12 Old 10-13-2011, 09:01 PM

I'm planning to take mine.  From what I understand, in my area you have to sign a form.  If you want to take it for encapsulation you might have to sign two forms so that you can take it sooner than later.  The person who will be encapsulating mine has a lot of info on her website on hospital policy and how she can help out with getting the placenta. 

Jane: mama to 3 angels and The Champ(11/08) and Baby Z appearing in December

#12 of 12 Old 10-14-2011, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

One of my friends told me the other day that she thinks the hospital I am delivering at does allow one to bring home their placenta! Hopefully so...now for the logistics..

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page