Something in my vagina... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-20-2011, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've been hospitalized for preterm labor which many of you know, I'm still contracting despite meds and bedrest and my cervix is paper thin, some dilation, head is very low, etc., which has been going on for weeks now.  My doctor and I agreed there would be no more cervical checks whatsoever several weeks ago because he does not want to risk setting off labor.  He did say if something "changed" he may need to look.  So, I have been sitting here for three days now not saying anything about the changes I've been feeling because I don't want a cervical exam.  But...basically it feels like something is sitting in my vagina.  Low.  Like I suspect I would feel something if I put my finger in maybe two inches.  I did some reading and it sounds like that sensation can come from a bulging bag or from a prolapsed cord (which is an emergency for baby).  I am worried that if it is a bulging bag, a cervical check could rupture the membranes.  Also worried that if it is a prolapsed cord that if I don't have it checked, something bad could happen. 

So, wise MDC mamas, what would you do?  Would I be having other signs of prolapsed cord and how likely is it that it could have prolapsed given my water has not broken?  TIA

x-posted in I'm pregnant

#2 of 8 Old 10-20-2011, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would get it checked honestly, maybe talk about it for a while before you do so you can convey your concerns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#3 of 8 Old 10-20-2011, 08:25 PM

I would get checked too.  :(  Maybe wait until tomorrow so you can see your OB - it sounds like you guys have a good relationship.   (((hugs))) and good luck.

To ease your worries a little bit: it shouldn't be a prolapsed cord - your water would have to break first.

#4 of 8 Old 10-20-2011, 09:13 PM

If you raise your concerns about bulging bag of a water or cord (agree that it is unlikely, but hey it's a mother's job to worry) you may also ask that they do a speculum exam first (in the event that the particular person you are seeing doesn't think of it first). That would be the standard form of care for exactly your concern of placing fingers into the unknown...

I hope it's just the pressure of the baby and your body getting ready and nothing more, but think you'll likely lower your stress levels by getting it checked out. Good luck!

#5 of 8 Old 10-20-2011, 09:24 PM

ya...I would get it checked.  Hopefully in some way that won't make things worse.  

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#6 of 8 Old 10-21-2011, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thank you everyone!  I have just been hanging tight. After I posted I noticed I'm losing more mucous plug so maybe that is the feeling?  If it is the bag, I think it is probably better not to touch it, and I'm thinking it probably isn't the cord.... I have a seriously wild imagination though so I am still nervous about it.  I guess it only happens to like 1 in 300 people.  I have had everything else go wrong, so I am hoping the odds are against this going wrong too. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post

To ease your worries a little bit: it shouldn't be a prolapsed cord - your water would have to break first.

Thank you.  Are you certain?  I was thinking the same thing but then doing a little google searching it looked like it was possible?  If it definitely is not, I will rest a lot easier!

#7 of 8 Old 10-21-2011, 12:22 PM

Reiterating that it is unlikely, BUT it is possible for both the waters and the cord in the water to prolapse past an open cervix. If it were the cord only-your waters would have indeed broken. 

#8 of 8 Old 10-26-2011, 05:51 PM

If the cord is in the vaginal canal with the BOW still intact, the BOW will hopefully protect the cord some from compression.  It is pretty unlikely that there is an issue with the cord if your BOW is still intact.  How dilated where you when last checked?  For a bulging bag, I think you would have to be dilated more than 3-4 cm. It could be the mucus plug you feel.  If you haven't been very active, then maybe it isn't passing through like it would if you were up and moving around a bunch.  I wish you LOTS of luck!!!  Sending "stay pregnant" vibes your way.  

Trying to raise a healthy, happy family in NC. DD: 5/09, and due with #2: 12/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page