Who has a name? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 11-02-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We finally do.  I am so happy!  Might change our minds again, but it's a relief.  Picking out a 5th girl's name is not easy for us.

Is everyone else set?  Anyone still deciding?  Anyone waiting to meet your LO before picking it out?

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#2 of 44 Old 11-02-2011, 06:20 PM

Hooray! I can only imagine how much work must need to go into a 5th girl's name.

Count me in the camp where I really thought we might NEVER agree. We recently officially confirmed to one another that we were good on the name. Now we are on to talking about designing a baby naming ceremony. Basically we took each of our first choices that we've had since the summer and just "agreed" that we would use both of them (in the order I wanted all alongwhistling.gif)

#3 of 44 Old 11-02-2011, 07:18 PM

We've been trying to decide between two boys' names but if this baby turns out to be a boy, I think we'll just have to decide on a name when we meet him. We WERE set on a girl's name but DH just threw another name into the mix that I really like so I guess we have two names no matter what. Our boy names are Henry Aaron and Oscar Dean and our girl names are Vera Louise and Sylvia Louise.

Wife to DH stillheart.gif 08/09 and SAHM to DD 09/08 and DS 11/11

Surprise! Expecting #3 Nov. 2013!
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36 yikes2.gif **40

#4 of 44 Old 11-02-2011, 07:36 PM

We have a name for our DS! :):):)

Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

#5 of 44 Old 11-02-2011, 07:42 PM

Yep!! We've had a name for a while :D Ariadne (ahree-ODD-nay) Grace...Ari for short :D

in love with and married to my best friend ♥ snuggling my baby girl Ari Grace, 12-4-11

#6 of 44 Old 11-02-2011, 09:24 PM

We have a girl name and have almost from the very first, but still no boy name.  We like Jack, Jess(e), and Lee ... I think that's it.  I love Henry and love the nickname Hank, but DH is not sold.  If it's a boy, I suppose we'll just wait and see what he's like.

#7 of 44 Old 11-03-2011, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Still not settled on names.  My 5- & 7-yo DDs suggested Elliott for a boy a while ago and neither DP nor I have dismissed that idea.  Elliott Michael?  Atley Michael? What might nicknames be for those?

A fourth girl might be Emberley ... no idea what we'd use for a middle name?

We'll probably wind up naming our babe during the first week rather than at birth -- a familiar situation.  I'm sort of hoping a name will become apparent when the time is right.  It will, won't it?

Best of luck to you all! 

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#8 of 44 Old 11-03-2011, 08:09 AM

We are about 90% on the first name.  We have nothing for a middle name.  Well, I have one that dh doesn't like, but he's got nothing to offer up in it's place so I'm waiting for another suggestion or for him to give in :)

#9 of 44 Old 11-03-2011, 08:17 AM

Also, does anyone have an opinion on the initials E.M.S. for a boy?

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#10 of 44 Old 11-03-2011, 09:05 AM

Our boy's name has been picked out since before conception, lol. His name is Elliott Wilford. The only thing we had to try to agree on was the spelling (I liked Elliot, he liked Elliott)... we picked 2 T's because it had the best name numerology :)

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#11 of 44 Old 11-03-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius View Post

We finally do.  I am so happy!  Might change our minds again, but it's a relief.  Picking out a 5th girl's name is not easy for us.

Is everyone else set?  Anyone still deciding?  Anyone waiting to meet your LO before picking it out?

Wow! For me, picking out a 5th girls name would be easy since there are so many girls names that I love and so few boys names that I love. It would be harder for me to choose just one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin0919 View Post

We've been trying to decide between two boys' names but if this baby turns out to be a boy, I think we'll just have to decide on a name when we meet him. We WERE set on a girl's name but DH just threw another name into the mix that I really like so I guess we have two names no matter what. Our boy names are Henry Aaron and Oscar Dean and our girl names are Vera Louise and Sylvia Louise.

I LOVE all your names!

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#12 of 44 Old 11-03-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPai View Post

Still not settled on names.  My 5- & 7-yo DDs suggested Elliott for a boy a while ago and neither DP nor I have dismissed that idea.  Elliott Michael?  Atley Michael? What might nicknames be for those?

A fourth girl might be Emberley ... no idea what we'd use for a middle name?

We'll probably wind up naming our babe during the first week rather than at birth -- a familiar situation.  I'm sort of hoping a name will become apparent when the time is right.  It will, won't it?

Best of luck to you all! 

Quote:

Also, does anyone have an opinion on the initials E.M.S. for a boy?

Obviously, I love Elliott :-) What would be wrong with E.M.S. for initials?

#13 of 44 Old 11-03-2011, 10:08 AM

There's probably nothing wrong with E.M.S., SierraBella.  I thought of Emergency Medical Services, like you might see on an ambulance... That's not necessarily a bad thing - just an association.  I pick apart all of my name choices.

#14 of 44 Old 11-03-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:

There's probably nothing wrong with E.M.S., SierraBella.  I thought of Emergency Medical Services, like you might see on an ambulance... That's not necessarily a bad thing - just an association.  I pick apart all of my name choices.

Yeah... EMS wouldn't be a big deal to me. I consider initials too. Just make sure you don't do A.S.S. lol

#15 of 44 Old 11-03-2011, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Nope, no names.  And strangely, dh and I aren't even talking about it.  I am hoping for a flash of inspiration.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#16 of 44 Old 11-03-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:

That's what I think of too, but it's not a bad association.  

Our last name is so common, I've googled all of our potential names to make sure none of them are associated with a crazy person. :)  It sucks because there are several names that I like quite a bit that are "taken" by people that own the name too strongly, if that makes sense.  Pretty much any name we come up with will be shared with someone else - and that's fine, but sometimes a strong personality can dominate the name.

#17 of 44 Old 11-03-2011, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

I am not that way at all . . .there are very few names I truly love (which annoys me about myself), and then I want each girl to have a different-enough name.  Can't start with the same letter or sound too much alike, which is esp. tough because the names I like tend to sound the same!  Then we have to factor in that DH and I have very different tastes . . .makes it tough.

Also, with a girl I feel like she needs to have a somewhat unique name.  Not so with a boy-- for me, traditional is fine.  We were going to name the boy James William.  VERY simple.  Named after our dads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraBella View Post

Wow! For me, picking out a 5th girls name would be easy since there are so many girls names that I love and so few boys names that I love. It would be harder for me to choose just one!

Re: EMS, I would think nothing of those initials!  I didn't even get the association until someone pointed it out, and even then I don't think it's bad at all.  Completely neutral.

cwill, that is too bad . . .but if you LOVE, LOVE, LOVE a name, I say go for it.  By this point, I think there is no perfect name.

PS Love the names on this thread.  Thank you for sharing them!

Bennypai, I do, too (pick apart my names).  I was thinking of a possible (bad) nickname for the name we have, and my oldest told me "that's so old school-- no one teases that way."  She also asked me if I was looking for problems with names.  I AM.  :)  RE: middle name, I always pick a family name.  Our middle names for our already-born girls are Suzanne (from Susan), Rose, Clare, and Catherine. 

I love the names on this thread.  Thank you for sharing them!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#18 of 44 Old 11-03-2011, 08:17 PM

Eli Paul.

I love it. Hubby picked both names. 

We go for two syllable first names and one syllable middles names here. ;)

#19 of 44 Old 11-04-2011, 03:11 AM

We have Naomi Ruth, we may call her "Omi" ("oh-me") or "Naya" ("Nigh-ah") for short...we will just see what happens :-) If for some reason the ultrasounds were wrong and this baby is a boy it might be a while before he's named lol...we were really struggling over that...

#20 of 44 Old 11-04-2011, 04:37 AM

That's what we call our Naomi, too!  Omi.  Until she started calling herself Mimi and sometimes No'me (cute because she picked them :), now we use them all interchangeably.  Oh and Nipsi, too... but that's just a newborn nickname that stuck.  Naomi is a great name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMomma83 View Post

We have Naomi Ruth, we may call her "Omi" ("oh-me") or "Naya" ("Nigh-ah") for short...we will just see what happens :-) If for some reason the ultrasounds were wrong and this baby is a boy it might be a while before he's named lol...we were really struggling over that...

mama to four
eliza jane 7.07 :: henry cale 8.07 :: naomi penn 7.09 :: simon otto 12.11

#21 of 44 Old 11-04-2011, 07:37 AM

Dh and I had a really hard time agreeing on a name.
He shot down 99% of the names I like
I like Samantha, Isabella, Shauna,and Rhylynn.
Dh liked Emily and Jane.
The only name I don't hate that he doesn't hate is Bailey. We already have two names starting with b and I don't like the idea of naming the baby with a name I really dont love.

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#22 of 44 Old 11-04-2011, 12:23 PM

Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

#23 of 44 Old 11-04-2011, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the input, everyone.  :)  DP is still on the fence with Elliott.  And Emberley.    He says he's not "feeling them."  He has no other suggestions so far, though ...  help.gif

#24 of 44 Old 11-04-2011, 05:24 PM

I am having the hardest time deciding. It just seems like the first way I can screw my child up. DH and I chose Ella when we were dating, which was when it was a old name... before the name became popular. Now I'm sort of leaning towards Elsa instead because both DH and I are scandinavian and its a popular name in that region  which gives me warm fuzzies. Most other people really like Ella though. The other names on our list are Genevieve (DH Grandma's name), Charlotte (would call her Charly), and Bailey (DH not a huge fan). Her middle name will be Arlene for sure, because that is my amazing grandma's name.

#25 of 44 Old 11-04-2011, 07:21 PM

I think it's going to end up Maddox Indiana.... but other possibilities are Indiana Maddox, and Maddox Fowler... 

Maddox = my grandma who I adore's married last name

Indiana = born and raised and married

Fowler = Hubby's grandfather's last name who passed away last year

Mizelenius likes this.

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#26 of 44 Old 11-15-2011, 11:30 AM

We haven't chosen a name yet.  I had one I just KNEW was the one, and DH shot it down immediately.  All of the others that I like he feels very 'meh' about, and the ones he likes I feel 'meh' about, so we haven't talked about it in awhile.  I'm still collecting potential names.  We may go to the hospital with a list that we can at least both agree on, and choose one after the baby is born. 

I like Hardin, but I can think of a very unfortunate nickname that could result from it.  What does everyone else think?

#27 of 44 Old 11-15-2011, 01:14 PM

DH has a name... does that count? lol. He is totally set on the name he wants- Tenley. I like it, but it's not my favorite. I would prefer Harper, or Addelyn/Addison. Somehow I think he's going to end up winning though, and I haven't quite figured out how that works! lol It doesn't seem fair. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#28 of 44 Old 11-15-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflyblue View Post

I like Hardin, but I can think of a very unfortunate nickname that could result from it.  What does everyone else think?

The potential nickname that I can think of with that name (Hardin = hard on) would be enough for me not to use it! It's like being named Dick or BJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

DH has a name... does that count? lol. He is totally set on the name he wants- Tenley. I like it, but it's not my favorite. I would prefer Harper, or Addelyn/Addison. Somehow I think he's going to end up winning though, and I haven't quite figured out how that works! lol It doesn't seem fair. 

I love Harper, that gets my vote!

#29 of 44 Old 11-15-2011, 03:45 PM

I am happy to announce that I won out in the boy name stand-off with DH! He liked Henry Aaron and I liked Oscar Dean and it just didn't seem like either one of us was going to budge. But last week, DH was talking about some hypothetical situation where he'd be talking to the baby(who would then be a child) and he referred to him as Oscar! I'm so excited that I get the name I want! I told DH that it just feels like that's his name. We don't know for sure that it's a boy, but I just feel like it is. And when DH brought up the name Oscar(that's right, it was his idea even!) I just KNEW that was this baby's name. I felt the same way when we picked Lucy as DD's name. I knew she was a girl before we found out and when the name Lucy came up, I just knew it was her name. Now that we've settled on a name that feels like the right one, I'm even more anxious to meet our little Oscar!

Wife to DH stillheart.gif 08/09 and SAHM to DD 09/08 and DS 11/11

Surprise! Expecting #3 Nov. 2013!
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36 yikes2.gif **40

#30 of 44 Old 11-15-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

Nope, no names.  And strangely, dh and I aren't even talking about it.  I am hoping for a flash of inspiration.  

Yup, this.  No flipping clue what this baby will be named.  He/she never even got a pregnancy nickname!  I'm chalking it up to "third child syndrome".  Baby, I promise I love you, I just don't know what to call you ;-)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page