GBS stress. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 11-05-2011, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I haven't been stressed out about this pregnancy until now. i'm so paranoid my GBS will come up positive... I feel like it's the one thing standing in the way of the birth I want. Anyone else?

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#2 of 17 Old 11-05-2011, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I was a bit stressed out about it until my midwife told me that if I'm positive, I can get a prescription for an IV and she can give me antibiotics at home. This is a new development since I was positive when I had DS (I had to go to the hospital to get the IV, and transitioned in the car on the way home) Do you know what would happen if you were positive? It might not be as bad as you think?

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#3 of 17 Old 11-05-2011, 07:15 PM

I forget when they usually test you.  I keep forgetting to ask at my appointments.

#4 of 17 Old 11-05-2011, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I believe it's around 36 weeks. 

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#5 of 17 Old 11-05-2011, 07:46 PM

Usually around 36 weeks.

I did mine this week, though, at not quite 34 weeks since my next appt will likely be my home visit, then I will be 37 weeks at my next appt and I tend to go a bit early.

I've never tested positive before and both my midwife and myself are totally fine not treating it if my birth is liky my others where from water breaking to birth was less than 5 minutes- so I'm not really worried.

CPST, LLL and Mom to a 9yr old animal lovin' girl, 6yr old wild man,  4 yr old cuddle bug and 1 year old "little brother."

Now we are growing the family with chickens, ducks, and dairy goats.

#6 of 17 Old 11-05-2011, 08:10 PM

I get my results for ours at my next appt on Tuesday. We're about 95% sure we'll decline the antibiotics anyways even if I do come up positive, but it's still nerve wracking, and in my case, it's already a hospital birth anyways, so I imagine moreso if a homebirth is at risk by testing positive. 

All I can really suggest is do your research and if you want to decline the antibiotics (or ask about it being done as an IM injection instead, apparently some will do that!) have research to back it up and show your provider. If you make it clear that you've thought it out, maybe they'll be more understanding and flexible. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#7 of 17 Old 11-06-2011, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It is too late for me now because with DS I had a preterm birth prior to being tested for GBS and with this baby since I was technically in labor at 29 weeks and expected to deliver that night, I also had the antibiotics without the GBS test.  Both were negative anyhow but I stayed on the IV for maybe 48 hours until we found that out.  Anyhow, I am just wondering...is there something particularly bad about the antibiotics that they use for GBS?  Reasons to decline even if one were GBS positive?  I know I can't go back and change it now but would like to know on the very off chance that I would have another baby.  I was always under the impression that baby getting GBS was really bad so I never thought to decline until now.

#8 of 17 Old 11-06-2011, 08:24 AM

There's nothing supremely dangerous about the antibiotics themselves. For me, it's primarily the necessity to be at the hospital as soon as labor starts, and to be hooked up to an IV (or at least a lock) for the entire labor. I'm terrified of needles, and for me, I'm almost positive that would stall my labor. Needles and IV's throw me into panic attacks.

The research I've done also suggests that babies who contract GBS after having the antibiotics tend to get a worse case. Also, there's the idea of dosing the baby with a very large dose of antibiotics in the hospital setting- it can weaken their immune system right when they need it the most. There's more details to all of that, but that's the summary. Like I said- for me the big push against it is how much it would disrupt my labor. I feel like the number of babies it protects is not worth the possible complications -for me-. 

That said, if I test positive, and we start to notice risk factors AS WELL, (fever, prolonged rupture of membranes, etc), then I will most likely choose to do the antibiotics at that point. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#9 of 17 Old 11-06-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

There's nothing supremely dangerous about the antibiotics themselves. For me, it's primarily the necessity to be at the hospital as soon as labor starts, and to be hooked up to an IV (or at least a lock) for the entire labor. I'm terrified of needles, and for me, I'm almost positive that would stall my labor. Needles and IV's throw me into panic attacks.

The research I've done also suggests that babies who contract GBS after having the antibiotics tend to get a worse case. Also, there's the idea of dosing the baby with a very large dose of antibiotics in the hospital setting- it can weaken their immune system right when they need it the most. There's more details to all of that, but that's the summary. Like I said- for me the big push against it is how much it would disrupt my labor. I feel like the number of babies it protects is not worth the possible complications -for me-. 

That said, if I test positive, and we start to notice risk factors AS WELL, (fever, prolonged rupture of membranes, etc), then I will most likely choose to do the antibiotics at that point. 

With my first, I did test positive for GBS, and having the antibiotics was one of the worst parts of labor for me!  I am also terrified of needles, and the needle they used at home hurt so much!  But at least it didn't interfere with my ability to labor at home with my midwife.

With my second, I tested negative, which was a huge relief:)  I know there are supplements/ certain foods that will help to balance the bacteria levels in your body too.  I can't remember everything but there's garlic, and probiotics.  I really need to look that up again!

With this pregnancy, I decided to decline the testing at all.  I am unlikely to have any of the risk factors, and that's the only way that I would take the antibiotics at this point.  I live in Canada, so I'm not sure if the rules are the same as the US.  But my Dr told me that unless I plan on having the antibiotics, there's no point in getting the GBS test done at all.  The hospital policy for an untested woman would be to give the antibiotics ONLY if there were risk factors during labor which is great with me:)

#10 of 17 Old 11-06-2011, 08:12 PM

My midwife's protocol for someone who is GBS is to do a hibiclens rinse at onset of labor OR releasing of membranes (whichever comes first) and then every 6 hours after that. The advice from our natural childbirth class instructor was that the night before we get tested for GBS, we put a whole, unwrapped garlic clove in our vaginas (I've read that some people wrap it in a piece of gauze tied with a long piece of dental floss to make retrieval easier) - garlic has anti-bacterial properties and can kill the strep, thus preventing the whole testing GBS-positive thing in the first place.

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#11 of 17 Old 11-07-2011, 09:55 AM

jeninejessica-I just had a similar conversation with a friend of mine who had a midwife hospital birth. I'm having my GBS test done today and she commented how that was the last big hurdle in her mind for getting the birth plan laid out so she could stay home as long as possible and the realization that with my hb mw, if I'm positive they'll just bring the IV antibiotics with them when I'm in labor and it doesn't change much. Now-it occurred to us after wards by talking with her MW, that she would have been willing to have my friend come in, in early/active labor to get a dose in triage and then send her back home or "walking" till she was ready to check in to the hospital, at which point they'd reassess timing wise etc... if she needed another dose. If you'd be comfortable with extra pricks (I know it doesn't really solve the needle phobia) this might be a good compromise if you are GBS+

#12 of 17 Old 11-07-2011, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremamaheather View Post

garlic has anti-bacterial properties and can kill the strep, thus preventing the whole testing GBS-positive thing in the first place.

So does it actually cause the GBS to be negative or just prevent a person from testing positive? 

#13 of 17 Old 11-07-2011, 11:48 AM

She said it kills the strep, not that it masks it - it's not a cheat kinda thing, it gets rid of it so that you won't test positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post

So does it actually cause the GBS to be negative or just prevent a person from testing positive? 

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#14 of 17 Old 11-08-2011, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

My issues are this:

I get strep a LOT so I've been on a lot of antibiotics  over the past two years. I hate the idea of taking antibtiocs yet again, especially for something that most likely isn't going to be an issue

I'm concerned about thrush afterwards because of the antibiotics

I'm concerned about lack of mobility and getting the completely natural birth I want... once the IV is in, it makes it much easier for them to give pit, etc. 

I also have an issue with the idea of testing at 36 weeks, when the state of the vagina can change. GBS can be there one day, and not the next. 

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#15 of 17 Old 11-08-2011, 01:37 PM

yes yes mamaecho! All of that. 

I got our results today though, and it was neg, which is such a relief! DH said he was sooo tempted to make a joke though when she gave us the negative results, and just be like... "you mean, today though. Because her status today, really has no bearing on her status in three weeks, or a month..." Which is so true... 

#16 of 17 Old 11-08-2011, 01:44 PM

My midwife recommends taking probiotics. In her practice the moms who take probiotics leading up to the test have all tested negative for GBS. It's a good thing for us and much easier than antibiotics.

DS#1 1/05, DS#2 4/07, DD 12/11  homebirth.jpgcd.gif

#17 of 17 Old 11-14-2011, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post

I'm concerned about lack of mobility and getting the completely natural birth I want... once the IV is in, it makes it much easier for them to give pit, etc. 

My OB/CNM said I would be able to do a hep-lock, and would only need to be tied to the IV line for the amount of time it took to actually administer the antibiotic. Would that be a possibility for you? (I am not concerned about them giving me "extra" stuff as I do fully intend to have DH monitor IV additives closely and intervene if they try for anything but a required antibiotic - assuming I test positive, ofc.)

Increased risk of thrush sucks. =/ But... while the odds are so, so low.... the consequences are severe. I fight pretty hard over a lot of things but if I test GBS+ I don't think I'll fight the antibiotic. =/

Still hoping for a negative result, I'll find out Weds. >.>

ETA: Results in, negative here! How did your test go, OP? =)

Just a homegrown heretic hopelessly in love with her amazing DH, 2.5 year old Eli, and now expecting a new arrival April 2015.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page