bottles at night? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 11-09-2011, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I have a three year old son who I breastfeed up until almost 2 years old and I fed him on demand all day and night for a long time leading to total sleep deprivation. Our second is due this December and I'm going to breastfeed her as well but I want to pump and give her bottles at night once her latch is well established. I'm hoping this will allow her to sleep in longer stretches, and me too....Has anyone done this?  I'm interested in understanding the logistics. For example, when did you pump? Did you warm the bottle before giving it to baby? How old was your baby when you started, etc....

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 11-09-2011, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I would totally think through this.  I wouldn't recommend it.  Seems like you will be compromising your milk supply AND getting less sleep (you'll need to pump at night ideally to insure better milk supply) and then physically be UP to feed baby the bottle(s).  Way more work and time awake than rolling over half asleep to latch baby on...and it doesn't insure longer stretches for either of you.  My 2 cents ;) 

DS1 2/08, DD 1/10, DS2 12/11...#4 due October 2014
Home schooling, home birthing, breastfeeding, bed sharing family!

#3 of 19 Old 11-09-2011, 10:03 PM

I haven't done this, but wanted to add my two cents. ;) Take it with a grain of salt.

If you pump and are giving her breast milk from the bottle instead of from your breast, isn't she still going to eat the same amount? She'll wake when she gets hungry again, right? Why not just pop her on the boob and then ease her off when she's done nursing. It seems like pumping, getting up out of bed to get pumped milk, dealing with warming the milk, etc. is going to add to sleep deprivation instead of taking it away. Unless your hubby is willing to do bottles at night, then that is a totally different story...? But, then won't you need to still pump at night to keep your supply up? Not meaning to come across as nasty, this is all said in love. ;)

#4 of 19 Old 11-09-2011, 10:04 PM

I replied at the same time as Ashlee. We have the same thoughts...

#5 of 19 Old 11-09-2011, 11:02 PM

Yeah, that sounds like way too much work. I believe in making life with a newborn as uncomplicated as possible....basically, I'm kinda lazyorngtongue.gif.  My advice would be to find ways to minimize your sleep disruption while nursing. Cosleep. Do whatever you need to in order to feel comfortable. We had bedrails on our bed for a very long time. It wasn't the most attractive thing in the room but it reassured me that my dd was safe and wouldn't fall out of bed while I slept. Both of my babies latched and unlatched themselves throughout the night at will. I slept through most of it, occasionally waking just enough to move the baby to the other side, or roll over or whatever. You definitely don't have to sit up for every feeding.

It seems to me that the hassle of pumping, then storing the milk, then getting out of bed to retrieve it, defeats the purpose. Even if your dh is willing to take a nighttime feeding and let you sleep through it, the baby will probably be crying while he warms and preps the bottle and if you're anything like me you'll wake up anyway and won't be able to sleep well until the baby is calmed. I can see having a few bottles of pumped milk on hand as being useful for a wide variety of situations, but I don't think doing it every night is going to save you any sleep in the long run.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#6 of 19 Old 11-09-2011, 11:40 PM

I had to bottlefeed my 2nd (and pump) against my will.  She had a very weak suck, wasn't gaining, etc. so to get her to gain weight, we had to bottlefeed her for the first 6 weeks.  It was awful.  I could not understand why anyone would choose that . . .oh, and a few times at first, my milk supply had dwindled due to her poor suck, so we had to giver her formula.  She did not sleep any longer, contrary to what everyone says.

I pumped/gave my 1st child bottles once a week when I went to school at night, so I was not new to pumping.

This is what happens when I nurse at night . . .wake up, don't get out of bed, no one else wakes up, feed the baby, and I can just sort of sit there.  (I no longer lie down to nurse at night . . .I can never sleep through it and they tend to wake up more if they associate me lying down nursing with lying down, if that makes sense.)  Sometimes I doze, sometimes I watch TV (in the early weeks).  Relaxing.

Bottle?  Get OUT of bed, baby is crying, have to heat it up . . .very tired . . .hold the baby, then go back to bed. 

Now, one thing to consider is, down the road . . .nightweaning.   I do it at about 18 months.  I feed on demand all day, but at some point, the kitchen closes at night and we just sleep together.  Saves my sanity and the kids have always started sleeping 100% better . . .yet the cuddling is still there.

Some people can totally sleep through nursing sessions.  I envy them!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#7 of 19 Old 11-10-2011, 05:24 AM

I'm another person (who from semi-experience) can attest to it being way more exhausting! Even with my second (formula fed from 5mos or so) it was such a mission having to make the bottle and then hold it for him and he would get so wound up by the time it was ready for him that it would take him longer to back to sleep etc etc...plus, even if DH fed him I could still hear them and it kept me up. And yes, to maintain supply you would need to pump during the feedings...I think if you can have baby sleep in your bed or right next to your bed and breastfeed that will be the best way to get rest....also you can involve your DH/DP by having him get up and bring baby to you, and/or burp baby and/or change baby's diaper...I found by having my DH help with that, we kind of got equal duty and sleep.  :-)

#8 of 19 Old 11-10-2011, 11:23 AM

Making formula at night seems  way more exhausting then just getting the baby on the breast. But then I am planning on having the playpen/bassinet next to my bed and co-sleeping.

Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

#9 of 19 Old 11-10-2011, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, I really didn't expect these answers! I totally see what you all are saying and I think I am going to give it some more thought for sure. Thanks mamas!

#10 of 19 Old 11-10-2011, 01:36 PM

Will you be feeding on demand during the day?

I don't know if it works in reverse, but I know in my experience with pumping and bottlefeeding during the day while I'm at work, my l.o.'s tend to reverse cycle, so at times it literally felt like they were nursing All.Night.Long.  So perhaps she would sleep longer stretches during the night (though I don't actually know if that's true), but she may make up for it during the day, and I'm not sure that would be any better...and I would still be worried about the things pp's brought up--reduced milk supply, still not getting enough sleep because of the demands of pumping and bottlefeeding, etc.

#11 of 19 Old 11-10-2011, 04:21 PM

I have heard that at night time breast milk has its highest concentration of fat. It would seem to me to be an important time to nurse.

#12 of 19 Old 11-10-2011, 07:10 PM

i agree

Nighttime milk is different than daytime

it would compomise both the nursing relationship and your supply

it would be way easier to pop a baby on a boob than deal with bottles at 3 am (or ever for that matter!) 

I would also attend LLL meetings if you can! They are a great resource

#13 of 19 Old 11-10-2011, 07:48 PM

"Milk contains a small whey protein called (Feedback Inhibitor of Lactation) or FIL. The role of FIL appears to be to slow milk production when the breast is full. Milk production slows when the breast is full and speeds up when the breast is emptier (and less FIL is present). The emptier the breast, the faster the rate of milk production. To speed up milk synthesis and increase daily milk production, a mother needs to remove more milk from the breast and do this effectively and frequently. Skipping pumping or nursing during the night only encourages FIL to hang around and consequently decreases overall milk supply."

taken from http://lactinv.com/breastfeeding_qna.php?article=maintaining_your_milk_supply

So there is a real need to nurse at night in the beginning.  I can understand needing a new system so you can get more sleep - have you considered not co-sleeping?  or possibly co - sleeping for a few months or a year and then at least having a separate sleep space for baby?  My sisters kids were all - night long nursers and what finally fixed the problem was that she started sleeping on the couch!  Baby and Dad slept very well together, and when Mom wasnt there - baby didnt ask to be nursed.

And you never know, your new baby might be a 'good sleeper' !    You still need a solution to your question, i just dont think bottles at night are it!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#14 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 09:24 AM

I am going to have a slightly different view. I am not saying my view is right or wrong because every woman and baby are different. I was very blessed with plentiful milk. It seemed like I could produce milk whenever I needed and stop whenever I didn't. I am planning on with this baby keeping several bottles of milk frozen along with feedings. What I would do (and again this is just me), is pump some milk right after baby is done feeding (again I had enough for tripplets) and it wouldn't be a ton but doing that twice a day was enough for a feeding. I used a manual pump so it just took me 2 minutes or less to do this. Then I would store it. I would still breast feed on command at night, but every once in a while, and never more than once a night, I would nudge daddy to go feed baby. He warmed the milk and feed baby. I think it really helps with sanity, because even if you only do one time a night a 4 hour sleep stretch makes a huge difference vs. a 2 nap. Now I did not do this until about 6 weeks and I did not try to pump at all until about 4 weeks. This did not dry up my milk at all I could miss a feeding one night and then the next night you would never know. But you will just have to see what works for you, I hope you get through it and find something that helps you even a little. Good luck.

Student Mother  and Wife hang.gif 29 married to DH 31 jammin.gif since 03 Zoe Elizabeth Jane 4.75 energy.gif and Jace Aaron Edward 12/12/11 babyboy.gif

#15 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Zoe Jane's Mommy,

I was the same with supply with my first. I would spray across the room if I didn't have a strong breast pad and bra on. I had enough to feed an army. I will try your method. I wasn't planning on starting till later anyway, want to establish a good routine and supply. But who knows, she isn't even born yet..she might be a better sleeper than my son was, she might not have as good a latch as he did and I might not even be able to nurse which would be horrible so lemmie not get ahead of myself.

Thanks mamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeJane'sMommy View Post

I am going to have a slightly different view. I am not saying my view is right or wrong because every woman and baby are different. I was very blessed with plentiful milk. It seemed like I could produce milk whenever I needed and stop whenever I didn't. I am planning on with this baby keeping several bottles of milk frozen along with feedings. What I would do (and again this is just me), is pump some milk right after baby is done feeding (again I had enough for tripplets) and it wouldn't be a ton but doing that twice a day was enough for a feeding. I used a manual pump so it just took me 2 minutes or less to do this. Then I would store it. I would still breast feed on command at night, but every once in a while, and never more than once a night, I would nudge daddy to go feed baby. He warmed the milk and feed baby. I think it really helps with sanity, because even if you only do one time a night a 4 hour sleep stretch makes a huge difference vs. a 2 nap. Now I did not do this until about 6 weeks and I did not try to pump at all until about 4 weeks. This did not dry up my milk at all I could miss a feeding one night and then the next night you would never know. But you will just have to see what works for you, I hope you get through it and find something that helps you even a little. Good luck.

#16 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 08:26 PM

Thanks for clarifying - I don't *think* anyone was saying that you'd dry up skipping one feeding occasionally. The OP seemed to have meant no night nursing at all and that's where the concern lied. However, clarification is ALWAYS good :) And this is an interesting idea! I want to stress the part that you said you did not until 6 weeks and no pumping until 4... those numbers are a little low according to LLL, but important to note that it's not advised to do it from the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeJane'sMommy View Post

#17 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 09:02 PM

I want to add one more thing .  . .each child is so different.  My last 2 would sleep 4 hour stretches as newborns, so I was very GLAD to nurse them and I got great sleep.  Eventually they slept less (then more again), but there is always a chance that you'll have a child who really likes to sleep. :)

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#18 of 19 Old 11-12-2011, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was never sleep deprived because I slept through a lot of our night time nursings.. just pop in the boob and go back to sleep. The times I had to get up for diaper changes were exhausting.. I didn't see how anyone would choose to get out of bed to feed, lol.

I don't want to repeat what everyone else has said, but they're all right about fat/supply/etc. Just with my personal experience, it is so much easier to just nurse at night, especially if co-sleeping.

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#19 of 19 Old 11-14-2011, 07:13 AM

It is much easier to feel at night with co sleeping, and we did with the first. She sleep between us until she was 2! But I when I would wake up to feed her I was so exhausted that I thought I would fall asleep and roll over on her so I was wide awake during feedings even in bed. But this time we splurged and got an actually co-sleeper that attaches to the bed so i will still have to pick him up and move her to me, but atleast I know I will not be able to roll over on him, maybe I will sleep better this time. And like several have said, some babies just sleep more than others. I know my sister in law's first boy was sleeping 6 hours straight at night from 10 weeks old....................lucky dog. I am hoping for a better sleeper this time. I know you will find something that works for you guys and if you don't hay it was all worth it!!

Student Mother  and Wife hang.gif 29 married to DH 31 jammin.gif since 03 Zoe Elizabeth Jane 4.75 energy.gif and Jace Aaron Edward 12/12/11 babyboy.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page