Water birth questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-12-2011, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am planning my first waterbirth and was wondering if any of you had any words of wisdom to offer? I also wanted to know if I could line my birth tub with some plastic from the hardware store or if I need to buy a specific liner for my tub. I have the la bassine tub. The liners are expensive and I am just wondering how necessary they really are. If I dont use one, how can I clean out my tub easily? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 07:12 PM

I had a waterbirth at home in September. I had also wondered about the lining and if I could get the cheap one on yourwaterbirth.org and was told (by someone in the midwife's office) that it was generic and wouldn't fit snugly inside the tub.  If you are renting the tub, I would recommend getting the expensive lining (stinks, I know) because it will fit snug and tightly inside the tub so the tub won't get soiled. The lining we used was so snug I didn't even notice it during labor.

Some tips:

Have a fan!! I got pretty hot and sweaty in the tub and the cool air blowing felt amazing!

My birth assistant used cool washcloths on my forehead and back of the neck during contractions. Also felt amazing.

Looooong before you go into labor, make 100% sure that you are able to fill the tub when you need to. Such as having the correct adapter to connect your water source to the tub. A friend of mine said this was the most complicated part of her set-up and it took forever to find the correct adapter. (For us, we got this $2 adapter from Home Depot. DH just asked an employee for something to connect a shower to a hose, and the employee knew exactly where it was. It worked perfectly for us.) 

This is super important (we had to buy the tub because it was "damaged"): If you are renting, CLOSELY examine the entire tub for any leaks, scratches, marks, ANYTHING. Take pictures or tell the person you're renting from that there is damage. Otherwise it's your word against theirs if there is damage and you might have to pay for a replacement.

That's all I can think of for now! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Old 11-12-2011, 08:20 PM

I had a waterbirth and we purchased the special $30 liner that was supposed to fit the tub. We did a test run filling up the tub and I hated the liner, it had a seam that ran right down the middle. My husband ended up making one out of a roll of 6mil polythelene plastic we had (we also used it to wrap the mattress with) and it worked great. I'm sure a 4 or 5mil thickness would have been fine too. As long as you smooth it out while you're filling the tub it will fit like a glove. I think the entire roll was in the $20 range at OSH and it probably only took 1/5th of it to line the tub. He wrapped the outside with tape just to keep it kind of contained. It didn't leak at all and our midwife said she was going to start recommending the same thing to her other clients.

This picture was before we filled the tub which smashed down and smoothed the liner, and before we wrapped tape around the outside:

020.JPG

Old 11-17-2011, 04:58 PM

I had one three years ago and am having one again this time. They are the BEST...contractions are so much less painful in water. I didn't use a liner then and am not using one now. We just buy cheap blow up pools from birthingwithlove.com and they have nice cushiony sides to rest your back on. We use a "python" drain, bought online through a pet store to fill and drain the tub. I second the fan idea, and have nice towels to wrap yourself in after when it's time to get out..have multiple outfits on hand to because as you get in and out during labor you'll want dry clothes to change into.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

all good things to know!

Old 11-23-2011, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Also, do a test run of filling the tub -- fill it and empty it before you're actually going to use it. We learned that our hot water heater only runs warm/hot water for 20 minutes, then runs out. So in our test run, we realized that we would need several hours, and a system of timers, to actually get the tub filled when I was i labor. It was great to know because I began to fill it as soon as I was in active labor. We filled it with hot water, knowing it would cool down by the time I was ready to get in -- and also, it's always easy to add more cold water. I assume you'll have an underwater thermometer to get the right temp.

User Tag List