Blood pressure...advice please :S - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 11-22-2011, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OK so we bought a $10 blood pressure cuff from Walmart today, and just took my blood pressure and it was 160/110. (My husband did it and he's never done it before so I did it again and got 152/120.) That's really bad, isn't it?! My mom had high blood pressure with her last, so I was taking her BP a lot. I'll probably take it again in a little bit...but it's sort of freaking me out right now. I haven't had my BP taken since July and it was really good back then. I don't have headaches, but my feet do get swollen. Any advice?? :S

in love with and married to my best friend ♥ snuggling my baby girl Ari Grace, 12-4-11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 32 Old 11-22-2011, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Increase your protein, salt to taste (make sure you're getting ENOUGH), and drink lots of water!  Also, make sure you're in your calmest state before/while taking your BP :)  An easy way to increase protein is to buy the "Naked" brand protein smoothies (or make your own with whey protein and fruits).  

DS1 2/08, DD 1/10, DS2 12/11...#4 due October 2014
Home schooling, home birthing, breastfeeding, bed sharing family!

#3 of 32 Old 11-22-2011, 09:06 PM

Sit still for a little while (10-15 minutes) and try to relax a bit before taking it again. Take deep slow breaths while you take it, to help yourself stay relaxed. And if you took it both times on the same arm last time, try the other one next time. Do it on your bare arm, not over clothes. Try not to freak out about it, because that will send your BP higher. Try it at a couple of different times tomorrow too - your BP is different at different times of the day.

If it's still high after trying all of that, I would call your provider.

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#4 of 32 Old 11-22-2011, 09:11 PM

And a great big yes to all this too. I've heard recommendations for protein amounts be anywhere from 70-90g each day.

Another easy way to increase protein intake is to eat bars for snacks - the Builders bars by Clif bar have 20g and so do the thinkThin bars (and less sugar than the Builders bars). Both are available at both Trader Joes and Whole Foods, and may be elsewhere, I'm not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleeS View Post

Increase your protein, salt to taste (make sure you're getting ENOUGH), and drink lots of water!  Also, make sure you're in your calmest state before/while taking your BP :)  An easy way to increase protein is to buy the "Naked" brand protein smoothies (or make your own with whey protein and fruits).  

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#5 of 32 Old 11-22-2011, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

That is really high. If it doesn't come down tonight I would definitely be seen in the morning.  Pre-eclampsia isn't anything to mess around with and I would want to find out if there was protein in my urine.  Good luck. I hope it ends up just being a fluke. 

#6 of 32 Old 11-22-2011, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

I think the cuff is inaccurate, which makes MUCH more sense. We just took it again, and it was outrageously high. We took my husband's, and it said his was 180/120! And he found if he moved the bulb in a certain way, the needle went up and down. Soooo yeah...I think the cuff has problems.

in love with and married to my best friend ♥ snuggling my baby girl Ari Grace, 12-4-11

#7 of 32 Old 11-22-2011, 11:11 PM

Please call your provider.  High blood pressure plus the chest pains and one-sided swelling you mentioned in the other thread are worrisome signs. 

#8 of 32 Old 11-22-2011, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure the chest pain is costochondritis. My mom also swelled worse on one foot than the other...

I don't have a provider right now either (long and extremely frustrating story) but I just got my records to someone today so hopefully I'll have an appointment next week.

#9 of 32 Old 11-22-2011, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What about going to a CVS or something and double checking on their machine?

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#10 of 32 Old 11-22-2011, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

That's a good idea. We were just at Walmart earlier...I shoulda checked it then :-/ (but I didn't think I'd need to cuz I got the cuff!) I'm pretty sure it's a mistake tho if BOTH our blood pressures were that high...we had been laying down relaxing for almost an hour before!

#11 of 32 Old 11-22-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademomma View Post

What about going to a CVS or something and double checking on their machine?

yeahthat.gif I think I might try that, just to double check that it's the cuff that's wonky.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#12 of 32 Old 11-23-2011, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I have a cuff at home, and it's always a little higher than the one at the midwives office. The instructions say to wait at least 5 minutes between readings on the same person (I suppose to allow blood flow to return to normal) My midwife told me that blood pressure rises as the day goes on, so to only test in the morning... I was getting mid-eighties for the lower number at bedtime though, which is high-normal. I was just freaking myself out because I got high blood pressure when I was pregnant with DD. CVS or Walmart is a good idea... it sounds like you got a faulty cuff, since your DH's reading was high too.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#13 of 32 Old 11-23-2011, 06:47 AM

A $10 Walmart cuff isn't much better than the toy ones they used to put in Fisher Price sets.   Get it taken with a professional cuff.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#14 of 32 Old 11-23-2011, 07:12 AM

I'm DDC crashing from Jan., but I also want to urge you to please go in and get it checked out with a clinician.

I have a good friend who had a stroke while pregnant and blood pressure isn't something to mess around with.  I don't mean to scare you, but go get a real baseline and see where you are and then start thinking about protein intake and all of that if it doesn't require immediate attention. 

I'm obsessive about my protein take, but I know that new research is showing that protein isn't as closely related to pre-E as we once thought it was.  Anyway, please go see someone. 

Healthcare is a human right!
#15 of 32 Old 11-23-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylemama View Post

I'm DDC crashing from Jan., but I also want to urge you to please go in and get it checked out with a clinician.

I have a good friend who had a stroke while pregnant and blood pressure isn't something to mess around with.  I don't mean to scare you, but go get a real baseline and see where you are and then start thinking about protein intake and all of that if it doesn't require immediate attention. 

I'm obsessive about my protein take, but I know that new research is showing that protein isn't as closely related to pre-E as we once thought it was.  Anyway, please go see someone. 

^^^This.  It sounds like the cuff is just faulty, but this really isn't something you should wait on.  If you call whoever you transferred your records to and tell them you're concerned about your blood pressure, they will almost certainly fit you in today.  Care providers tend to take high blood pressure at this stage in pregnancy very seriously.

#16 of 32 Old 11-23-2011, 09:55 AM

Go get checked ASAP by your HCP, not a walmart or CVS cuff (those aren't always so accurate either). Even if the cuff is wrong, better safe than sorry! If your BP is really up, you need to get going on a 24 hour urine test to measure your protein and get some blood tests to check your liver & kidneys. Pre-e can get so bad so fast it's nothing to wait on at all.

I was diagnosed with Pre-e at 29 weeks (am 35 now) and have been lucky to keep it under control so far with medication and VERY close & careful monitoring.

ETA that I had NO symptoms (headaches, swelling, etc) when I was diagnosed, I was just lucky to have been doing regular 24 hour urine tests throughout the pregnancy so as soon as it developed it was caught. But anyway, don't go by how you feel... that can be very misleading.

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#17 of 32 Old 11-23-2011, 10:23 AM

i'd go to hospital if it were me and it were at all possible.  that's nothing to screw around with, at all.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#18 of 32 Old 11-23-2011, 12:01 PM

I would go the ER if at all possible. Do you have an immediate care clinic near you?

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#19 of 32 Old 11-23-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure...I'll see what I can do. I have another question tho, are there symptoms of high blood pressure? I know my mom felt jittery and tense...

#20 of 32 Old 11-23-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLamb View Post

I'm not sure...I'll see what I can do. I have another question tho, are there symptoms of high blood pressure? I know my mom felt jittery and tense...

High blood pressure often has no symptoms.  Pretty much everyone I know with high blood pressure didn't know they had it until they had it measured.  But some people have headaches, blurred vision, or nausea.  Usually, blood pressure has to be ridiculously high to get to this point.  I've never heard of people feeling tense, but I'm sure it's possible.

If you're able to get into the doctor you can bring your cuff with you and they can calibrate it to their machine and make sure you know how to use it properly.  Please call.  Like Vermillion said, it can progress really quickly.

#21 of 32 Old 11-23-2011, 05:24 PM

Get your booty to a Dr., lady! OK??

Hugs!

#22 of 32 Old 11-23-2011, 06:22 PM

My friend who had the stroke had absolutely no symptoms until she was having the stroke.  She knew she was having it because she's a clinician.  She was not overweight (probably under, actually), ate a great diet, took good care of herself, etc., etc.  Please go in.

Healthcare is a human right!
#23 of 32 Old 11-27-2011, 10:45 PM

Oh my goodness . . .I bet just worrying about this is increasing your blood pressure! 

I think if you go to CVS, even if not 100% accurate, would give you an idea if your home score is way off or not. 

There must be some reason you bought the home version! 

I'd call a pro-- they'd see you right away!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#24 of 32 Old 11-27-2011, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

I took it on Thursday with my MIL's high-tech one, and it was high. Then I took it tonight (also with hers) and it was perfectly normal. Really good normal, actually. Still gonna see about going in on Tuesday tho.

#25 of 32 Old 11-28-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:

I took it on Thursday with my MIL's high-tech one, and it was high. Then I took it tonight (also with hers) and it was perfectly normal. Really good normal, actually. Still gonna see about going in on Tuesday tho.

Definitely get it checked out still! My BP (even before going on meds) had really good days, and then pretty high days. It was really all over the place. As a matter of fact, the day my 24 hour protein came back high enough for my pre-e diagnosis, by BP was really good for me! The BP isn't the most important part of the picture here... you'll need to have your protein checked and probably some labs too. I said it before but I'll say it again because it's really important... Pre-e can go from mild and stable to severe and life threatening SO quick, so pleeeeease don't sit on it too long. If it's nothing, FANTASTIC! But if it is something, you don't want to have major regret later!!!

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#26 of 32 Old 11-28-2011, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

I'm going to call the dr today. They were SUPPOSED to call me but so far anyone I've tried to get in to see has been flaky...lol...

#27 of 32 Old 11-28-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:

I'm going to call the dr today. They were SUPPOSED to call me but so far anyone I've tried to get in to see has been flaky...lol...

Ugh!  That is not right!  I wish people would just do their job and follow through!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#28 of 32 Old 11-28-2011, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

I know!! >< I'm so weary of trying to find dr's. I did call them and have an appointment for tomorrow morning which is good!! I just hope it's a good dr and I don't have to try to find ANOTHER. ><

#29 of 32 Old 11-28-2011, 07:47 PM

Good luck!!! Sending lots of good thoughts that all goes well!!!

#30 of 32 Old 11-28-2011, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page