Let´s talk induction - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 11-25-2011, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi there, 

I gave up. My pelvic problems are so bad now, that I can barely move, I cannot do any housework and not care for the kids. I will not be able to drive a car much longer, since I get this shooting pains will sitting and driving, it´s just not safe. 

I don´t have any help around here, but my Mom agreed to come to help out next week, but she won´t be able to stay much longer than 1 week. 

We decided to have an induction next week. I am all planned and set up for monday. I am scared though. And feeling guilty for not being able to let nature have it´s course. Maybe the little one will decide to just show up on the weekend :) 

How is everybody else feeling?

Trin with DH , DD(7)  and DS(5) ,  DD(2) ,
I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...
#2 of 29 Old 11-25-2011, 05:00 AM

I realized last night that all of my pelvis pain has actually done some work.  I attempted to put on a pair of tights that I easily wore to an event 2 weeks ago, and I could not pull them up much past my knees.  There just no more stretch.  I gave up and wore leggings and no socks to Thanksgiving dinner on a snowy evening.

Today my pelvis is [FINALLY!] feeling much better.  (See the feeling icky thread for my rants on pregnancy symptoms...)  I hope this is its final expansion, because I couldn't take that stinging, aching feeling again ... This is my fourth pregnancy and the worst pelvis pain I've experienced. Thank goodness for stretch pants and leggings!!!

*It is not recommended to induce labor prior to 39 or 40 weeks.  I never try labor-inducing methods prior to 40/41 weeks because my babes just aren't completely finished cooking at that point.  I sped things up just a couple of days for my first labor, and my DD had a valve/flap in her heart that wasn't quite closed.  It caused an innocent murmur that went away in a couple of days and didn't cause any health issues, but she did have to endure a lot of tests and extra procedures at the hospital.  greensad.gif  I still feel guilty about that.

I tend to carry my babies at least a week and a half past my EDD, so I've tried lots of induction techniques, but never pitocin, as I worry that I won't be able to handle the pain of contractions that are stronger than my body would produce.

Natural Induction Techniques I've tried

There are lots of things you could try to get things moving along.  You may already know of them (I see you have two other kiddos) but I'll list a few:

Acupressure:  *My chiropractor tells me this is best to start a couple of weeks ahead of your EDD to be effective.  Still, worth a try.

Here are some links to videos on labor-inducing acupressure points:

acupressure to induce labor (this video covers leg and foot points)

Acupressure Points on the hand 

Acupressure Points on the shoulder/back 

Sex to Induce Labor

Quote:
Semen contains prostaglandins. Prostaglandins cause the cervix to "ripen", or soften and prepare to open. While it is debatable whether there are enough prostaglandins in semen to have any real effect, it is not a terrible way to keep hope alive and while away the last weeks of your pregnancy. Another great side effect is the fact that orgasms produce oxytocin, the hormone that causes contractions. So, between the two, there is a pretty good case for the cure for pregnancy.

Having your care provider strip/sweep your membranes.  This worked for me at 41 weeks with my first child.  I had already spent several weeks 3cm dilated and was 5cm dilated at my 41 week visit when my CNM did this.  I think it's just forcefully removing the mucus plug -- not a gentle procedure as it can be an achy feeling to even have an exam, but still works with your body's own process rather than causing artificial contractions.  I believe it By midnight, I was in active labor. 

*This was tried and failed during my second pregnancy ...

Evening primrose oil

Quote:
You can either take the evening primrose capsules orally, or you can crush them and rub the oil onto your cervix during your final weeks of pregnancy. You can also simply insert the evening primrose tablets into your vagina and wait for them to dissolve. The effect of evening primrose oil is to induce muscle contractions in the cervix, much in the manner of prostaglandins.

Castor Oil: 

This is a last resort for me.  During my second pregnancy, I went 2.5 weeks past my EDD, and my baby's heart rate was concerning my MW.  I drank the castor oil in an orange sherbet smoothie in the evening.  I can still taste that nastiness.   (I vomited the initial dose that was mixed with OJ.)  Shortly afterward, the resulting diarrhea kept me in the bathroom for a long time.  Warning;  TMI:  If you have hemorrhoids, this WILL inflame them.  :(

Active labor arrived in the wee hours of the following morning, though.  DD tolerated labor well, with a normal heart rate throughout labor, and she was born healthy, with her cord around her neck.  That may have been the cause of the heart rate fluctuations.

Nursing my toddler

My breastmilk tends to "dry up" during my second trimester and nursing becomes painful during pregnancy, but last time around, 1.5 weeks past my EDD, I decided to let my recently weaned DD nurse.  It did, in fact, produce the contractions that led to labor.

Foods:  (I don't know how effective this is, but it doesn't hurt to try... and it's yummy.

Pineapple:  Don't get carried away, though, as it can irritate your tongue.  (learned this the hard way)

Basil:  It's said to be the "magic" ingredient in eggplant parmesan that is associated with triggering labor.  So buy some fresh basil, make pasta salad, have some pesto, eggplant parmesan, etc.

Trinity:  I hope you are able to go into labor on your body's clock, at home. 
Peace Rainbow.gif, Love heartbeat.gif, and healthy baby vibesbaby.gif >>>goodvibes.gif

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#3 of 29 Old 11-25-2011, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for this amazing thread, that is sooo much information! 

We are already doing most of it, though. I think we have more sex than in our first year :) (a bit like the turtles do it, I cannot really move winky.gif ), I am getting acupuncture, sweeping of membranes is done, didn´t know about pineapple, that´s interesting, I cannot eat raw pineapple though (my tongue is just kind of digesting itself) , do you think it works with cooked/canned ones, too? 

I am drinking an ginger/cinnamon/clove tea (not too bad) 

My mw advised against castor oil, she says the risk of getting dehydrated and exhausted is too high (and I do tend to get really bad reactions to all kinds of laxatives.) 

I think I am just too early for all that stuff to work, I lost my mucus plug this morning (I think) though. 

I am feeling really exhausted by the whole situation right now. 

#4 of 29 Old 11-25-2011, 07:31 AM

I have tried castor oil with my #1, and I don't recommend it.

My mw with #2 swept my membranes and gave me blue/black cohosh and that worked very well.

I would do everything I possibly could to avoid pitocin.

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#5 of 29 Old 11-25-2011, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Agreed. In the absence of health concerns, I would not willingly submit to an induction. I am confident in my body and it's ability to handle labor, but my experiences seeing women in induced labor... I just wouldn't want to do that to myself willingly, as it's too much of an increased risk that I would end up with a heavily medicalized delivery. Perhaps just continue the methods you've been trying, and if you don't go into labor before your mama gets here, then use that time to put yourself on bedrest and let your body recoup a little bit. 

*hugs mama* I know this part is hard. Just remember that every day baby is in there, is one more day that he/she needs to be in there. They're still working on growing and getting ready for us, even when we feel ready for them. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#6 of 29 Old 11-25-2011, 09:08 AM

Lol...I'm with you there...I can hardly walk...EVERYTHING is intensely painful...seriously thinking induction after a couple weeks as well! I can't handle this ><

in love with and married to my best friend ♥ snuggling my baby girl Ari Grace, 12-4-11

#7 of 29 Old 11-25-2011, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

@jeninejessica: There are health concerns. I consider not being able to move and cry all the time due to the pain a health concern. I cannot take any pain medication. No one is around to help with the kids. I cannot even feed them (or myself) properly. 

I am very frightened though. I am still not sure if I can go through this, but if I don´t, what am I going to do after the delivery, when I have two kids plus a newborn plus the pain (that will not go away for at least a couple of weeks - been there before) and my Mama needs to go home again? 

I would rather rest in bed for a couple of days. If I had the option, I would happily l rest for three to four weeks (do you want to hear about all the things I still need to make for the baby? orngbiggrin.gif  I really need cute knitted shoes!) but I don´t know how to do it. 

My husband is not able to cope anymore. He needs to take care of everything at night ... and all this is with a cleaning lady who is coming three times a week to get rid of the mess. (at least for a couple of hours) and she is doing all the laundry (I know, I am really lucky that I have her!)

@Averylamb: Thanks :) I had it in all three pregnancies, but not as severe, and I honestly did not really realize what it was until now. My dr. told me today that the full blown picture is really rare, and that it is really difficult to understand the amount of pain that it brings. 

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don´t really want to have an induction. I just don´t see any other way, but please keep suggestions coming, maybe I´ll find a way! 

#8 of 29 Old 11-25-2011, 10:32 AM

Do what you need to do to take care of ALL members of your family, mama.

I totally understand where you're coming from.

I hope the induction goes well and you are able to rest up for a while before mama has to go.

Hugs!

#9 of 29 Old 11-25-2011, 08:59 PM

Oh my goodness!  That sounds horrible.  I remember with my 1st, I was walking to from my car to work the day before what was supposed to be my last.  I was in so much pain (pelvic, as you describe) that I decided it had to be my last day.  (Good thing, because the next was a blizzard.)

I remember thinking that I couldn't believe Mother Nature could work it that way . . .to cause that much pain.  I seriously think all the pre-labor pain (pregnancy) is far worse than actual labor-- labor does not go on for weeks and months.

I hope your little one comes soon, but if not . . .you will be very relieved you have a plan!

I just read you lost your mucous plug . . . yeah, I definitely think you will be going into labor on your own SOON!  Go, mama!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#10 of 29 Old 11-26-2011, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I have to say I've also been suffering from SPD, and while it does occasionally shoot up to a 7/10 pain level, that's really irregular. It's more consistently a 4/10 pain level or it doesn't bother me at all. If I were experiencing consistently what you have been experiencing, and if I had anybody else but me to take care of, I don't know that I'd do anything any differently than you.

I know your MW is not being helpful/supportive at the moment, but would she possibly be willing to try a membrane sweep this weekend? Since you're scheduled for an induction Monday, it couldn't hurt to try. =)

Just a homegrown heretic hopelessly in love with her amazing DH, 2.5 year old Eli, and now expecting a new arrival April 2015.
#11 of 29 Old 11-26-2011, 10:56 AM

I had terrible SPD with my last pregnancy but the minute the labor hormones hit - it went away!  I walked during labor (around the block, a FEAT of heroic proportions I tell ya!), and after labor was over I never had the pain again.

Fingers crossed for you :)))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triniity View Post

@jeninejessica: There are health concerns. I consider not being able to move and cry all the time due to the pain a health concern. I cannot take any pain medication. No one is around to help with the kids. I cannot even feed them (or myself) properly. 

I am very frightened though. I am still not sure if I can go through this, but if I don´t, what am I going to do after the delivery, when I have two kids plus a newborn plus the pain (that will not go away for at least a couple of weeks - been there before) and my Mama needs to go home again? 

I would rather rest in bed for a couple of days. If I had the option, I would happily l rest for three to four weeks (do you want to hear about all the things I still need to make for the baby? orngbiggrin.gif  I really need cute knitted shoes!) but I don´t know how to do it. 

My husband is not able to cope anymore. He needs to take care of everything at night ... and all this is with a cleaning lady who is coming three times a week to get rid of the mess. (at least for a couple of hours) and she is doing all the laundry (I know, I am really lucky that I have her!)

@Averylamb: Thanks :) I had it in all three pregnancies, but not as severe, and I honestly did not really realize what it was until now. My dr. told me today that the full blown picture is really rare, and that it is really difficult to understand the amount of pain that it brings. 

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don´t really want to have an induction. I just don´t see any other way, but please keep suggestions coming, maybe I´ll find a way! 

#12 of 29 Old 11-26-2011, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everybody, 

thanks for all the support and comments, I really do appreciate that! 

I had a long talk with my mw, and she calmed down considerably. I guess she was kind of feeling as if I would not really appreciate her opinion or something. When we talked she was really helpful. In her opinion, we don´t really have to do it, but she sees my point as well, and says that the baby has still to go through the pelvis, and that might be easier as long as she is not too big (and she is estimated relatively big already, around 3.6 kg, my two others were 3.0 kg) - and cause less damage to the joints. 

And - it is getting even worse, today I was unable to climb the stairs on my own, and together with DH it took me around 10 min to get back into the bedroom (and no, we don´t live in a castle :) ) It is not always that bad, maybe it has something to do with the position I am in or something, not really sure... I´ve seen women in wheelchairs for this problem, and I really don´t want to end there. Maybe it´s baby´s head descending in the pelvis? Which would be a good thing!

@aeterna: She did the sweeping thing on thursday. And I do have contractions, just not regular or serious or anything, but my uterus is quite active (Baby is still pretty movable though, maybe it´s my uterus desperately trying to get her into birth position? ) 

@mizelenius: Yeah, I don´t really understand how nature makes it so hard for some of us! DH told me that this is our last baby for sure, because he does not want to go through another pregnancy ever again. And it is getting worse with every pregnancy, maybe I am just getting to old or somethin' 

Thanks for the hugs, amanda. 

I will keep you all updated. I am still hoping for a natural birth after induction, that might still be possible, right? 

#13 of 29 Old 11-26-2011, 07:28 PM

Trinity - Just wanted to say that I feel for you.  I was in so much pain in the end that I couldn't do anything without help.  My husband was basically taking care of everything and I was sitting on the couch all day long.  I was really tired too.  I remember crying when I rolled over during the night, but didn't have the option of staying on the side I was on because my hip hurt so much.  I can't imagine what it would have been like for me if I had to go another 4 weeks.  Plus, he came out 7lbs 6oz, so how big would he have been if I did go to 40 weeks???!  Luckily, I didn't have to induce, but I probably would have been begging my doctor at 39 weeks if I didn't have him.  

Hang in there!  I feel so much better already just 11 days postpartum!  Everyone keeps commenting that I seem well-rested with a newborn and I think it's because I'm sleeping better and feeling better now.  

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#14 of 29 Old 11-26-2011, 07:58 PM

I'm curious if you eat eggs on a regular basis? I just read about the deficiency of Lecithin contributing to SPD pain. I had a client add 2 eggs daily and it made a difference right away. If it looks like you're heading for an induction, I'd ask your care provider about a Cook Cervical Balloon. It is non-medical and is inserted through your cervix. You need to be dilated at least a fingertip. In most cases, it will get a cervix dilated to 4-5cm and then it slips out on its own. If your cervix isn't dilated even a fingertip, then it isn't a cervix that is ripe for an induction. I understand exactly how you feel...I carried twins (both over 7lbs each!) and couldn't walk as well. I parked my butt in bed or on the couch till I reached 38 weeks, then was induced and delivered both vaginally. You are 38 weeks tomorrow so hoping you have a ripe cervix :0)

#15 of 29 Old 11-26-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triniity View Post

And - it is getting even worse, today I was unable to climb the stairs on my own, and together with DH it took me around 10 min to get back into the bedroom (and no, we don´t live in a castle :) ) It is not always that bad, maybe it has something to do with the position I am in or something, not really sure... I´ve seen women in wheelchairs for this problem, and I really don´t want to end there. Maybe it´s baby´s head descending in the pelvis? Which would be a good thing!

Oh, mama!!!  I can't even imagine.  My pain was bad, but nowhere close to that.

And YES, a natural birth is totally possible, but you know what?  Do what you need to do.  Each situation is different and no one is in yours except you!

I really hope your little one decides to come out soon and QUICKLY!

#16 of 29 Old 11-26-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douladianne View Post

I'm curious if you eat eggs on a regular basis? I just read about the deficiency of Lecithin contributing to SPD pain. I had a client add 2 eggs daily and it made a difference right away. If it looks like you're heading for an induction, I'd ask your care provider about a Cook Cervical Balloon. It is non-medical and is inserted through your cervix. You need to be dilated at least a fingertip. In most cases, it will get a cervix dilated to 4-5cm and then it slips out on its own.

Very interesting!  Amazing what can be done!  I hope this is an option for you, Triniity!

#17 of 29 Old 11-28-2011, 11:11 PM

Perhaps you could do a more gentle version of induction? I've now been induced three times, and can say with certainty that this last time was a WORLD of difference away. First they started with a cook's catheter then just enough pitocin to get my contractions regular and put me into labor. It was quick, and much less painful.. plus I had a midwife who really supported me moving and grooving with the contractions..

HUGE HUGS!

BennyPai likes this.

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#18 of 29 Old 11-30-2011, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

hi everybody!

Jamina is with us now! 

We  went with the induction on Monday and she was born the same evening. it was quite mindblowing, the actual delivery was less than an hour, i could not believe that she was already there. The ob missed the birth ;). And it was nearly natural, i just needed oxytocin for the placenta, which happened last time as well and is apparently due to surgery I had done. 

It turned out that i probably had an undiagnosed diabetes or something, DD was not able to get her sugars up and had to be admitted to nicu, fortunately only a couple of hours. I had quite a bit of polyhydramnion right before the delivery. That means I have to feed her formula at the moment, but am hoping to straighten this out as soon as we are home. 

#19 of 29 Old 11-30-2011, 01:29 PM

Congratulations, Triniity!  Jamina is a lovely name.  

Serene, happily married to my DH

Dahlia Bluebelle born 8/09, Pearl Whimsy born 12/11

#20 of 29 Old 11-30-2011, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Congrats! Glad she made it out safely, and hopefully you'll get the sugars straightened out posthaste. =)

Just a homegrown heretic hopelessly in love with her amazing DH, 2.5 year old Eli, and now expecting a new arrival April 2015.
#21 of 29 Old 12-01-2011, 03:39 AM

joy.gifCongratulations!!!
Welcome to the world, Jamina!  Enjoy your baby moon, Triniity!
love.gif

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#22 of 29 Old 12-02-2011, 09:23 AM

Yay!!  Glad it went well!  My son had blood sugar issues too, so I wonder if I had undiagnosed GD as well.  I was so dang tired those last few weeks....

Can't wait to see pictures!!

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#23 of 29 Old 12-02-2011, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everybody, pics soon!

BennyPai likes this.

#24 of 29 Old 12-04-2011, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

IMG_0303.jpg

#25 of 29 Old 12-04-2011, 06:54 AM

Very sweet, Triniity!  She looks so snuggly and warm, all bundled up.  

Serene, happily married to my DH

Dahlia Bluebelle born 8/09, Pearl Whimsy born 12/11

#26 of 29 Old 12-04-2011, 09:51 AM

Aw, so beautiful!  I love the head fuzz.

#27 of 29 Old 12-04-2011, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Awww!! Congrats!

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#28 of 29 Old 12-04-2011, 01:37 PM

She is SOOO beautiful!

#29 of 29 Old 12-04-2011, 02:59 PM

love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page