Maddox is here :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 11-28-2011, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone! Maddox was born on Nov 25th, at 5:40pm. He was 19 inches long and 7 lbs 8.8oz. So far we are still in the hospital, as he's had a big loss in weight (13%) and is jaundice. Currently breastfeeding and supplementing with formula. Very concerned that I have breast hypoplasia, so if anyone has any info I'd love to hear it.  Working with the wonderful lactation consultants and hopefully will figure out what I can do.. If anyone searches through the search feature for INOVA Loudoun -- Loudoun Community Midwives I can say I HIGHLY recommend this hospital and the midwives. They have been absolutely AMAZING!

Anyway, on to the story ;)

I woke up out of dead sleep on Thursday, Thanksgiving, night. I was 39 weeks and 5 days, having had contractions for weeks on end. But this felt different.  I was in so much pain I couldn't control myself. I knew something was wrong. The pain wasn't contractions, there was no rhythm it was constant. Jeremy called the midwife who said it sounded like a kidney stone. I agreed. She suggested a warm bath. Over the next two hours I tried everything. Tylenol, hot compress, shower, birth ball, walking, laying down, but the pain got worse. I sent my friend Chrissi a text to see if she had any suggestions. Eventually I decided the pain was too bad and I needed to head to the hospital. I'm so glad now we went to where I was delivering instead of the closest hospital.

My poor hubby had taken Tylenol pm that night because of a bad headache.  He never takes anything so it hit him pretty hard. Chrissi offered to come get me and take me to the hospital. I was in so much pain I began vomiting as we pulled in after the 30 minute ride.

They took me into triage and gave me pain medicine. It took hours to get the pain to even a manageable point. I was in pain after only an hour or two of the larger doses of demerol. Once morning came, one of the midwives came to talk to me. Her recommedatio was that I be induced because the large amount of pain medicine could be dangerous for the baby if continued. While they were pretty sure it was kidney stone, the problem may have been baby placement which the birth would relieve. I was given some options and after a lot of discussion with everyone we decided to go ahead and have a gentle induction. The options included: Going home with percocet and hope the pain goes away, get an epideral & pitocin and go into labor, attempt to deal with the pain & take phentanol as needed and be induced with a cook's catheter and low level pitocin. I chose the cook's catheter and low level pitocin. While it was not what I wanted, at that point I had been in so much pain that I was very fearful of heading home and trying to mask the pain with percoset.

At about 2:30pm I got my last dose of phentanol for the kidney pain and they inserted a cooks catheter. I was already 3cm and 70 percent effaced and had been taking evening primrose oil to soften my cervix for a few weeks. They put me on a low dose of pitocin as well.  After about an hour I was allowed to get up. I rolled a ton on my birth ball while listening and laughing at my birth playlist, which included "You're Having My Baby" from the Glee soundtrack. Then I went to the bathroom and the catheter came out! My midwife checked me and I was already 6-7 cm! The midwife went ahead and broke my water. I couldn't believe I had progressed so quickly and really was in relatively low amounts of pain. This experience was already 100 times better than my previous inductions. I truly feel like it was because of the huge amount of support that I had. Decisions that were made were mine. They were informed, supported, well thought out decisions. And I was surrounded both physically and emotionally by people who loved me, both in the room and from afar.

I got back on my ball to move him lower into my pelvis. We continued to roll until my midwife suggested getting in the tub. At first I said I'd rather get in the shower but after one contraction while standing I knew it would be too painful. I rushed to the toilet because I knew so many women who found some pain relief from sitting on the toilet. While I had a couple of contractions on the toilet, Chrissi filled the tub and I got in. The water was so refreshing and calming. This is when I think the contractions got intense. I started really vocalizing them. Working through each contraction with humming, o'hhing. Jeremy sat in the bathroom and held my hand as each contraction peaked. Knowing he was there and encouraging me was so beautiful to me. Near the 5th or 6th contraction I remember talking to Maddox. Reassuring him that the world wasn't scary, that I could hold and love him outside the womb and he would be safe. Within another contraction I started feeling a little pushy so out of the tub and onto the bed. My midwife trusted that I knew what my body was doing. I was about 9 cm and the midwife encouraged me that I could push and she'd pull the cervix aside if needed. I pushed but knew he wasn't quite there. As they got ready I knew he'd be here soon. I had been in so much pain from the kidney stone that I was afraid my body couldn't handle the pain of pushing. I was afraid that my birth had been so fast that the pushing stage may be hours. But thankfully the fear wasn't founded, as  within two contractions and pushes he was born into the world at 5:40pm, only about 3 or 4 hours since the start. This experience was so much better than my previous inductions. This felt so much closer to what birth should be like. While I know it wasn't completely natural, for me I was able to get a lot of what I wanted. I was able to move, laugh, cry, get in the tub, vocalize. After the birth it was everything I wanted. He was placed directly on my chest. He snuggled with me and was able to latch on right away. His cord was able to pulsate and I was able to bask in the first precious moments of his life. It was truly love at first sight.

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#2 of 27 Old 11-29-2011, 06:29 AM

Congratulations, mamaecho!  I'm so sorry you had to go through the pain of a kidney stone, but I'm glad your labor and birth went so smoothly!  I hope you and Maddox are recovering well and get to go home soon.  And hopefully that kidney stone just dissolves or something.  I had one awful night in an ER with a kidney stone (I can't imagine going through that pregnant!), but it never bothered me after that.  Can't they just laser it, if need be?       

Serene, happily married to my DH

Dahlia Bluebelle born 8/09, Pearl Whimsy born 12/11

#3 of 27 Old 11-29-2011, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Congrats! I really like the name Maddox :) That sounds like a wonderful birth, aside from the kidney stone part. It's not as important for things to go as planned as it is for the mom to feel she was supported and respected. I'm glad you had a team that took good care of you!

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#4 of 27 Old 11-29-2011, 12:55 PM

Congratulations!!

in love with and married to my best friend ♥ snuggling my baby girl Ari Grace, 12-4-11

#5 of 27 Old 11-29-2011, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Congrats!! So glad to hear everything turned out well. Now bring us pictures of new-baby-goodness! ^.^

Just a homegrown heretic hopelessly in love with her amazing DH, 2.5 year old Eli, and now expecting a new arrival April 2015.
#6 of 27 Old 11-29-2011, 01:54 PM

Congrats!!

mama to dust.gifdd 8/09 and slingtwin.gif dd + ds 11/11

#7 of 27 Old 11-29-2011, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congratulations!!!  joy.gif

Enjoy your baby moon.  heartbeat.gif

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#8 of 27 Old 11-29-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPai View Post

Congratulations!!!  joy.gif

Enjoy your baby moon.  heartbeat.gif

This, congrats!!

#9 of 27 Old 11-29-2011, 08:47 PM

Yay!  More babies!!  Congrats to you...and I love the name.  :)

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#10 of 27 Old 11-30-2011, 08:08 AM

This group has the best baby names!

Did the pain from the kidney stone go away or are you still dealing with that?

It sounds like you not only had wonderful support but somehow, despite everything going on, were able to make good decisions.  In that much pain I do not know if I could have even thought straight!

RE: weight loss, have you had him weighed, nursed him, and then weighed again (on a hospital-grade scale)?  My 2nd DD had the same thing . . .she didn't lose but she didn't gain, and she was growing . . .so really she WAS losing, if that makes sense.  It was not my milk supply (one LC said it was) but the fact that she had a very weak suck.  For 6 weeks I pumped, used a Haberman feeder (would not recommend-- baby has to take too much energy to drink), and nursed to get her weight up and have her be more alert.  The trick was cranial-sacral therapy, though.  It made a huge difference right away, though then it got bad again . . .but at that point she was older/fatter so we worked through it.  We stopped having to use pumped milk by that point and she never had a problem again.

CONGRATS!!!

ETA-- the Yahoo group MOBI was a GREAT, fantastic, wonderful resource!  http://www.mobimotherhood.org/MM/default.aspx  The link is in the "where to get help" section for the Yahoo group.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#11 of 27 Old 11-30-2011, 09:00 AM

Congratulations mamaecho!!  Welcome to the world, Maddox!

#12 of 27 Old 11-30-2011, 11:19 AM

Hooray! Welcome to the world Maddox, and way to go Mamaecho! What a great story of things not going quite the way you planned, but being able to steer the birth in a way that made sense both physically and practically for you and him. Hope that kidney stone trouble gives you a rest so you can focus on the babe.

#13 of 27 Old 11-30-2011, 07:02 PM

Congrats again and I hope the kidney stone has since passed... if there is any way for you to suppliment at breast (maybe you already are) I would reccomend that...wish I had done so with DS2 (he had a weak suck in combination with some other things that caused low supply). Anyway, congrats - I love his name too! :-)

#14 of 27 Old 12-01-2011, 07:30 AM

Congratulations Mamaecho and welcome to the world little Maddox! What an amazing story - thanks for sharing it. Whenever I hear a story like yours, I think "Yes! That's the way the system is SUPPOSED to work!" I'm so glad you were supported in the way you were and were able to make choices you feel comfortable with the way things went. YAY for squishy lovey babies and hope you have a WONDERFUL babymoon!!

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#15 of 27 Old 12-01-2011, 06:57 PM

DDDC to say remember that at least part of that weight loss includes the extra fluids that were pumped into both of you during labour

Czarena likes this.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#16 of 27 Old 12-02-2011, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Hi ladies!

Just an update...

Went to the LC today. I was diagnosed today with breast hypoplasia. Basically at this point, I'm going to get an SNS feeder, continue on Goat's Rue, Fenugreek and then possibly do domperidone as well and just continue what I'm doing.. Sadly, we nursed for 20 minutes and he failed to gain anything (we weighed him right before, then weighed after).. but I am producing some milk via a pump (and I'm hoping that maybe it was just a fluke that he didn't gain when feeding) so I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing... and keep trying to increase breast tissue.

Seems like the jist of all this is that I had great ideas, but things are different, and while I'm mourning it, it will be okay. :)

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#17 of 27 Old 12-02-2011, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

And here he is :)

390816_894402333973_58206048_38337638_1588879091_n.jpg

#18 of 27 Old 12-02-2011, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

PS, I was wrong. lol I was 38 and 5 days. lol

Oh and about the kidney pain. Amazing thing! The pain went away after my last dose of phenetal (sp) and hasn't been back yet.. I found out that I do have stones in both of my kidneys and have to see a urologist soon about it.. thank the good Lord that I didn't have to go through both birth and kidney stone pain!!

Mizelenius likes this.

#19 of 27 Old 12-02-2011, 08:51 PM

whoo hoo to that! 

and hes so cute!  i love his little knit hat, i wish i had the patience to finish the one i was knitting : D

heartbeat.gifMomma to baby boy Ember.babyf.gifborn at home 12/22/11.  Madly loving his daddy Thimble guitar.gif since 6/26/09. 

#20 of 27 Old 12-02-2011, 08:53 PM

It will be OK, especially since you caught it early-- rule #1, FEED THE BABY!

I am no expert . . .but at any point were you leaking breastmilk?  The reason I am asking is because it was hard for me to pump with the hospital grade pump and my DD gained next to nothing when I nursed, too.  HOWEVER, this was not due to hypoplasia.  Because she had not been nursing well, my milk supply went down, and because she wasn't nursing well . . .she didn't gain.  It was her issue (poor milk transfer).  I mentioned that an LC thought it was me, but because I nursed my 1st and knew I was leaking milk . . .felt very full of it (at least at first), I knew it was not me.  Doesn't mean the problem was easy to fix but I had a starting point.  Just got very lucky that a different LC knew yet another LC who specialized in jaw issues (nothing noticeable about DD . . .). 

Anyway, he's ADORABLE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post

Hi ladies!

Just an update...

Went to the LC today. I was diagnosed today with breast hypoplasia. Basically at this point, I'm going to get an SNS feeder, continue on Goat's Rue, Fenugreek and then possibly do domperidone as well and just continue what I'm doing.. Sadly, we nursed for 20 minutes and he failed to gain anything (we weighed him right before, then weighed after).. but I am producing some milk via a pump (and I'm hoping that maybe it was just a fluke that he didn't gain when feeding) so I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing... and keep trying to increase breast tissue.

Seems like the jist of all this is that I had great ideas, but things are different, and while I'm mourning it, it will be okay. :)

#21 of 27 Old 12-03-2011, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

So I have some good tissue, so I can produce some. We do know while he has a perfect latch, he isn't transferring well. I ordered an sns and hopefully that will help stimulate plus teach him to suck better

#22 of 27 Old 12-03-2011, 01:40 PM

What's a SNS?  We are having weight gain issues over here and it's freaking me out.  He's gaining less then half an ounce/day, but I feel like we are breastfeeding like crazy.  I wonder if it's his latch (thank you crazy LC at the hospital who told me he is getting nothing).  He IS getting something because my breasts are drained and we have plenty of poopy/pee diapers.  I've even taken to supplementing with a few ounces of formula every few days because I want him to gain weight!  

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#23 of 27 Old 12-03-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendizbaby View Post

What's a SNS?  We are having weight gain issues over here and it's freaking me out.  He's gaining less then half an ounce/day, but I feel like we are breastfeeding like crazy.  I wonder if it's his latch (thank you crazy LC at the hospital who told me he is getting nothing).  He IS getting something because my breasts are drained and we have plenty of poopy/pee diapers.  I've even taken to supplementing with a few ounces of formula every few days because I want him to gain weight!  

Have you tried weighing pre and post nursing to check for the amount of transfer?  I ended up renting a breastfeeding scale from medela for reassurance but most breastfeeding support groups and LC offices have a scale you could use and they can show you how.

mama to dust.gifdd 8/09 and slingtwin.gif dd + ds 11/11

#24 of 27 Old 12-03-2011, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

An Sns is a tube you tape to your breast to supplement with formula/donor milk. That way your breast is being stimulated but they are getting the nutrition they need

#25 of 27 Old 12-03-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:

So I have some good tissue, so I can produce some. We do know while he has a perfect latch, he isn't transferring well. I ordered an sns and hopefully that will help stimulate plus teach him to suck better

This is exactly how DD was-- her latch looked perfect.  Just not strong! 

BTW, if you can, consider getting two SNS because they are sort of a hassle to clean . . .then while one is drying you can use the other.

#26 of 27 Old 12-03-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb76 View Post

Have you tried weighing pre and post nursing to check for the amount of transfer?  I ended up renting a breastfeeding scale from medela for reassurance but most breastfeeding support groups and LC offices have a scale you could use and they can show you how.

No...I haven't.  I wonder if I could try that in the pediatrician's office when I go this week.  

#27 of 27 Old 12-03-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:

An Sns is a tube you tape to your breast to supplement with formula/donor milk. That way your breast is being stimulated but they are getting the nutrition they need

Interesting!!  I might have to get one of those if his numbers don't look good this week.  Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page