December is finally here!!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 12-05-2011, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeterna View Post

Heh. I feel ya. I am impatient but not in the "I'm uncomfortable, GET OUT" sort of way... more in the "C'mon baby, I want as much time with you as possible, come see me!!" kind of way. Just excited, and ready, and have enough done that I wouldn't stress anything left to do.

It helps that I got enough sleep last night. The nights where I don't sleep well, I'm far less zen about the process!

Exactly this.  Somewhere in the last few days, the baby actually feels like a baby.  Not like, I'm finally grokking that we're going to have a kid.  But like, it physically feels like what's inside me could easily be outside me and it's just chance that it's not on the outside yet.  Snuggling is so much easier on the outside!  I know a lot of things are harder - they make noises, they don't ingest their own urine and poo anymore, they make your boobs hurt instead of your abdomen and hips and ribs, less portable... but there's snuggling! and sharing!  And I know there are biological factors that are keeping the baby in, but it still just feels like random, luck of the draw, pot-shot chance.  

But anyway, apart from my skin feeling like it's about to be ripped open, I'm still pretty comfy.  And while sleeping has become more restless, I get enough good nights in that it's not too bad.

Boring check up today at 37 weeks.  I'm measuring behind for the first time - so I guess he is still measuring my fundus.  I must have missed it last week.  I didn't gain any weight again despite wearing my heavy boots.  Doctor isn't worried.  Baby hasn't dropped.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 58 Old 12-05-2011, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm so right there with all of you mamas, and isn't it nice to have companions in all of this? Come on babies, come on babies, we want to meet you and cuddle you and (maybe sometimes, but not with MIL) share you! 

Today is the 5th, which means 6 days until the full moon! I'm really, really counting on some full moon baby birthing action for all of us. I'm so tired of all these mean cramps, but I can finally reach my cervix now. Maybe I'll actually give birth some day.

To occupy myself, I'm going to start spinning some lovely black shetland wool, to make into a new sweater for my soon-to-be-not-whale-sized self!

Oh! I have developed a real fear of my water breaking in a public place, namely on the bus. Every time I get on one, and the driver gives me his "oh, god, don't get on my bus!" look, I start thinking that it surely will break any second, and then how will I clean it up, and how will I get home while leaking fluids, with everyone staring at me?! Please tell me I'm not the only one thinking this! And also please tell me that none of you have had a public water-breaking episode!

(However, embarassing thought it would be, at least something would be happening!!!)

Maker-mama, joyously loving my boy, Winter Rhys, born 12/2011, and our twins, Wren and Forest, born 4/2014.
#33 of 58 Old 12-05-2011, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

4th baby and I have never had my water break in public.  And when my water does break, fluid doesn't flood out of me.  Once the water breaks, it feels like the baby drops a bit lower and the head sort of stoppers the flow of fluid.  I am wearing a heavier pad these days (more for urine irked.gif ) and that would help soak up a lot of the fluid if my water does break.  Might be worth wearing one if you are feeling anxious about leaking in public.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#34 of 58 Old 12-05-2011, 03:17 PM

I have so been having the water breaking fear as well, and I don't know why.  With my first, my water broke at home, early in the  morning when I was still in my pj's.  With my second, my water didn't break until well into labor.  But this time it seems that EVERY SINGLE public situation I find myself in, I find myself running through my  mind how I will react and what I will do if my water breaks.  I want my brain to stop!

I'm not due until the 27th and I waffle between the hope that I will go any time and the fear that I will go any time.  I am pretty much ready in terms of what absolutely needs to be done (got the car seats in this weekend; my bag and the kids' bags mostly packed, etc.), but I still have other things that I'd like to get done...laundry, clothes sorted, some furniture rearranged to make way for a few key baby items, Christmas tree completely decorated (it's got lights and about 10 ornaments on it right now), presents wrapped, stuff like that.

I've been feeling crampy off and on and have had a few moments where I've thought, maybe this is it, maybe labor is starting, but it goes away.  Haven't experienced this part of pregnancy before.  With my first my water broke at 37 weeks and I was induced (didn't know I could do things any differently back then). With my second, I felt nothing--no cramps, no achiness, no contractions really--before my membranes were stripped at my 39 week appointment since they were giving me super heavy pressure to induce and I went into labor that night.  It was super fast--started fast, went fast, ended fast.  This time around this off and on, will I or won't I, is an entirely new experience for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azadehhast View Post

I'm so right there with all of you mamas, and isn't it nice to have companions in all of this? Come on babies, come on babies, we want to meet you and cuddle you and (maybe sometimes, but not with MIL) share you! 

Today is the 5th, which means 6 days until the full moon! I'm really, really counting on some full moon baby birthing action for all of us. I'm so tired of all these mean cramps, but I can finally reach my cervix now. Maybe I'll actually give birth some day.

To occupy myself, I'm going to start spinning some lovely black shetland wool, to make into a new sweater for my soon-to-be-not-whale-sized self!

Oh! I have developed a real fear of my water breaking in a public place, namely on the bus. Every time I get on one, and the driver gives me his "oh, god, don't get on my bus!" look, I start thinking that it surely will break any second, and then how will I clean it up, and how will I get home while leaking fluids, with everyone staring at me?! Please tell me I'm not the only one thinking this! And also please tell me that none of you have had a public water-breaking episode!

(However, embarassing thought it would be, at least something would be happening!!!)

#35 of 58 Old 12-05-2011, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Water breaking isn't even nearly as dramatic as they make it out to be... it wasn't in public, but mine broke in bed at the start of labour when I had DS. I felt/heard the pop and leapt out of bed so I wouldn't get it on the mattress, felt a gush and thought "Oh no! The carpet!" and made a mad dash to the bathroom. I think I soaked my undies pretty well & it did go down my legs, but I couldn't find any evidence on the bed or the floor when I went back to inspect. It's probably only about 1/2 cup of fluid that comes out. Worst-case scenario, you look like Mrs.Pee-pee-pants... which isn't great, but just have a sweater on hand to tie around below your waist to hide it. 

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#36 of 58 Old 12-05-2011, 03:47 PM

I've been having a fear of my water breaking in public too! My biggest fear has been about it breaking in my classroom at my university! Hahaha. Also, in the car when I am picking up or dropping off my older 2 kiddos from their dad's house, and worrying that it will happen during the 45 min drive there or back! 

My water broke before labor with my #1, but it wasn't a gush, it started out leaking in spurts and then got heavier and heavier. With #2, it was broken by my mw after 24 hours of labor. You never know! 

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#37 of 58 Old 12-05-2011, 06:47 PM

Haha my water has always been broken by my midwife after many many hours of labor, but, for some reason this time I have been nervous about it breaking at work...I keep thinking I will go to work in early labor (I probably will unless I go into labor over the weekend...no point in wasting a paid day off) and that my water will break and all of the sudden the contractions will be really hard and one of my co-workers will have to drive me to the hospital and I will mess up their car....what a wild imagination and completly irrational. It's also occured to me, what if I am in the pool and it breaks? I would never know! LOL

#38 of 58 Old 12-05-2011, 07:55 PM

My water broke in the birth pool at my home births.  It felt like my ears popping, and the first time I could clearly see the fluid, and all its tiny vernix particles,  streaming into the clear pool water.  My water was broken by hospital staff at my first birth.  CNM wanted to check for meconium before allowing my water birth.  That was an awful feeling -- I was so pleasantly surprised at how different it was for my water to break on its own.  :)

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#39 of 58 Old 12-05-2011, 08:12 PM

My mother's story of her water breaking before my birth has been repeated so often in my family, I'm sure it's the root of my fear! I was born at exactly 38 weeks, just hours after my parents' first wedding anniversary. My mother was sewing last minute Christmas gifts, wearing knee-high, fur-lined boots. She stood up, and BAMM! water gushes out of her. While she calls the hospital, my dad pours the fluid out of her boots--they were full!

Maybe I'll just stay home for the next few weeks. :D

Maker-mama, joyously loving my boy, Winter Rhys, born 12/2011, and our twins, Wren and Forest, born 4/2014.
#40 of 58 Old 12-05-2011, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I had an incredibly weird (and intense) sensation yesterday while I was doing dishes - I felt something snap or pop, very sharp and sudden, deep in the uterus/cervix area. I've had cramping and I've had some mild contractions and this was nothing like either - it was fast and blindingly painful, made me catch my breath and my knees buckle before I caught myself. I wondered if maybe my water had broken (?!) but I had no fluid (or at least no more than usual lately -.- ) and it didn't happen again. And, from what I can tell, nothing else has changed - it's not like the Cx have picked up or anything. So I have no bloody idea what that was all about... maybe the kiddo tried to shove a hand through my cervix?!

Just a homegrown heretic hopelessly in love with her amazing DH, 2.5 year old Eli, and now expecting a new arrival April 2015.
#41 of 58 Old 12-05-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:

I had an incredibly weird (and intense) sensation yesterday while I was doing dishes - I felt something snap or pop, very sharp and sudden, deep in the uterus/cervix area. I've had cramping and I've had some mild contractions and this was nothing like either - it was fast and blindingly painful, made me catch my breath and my knees buckle before I caught myself. I wondered if maybe my water had broken (?!) but I had no fluid (or at least no more than usual lately -.- ) and it didn't happen again. And, from what I can tell, nothing else has changed - it's not like the Cx have picked up or anything. So I have no bloody idea what that was all about... maybe the kiddo tried to shove a hand through my cervix?!

I had that off and on for my last week. I'm pretty sure it was DD pressing on a nerve or something. I kept trying to describe it to DH, and couldn't quite find the words, but you're right... it's like all of a sudden you want to fall to the floor. Not fun!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#42 of 58 Old 12-05-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:

Yeah I have the same thing almost all the time. Midwife told me that it was the baby cracking its bones while doing a sort of screwdriver motion into your pelvis. I keep hoping that it will go a bit too far down and plop out of me. 

#43 of 58 Old 12-05-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:

My mother's story of her water breaking before my birth has been repeated so often in my family, I'm sure it's the root of my fear! I was born at exactly 38 weeks, just hours after my parents' first wedding anniversary. My mother was sewing last minute Christmas gifts, wearing knee-high, fur-lined boots. She stood up, and BAMM! water gushes out of her. While she calls the hospital, my dad pours the fluid out of her boots--they were full!

LOL, That's awesome! 

My grandmother used to tell me that when she was pregnant with my dad, her water broke while standing in line at the grocery store! 

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#44 of 58 Old 12-05-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:

That is too funny!  Did she save the boots???

I think my biggest fear is being alone with the kids and going into labor quickly.  I am not having a HB so this makes things complicated.  I don't think I can drive with cx, but then what would I do with the kids?  And then, IF (big if) I find someone to watch them, I will have to figure out how to get to the hospital.  Cab?  I better have cash handy in case, which I never do. 

I am thinking, though, that I will either go into labor at night or early in the a.m. I HOPE. Then DH would be home.  He could just drop me off at the hospital and I'd be fine with that.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#45 of 58 Old 12-06-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius View Post

I think my biggest fear is being alone with the kids and going into labor quickly.  I am not having a HB so this makes things complicated.  I don't think I can drive with cx, but then what would I do with the kids?  And then, IF (big if) I find someone to watch them, I will have to figure out how to get to the hospital.  Cab?  I better have cash handy in case, which I never do. 

I am thinking, though, that I will either go into labor at night or early in the a.m. I HOPE. Then DH would be home.  He could just drop me off at the hospital and I'd be fine with that.

Do you have a neighbor that would help? I have 2 neighbor ladies that said I could call them if I needed childcare when I go to the hospital. DF only works 5 mins from our house and can leave as soon as he needs to. But, do you know anyone who would come pick you up and take you if your DH isn't there? 

#46 of 58 Old 12-06-2011, 06:52 AM

My fear is something happening when DS (9) is at school. I actually wished he was home for winter break already lol!

My BIL could pick DS up from school while hubby take me to the hosp. but I think I worry too much about it. MIL could also pick DS up.

My BP is even raised because of me stressing, and now they want to do 2 U/S's a week to check on the baby.

Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

#47 of 58 Old 12-06-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraBella View Post

Do you have a neighbor that would help? I have 2 neighbor ladies that said I could call them if I needed childcare when I go to the hospital. DF only works 5 mins from our house and can leave as soon as he needs to. But, do you know anyone who would come pick you up and take you if your DH isn't there? 

I have a nice neighbor and a good friend nearby, but they are gone a lot.  My DH used to work 20 min. away so it was not a problem, but now he's downtown . . .not only does the train take awhile, but they don't come that frequently.  My mom lives an hour away-- last time she did not make it.  (Lucky my friend was home.)

EuroMama, I'd be OK if it happened if my kids were at school, I think, because there are parents I know would be there who could watch them for an hour after school.  But maybe I'd forget about them!  (The kids, I mean!)  That would be bad!

#48 of 58 Old 12-06-2011, 07:59 AM

That's true too. I guess I just worry too much hahahaha!

Hubby works like 10 minutes from our house, BIL is like 5 minutes, I have two neighbor ladies but they work an hour here and then there outside the house, my MIL works 30 minutes from here. My Mom, sister, grandma, Dad etc lives in Holland where I am from, so it'll take them even longer to get here hahhaa!

Quote:

EuroMama, I'd be OK if it happened if my kids were at school, I think, because there are parents I know would be there who could watch them for an hour after school.  But maybe I'd forget about them!  (The kids, I mean!)  That would be bad!

Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

#49 of 58 Old 12-06-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:

I have a nice neighbor and a good friend nearby, but they are gone a lot.  My DH used to work 20 min. away so it was not a problem, but now he's downtown . . .not only does the train take awhile, but they don't come that frequently.  My mom lives an hour away-- last time she did not make it.  (Lucky my friend was home.)

You could make sure your DH is in charge of calling the school if they are there when you have to go. 

How far is the hospital from your house? 

Are you involved in any church or organization (like LLL)? Is there someone there who lives nearby that is a SAHM you could call? 

#50 of 58 Old 12-06-2011, 10:33 AM

Ha, ha about DH remembering to call the school . . .I don't think he would!  He does not have a good memory for that kind of thing.  This last time I said, your ONLY job is to get me to the hospital (it's kind of tricky and at least 20 min from here, and DD was born 20 min after I got there).  Guess what?  He didn't research it and got lost.  We had to pull over for him to figure out how to find it on the GPS.  Same hospital this time, and I told him I really did not want to get lost again . . .but I am sure he still doesn't know where it is and will not be ready. 

I do know SAHMs but they are all really busy.  I don't know of any who actually stay home!  I have possibilities, but no one I am sure would be home.  Will be luck.  But, like I said, I do think I'll go into labor at night or in the a.m.  so then DH would be home.  :)  I HOPE! 

I better have the directions programmed into the GPS, I just realized.  Maybe it will be a long and drawn-out labor, too . . .you never know.

Quote:

You could make sure your DH is in charge of calling the school if they are there when you have to go. 

How far is the hospital from your house? 

Are you involved in any church or organization (like LLL)? Is there someone there who lives nearby that is a SAHM you could call? 

#51 of 58 Old 12-06-2011, 10:35 AM

Nice-- between your BIL and DH I think you will be OK, as long as they can leave quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroMama View Post

That's true too. I guess I just worry too much hahahaha!

Hubby works like 10 minutes from our house, BIL is like 5 minutes, I have two neighbor ladies but they work an hour here and then there outside the house, my MIL works 30 minutes from here. My Mom, sister, grandma, Dad etc lives in Holland where I am from, so it'll take them even longer to get here hahhaa!

#52 of 58 Old 12-06-2011, 10:47 AM

Here is who I have (which is great because I really feel like I hardly have any friends here since I moved):

2 neighbors: 1 is a SAHM and usually always home. The other is an older woman who does have a small part time job, and also helps another old woman out every day from 11-12. 

BIL and his girlfriend: BIL works full time, and his girlfriend has two jobs, so it's unlikely that they would actually be free to come over. But they MIGHT be able to leave for an emergency if they have to. BIL's job is more flexible than his GF's 2 jobs. 

My older 2 spend half the week with their father, my ex. So, it is possible that they wouldn't even be here with me when the baby comes. But then I have to try to figure out who could pick them up, as my ex is kinda a control freak and I'm not sure if he would be civil enough for someone other than me to pick them up if I just had a baby. There is NO way he would be civil to DF picking them up, so that is not a possibility. I sort of have a plan with my sister picking them up, but she doesn't have carseats, so we would have to figure out how to get the carseats to her to pick them up. I wish my ex was easier to work with, but he's not. He is my biggest headache about the whole thing. 

I would rather my kiddos be here already when I have the baby so they can meet him right away, and I wouldn't have to worry about who is going to pick up my kids, or if my ex is going to be civil or be crazy. 

#53 of 58 Old 12-06-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:

LOL, That's awesome! 

My grandmother used to tell me that when she was pregnant with my dad, her water broke while standing in line at the grocery store! 

See, that's what I'm afraid of!!! But I don't think it happens all that often.

Quote:

I asked recently, but no one seems to remember. They must have been thrown out, or they'd have been held up and enshrined each time the story was told. lol.gif

#54 of 58 Old 12-06-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:

They must have been thrown out, or they'd have been held up and enshrined each time the story was told. lol.gif

lol.gif

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#55 of 58 Old 12-06-2011, 07:13 PM

A friend of mine who recently had a baby set up a whole network of mom's...I think there was a total of 8 of us, and she had our schedules and made an order of contact based on the time of day and who her child was most familiar with etc. maybe wasn't the most ideal situation, but, at least she had 100% confidence that someone would be able to watch her child during labor. Just another suggestion.

#56 of 58 Old 12-06-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:

I asked recently, but no one seems to remember. They must have been thrown out, or they'd have been held up and enshrined each time the story was told. lol.gif

HAHAHA!!

#57 of 58 Old 12-06-2011, 08:43 PM

What an organized person!

People didn't even answer when I called today (my mom didn't answer call waiting and DH said he didn't know I left a message).  Good thing I was not in labor!   Wish I could get a big cab and just take us all to the hospital myself.  I truly do not like being dependent on anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMomma83 View Post

A friend of mine who recently had a baby set up a whole network of mom's...I think there was a total of 8 of us, and she had our schedules and made an order of contact based on the time of day and who her child was most familiar with etc. maybe wasn't the most ideal situation, but, at least she had 100% confidence that someone would be able to watch her child during labor. Just another suggestion.

#58 of 58 Old 12-07-2011, 07:20 AM

Mizelenius:  I am not very organized at all, but I've been working on lining up back-ups for my doula. (She can't be officially on-call, so I need to be prepared!)  I approached an acquaintance in the hallway at my kiddos' school yesterday.  She was pretty surprised, but said to give her a call so she could come and familiarize herself with our home this week.  I'm calling two more friends this afternoon.  So far, I have two confirmed back-ups ... 

I'm not making an availability calendar or anything:  I plan to post a list of phone numbers for the doula and back-ups in the order of our preference, so when I go into labor, DP can just start calling.  I hope to have at least 5 ... Wish me luck.

I'll have two awesome midwives and my DP at my disposal, so I'm covered in the support department!  I've hired the doula not so much for me, but for helping to keep my MIL and step-SIL calm and balancing the energy in our home so my children won't be anxious during the birth, especially in the event that I would need to transfer (something that has never happened before, so could frighten my daughters).  My criteria for a back-up is just someone who has experienced or been around a home birth and is good with kiddos.   *MIL is anxious in general and step-SIL is wonderful, but she's never been around a birth before and she confessed that she is "a little scared."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page