So what goes in a hospital bag anyway? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-06-2011, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm guessing clothes for baby and me, and pjs and toiletries for me... insurance card... what else?

We're planning a homebirth, so this is really a transfer bag - but if we go in because we need a c-section, I could be there for a couple of days, right?

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-06-2011, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

How far do you live from the hospital? 

You could also bring some snacks, some change for some snacks, a birth plan, robe, slippers.. grab your camera and your phone charger on the way out (unless you have extras). 

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#3 of 5 Old 12-06-2011, 10:42 AM

Well, this won't fit in the bag, but I really like to bring the Boppy.  I use it not just for nursing but holding the baby in the bed.  I am always so worried I will fall asleep and the baby will fall onto the floor, so this is just a little way to keep her safer.  A pouch is good, too.

I also finally figured out that I need to bring really comfortable clothes to wear (old ones, preferably black since you'll be messy/bleeding) instead of the hospital gown.  When I started doing that, I felt like a new person, or rather, myself, in the hospital.  MUCH more relaxing to walk around, nurse, etc.  It is so nice to talk to your ped and MW feeling normal.  Believe it or not, makeup is helpful to bring, too!

Also nice to bring would be DVDs and a laptop/portable DVD player unless your hospital has a good one.  Hospital TV is so boring.  Books and magazines, plus some snacks, are handy.  The last time I finished a book was when I was in the hospital.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#4 of 5 Old 12-06-2011, 01:34 PM

You can be in the hospital for reasons less serious than a c-section (induction/ augmentation, pain relief for exhaustion from long labor, ). You may want to bring comfort items to help have a natural birth there like music, massage lotion, your favourite juice...

#5 of 5 Old 12-06-2011, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversparrow View Post

You can be in the hospital for reasons less serious than a c-section (induction/ augmentation, pain relief for exhaustion from long labor, ). You may want to bring comfort items to help have a natural birth there like music, massage lotion, your favourite juice...

Yes, this is very true - I just meant that if I'm there for a c-section I'm likely to be there longer than if we're going in for help with a natural labor. I think? Great suggestions - thank you!

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page