VBAC and Induction - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
 
ZoeJane'sMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Norman, Ok
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay, I am at a crossroads and need some input. I had a csection with my child because of fetal distress. I am so desperate to have a natural birth this or even to just start labor on my own. I have tried everything and I have not gone into labor yet, which I know is quite common for a 41 week 2 day person. When I started this process of a VBAC I researched myself quick to find the best route to take and I read that it is safer to have a successful VBAC then a second csec, but that it is more risky to have a VBAC that turns into a CSEC than just a straight CSEC. So at first I had a CSEC scheduled for today and then I completely cancelled that after realizing I do not want another CSEC, nothing against people who had them I am must a big baby and had a horrible experience the first time, so I figured baby would be here by now and went ahead and scheduled and induction for Monday and now I am thinking that is what is going to happen. I have read some places that if you have already progressed to like a 3 or 4 and fully effaced and everything looks good the induction will go well with a VBAC but then I read that there should be absolutely no induction on a VBAC. Keep in mind also the success rate of a VBAC also depends on how far along a mother is, so the longer it takes for baby to come the less likely a VBAC will be successful, now I am now quite sure why this is but I have read it every where and my doc agrees also. Do you think the induction is safe or should I just go for a CSEC, I am so confused at this point.


Student Mother  and Wife hang.gif 29 married to DH 31 jammin.gif since 03 Zoe Elizabeth Jane 4.75 energy.gif and Jace Aaron Edward 12/12/11 babyboy.gif

ZoeJane'sMommy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 09:39 AM
 
Mummoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 3,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I don't think anyone can tell you what to do. There is some risk with every birthing option, nothing is a guarantee... it sounds like what you're asking is, should you choose an option which you know comes with higher risk? It might be a good idea to look at what the actual risk is for that one option, without comparing it to others. All of the choices we have today are very, very safe... accepting a little more risk to try for an outcome you want isn't 'dangerous'.

 

It might be a good idea to make sure you're paying close attention to when the studies you're reading were published... "VBAC's should not have an induction, ever" sounds like it might be older information. 'Induction' can mean a lot of different things, too... maybe you would feel better about getting the gel and a membranes strip to see if that kick starts anything, before heading straight for pitocin. Is that part of what your doctor is suggesting, anyway?

 

Whatever decision you make, it was the best you could do with the information you have, you aren't being flippant about this. Sometimes people get a less than ideal outcome even when there was one, clear best option and one of the 'that seems like asking for trouble' options might have been better. There's just no way to predict that, and it sucks. I wish I could be of more help!


~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

Mummoth is online now  
#3 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
 
ZoeJane'sMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Norman, Ok
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I already had my membranes stripped on monday, and my doctor does not use the the pill insert/jel or the strip (that has something on it I cant remember) for VBAC's. Recent studies show that it increases the risk of uterine rupture by alot. Starting out at a very small amount of pictocin, and only if I am already dilated to a 3 or 4, is the only type of induction she will do. I am going to one of the most progressive hospitals in my state, they have the most current technology and they are also the only ones who will perform a VBAC. So I am confident that they know what they are doing, I guess I just though natural labor would come easier this time.


Student Mother  and Wife hang.gif 29 married to DH 31 jammin.gif since 03 Zoe Elizabeth Jane 4.75 energy.gif and Jace Aaron Edward 12/12/11 babyboy.gif

ZoeJane'sMommy is offline  
#4 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 10:51 AM
 
Mummoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 3,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Oh, I didn't know that about the gel, I thought it was a gentler way of inducing. It really does sound like they know what they're doing... waiting for labour to start is incredibly frustrating, but it can come out of the blue. You can be feeling nothing right now, but your water is going to break in 15 minutes, so don't get discouraged! But that's also why it's such a crazy-making waiting game. Just keep going on with life, all we can really do is surrender to the wait. I've got my fingers crossed for you!


~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

Mummoth is online now  
#5 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 01:38 PM
 
jesusfollower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: rural Illinois
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In the meantime, perhaps you can try some natural induction methods (although I know they have varying amounts of success!)...

 

eat fresh pineapple (http://www.justmommies.com/pregnancy/labor-and-childbirth/pineapples-to-induce-labor)

DTD (and don't try to be super gentle, LOL) wink1.gif (http://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/does-sex-induce-labor.html)

acupressure (http://www.ehow.com/how_2070244_induce-labor-acupressure.html)

 

Worth a try while you wait, right? Hoping it all goes well for you and you get the birth you want!

jesusfollower is offline  
#6 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
 
ZoeJane'sMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Norman, Ok
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks ladies for so supportive. And yes the gel is gentler along with the strip thing but since it directly causes dilation or contractions of the cervix it has been said that it leads to rupture or something. But if you have not had a csection those other methods are much more gentle and most of the time you can use one and go home until you labor gets closer so you do not have to be monitored in the hospital and you can stay more relaxed.

 

And thanks for the links on the natural inductions I have tried almost all those including the accupressure, I just think he needs a few more days my babies like to cook longer but man is sure hard to be over your due date. What really stinks is the million and one people asking you every day "Where is that baby" like i have some kind telepathic sense or something.


Student Mother  and Wife hang.gif 29 married to DH 31 jammin.gif since 03 Zoe Elizabeth Jane 4.75 energy.gif and Jace Aaron Edward 12/12/11 babyboy.gif

ZoeJane'sMommy is offline  
#7 of 8 Old 12-12-2011, 01:11 PM
 
junebugmidwife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: A cold, cold land
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Another option for getting your cervix started is to put what is known as a Foley bulb inside your cervix to help it stretch--no meds, just the pressure of the little balloon full of water between the baby's head and cervix works on opening.  This is an option who have had a prior Cesarean birth.  This can be used with or without pitocin simultaneously.  Good luck.

junebugmidwife is offline  
#8 of 8 Old 12-12-2011, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
 
ZoeJane'sMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Norman, Ok
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well thanks for all the advice, I did start out with small doses of pictocin and didn't get very far and had to have an emergency c-section. He had been trying to get out all along but was just way too big for my canal. He was 9lbs 9oz and was 22 inches long. Most of his weight is in his head. I love my hospital and they did everything I asked and were very supportive. I am sad I could not VBAC but in the end I have a beautiful and healthy little boy so what more could I ask!!!


Student Mother  and Wife hang.gif 29 married to DH 31 jammin.gif since 03 Zoe Elizabeth Jane 4.75 energy.gif and Jace Aaron Edward 12/12/11 babyboy.gif

ZoeJane'sMommy is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off