Co-op chat open!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 100 Old 02-24-2011, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yay!!!!  thankyouthankyou!  i have missed mdc co-ops so much.

I'd love American Apparel/trendyblanks, sternlein socks and tights, yarn.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#32 of 100 Old 02-24-2011, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

MDC is also going to be revamping the entire Trading Post format shortly, and I think y'all are going to *love* it. Co-ops will be in all new home, and it's going to be so nice. Thank you so much for your continued support. I am *so* happy to have co-ops back. My cloth shopping bags I got in an MDC eco-bag co-op 7? years ago are looking pretty nasty at this point....

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#33 of 100 Old 02-24-2011, 06:22 PM

I'm still not quite getting the "coop" thing.....So you buy directly from a manufacturer? Or a distributor? Or either? And do you pay the wholesale price, or some other price?

#34 of 100 Old 02-24-2011, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ha! I can't believe we forgot to mention that part! It's the whole reason for co-ops: the discount! It varies by company, but typically we get 30-50% off. thumb.gif

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#35 of 100 Old 02-24-2011, 07:46 PM

Tierra Farms

eat.gif

&

Mountain Rose Herbs

love.gif

treemom2 likes this.

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#36 of 100 Old 02-25-2011, 06:18 PM

I'm an account holder with Sophie the Giraffe & Lunchskins, if anyone is interested in those.  I'd be happy to host, fill out the app & all - it helps me out b/c as a small business owner, I can't always afford the minimum order!

Lunchskins are awesome!  If you haven't seen them, I'm extremely happy with the way the run through the dishwasher, which is the big deal, really.

#37 of 100 Old 02-25-2011, 08:02 PM

I encourage anyone who is interested in hosting to go ahead and look over the requirements and fill out an organizer application. smile.gif Co-op applications can be submitted up to 3 months before the co-op will take place, but need to be submitted by the 10th of the month preceding the co-op, at a minimum. So, start planning! smile.gif

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#38 of 100 Old 02-26-2011, 07:42 AM

I'd love to see Enwrapture Vintage por favor. orngbiggrin.gif

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#39 of 100 Old 02-26-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riomidwife View Post

I'm still not quite getting the "coop" thing.....So you buy directly from a manufacturer? Or a distributor? Or either? And do you pay the wholesale price, or some other price?

Here's how it works:
You will place your order with the mama that is running the coop. Sometimes it is wholesale price, other times it is a discounted group buy price.

You send payment via Paypal to the coop organizer. When the items come in, the organizer ships them to you.

It's easy and fun!

#40 of 100 Old 02-26-2011, 08:03 AM

oh, i want to host one.  better get my post count up.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#41 of 100 Old 02-26-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMommyNiceNice View Post

I'm an account holder with Sophie the Giraffe & Lunchskins, if anyone is interested in those.  I'd be happy to host, fill out the app & all - it helps me out b/c as a small business owner, I can't always afford the minimum order!

Lunchskins are awesome!  If you haven't seen them, I'm extremely happy with the way the run through the dishwasher, which is the big deal, really.

I'm afraid that wouldn't work with the new requirements. We will only be doing coops directly with a company. So we would have to be ordering directly from the company. We are no longer able to host coop through distributors or third parties smile.gif Thanks for understanding.

Thanks so much for understanding everyone that this topic is not up for debate. If any members have questions about this policy, please send me a PM smile.gif

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#42 of 100 Old 02-26-2011, 10:11 PM

I would love to see a Kathy Kruse co-op.  My daughter is finally interested in dolls!

#43 of 100 Old 02-26-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BathrobeGoddess View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMommyNiceNice View Post

I'm afraid that wouldn't work with the new requirements. We will only be doing coops directly with a company. So we would have to be ordering directly from the company. We are no longer able to host coop through distributors or third parties smile.gif Thanks for understanding.

Thanks so much for understanding everyone that this topic is not up for debate. If any members have questions about this policy, please send me a PM smile.gif

I actually read that as her saying she already had a purchasers account with those companies, so wouldn't have to go through their application process.  Not that she's a distributor. 

I'm actually wondering about Dharma - I may want to contact the company, because they're local to me.  If I host the co-op and pick up from their warehouse, see if I could save on shipping to host. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#44 of 100 Old 02-27-2011, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

I actually read that as her saying she already had a purchasers account with those companies, so wouldn't have to go through their application process.  Not that she's a distributor

That's how I read MissMommyNiceNice's comment too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

I'm actually wondering about Dharma - I may want to contact the company, because they're local to me.  If I host the co-op and pick up from their warehouse, see if I could save on shipping to host. 

That would be great!

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#45 of 100 Old 02-27-2011, 09:40 AM

enwrapture vintage and easy lunchboxes or another kind of bento style lunch box.

hh2.gif

#46 of 100 Old 02-27-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I actually read that as her saying she already had a purchasers account with those companies, so wouldn't have to go through their application process. Not that she's a distributor.

I know the new rules a bit confusing. I understood it this way as well and this sort of buy is not allowed under the new guidelines. Only companies that allow coops (not through a resale account, this is why it is considered a third party) directly are allowed. Since the new guidelines are that MDC moderators contact the company directly to ask if a coop discount is allowed (unlike the old method where they forwarded a letter), and to forward the turns of such a buy it shouldn't matter if a member had an account or not with a company as the organizer would be doing just that, organizing. It is a pretty safe guess that any company that requires interested parties to have a resale license to buy wholesale, do not allow coops. There are a couple exceptions of course but it is a good general rule smile.gif

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#47 of 100 Old 02-28-2011, 09:30 AM

This too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebethmom View Post

I would love to see a Kathy Kruse co-op.  My daughter is finally interested in dolls!

#48 of 100 Old 02-28-2011, 09:42 AM

Ah, I see.  I must have mis-read.  My apologies.  Well, good news is that I know that lunchskins hosts co ops, so that would be great.  I could probably do it next month, once I hear if my application to host is approved. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BathrobeGoddess View Post

Quote:
I actually read that as her saying she already had a purchasers account with those companies, so wouldn't have to go through their application process. Not that she's a distributor.

I know the new rules a bit confusing. I understood it this way as well and this sort of buy is not allowed under the new guidelines. Only companies that allow coops (not through a resale account, this is why it is considered a third party) directly are allowed. Since the new guidelines are that MDC moderators contact the company directly to ask if a coop discount is allowed (unlike the old method where they forwarded a letter), and to forward the turns of such a buy it shouldn't matter if a member had an account or not with a company as the organizer would be doing just that, organizing. It is a pretty safe guess that any company that requires interested parties to have a resale license to buy wholesale, do not allow coops. There are a couple exceptions of course but it is a good general rule smile.gif

#49 of 100 Old 03-01-2011, 10:13 AM

FuzziBunz One Size Cloth Diapers...I'm in the market, and as I'm a busy mom, freelance writer and full time student, I need AIO's that work. Let me know if we can do this! (crossing fingers....)

Blog in profile*Sea turtle mother to 5 boysfencing.gifguitar.gifnotes.gifblueman.gif, and a beautiful rainbow girl dust.gif!!!! married to my best friendsuperhero.gif& enjoying my pup dog2.gif.Lost our little twins *Simon&Alexander* in 2009brokenheart.gif

#50 of 100 Old 03-01-2011, 11:03 AM

I was so excited to see the coops running again. I used to run coops very successfully here. I'm disappointed to see the new 2000 post rule considering. Is there any way your past proven experience and loads of positive feedback as a successful mdc coop host can get you grandfathered in? Feel free to pm.

Cindy + DH Paul = DS1 (4/26/06), DS2 (11/30/07), DD (12/20/10) & surprise 4th edition coming in April 2014.

Bradley Method Natural Childbirth Educator, Doula, and Breastfeeding Counselor

#51 of 100 Old 03-01-2011, 01:17 PM

I'd love to see mercurious too.

Also Bumby (wool soakers and longies) I know she's done coops on Diaper Swappers before

smartwool socks

Little Boppers fitted diapers

Others I've participated in that others may want to do...

Signing TIme

For Crying Out Loud (on hyena cart)

ETA: CJ's Naturals

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#52 of 100 Old 03-01-2011, 01:44 PM

I love this idea!! 

#53 of 100 Old 03-01-2011, 07:37 PM

Okay, I've been thinking bout my wish list...

boba baby carriers

inspired by finn

holziger

nordic naturals

happy green bee

owool

#54 of 100 Old 03-03-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post

Sweet!!!

My suggestion: Lunchbots!!

I was coming here to request the EXACT same thing!!!

#55 of 100 Old 03-03-2011, 03:49 PM

mama cloth with hemp

purplegirl likes this.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#56 of 100 Old 03-04-2011, 05:22 AM

Tierra Farms and Mercurius!!!!!!!

purplegirl likes this.
#57 of 100 Old 03-04-2011, 08:33 PM

Are the co-ops on here Canadian friendly? :)

Serena - married to Jason, mom to Sebastian (b.12.22.2008) and Poppy (b.07.07.2011) ♥

#58 of 100 Old 03-04-2011, 11:28 PM

Serena, it's up to each organizer whether they'll ship to Canada. In the past, we've had a lot of Canadian-friendly co-ops. smile.gif

#59 of 100 Old 03-05-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post

Serena, it's up to each organizer whether they'll ship to Canada. In the past, we've had a lot of Canadian-friendly co-ops. smile.gif

Yay!!! so good to hear :)

Serena - married to Jason, mom to Sebastian (b.12.22.2008) and Poppy (b.07.07.2011) ♥

#60 of 100 Old 03-06-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artichokie View Post

Frontier. please.

yes please!!

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page