What can I take while pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-16-2011, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'd like to know what is safe to take during pregnancy.  Currently I am taking St.John's Wort, Inositol, Green Oats (for depression/anger) a multi-vitamin pack that includes additional B-complex and high quality fish oil, and glutathione (for gallbladder issues). I am about 6 weeks pregnant with my 3rd and I'm 38 years old.  From everything that I've read, there are not enough studies to say that these supplements (specifically the St Johns wort, inositol and glutathione) are safe so the recommendation is not to take them.  I plan on being careful with getting enough exercise, sunlight and sleep to hopefully offset the depression but I'm worried that it may not be enough.  I'm also going to completely cut out gluten which makes me irritable and foggy.  I tend to be highly affected by my hormones.  Before I got pregnant I was planning to go to someone to check for hormone imbalance.

For some history, I have strong family history of both thyroid disease and depression.  So far I have tested negative for thyroid disease but it has been several years since my last test.  My previous pregnancies have been mostly uneventful, with the exception that my first baby was IUGR due to blood clots in my placenta and I subsequently tested heterozygous for MTHFR.  My second pregnancy they put me on 5mg Folic acid and low-dose aspirin and the second pregnancy and delivery were perfect aside from the fact that I developed my anger issues while preg with my second.  Any insight would be appreciated!!

Aprilmoon1 likes this.
#2 of 2 Old 05-31-2011, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Generally, I recommend that pregnant women stick to herbs that are more like foods and can be consumed with the daily diet.  Things like ginger, curry, mint, rosemary, garlic and the like have been part of pregnant women's diets for millenia.  When it comes to herbal extracts and supplements, the answers are less clear, as many have not been studied in pregnant and nursing women.  I would suggest if you have specific health concerns, you consult with a licensed naturopathic physician or midwife who can appropriately advise you on what is safe for you to take during pregnancy.

Warmly,

Dr. Jennifer

Jennifer Karon-Flores, ND | Bambú Clinic 838 SW 1st Ave Ste 330 Portland OR 97204 | 503/274-9360 | www.bambuclinic.com

Jennifer Karon-Flores, ND | www.nurtureclinic.com | Appointments in person, by phone & Skype 503/701-8766 |

Meeting you where you are, supporting you on your journey to whole body wellness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page