Taking only T4 Thyroid Hormone During Pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-16-2011, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you so much for doing this--really appreciate it! I would be curious to know your opinion on this issue. I take Levothroid T4, but have contemplated taking a natural replacement, or even just adding in some T3. I had my thyroid removed back in 2008 due to hyperthyroidism that I couldn't get under control. I would like to have another baby, and have read some articles on pregnancy and thyroid medication. I am concerned that the T4 is inadequate during pregnancy on some level, since it seems to be inadequate for so many people anyway. What do you think? Also, I had a doctor tell me that he doesn't prescribe Armour or other "natural" thyroid sources for those with autoimmune thyroid issues because he thinks it causes further allergy/inflammation for those individuals. My thought is that most of the people needing thyroid hormone would have some form of autoimmune disorder...so, no one should be taking natural thyroid? I'd love to have your input. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You know, the issue of natural thyroid and autoimmune disease is a common point of discussion among myself and my colleagues.  You are correct that most thyroid disease is autoimmune, and the concern with giving a natural thyroid replacement is that it may worsen the autoimmune condition.  For some people, this does indeed seem to happen, and for others it does not.  I generally have a T3/T4 bioidentical medication compounded by a pharmacist.  This gives me greater flexibility in dialing in the exact prescription that each patient needs, and it does not seem to cause exacerbation of auto-immunity (this is tested by looking at thyroid antibody levels on a blood test).  I can also add in co-factors for thyroid health such a nutrients that nourish the thyroid and other endocrine glands.  Compounding is more expensive, but in my opinion it is worth it to get the best fit for each patient.  And, as for T3 and T4, both are needed for optimal endocrine function.  Some people can convert T4 to T3 more efficiently than others, so some do fine on just T4, and others need both hormones to feel their best.  Again - there is no "one size fits all" prescription.

Warmly,

Dr. Jennifer

Jennifer Karon-Flores, ND | Bambú Clinic 838 SW 1st Ave Ste 330 Portland OR 97204 | 503/274-9360 | www.bambuclinic.com

Jennifer Karon-Flores, ND | www.nurtureclinic.com | Appointments in person, by phone & Skype 503/701-8766 |

Meeting you where you are, supporting you on your journey to whole body wellness

User Tag List