Contraception while nursing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-08-2011, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My twins are 10 months old and I am still nursing them.  They do eat a good bit of food too, but I still have not started cycling yet.  I am not looking to conceive right now, but I also am not excited about taking the pill.  I am worried about losing milk supply and about the babies getting hormones in the milk.  How safe is the pill while nursing really? 

#2 of 4 Old 06-09-2011, 09:36 AM

Some women do fine with the "mini-pill," a progestin-only pill, but I have seen others have trouble with milk supply.  I agree that even though the mini-pill is considered safe while nursing, the possibility of the hormones in your milk is real, and we really don't know the long-term health implications to children who received milk with these hormones.  Have you considered an IUD?  Those are generally well-tolerated and do not have the systemic hormonal implications of the pill.  Other women find that condoms are really the best way to go.

Warmly,

Dr. Jennifer

Jennifer Karon-Flores, ND | Bambú Clinic 838 SW 1st Ave Ste 330 Portland OR 97204 | 503/274-9360 |www.bambuclinic.com

Jennifer Karon-Flores, ND | www.nurtureclinic.com | Appointments in person, by phone & Skype 503/701-8766 |

Meeting you where you are, supporting you on your journey to whole body wellness

#3 of 4 Old 06-09-2011, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

I have considered the IUD, but having heard some terrible stories, even about the new ones, I am intimidated.  I am allergic to latex, and so don't generally use condoms, although they do make non-latex condoms...  I guess nothing is perfect.

#4 of 4 Old 06-09-2011, 09:15 PM

I am often asked by patients about "natural birth control."  I explain that there is no such thing that is reliable.  Birth control is important in modern society, but it really is going against nature.  While the IUD does have some very small risks, in general many women find it a great alternative if they do not want hormonal methods and are in-between pregnancies.  And yes, there are non-latex condoms, and some women find the natural latex condoms do not irritate in the same way as synthetic latex condoms.  Of course, with a latex allergy, either type of latex is not an option.

Good luck on your decision!

Dr. Jennifer

Jennifer Karon-Flores, ND | Bambú Clinic 838 SW 1st Ave Ste 330 Portland OR 97204 | 503/274-9360 | www.bambuclinic.com

Jennifer Karon-Flores, ND | www.nurtureclinic.com | Appointments in person, by phone & Skype 503/701-8766 |

Meeting you where you are, supporting you on your journey to whole body wellness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page