Bladder control question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-07-2011, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

So I have an issue and I'm worried that it might take more than kegel exercises to fix it. Though I'll admit, I haven't been doing kegel exercises very often. I'm not currently pregnant, my children are 6 and 4. When I sit on the toilet and urinate, after I am finished, I tense up my pelvic floor muscles and push with my abdominal muscles at the same time and I am able to expel quite a bit more urine. So even when I think I am done urinating, I do this and there is always more hiding in there. In the past few months, I have had a couple of bouts with food poisoning/stomach flu. And when I vomit I urinate uncontrollably! Just the other night, I had just finished urinating when I got the urge to throw up. And as I vomited so much more urine came out, and I had honestly just finished. So I literally have to vomit with a towel under me now because I expel so much urine. I'm wondering why there is so much urine left in my bladder after I finish going to the bathroom and why can I make it come out when I tense my pelvic floor muscles and push? And is this really something that I can fix with Kegels or could it be something more serious? My grandmother had to have surgery to fix her bladder issues a few years ago and I'm afraid I'm heading in that same direction. Oh, I don't normally urninate when I sneeze, but I do when I'm jumping, like when I play volleyball or take a zumba dance class. But it's normally only a little bit then.

Thanks so much!

Jenn

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#2 of 3 Old 07-09-2011, 10:39 AM

I'm interested to hear the expert reply, but I'll chime in with a non-drug, non-surgical, resource to consider - biofeedback therapy.  My mother is an RN and biofeedback therapist (and former patient herself) who administers this sort of treatment; patients are screened for medical conditions before treatment begins and usually they have very good success provided patents adhere to the therapy and practice.  It's kind of like PT for your bladder.

See if you can find a practioner in your area that offers something similar to this: http://www.womancarepc.com/services/bladder_control_center/biofeedback/

#3 of 3 Old 07-10-2011, 10:01 PM

I would highly recommend that you seek out a physical therapist who specializes in pelvic floor physical therapy.  A pelvic floor physical therapist will be able to assess all the muscles, ligaments, and overall structure of your pelvic floor and bladder / uterine area.  While kegel exercises can be helpful in some cases, if there is a muscular or ligament imbalance, kegels can actually enhance the imbalance and further exacerbate the problem.  If you see a gynecologist or midwife for your annual exams, as her who she recommends in your area for assessment of pelvic floor and bladder issues.  It definitely sounds like your bladder is not emptying fully, and an assessment of the issue is indicated.

Jennifer Karon-Flores, ND | www.nurtureclinic.com | Appointments in person, by phone & Skype 503/701-8766 |

Meeting you where you are, supporting you on your journey to whole body wellness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page