I always get sick right before my period starts - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-28-2011, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just starting to get over a sinus infection and bronchitis that originated with a cold, and got my period yesterday. I'm 4.5 months post-partum, got my period back at 6 weeks post-partum, and got a cold with every period but the first since I had my baby. There have been a lot of colds going around here this summer, and I don't usually get sick EVERY month, but every time I do get sick it is right before my period starts. This has been going on for years, at least since I had my first daughter, who is 10.

Obviously this is pretty frustrating and I would like to do something about it- it was so nice to only get 1 cold the whole time I was pregnant! Do you think it could be iron levels?

Thanks!

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2011, 02:45 PM

How frustrating!  This is actually a relatively common occurrence among female patients in my practice.  Menses is a time for the body to get rid of things (emotional and physical), and sometimes that can spill over into an all-over detox, not just menstrual flow.  I would recommend getting some hormone levels - estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, thyroid, and adrenal.  Complete blood count, iron, ferritin and Vitamin D are also very helpful.  An imbalance in any one of these can cause trouble, and often more than one is out of balance.  I would suggest that you visit a licensed naturopathic physician, as they are trained to look for subtle shifts that can cause big problems.  An ND can also run some alternative testing that a conventional MD will not run - adrenal stress index and one example.  Depending upon what shows up in this testing, I might also do some digestive testing to see how things are functioning in that system.  Digestion is very much tied to immune function, and often imbalances can lead to frequent infections - colds, flus, etc.

Jennifer Karon-Flores, ND | www.nurtureclinic.com | Appointments in person, by phone & Skype 503/701-8766 |

Meeting you where you are, supporting you on your journey to whole body wellness

Old 07-29-2011, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, lots of stuff I never would have thought of, thanks so much!

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

User Tag List