postpartum having 2 periods/month - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-29-2011, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hi ...

just wondering what you might think about my having had 2 periods a month for the past 2.5 months ( more or less).  my son is 15 months old and my period returned when he was about 7 months old. at first they were sporadic...every other month approx but the last almost 3 months they have been every 2 weeks more or less...sometimes a bit more, sometimes less.  they are full periods...5 days, pretty heavy as that is my usual.  i am still on-demand breastfeeding and he drinks plenty of milk all day and night.  i don't feel tired...but maybe a bit more out of whack emotionally.  do you think this is a normal process of my period getting back to its former self or is it something I should be concerned about?  thanks for your time.

#2 of 2 Old 07-30-2011, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Usually when I am looking at a woman's menstrual cycle, I look 3 cycles in a row to determine whether something is a pattern, or for want of a better word, a "blip."  Blips happen sometimes - stress, travel, hormones - all of these things can throw a cycle off and make it longer or shorter than usual.  If it happens twice in a row, I pay attention, and if it happens 3 or more times in a row, it is a pattern (as opposed to a blip) and that is when I being assessing and treating.  Sometimes this means hormone testing, other times it means looking at other issues.  Since your more frequent cycles have been occurring for almost 3 months, which is about 6 cycles, I would suggest you see a naturopathic physician, gynecologist, or nurse practitioner who can appropriately assess your health, including hormones.  Obviously, since your son is breastfeeding, any treatment would have to be safe for you and for him.  There are many natural treatments available that are safe while breastfeeding.  The specific treatment that is right for you will depend upon the cause of more frequent periods.

Jennifer Karon-Flores, ND | www.nurtureclinic.com | Appointments in person, by phone & Skype 503/701-8766 |

Meeting you where you are, supporting you on your journey to whole body wellness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page