I have a question for you about a previous diagnosis of "unexplained infertility" and how it related to future pregnancies.
It took us one stressful, loooooong year to conceive our son. Near the end we had seen a RE who ran every test in the book (HSG, SA, etc, even had a laprascopy to check for endo) and everything came back normal. We even tried a few months of clomid/IUIs and were unsuccessful. We finally gave up and took a romantic vacation and conceived our son all on our own.
Our beautiful boy is three now and we just started trying for another baby. We're no longer in our late 20s, we're in our early 30s. I've been reading the research about a decline in fertility as you age and, given my previous difficulty conceiving, I'm starting worry that we're in for another long emotional rollercoaster.
Can you tell me, if one has a diagnosis of unexplained infertility with their first child will they likely struggle to conceive future pregnancies?
I understand that even with perfectly timed intercourse, the chances of conceiving each month are only 15-25%. Is there anything I can do to increase the odds?
Unexplained infertility is a mystery, but there are certainly things that a couple can do to increase their odds of conceiving. I often work with couples who have gone the conventional route to no avail, only to find that after a month, a year, or even more of exploring other facets of their fertility that - viola - they get pregnant! And, just because you had trouble conceiving your first does not mean you will have trouble with your second. Areas I generally explore with women and couples trying to conceive include:
- Diet. Clean it up, emphasize organic (especially proteins!), cut out the junk
- Stress management - talk about what upsets you, find ways to deal with stress such as yoga, meditation, walking, qi gong, counseling - whatever works for you
- Acupuncture and naturopathic medicine - find someone who specializes in fertility / pre-conception in your area. There are some herbs and supplements that can really help enhance fertility, but you must see someone who specializes in this area to get appropriate prescriptions. Acupuncture can be very helpful.
- Converse with the baby being you are calling into your lives. Be clear about your intentions, so that these outweigh your fears of infertility.
- Romance! Your story about conceiving your first says a lot - the stress of "trying to conceive" can really make the beauty of partnership and conception seem, well, not so beautiful. Finding ways to remind each other of the beauty of your partnership can help conception.
- Sometimes there are some hormonal or other issues that a naturopathic physician can identify that may not be picked up by an MD. To find an ND in your area, visit www.naturopathic.org
Best wishes as you embark on this journey!
Jennifer Karon-Flores, ND |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Appointments in person, by phone & Skype 503/701-8766 |
Meeting you where you are, supporting you on your journey to whole body wellness
|50 members and 20,272 guests|
|Anne Jividen , averysmomma05 , beep , Binduspire , bugmenot , cloa513 , DahliaRW , Deborah , Dovenoir , emmy526 , hillymum , imoverit , japonica , jcdfarmer , JElaineB , joycef , junipermuse , Katherine73 , kathymuggle , keepingFAITH , lilmissgiggles , lisak1234 , Lydia08 , mamabear0314 , Mamalari , mckittre , Michele123 , Mirzam , MylittleTiger , NaturallyKait , newmamalizzy , oaksie68 , otterandsun_mama , philomom , Pixy Andersson , rocky , RollerCoasterMama , rubelin , sarrahlnorris , shantimama , siennaflower , sren , Sugarbaby416 , tifga , woolseywoo , zebra15|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.|