supplements - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-29-2011, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I'm 35 and been ttc for a year with my DW via IUI in the doctor's office or ICI at home. I've seen a RE for the past 8mths- i've gone through 2 HSG procedures and have a polypectomy in March. Everything is good now.

I have been trying to use different supplements some of which I heard are helpful for fertility.

I'm taking fish oil, 5HTP, just started taking evening primrose.

I'm also taking l'arginine. I don't know if it is best to take before or after Ovulation. Do you have any thoughts?

Me (37) married my lovely DW (33) May 2010 stillheart.gif  ttc #1 since September 2010. 3 years of ttc has been tough. Currently struggling with some ovulatory issues (follies don't grow quickly - trouble releasing) At a cross roads: go strong on meds or begin to turn over babymaking to DW. This is very...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2011, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Since I do not know your health history and am not your physician, it would be inappropriate for me to comment on whether these supplements are good choices for you.  I can tell you that in general, I have most of my patients take high-dose fish oil daily, and for women who are menstruating, generally they add evening primrose oil during the second half of their cycle.  5-HTP is useful for people who have symptoms of low serotonin, especially poor sleep and depression. 

In general, for women who are TTC and have not been successful, I recommend a thorough testing panel with a naturopathic physician or holistic MD or NP.  This may include, depending upon history, one or more of the following:

Thyroid panel including free hormones & antibodies

Adrenal stress index

MTHFR mutations

The above tests are often not run, even for women who have had a thorough work-up with a RE.  Of course, the testing is just one part of a fertility plan - you need to work with someone who knows how to interpret the above testing and treat issues that are found.  I hope this is helpful.

Warmly,

Dr. Jennifer

www.nurtureclinic.com

Jennifer Karon-Flores, ND | www.nurtureclinic.com | Appointments in person, by phone & Skype 503/701-8766 |

Meeting you where you are, supporting you on your journey to whole body wellness

User Tag List