Milk Supply issues possibly due to low progesterone??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-04-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Jennifer, I will try to keep this as brief as possible. Thank you for reading this. I have a 5 1/2 month old daughter. After experiencing two miscarriages & no live births my doctor put me on 200mg prometrium suppositories to hold onto my 3rd pregnancy when my levels went from 21 to 14.9 during week 4 of the pregnancy.

Prior to this pregnancy, my progesterone levels had never been checked so I cannot say for sure if that is why I lost the first two pregnancies... though I suspect my progesterone levels may have had something to do with the losses. I was on the suppositories from week 5-week 10 and had a planned homebirth at week 41 & 1 day. Aside from needing the progesterone, I had an uncomplicated healthy pregnancy. I did experience a retained placenta but one of my CNM's was able to remove it at home.

Breastfeeding has been very challenging. I never felt my milk "come in", never got engorged, don't feel a letdown. I was diagnosed by two IBCLC's as having IGT. My breasts don't fit the physical characteristics of IGT so I don't think that an LC could have diagnosed me pre-pregnancy. It wasn't until I had milk supply issues that a problem would have been suspected. I make maybe 1-2 ounces total per day. I still breastfeed by way of an SNS. I take Goats Rue, Alfalfa & domperidone in the hopes of not losing my already paltry milk supply.

So... my question to you is: Have you encountered women who took progesterone early in pregnancy (due to levels being low) who then went on to have low milk supply? I am hoping that if I take progesterone during the duration of my next pregnancy I will be able to significantly increase my milk supply.

I'm a Babywearing slinggirl.gif, Cloth diaperingcd.gif, BFing bfinfant.gifusing an SNS, Bedsharing Mamafamilybed1.gif to  DD babygirl.gifborn July '11 at homehomebirth.jpg

#2 of 2 Old 01-09-2012, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm so sorry to hear of your challenges with breastfeeding, but am so happy that your dedication to bonding with your baby has led you to use a SNS.  I have seen women have low milk supply when they were on the "mini-pill," progestin-only birth control, while breastfeeding.  In my experience, I have not seen low supply occur with a history of progesterone suppositories in pregnancy, though I have had only a few patients who have used progesterone in the way that you did. 

Best wishes to you and your family!

Warmly,

Dr. Jennifer

www.nurtureclinic.com

Jennifer Karon-Flores, ND | www.nurtureclinic.com | Appointments in person, by phone & Skype 503/701-8766 |

Meeting you where you are, supporting you on your journey to whole body wellness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page