Chaga and breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-08-2012, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can you drink medicinal chaga if you are nursing?

thanks!

(I also posted this in the "breastfeeding" section, but figured you might know more about it...if not, please could you direct me to somebody who might?  I really appreciate it.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-09-2012, 08:42 PM

Chaga is relatively new on the scene in the US, and I don't know much about it.  My concern would not only be the mushroom itself, but also the growing medium and any toxins that might be contained in it.  Many herbal supplements harvested and manufactured outside the US contain heavy metals and other toxins, due to where they are grown or how they are manufactured.  When in doubt, I counsel against using something while breastfeeding.  If you have a particular health condition and are trying to navigate natural treatment while breastfeeding, I highly recommend working with a licensed naturopathic physician or midwife. 

Here is the finder for a naturopathic physician in your area:

www.naturopathic.org

Warmly,

Dr. Jennifer

www.nurtureclinic.com

Jennifer Karon-Flores, ND | www.nurtureclinic.com | Appointments in person, by phone & Skype 503/701-8766 |

Meeting you where you are, supporting you on your journey to whole body wellness

#3 of 3 Old 01-10-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Hi!

Thanks for the reply.  I would also tend to avoid something like that as a supplement because of the unknown variables, even if I wasn't nursing.  However, the chaga mushrooms that I have were cut from wild birch trees in rural Maine where my brother lives...he makes chaga cubes for himself and his partner, and gave us a jar (and a tea recipe) for Christmas.  So, it's not processed in some mysterious place or anything.  It just comes from a tree in the woods near my brother's cabin. 

But still, I think the advice to avoid it is fine, especially since I have no real reason to be drinking chaga tea anyway, other than that it was a gift (and is somehow intriguing!). 

thanks, and if you have any more advice I'd love to hear it.

Daisy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page