Milk causing breakouts/late periods? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-08-2012, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am wondering if it is possible for dairy to cause pimples and irregular periods etc? I think there is a correlation between my dairy intake and my period suddenly being MIA. I have had problems with irregular menstrual cycles in the past, but for the past 4-5 months it has been very timely. Lately, I have been consuming more dairy, so I'm wondering if dairy could be the culprit.

#2 of 2 Old 01-09-2012, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You are very observant!  Yes, dairy is one of the most common food allergies and sensitivities, and can cause a host of problems for those who can not tolerate it.  Acne is one of the most common reactions, along with digestive problems and eczema.  In addition, because dairy often contains bovine growth hormone as well as natural cow hormones, it can definitely affect hormonal rhythms.  When in doubt, I have patients cut it out for at least a month to see if things clear up.  However, to know if it is affecting a menstrual cycle, often 3-months dairy-free is necessary.  During the dairy-free time, I make sure that my patient is consuming other calcium-rich foods and/or taking a calcium supplement.  If dairy is the problem, often a dairy-free diet is the best solution.  I remind patients that cow milk is made to feed baby cows, and that in a human body, it can cause all sort of problems because our body was not designed to ingest milk from another species. 

Warmly,

Dr. Jennifer

www.nurtureclinic.com

Jennifer Karon-Flores, ND | www.nurtureclinic.com | Appointments in person, by phone & Skype 503/701-8766 |

Meeting you where you are, supporting you on your journey to whole body wellness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page