How to take vitex? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-09-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dear Dr. Karon-Flores,

A few months back, I had hormone testing done throughout my cycle to determine if there was any obvious cause for 2 miscarriages and subsequent infertility.  The result was that nothing was glaringly wrong, but many things were only borderline normal (for example, estrogen and progesterone levels in a somewhat short luteal phase.) 

In researching natural remedies to the situation, I came across vitex.  The bottle says to take it twice a day for 2 cycles, then once a day as maintenance, but it also says not to take while pregnant.  If I do become pregnant while taking the vitex, and considering that low progesterone may have been a contributing factor to the miscarriages, can I just stop taking it?  Should I take it through the first trimester?  

Thank you! 

Homeschooling mama to DS (9/03), DD (VBAC, 4/06) and missing our s (10/4/09 & 12/28/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Vitex does help to increase progesterone, and often is taken during the second half of the menstrual cycle.  Some midwives and herbalists do use it to help boost progesterone during the second half of the cycle, after ovulation.  However, as I am not a midwife and do not treat pregnancy, I can not speak to using it once pregnancy has been confirmed.  I recommend consulting a midwife or looking for a book on natural fertility.  One that comes to mind:  Green Fertility: Nature's Secrets for Making Babies.

Warmly,

Dr. Jennifer

www.nurtureclinic.com

Jennifer Karon-Flores, ND | www.nurtureclinic.com | Appointments in person, by phone & Skype 503/701-8766 |

Meeting you where you are, supporting you on your journey to whole body wellness

User Tag List